- Item #: i_302461Bottle Size: 750MLWine Enthusiast: 90 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 90 POINTS - "Forest floor, mature plum, menthol and exotic spice aromas lift out of the glass. On the smooth, savory palate, fine-grained tannins wrap around dried cherry, prune and star anise. "
The Allegrini estate is based in the Valpolicella region of Italy and represents the highest expression of Valpolicella wines. Gambero Rosso, Italy's most important food and wine publication, rated Allegrini a Star winery with over ten Tre Bicchieri ("Three Glasses"-- their top recognition) awards. Palazzo Della Torre is a “Cru” wine coming from a single vineyard. The blend of 70% Corvina, 25% Rondinella and 5% Sangiovese takes two different paths. Thirty percent of the grapes are left to dry on racks till December, in true Amarone style, and the other seventy percent vinified immediately.
The fresh wine is blended with the juice from the dried grapes for a second fermentation and the end result is an absolute sexy wine, deep in ruby red color, with flavors of blackberries and mocha.
- Item #: i_301719Bottle Size: 750mlPRACTICING ORGANIC
Using modern techniques, this is a fairly accessible Barolo in its youth. Along with noticeable French oak aromas (like cedar & cinnamon) come delicate rose & violet, and ripe red fruits. On the palate, there is an elegance in texture, with vibrant acidity and plentiful velvet tannin, and a swirling mix of fruit and spice. The finish is firm and dry, with the apparent sweetness of oak and fruit persisting for a long finish. A modern and classy Barolo that will be even better in 2023.
Arborina is a vineyard in the Barolo zone of La Morra.
- Item #: i_302635Bottle Size: 750mlPRACTICING ORGANIC
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 95 POINTS - "The 2015 Barolo Cannubi is another stellar wine in this range. One of the more closed wines in the lineup, the Cannubi is going to need the better part of a decade to start coming into its own. Today, it is dense, powerful and full of energy, and yet there is a purity to the fruit that represents the purest essence of what Cannubi is all about. There is certainly a lot to look forward to here."
- Item #: i_303521Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96+James Suckling: 97Wine Enthusiast: 96 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 97 POINTS - "A very nuanced but powerful Brunello showing hibiscus, raspberry tea, gunpowder, petrichor, dried orange rind and spearmint. The rows of sharp tannins are very defined and agile, and the acidity is tensely strung up in overtures of vivacious red fruit. A beautiful, nimble Brunello 2015. Drink from 2024."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 96 POINTS - "Underbrush, mature berry and exotic spice aromas mingle with a whiff of leather. Firmly structured and linear, the palate features ripe Marasca cherry, cranberry, licorice and tobacco while tightly wound, fine-grained tannins provide the backbone. Fresh acidity keeps it balanced. Give it time to fully develop. Drink 2023–2035."
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 96 POINTS - "The 2015 Brunello di Montalcino Montosoli has a dark, hauntingly beautiful bouquet, displaying ripe blackberry and cherry with spicy, dark florals, as well as a hint of animal musk, which manages to ground the experience in the earth. On the palate, velvety textures, offset by tart red and black fruits, with juicy acidity maintain balance, as sweet cherries and rosemary give way to a core of minerality and hints of fine tannin. It finishes long and elegant, showing dark inner florals, ripe blackberry and lingering sweet spices. It’s interesting to taste this next to the classic Brunello from 2015, as I find them to be equally enjoyable, but for completely different reasons."
WINE ADVOCATE 96+ POINTS - "Altesino's 2015 Brunello di Montalcino Montosoli shows those celebrated characteristics of this special vineyard cru that are always portrayed with pronounced mineral intensity, with highlights of crushed granite and pencil shaving. Indeed, Altesino's five-hectare Montosoli vineyard sees a greater concentration of clay schist Galestro rock, and the vineyard altitude (at 350 meters above sea level) adds to the wine's perceived freshness. In this case, those mineral notes are applied with small brush strokes, as the core of the wine is occupied by wild fruit and forest berry. Medicinal herb and rosemary essence appear quietly at the back. This is a very compact and bright wine with young tannins and solid structure. It has all the attributes you look for in a candidate that can withstand long cellar aging. I'd suggest waiting five years or more before popping this cork. Some 19,000 bottles were filled in July 2019, and the wine was released in January 2020."
