- Item #: i_301902Bottle Size: 750mlGAMBERO ROSSO GUIDE - TRE BICCHIERI (3 GLASSES) 2014 Vintage
Corvina, Corvinone, Rondinella and Oseleta are left to air dry at least until December and are checked daily to ensure perfectly healthy grapes. Lengthy refining and ageing finally yields a red wine that has become emblematic of Italian oenology, alongside Barolo and Brunello di Montalcino.
"A fresh, creamy, medium- to full-bodied red, with fine, supple tannins layered with flavors of crushed black raspberry, fig cake and spiced orange, offering a subtle, savory underpinning of smoky mineral and tobacco that lingers on the finish. Long and elegant."
- Item #: i_305866Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 92 PointsLa Grola is the extraordinary result of the meeting of two great personalities: the hill of La Grola and the Valpolicella’s autochthonous grapes. The excellent exposure of the vineyards, which enjoy the sun’s warm rays and the cool breezes that come from nearby Lake Garda, allows the grapes to produce their very best.
WINE ENTHUSIAST 92 POINTS - "This savory wine bursts with plum, cassis and chocolate aromas that follow through to the taut, elegant palate alongside hints of bell pepper and black pepper. It's fresh and still tightly wound, with firm, velvety tannins. Drink through 2024."
- Item #: i_302461Bottle Size: 750MLNOT ONE TO BE MISSED! The Allegrini estate is based in the Valpolicella region of Italy and represents the highest expression of Valpolicella wines. Gambero Rosso, Italy's most important food and wine publication, rated Allegrini a Star winery with over ten Tre Bicchieri ("Three Glasses"-- their top recognition) awards. Palazzo Della Torre is a “Cru” wine coming from a single vineyard and is known as their “Baby Amarone.” The blend of 70% Corvina, 25% Rondinella and 5% Sangiovese takes two different paths. Thirty percent of the grapes are left to dry on racks till December, in true Amarone style, and the other seventy percent vinified immediately.
The fresh wine is blended with the juice from the dried grapes for a second fermentation and the end result is an absolute sexy wine, deep in ruby red color, with flavors of blackberries and mocha.
- Item #: i_303557Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "This is one of the best Vespas I have had in a long time. Medium-to full-bodied, linear and racy. Gorgeous and flavorful finish. Spice and almond undertones. Complex wine. Blend of chardonnay, sauvignon and picolit."
Joe Bastianich may be from New York, but he is building quite a reputation locally with his La Mozza restaurants in LA and Newport Beach. Depending on who you ask, JosephJoe Bastianich may be from New York, but he is building quite a reputation locally with his La Mozza restaurants in LA and Newport Beach. Depending on who you ask, Joseph Bastianich is known as a winery owner in Fruili, author on one of the best books on Italian wines (Vino Italiano), Mario Batali’s partner, one of the celebrity judges on Top Chef, or simply Lidia’s son. Joe is one of the most accomplished and diversely talented wine personalities in America. His Vespa Bianco has a seductive richness reminiscent of Meursault’s “honey on toast” with layers of brightness, minerality, and floral touches weaving throughout. Bastianich is known as a winery owner in Fruili, author on one of the best books on Italian wines (Vino Italiano), Mario Batali’s partner, one of the celebrity judges on Top Chef, or simply Lidia’s son. Joe is one of the most accomplished and diversely talented wine personalities in America. His Vespa Bianco has a seductive richness reminiscent of Meursault’s “honey on toast” with layers of brightness, minerality, and floral touches weaving throughout.
- Item #: i_302191Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 93James Suckling: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS , VINOUS 93 POINTS, JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS, WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS
"The 2014 Ilatraia is a terrific wine that represents a blend of 40% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Petit Verdot and 20% Cabernet Franc. This is a darkly saturated and rich Tuscan blend that delivers so much pleasure on all levels. There is softness, intensity, complexity and length. This is a stunning wine with excellent engineering and execution. This is definitely a wine I will remember."
- Item #: i_305925Bottle Size: 750mlJAMES SUCKLING 99 POINTS - "Incredible aromas of violets, roses and blue fruits. So perfumed. Never smelled a wine like this before. Full body, perfectly integrated tannins and bright, vivid acidity. Extremely long and endless. A seamless and great one. An evocative wine that makes you think. Needs three to five years of bottle age on release. Unique red. Available in 2019."
- Item #: i_301672Bottle Size: 500ml50% Guarnaccia and 50% Malvasia, 25 kilos of Moscato of Saracena every hl of must.
The nose is intense and persistant, exquisite, with scents of apricot, dried figs and candied orange peel. The palate is sweet, and very persistant with flavors of peach, fig, dates and candied orange.
Pairs best with almond pastries and dried fruit pastries; tarts with apricot jam or orange marmalade, dried figs, chocolate. It is extremely tasty with herb-flavored cheese and semi-matured pecorino.
