- Item #: i_301902Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93James Suckling: 93Wine Enthusiast: 94 PointsGAMBERO ROSSO GUIDE - TRE BICCHIERI (3 GLASSES) 2014 Vintage
WINE ENTHUSIAST 94 POINTS - "Exotic spice, mature black-skinned fruit, espresso and French oak are just some of the aromas you'll find on this delicious, full-bodied red. Boasting an enviable combination of concentrated flavors and elegance, it delivers flavors of ripe black cherry, prune steeped in spirits, vanilla bean and licorice framed by enveloping fine-grained tannins. Fresh acidity lifts the rich flavors while a coffee note lingers on the finish. Drink through 2026."
WINEMAKER NOTES - "A fresh, creamy, medium- to full-bodied red, with fine, supple tannins layered with flavors of crushed black raspberry, fig cake and spiced orange, offering a subtle, savory underpinning of smoky mineral and tobacco that lingers on the finish. Long and elegant."
Corvina, Corvinone, Rondinella and Oseleta are left to air dry at least until December and are checked daily to ensure perfectly healthy grapes. Lengthy refining and ageing finally yields a red wine that has become emblematic of Italian oenology, alongside Barolo and Brunello di Montalcino.
- Item #: i_305925Bottle Size: 750mlJAMES SUCKLING 99 POINTS - "Incredible aromas of violets, roses and blue fruits. So perfumed. Never smelled a wine like this before. Full body, perfectly integrated tannins and bright, vivid acidity. Extremely long and endless. A seamless and great one. An evocative wine that makes you think. Needs three to five years of bottle age on release. Unique red. Available in 2019."
- Item #: i_301672Bottle Size: 500ml50% Guarnaccia and 50% Malvasia, 25 kilos of Moscato of Saracena every hl of must.
The nose is intense and persistant, exquisite, with scents of apricot, dried figs and candied orange peel. The palate is sweet, and very persistant with flavors of peach, fig, dates and candied orange.
Pairs best with almond pastries and dried fruit pastries; tarts with apricot jam or orange marmalade, dried figs, chocolate. It is extremely tasty with herb-flavored cheese and semi-matured pecorino.
- Item #: i_305803Bottle Size: 1.5LWINERY NOTES - "When Ivan Giovanett and Massimiliano La Rosa, they wanted to produce a mineral nordic wine that comes from the combined work of two strong characters from the wine world, seeking a perfect balance. “Tecum” (lat. With you) follows the natural cycle of the vine and the wine itself: it awaits the following year on noble lees, where it remains for 15 months. The result is a natural stability over time and a complexity in terms of nose, which is enhanced by a long period of refinement in steel, to which a small part, refined in barriques, is added."
- Item #: i_305827Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92James Suckling: 92Wine Enthusiast: 95 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS; EDITOR'S CHOICE - "Fragrant and loaded with finesse, this radiant, full-bodied red opens with enticing scents of ripe black-skinned fruit, iris, cake spice and a whiff of camphor. On the linear yet delicious palate, elegant tannins and bright acidity support succulent black cherry, plum and licorice before a lingering tobacco finish. Drink 2021–2029." - Kerin O'Keefe
WINE ADVOCATE 92+ POINTS - "Like the other wines I tasted from Ciacci Piccolomini d'Aragona this year, I am surprised by the soft ripeness achieved in the 2014 Brunello di Montalcino. This was a cool and soggy vintage so those dark and sweet fruit flavors are counterintuitive. However, they elevate the wine to a higher intensity threshold and a more profound flavor profile. The wine offers enough crisp acidity and tannic firmness to hold it tightly together at this young stage in its lifespan."
JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "There’s a handy array of quite ripe red-berry and cherry aromas here that lead to a palate that has attractive red cherries with soft, earthy nuances and fine, chalky tannins. Drink now."
"To keep up our quality standards in years like these, we carefully select the grapes and make only our classic Brunello, but not our Brunello Pianrosso or our Brunello Riserva Santa Caterina d'Oro," says Paolo Bianchini, co-owner of Ciacci Piccolomini d'Aragona. "Our production was down 25-30% in 2014, but as a result of all the hard work, starting in the vineyards right up to bottling, we're more than satisfied with the results."
- Item #: i_303637Bottle Size: 750mlVineyards situated in the municipal territory of Atzara, a hilly area rising up to 550 m.a.s.l., west of the Gennargentu mountains. Mandrolisai D.O.C. : is a local DOC wine from the following vines: Bovale Sardo (Muristellu), Cannonau, Monica.
Ruby-red colour with pomegranate glints. It is a wine full of character, warm and full- bodied palate, inklings of vanilla and spices, expressing great elegance and marked finesse. The tannins are juicy and silky with a very long finish. Great meat dishes and ripe cheese.
- Item #: i_301130Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92WINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS - "A perfumed style, boasting floral, cherry, kirsch and licorice flavors. Slightly chewy, yet elegant overall, with fine balance and a lingering finish of macerated cherry, earth and tobacco notes. Shows fine length and intensity, leaving an essence of mineral. Best from 2021 through 2043. From Italy."