- Item #: i_303352Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95James Suckling: 95WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The Altesino 2015 Brunello di Montalcino shows beautiful depth and latitude, with broad fruit aromas of dark cherry and cassis that recall the warmth and golden sunlight of the vintage. The wine is deceivingly streamlined in terms of mouthfeel, but that slim and buttoned-down backbone supports a broad range of flavors and sensations, from lavender essence and camphor ash to moist soil and toasted spice. All of these elements are delivered with impressive harmony and unity, and I expect that this wine will continue on a slow, steady and satisfying aging trajectory over the next 10 years or more. Fruit is sourced from across 21 hectares of vines with tufaceous limestone soils and Alberese rock, which contributes to the freshness and balanced structure of the wine. The wine was bottled in June 2019 (with 150,000 bottles made), and this wine was released in January 2020."
JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "Terracotta, earth, iron filings, cedar and leather make for an undergrowth-driven Brunello 2015, which doesn’t fall short in the fruit department either, where there are red plums and red cherries. The tannins are neatly stacked, one on top of the other, with tidy acidity drawing in vibrant fruit and keeping it taut throughout. Balanced and stylish. Drink from 2023."
- Item #: i_302497Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "The 2015 Matarocchio (all Cabernet Franc) is a gorgeous wine, but it does not reach the stunning heights achieved in the knock-out 2013 vintage. This wine was not produced in 2014, and only 5,000 bottles were made in this vintage. Compared to the 2013 edition, this wine appears to have a slightly smaller aromatic range. This gives it a very focused and direct approach. In other words, this vintage is more vertical than it is horizontal in its delivery. The tannins are a more evident here and more nervous or crunchy. The wine is composed of deep, dark and penetrating fruit, with bitter chocolate and savory tobacco. It also shows a salty mineral note that makes your mouth salivate."
- Item #: i_303700Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95+James Suckling: 95WINE ADVOCATE 95+ POINTS - "This is a terrific wine and one of the new releases from Montalcino that I happily include on a short list of top recommendations. The Argiano 2015 Brunello di Montalcino shows a very lively bouquet that is already singing despite the young age of this new release. The wine opens to a dark ruby color with garnet highlights. The bouquet shows a large span of wild berry, earth, licorice spice and medicinal herb aromas. This vintage also reveals a pretty floral character with dried rose potpourri and lavender buds. After fermentation, the wine is aged slowly for 30 months in large oak botte (including 10-, 30- and 50-hectoliter capacity), thus restricting oxygen and gently slowing its evolution. However, the 2015 vintage is naturally expressive and exuberant, and that's the main takeaway here."
JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "Very floral on the nose with plums, rose petals and freshly sliced porcini mushrooms. The palate is tight and compressed with beautiful ripe fruit, wet earth and cool, stone flavors. A structured and impressive wine."
- Item #: i_301610Bottle Size: 750mlORGANICALLY FARMED
This is a special wine for Badia a Coltibuono, an homage to the native grape varieties of Tuscany. Made from Mammolo, Ciliegiolo, Pugnitello, Colorino, Sanforte, Malvasia Nera, Canaiolo, Foglia Tonda, and, of course, Sangiovese! Native yeast fermented and aged in barrel individually, then blended according to quality and balance. So as to not cover up the quality fruit too much, mostly previously used barrels are used for a totl of 18-20 months.
WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "What happens when you blend the indigenous grapes Mammolo, Sangiovese, Canaiolo, Ciliegiolo, Colorino, Foglia Tonda, Malvasia Nera, Sanforte and Pugnitello? You get the 2015 Montebello. This is a beautifully intense and curious wine in that it challenges you to come up with precise clues to identify the individual grapes. The bouquet is broadly projected like a wide-screen television, with cherry, blackberry, spice, tar and licorice. The depth and complexity of this vintage is particularly attractive. There is crisp acidity at the end of this mid-weight delivery that makes this wine great for fatty cuts of beef or lamb. This wine may not be for everyone, but I definitely got a charge here. "
- Item #: i_305797Bottle Size: 750mlFor our Wine of the Month #2 in August we're proud to feature an Italian winery that, though relatively small, many Italian wine lovers know well. The Bisci winery and vineyards lie in the central Italian region called Le Marche (MAR-kay), which doesn't benefit from the fame of tourist hotspots like the (understandably) romanticized hills of Chianti. Instead, they've built up recognition for the small Matelica Valley growing region by making high-quality whites and reds at reasonable prices, and letting word of mouth do the rest. Tucked away from Mediterranean influence, the inland valley has a more dramatic climate, yielding wines of great structure and restrained fruit ripeness. Sourced from only 5-acres of organically farmed vineyards, the Rosso Fogliano is a classic Marche mixture of plump and plummy Merlot with the bright cherry and dried herbs of Sangiovese. Like many Italian wines, it really shines with a good meal!
