New Zealand wine is largely produced in ten major wine growing regions spanning latitudes 36° to 45° South and extending 990 mi. The regions are from north to south; Northland, Auckland, Waikato/Bay of Plenty, Gisborne, Hawke's Bay, Wellington, Nelson, Marlborough, Canterbury/Waipara and Central Otago. New Zealand red wines are typically made from a blend of varietals (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and much less often Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot and Malbec), or Pinot Noir. Recently, in Hawkes Bay, there have been wines made from Syrah, either solely or blends, as well as Tempranillo, Montepulciano and Sangiovese. In white wines Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc predominate in plantings and production. Individual wine makers and the particular qualities of a vintage are more likely to determine factors such as malolactic fermentation or the use of oak for aging.
- Item #: i_383270Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR INSIDER 93 POINTS 'WINE OF THE WEEK' - "Stylish, generous and intense, featuring lemon curd, apricot and lime sherbet flavors that are vivid and mouthwatering, accented by details of matcha green tea, white pepper and passion fruit. Delivers terrific follow-through on the finish. Drink now."
ABOUT THIS WINE: "Pioneering Marlborough winemaker Allan Scott helped plant some of the first wine grapes in Marlborough in the 1970s, and then established his eponymous brand as one of the first independent wineries in the region with his wife, Catherine, in 1990. Now their children are working in the family business, with son Josh as chief winemaker. The wines have never skipped a beat, and this wine is a stunning example of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, bursting with intense flavor and lingering long on the finish. Scott harvests and presses grapes in the cool of the night to preserve aromatics, and this wine shows the hallmark of a warmer 2019 vintage, with fruit flavors veering toward the tropical, with a hint of passion fruit." - Wine Spectator
- Item #: i_379448Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "This white mixes power with elegance, delivering generous lemon meringue, orange blossom, peach and dried mango notes, with spice, green tea and floral details swirling about on the long, expressive finish. Drink now. 4,386 cases made."
- Item #: i_381863Bottle Size: 750mlWINERY NOTES - "Imagine yellow-fleshed peaches, rock melon and blackcurrant – a sponge cake with lemon icing, chamomile and hints of rose petal – this is a delicately perfumed and deliciously ripe-fruited interpretation of Marlborough sauvignon blanc. The palate is both subtle and textural, showing considerable ripeness and concentration, with a crisp and long, juicy finish."
We are huge fans of New Zealand wines so it's natural that we would follow Kevin Judd and what he's doing... Kevin's career is intrinsically linked with the global path of Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. He was born in England, grew up in Australia and moved to New Zealand in 1983; soon after he became the founding winemaker at Cloudy Bay and remained there for their first 25 vintages. In 2009, Kevin unveiled his personal venture, Greywacke (pronounced "grey-wacky"), named after New Zealand's prolific bedrock, and fulfilling a long-held dream of his and his wife Kimberley. Once we tasted his wines we were instantly smitten-- these are wines of character, showcasing the terroir they come from, the high quality of New Zealand grapes and the knowledge and talent of the winemaker behind it all. And the critics agree:
"Some of New Zealand's most exciting emerging stars include Greywacke... Kevin Judd takes Marlborough Sauvignon to new heights." - Lisa Perotti-Brown, eRobert Parker.com
- Item #: i_383931Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Notes: "This wine is an extension of the Nattura Sauvignon Blanc process. The wine is destemmed and fermented on skins for a month. The skins are not worked hard, they are included in order to gain all the aromatics possible from the fruit, and to promote a fine thread of phenolics to keep a tension and length in the final wine. Bottled straight after malolactic with no Sulphur addition, this wine is almost in the rawest form possible. It is cloudy and this adds to the overall textural experience." *natural wine*
- Item #: i_383090Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "Peach, pear and citrus flavors are plump and juicy, with a thread of floral details and whiffs of lemongrass and dried mango on the finish. Drink now."
Loveblock is the project of Kim Crawford who helped transform the New Zealand wine industry and make Sauvignon Blanc a household name around the world. Kim Crawford's Sauvignon Blanc continues to be a huge hit with our customers. For his new Loveblock wine,Kim Crawford purschased land and planted vineyards on the hilltops overlooking Marlborough's Awatere Valley. His aim is to create the best wine to express this extraordinary place. New Zealand's signature varietal tends to be bold and big with pugent aromatics. The Loveblock wine focuses more on texture and finesse, while retaining nice acidy. It has beautiful aromatics of white peach, melon and subtle herbaceous notes. On the palate, the mouth feel is generous with nice lift, refinement and minerality. Hints of stone fruit and citrus linger on the long finish. This wine is complex and subtle. Think of it as Kim Crawford dressed up for a night out on the town."
- Item #: i_381001Bottle Size: 750mlDelightfully ripe aromas of gooseberry and white peach are laced with refreshing notes of kaffir lime. The fleshy mid palate is tamed by an underlying minerally acid backbone that culminates in a bright, zesty finish.
A delicious match with most seafood, salads and sheep / goat’s cheese; try the The Ned Sauvignon Blanc with a little snack of crunchy, green pear slices topped with goats cheese, dried cranberries (craisins) and pistachio nuts.
- Item #: i_348320Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90Wine Enthusiast: 91 PointsNautilus Sauvignon Blanc displays intense aromas of ripe passionfruit, elderflower, limes and fresh herbs. The palate introduces a delightful lime/citrus based mouth-watering intensity and finishes with a strong textural component. Delicious upon release, this wine will improve for 3-5 years post vintage.
WINE ENTHUSIAST 91 POINTS - "This wine is a touch salty & flinty to start, which adds character to the notes of lemonline, gooseberry, pineapple rind, honeysuckle & green herbs wafting from the glass. A creamy yet chalky texture is woven with juicy fruit & prickly acidity, ending long & citrusy. Spicy Mexican or Thai cuisine has met its match.Editors' Choice."
WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - " Lemon curd, Key lime and pear flavors are aromatic and intense, set on a smooth and juicy frame, with pretty details of lemongrass, candied ginger and nectarine. Lingering finish."
- Item #: i_377152Bottle Size: 750mlWINERY NOTES - Pale straw green in colour with brilliant clarity, Oyster Bay Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc is zesty and aromatic with lots of lively fruit characters. A concentration of assertive passionfruit and tropical fruit flavours with an abundant bouquet, it is a wine that is always crisp, elegant and refreshing
- Item #: i_383549Bottle Size: 750mlThe cool growing season has produced a wine with intense tropical, cantaloupe, melon and ripe passionfruit aromas with an underlying hint of gooseberry, guava and lychee. This is a wine with great balance, structureand intensity.
- Item #: i_377248Bottle Size: 750MLWINERY NOTES - Lifted passionfruit, grapefruit, gooseberry, and peach fruit flavours, with complexing hints of jalapeno, nettle, boxwood and blackcurrant leaf. A full flavoured, medium bodied wine with a dry, clean finish. Stainless steel fermented.