- Item #: i_302119Bottle Size: 750mlThe Scamperle family Has cultivated vineyards for generations. They have twenty hectares of property, located in the best areas of Valpolicella Classica. The grapes are selected and then laid out for drying on drying tables in a well ventilated area for 5 months. Corvina, Rondinella, Croatina, Dindarella, Sangiovese and Corvinone. Aged minimum 3 years in Slovenian oak casks (60%) and in barriques (40%), 8 months in the bottle for the final aging process.Perfect for game, strong cheeses, roasted red meats.
- Item #: i_302490Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 92VINOUS MEDIA 93 POINTS - "The 2014 Philip is Mazzei's 100% Cabernet Sauvignon from estate vineyards in both Chianti Classico and Maremma. Ripeness and textural depth are pushed to the limit in this powerful, super-concentrated wine. Although not at all subtle, the 2014 speaks with distinction. Time in the glass adds brightness to the dark red cherry and plum notes in this plush, inviting wine. It will be interesting to see how the Philip ages. It is certainly impressive as a young wine."
Although the Mazzei family has been producing wines for 24 generations in Chianti, they are perhaps proudest of the mark their ancestors have left on history. Philip Mazzei was a contemporary and close friend of Thomas Jefferson who was known to enjoy fine wine from around the world and wrote extensively about the subject.
When Jefferson wasn’t writing about wine, he penned other significant documents which you may have heard of. Yes, the Declaration of Independence was pretty significant! The great doctrine "All men are created equal" incorporated into the Declaration of Independence by Thomas Jefferson, was paraphrased from the writings of his friend, Philip Mazzei. As they say, the rest is history!
Philip is an extraordinary wine created to honor the memory of Philip Mazzei - a passionate grape grower, forward thinker, and patriot - and highlight the Mazzei family's special connection to the American people. The label on the bottle really catches your eye and reflects Philip as he appeared during the American Revolution.
This wine is a blend of the finest Cabernet Sauvignon grapes selected from Mazzei's Tuscan properties. It is silky smooth with abundant, ripe fruit and is in the perfect spot in its evolution for drinking. Enjoy!
18 months in french and american oak barrels (225 lt / 30% new)
- Item #: i_345540Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 91JAMES SUCKLING 91 POINTS - "Fresh violets, newly picked herbs, licorice and black peppers. Medium body, fresh acidity and a fruity finish. Drink now. A blend of sangiovese, merlot and cabernet sauvignon."
- Item #: i_301452Bottle Size: 3LVinous Media: 97ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 97 POINTS - "The flagship 2014 Le Pergole Torte possesses striking depth, nuance and pliancy, all in the midweight, slightly slender style of the vintage. Sweet red cherry, plum, cinnamon, dried flowers, mint, cinnamon and pomegranate infuse this super-expressive, sexy Pergole Torte."
Montevertine is situated in the heart of the Chianti district about halfway between Florence and Siena, specifically 3 kilometers or so south of Radda in Chianti. Documents attest to the fact that the hilltop hamlet of Montevertine was first inhabited in the 11th century as a rural defensive fortress. There are traces of the original construction on the site today. Sergio Manetti acquired Montevertine in 1967 as a vacation home for his family. Once there, Signor Manetti planted two hectares of vineyards and built a small cantina with the idea of producing some wine for family and friends. The first vintage produced and bottled under the supervision of Signor Manetti was 1971 and was received with great praise for its quality. Shortly thereafter, Signor Manetti abandoned his principal activity to devote himself to producing wine at his magnificent estate. Having recognized the importance of the Sangiovese grape, Signor Manetti crafted his wines with an almost exclusive reliance on that grape variety. By 1981, due to Signor Manetti’s refusal to incorporate Trebbiano into the Montevertine blend, Montevertine left the Chianti Classico consortium, thereby forgoing the Chianti Classico denomination. In time the consortium recognized the wisdom of Manetti’s stance but Montevertine remains outside the consortium, simply labeling its wines “Rosso di Toscana”. Because of these circumstances, Montevertine is frequently, but erroneously, included in the category of “super-Tuscan” wine. In fact, Montevertine’s policy of strict reliance on Sangiovese with a small complement of Colorino and Canaiolo is in direct contradiction to the approach of the “super-Tuscan” group of wines which purposely include non-local grape varieties like Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah and Merlot in their blends. Despite the formal lack of the appellation, Montevertine is one of the rare examples of a true Chianti Classico.
- Item #: i_303483Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 93"JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "There’s beautiful sangiovese character in the nose here with dried flowers, cherries and violets. Subtle and enticing. Similar flavors with a medium body, integrated tannins and a fresh and bright finish. Very harmonious for this year. Better in 2021, but already very pretty."