Aromas of firm plum and red cherry with dried herbs create an enticing perfume; in the mouth, the gentle, fine-grained tannin and earthy-herbal qualities provide a firm ground for the silky-textured fruit to splash upon. The medium-bodied weight is a seamless balance of plumpness and firm, fresh acidity. The wine finishes with a moderate length, favoring those earthy-herbal qualities meshed with an almost cordial-like density of cherry and plum. No oak was used in making the wine. This is perfect for dishes with cooked tomato and sausage with rosemary, but will be a flexible partner with a variety of Mediterranean dishes. Buon appetito!
- Item #: i_302873Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "Assertive oak influence that is well-matched to the intense and powerful fruit. The nose is filled with ripe red to black cherries and hints of orange zest. There’s an open weave to the tannins that tightens handsomely into the finish. Shows class. Try from 2023."
- Item #: i_302658Bottle Size: 750ml70% Nebbiolo & 30% Vespolina
"...aromas of woodland berry, dried herb and star anise. It's elegantly structured, featuring red cherry, raspberry, white pepper and orange zest set against taut, elegant tannins. Fresh acidity keeps it balanced. Drink through 2030." - Kerin O'Keefe
From the small Fara wine region of Alta Piemonte (in the hills NW of Novara), this classic blend is aged in large 2100L Allier barrels for 20 months. The Boniperti winery is a third generation endeavor that embraces "slow wine" ideals, and where vineyard and cellar work go hand-in-hand.
- Item #: i_302191Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95James Suckling: 9640% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Petit Verdot, & 20% Cabernet Franc
JAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS - "Aromas of black licorice and blackberry. Blueberry, too. This is so complex. Full body, extremely silky and polished with lovely tannins. Deep and long. It seems powerful and rich yet ends so balanced and refined."
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The 2015 Ilatraia is a drop-dead gorgeous blend...all fruit coming from Brancaia's Maremma vineyards along the Tuscan coast. This warm vintage has shaped an exuberant and intense red wine that hits the palate with lavish richness. The complex bouquet is composed of dark fruit elements that are contrasted seamlessly against spice, sweet tobacco and campfire ash. Yet the mouthfeel is never too heavy or overextracted. There's a lot to enjoy here."
- Item #: i_301034Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 94 PointsORGANICALLY FARMED
The lighter, more elegant, and crisply-fruited of the Brezza single-vineyard Barolos. It results from their highest altitude site that has an even sunlight exposure between morning and afternoon.
WINE ENTHUSIAST 94 POINTS -"Rose, wild berry, aromatic herb and camphor aromas mingle with a whiff of new leather on this full-bodied red. Linear and precise, the elegant palate shows crunchy sour cherry, pomegranate, licorice and orange zest framed in taut, refined tannins. Fresh acidity keeps it balanced. Drink 2022–2030. -Kerin O'Keefe"
- Item #: i_305201Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 97 PointsORGANICALLY FARMED
The broadest-feeling, most tannic of the Brezza single-vineyard lineup, though it maintains a pure, bright fruit and nuance that Brezza is known for. A result of plots facing more of the afternoon sun and a mix of lower and higher altitudes.
WINE ENTHUSIAST 97 POINTS - "Camphor, licorice, ground clove and balsamic herb aromas lead the way along with a whiff of rose on this firmly structured, impressive red. The full-bodied palate shows structure, tension and finesse, offering Marasca cherry, pomegranate, star anise and tobacco set against taut, tightly knit but refined tannins. Drink 2023–2035.
- Item #: i_302023Bottle Size: 750mlPRACTICING ORGANIC
ROSENTHAL IMPORTS - "Garblèt Sue, also known as “Altenasso,” is a subsection of the cru of Fiasco in Castiglione Falletto. Soils here are of sand and clay-limestone marl, but they are richer and less well-drained than those higher on the hill in Fiasco proper. Brovia owns 0.7 hectares of western-exposed Nebbiolo here, planted between 1970 and 1979, and situated at 250 meters altitude (their lowest-altitude cru holding). If “Garblèt Sue” typically shows a hair’s breadth less complexity than its two Castiglione Falletto brethren, it compensates with a generous, exuberant personality and a tendency to drink better earlier. If anything, it punches above its weight class in 2015, offering a core of luscious fruit, an alluring wildness reminiscent of a great “Villero” (see below), and beautifully cushioned tannins."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 96 POINTS - "Enticing varietal scents of pressed rose, new leather, perfumed berry and dark spice fill the glass. Showing power, finesse and restraint, the tight, polished palate delivers crushed raspberry, pomegranate, star anise and tobacco framed in firm, noble tannins. It's vibrant, balanced and ageworthy, with bright acidity. Drink 2024–2035."