- Item #: i_305571Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Vinous Media: 98James Suckling: 95JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "Beautiful aromas of licorice, tar and black cherries following through to a full body. A powerful palate with dense fruit. Chewy and intense. Needs two or three years to soften. A triumph for the vintage. Drink in 2020."
WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "Luciano Sandrone and his daughter Barbara tell me that the 2014 harvest needs explaining. Many are quick to dismiss it given the difficulties of the growing season that saw abundant rain, hail and bombe d'acqua, or "water bombs," which are a dangerous phenomenon with intense rainfall in a very small radius. But hard work does pay off. The Sandrone family employed 38 people for farming, when the average harvest requires only 22 pairs of vineyard hands. Great care was required to keep the leaves and the clusters healthy. The 2014 Barolo le Vigne is bright and fruit-forward. It is perhaps more accessible in the near term compared to past editions. It delivers dark fruit nuances over a mid-weight and compact mouthfeel."
- Item #: i_301626Bottle Size: 750mlORGANICALLY FARMED & PRACTICING BIODYNAMIC
This is one of the most significant Valpolicella Superiore in the area and is obtained from the grapes of the Sant’Urbano vineyard, a beautiful hill in the Fumane municipality where the vine seems to find its natural position. After being carefully selected, the grapes are left to dry for around 20-25 days, concentrating the flavours and enriching the aromas and softness, which find the perfect balance after approximately two years of ageing. It is a wine which stands out for its remarkable elegance and complexity. This wine makes a delicious accompaniment to red meat dishes and matured cheeses and improves with age.
- Item #: i_302309Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 92 PointsIf you're not yet familiar with the Lessona wine-making region in Italy, now's your chance to discover it with a few stellar wines from Proprieta Sperino! Although best known for the wines he makes at Isole e Olena in Tuscany, Paolo de Marchi is originally from Piedmont. In recent years his dream was to restore the centuries-old tradition of his native Lessona wines by recovering the historic family cellars that dated back to the early nineteen hundreds and producing a wine with the greatest respect for local tradition. Today, with son Luca at the helm of production, Proprieta Sperino is offering some of the best reds from this ever-growing Northern Piedmont region.
WINE ENTHUSIAST 92 POINTS - "Heady scents of rose, iris, forest floor, white pepper and a whiff of wild herb take center stage on this fragrant ethereal red. Vibrant and savory, the linear racy palate offers morello cherry, raspberry, orange zest and star anise offset by polished tannins and bright acidity. A hint of iron defines the finish. It's already delicious but will offer fine drinking for the next several years. Drink 2020–2026."
80% Nebbiolo, 15% Vespolina, 5% Croatina
- Item #: i_301428Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 95JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "A solid and structured red with tile, dark berry and black tea character and some cloves, too. Full body, tannic and rich. Needs time to soften. Well done for a 2014. Ornellaia shows its pedigree here. Better in 2019."
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS,
WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS
- Item #: i_305379Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94+ANTONIO GALLONI 94+ POINTS - "The 2014 Barbaresco Masseria is superb. Dark, ample and structured, the 2014 captures all the pedigree of this important Barbaresco vintage. As always, the Vietti's Masseria is a wine that has Barolo-like structure and depth, partly because it is vinified and aged pretty much along the same lines as those wines. I expect the 2014 will require at least a handful of years to shed some tannin and start showing some of its inherent inner sweetness. There is so much to look forward to. Bright acids and a firm spine of tannin give the red-toned fruit energy and vivacity throughout."
- Item #: i_302105Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 93We were already in love with Zenato's "Alanera" at its normal price-- But on sale? This is an incredible deal on a wine that already over-delivered-- take advantage of this price on this wine!
The nose is filled with black fruits and dark spices, old growth forest floor, wood, midnight garden, aged black pepper and accents of garrique. So rich and lush! The palate reiterates what was enjoyed in scent: sweet dark berries, a blend of violets and vanilla, Kriek lambic and earthy spice. Easy acidity and rounded tannins keep the wine mellow and eminently quaffable.
Pair with medium-aged cheeses, cured meats, meaty fish such as sea bass fillet with Extra Virgin Olive Oil, or with braised meats and stews.
Alanera translates as "black wing," a reference to the raven, "corvo" in Italian, and an homage to the Valpolicella region's treasured indigenous grape, "Corvina". Alanera is a seductive wine that derives extra richness from an innovative variation on the traditional appassimento method practiced throughout the zone. 50% of all the grapes harvested to produce this wine are partially dried for 45-60 days. The classic Valpolicella varietals are dried in the main drying facility in Sant' Ambrogio where the Zenato family dry their Amarone grapes, while the Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon are dried at Zenato's Santa Cristina winery. The highly concentrated juice from these partially dried grapes adds an unusually complex spectrum of aromas and flavors to the blend. 12 months in barrel round out the tannin structure in this eminently drinkable red.
JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "This is a delicious new red from Zenato with plenty of dark berry, chocolate and spice. Walnut undertone. Full body, round and velvety texture. Blend of Merlot and Corvina. Drink now or hold."