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 94 POINTS - "The 2015 Barolo Garblèt Sue' is dense and powerful in the glass. A rush of black cherry, plum, lavender, iron and sage literally burst from the glass. Ample, full-bodied and intense, the Garblèt Sue' is another stellar wine in this range. The typically incisive Garblèt Sue' tannins are nearly buried by the sheer richness of the fruit. Today, the Garblèt Sue' is distinguished by its wild, feral profile and huge core of fruit. In this vintage, the Garblèt is the overachiever in the range relative to how it shows in most vintages."
- Item #: i_303558Bottle Size: 750mlORGANICALLY FARMED
The Brovia single-vineyard wines are vivid demonstrations of their terroirs, and it's always a treat to taste them together to see the differences between the vineyards. 'Classico' is a preferred term for Barolos / Barbarescos that are not single-vineyard wines, as no producer is very keen on calling their wine 'base Barolo' or 'basic Barolo'. Brovia's Barolo (classico) is a blend of 4 vineyards, with the biggest share coming from 25 year-old vines in Brea, which gives the wine a very mineral, chalky backbone. Classico bottlings are always less expensive than the single-vineyards, and there's a strong tendency to diminish the importance of the classico wines in favor of our obsession with the single vineyards, but the best blended Barolos express the complexity that comes from combining fruit from different terroirs - think B. Mascarello, G. Rinaldi. We miss out on some great wine if we ignore a classico wine that's as good as Brovia's, which is altogether a serious wine, and something very fine.
- Item #: i_301192Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94+Wine Enthusiast: 96 PointsPRACTICING ORGANIC FARMING
WINE ENTHUSIAST 96 POINTS - "Rose, woodland berry, star anise, new leather and pipe tobacco meld together with menthol notes on this full-bodied red. On the enveloping, delicious palate, fine-grained tannins accompany juicy Morello cherry, raspberry compote, orange zest and licorice while a note of ground clove lingers on the finish. Drink 2021–2030."
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 94+ POINTS - "The 2015 Barolo Brea Vigna Ca' Mia captures all the best the vintage has to offer. Black cherry, plum, espresso, sage, menthol, licorice and leather are all kicked up a few notches in a decidedly dark, strapping Barolo that screams with Serralunga character. Exotic, dark and totally alluring, the 2015 has a very bright future, but readers should be prepared to be patient, as the tannins clearly need time to soften."
- Item #: i_301361Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 95 PointsPRACTICING ORGANIC
WINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS - "Aromas of rose, woodland berry and menthol with a whiff of pipe tobacco fill the glass. Full bodied and loaded with finesse, the structured, elegant palate delivers juicy Marasca cherry, crushed raspberry, star anise and cinnamon, while taut, fine-grained tannins provide support. Fresh acidity keeps it balanced and focused. Drink 2023–2035."
- Item #: i_302396Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 98JAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS - "Superb aromas of ripe fruit such as plums and berries with peaches and tar. Very intense. Full body, great depth and density. Incredible richness and power with superb length and persistence. One of the most dense and vertical Falletos I have tasted. Try in 2025."
- Item #: i_303643Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 100JAMES SUCKLING 100 POINTS - "I am lost for words with this wine. Perfumed and so elegant with the most exquisite aromas of roses, plums and earth. Yet always subtle and complex. Full body, ultra-fine and firm tannins. Upgraded. Fantastic finish that lasts for minutes. Try in 2026."
- Item #: i_303516Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 95JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "Classic aromas of tar and roses with spices, strawberries and some leather. Full body, round and firm tannins and a chewy finish. A beautiful and unique wine from a great vineyard."
- Item #: i_303003Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95James Suckling: 97JAMES SUCKLING 97 POINTS - "Ripe berry and cherry aromas with hints of spices and cedar. Dried flowers, too. Full-bodied, dense and layered. Fantastic richness and depth. Long, long finish. Best ever."
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "This bottle marks the special 50th anniversary of this wine. A little red sticker on the front label commemorates the five decades that have passed since grandfather Primo Pacenti did his first harvest. The medium-weight Canalicchio di Sopra 2015 Brunello di Montalcino shows a generous spread of forest fruit, licorice, blue flower, bay leaf, Provence herbs and fragrant wet soil aromas. There is a touch of earthy muskiness that some like to refer to as "foxy." Fruit for this Brunello represents a selection of clusters harvested over 10 hectares at 300 to 320 meters above sea level in two sites: Canalicchio and Montosoli. Canalicchio has clay soils for the structure of the wine, and Montosoli adds to the clarity of the aromas. All the vines are over 10 years old. Fermentation is in stainless steel, and aging spans 36 months in Slavonian oak casks. This wine from the warm and sunny 2015 vintage maintains its trademark crispness and freshness nonetheless."