- Item #: i_305803Bottle Size: 1.5LWINERY NOTES - "When Ivan Giovanett and Massimiliano La Rosa, they wanted to produce a mineral nordic wine that comes from the combined work of two strong characters from the wine world, seeking a perfect balance. “Tecum” (lat. With you) follows the natural cycle of the vine and the wine itself: it awaits the following year on noble lees, where it remains for 15 months. The result is a natural stability over time and a complexity in terms of nose, which is enhanced by a long period of refinement in steel, to which a small part, refined in barriques, is added."
- Item #: i_305827Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92James Suckling: 92Wine Enthusiast: 95 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS; EDITOR'S CHOICE - "Fragrant and loaded with finesse, this radiant, full-bodied red opens with enticing scents of ripe black-skinned fruit, iris, cake spice and a whiff of camphor. On the linear yet delicious palate, elegant tannins and bright acidity support succulent black cherry, plum and licorice before a lingering tobacco finish. Drink 2021–2029." - Kerin O'Keefe
WINE ADVOCATE 92+ POINTS - "Like the other wines I tasted from Ciacci Piccolomini d'Aragona this year, I am surprised by the soft ripeness achieved in the 2014 Brunello di Montalcino. This was a cool and soggy vintage so those dark and sweet fruit flavors are counterintuitive. However, they elevate the wine to a higher intensity threshold and a more profound flavor profile. The wine offers enough crisp acidity and tannic firmness to hold it tightly together at this young stage in its lifespan."
JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "There’s a handy array of quite ripe red-berry and cherry aromas here that lead to a palate that has attractive red cherries with soft, earthy nuances and fine, chalky tannins. Drink now."
"To keep up our quality standards in years like these, we carefully select the grapes and make only our classic Brunello, but not our Brunello Pianrosso or our Brunello Riserva Santa Caterina d'Oro," says Paolo Bianchini, co-owner of Ciacci Piccolomini d'Aragona. "Our production was down 25-30% in 2014, but as a result of all the hard work, starting in the vineyards right up to bottling, we're more than satisfied with the results."
- Item #: i_376391Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ENTHUSIAST 90 POINTS-""Fragrant and elegant, this vibrant wine has aromas of crushed violet and spice. The creamy palate doles out juicy wild strawberry, raspberry and cake spice alongside zesty acidity.(01/15"
- Item #: i_303637Bottle Size: 750mlVineyards situated in the municipal territory of Atzara, a hilly area rising up to 550 m.a.s.l., west of the Gennargentu mountains. Mandrolisai D.O.C. : is a local DOC wine from the following vines: Bovale Sardo (Muristellu), Cannonau, Monica.
Ruby-red colour with pomegranate glints. It is a wine full of character, warm and full- bodied palate, inklings of vanilla and spices, expressing great elegance and marked finesse. The tannins are juicy and silky with a very long finish. Great meat dishes and ripe cheese.
- Item #: i_301130Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92WINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS - "A perfumed style, boasting floral, cherry, kirsch and licorice flavors. Slightly chewy, yet elegant overall, with fine balance and a lingering finish of macerated cherry, earth and tobacco notes. Shows fine length and intensity, leaving an essence of mineral. Best from 2021 through 2043. From Italy."
- Item #: i_302119Bottle Size: 750mlThe Scamperle family Has cultivated vineyards for generations. They have twenty hectares of property, located in the best areas of Valpolicella Classica. The grapes are selected and then laid out for drying on drying tables in a well ventilated area for 5 months. Corvina, Rondinella, Croatina, Dindarella, Sangiovese and Corvinone. Aged minimum 3 years in Slovenian oak casks (60%) and in barriques (40%), 8 months in the bottle for the final aging process.Perfect for game, strong cheeses, roasted red meats.
- Item #: i_302490Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 92VINOUS MEDIA 93 POINTS - "The 2014 Philip is Mazzei's 100% Cabernet Sauvignon from estate vineyards in both Chianti Classico and Maremma. Ripeness and textural depth are pushed to the limit in this powerful, super-concentrated wine. Although not at all subtle, the 2014 speaks with distinction. Time in the glass adds brightness to the dark red cherry and plum notes in this plush, inviting wine. It will be interesting to see how the Philip ages. It is certainly impressive as a young wine."
Although the Mazzei family has been producing wines for 24 generations in Chianti, they are perhaps proudest of the mark their ancestors have left on history. Philip Mazzei was a contemporary and close friend of Thomas Jefferson who was known to enjoy fine wine from around the world and wrote extensively about the subject.
When Jefferson wasn’t writing about wine, he penned other significant documents which you may have heard of. Yes, the Declaration of Independence was pretty significant! The great doctrine "All men are created equal" incorporated into the Declaration of Independence by Thomas Jefferson, was paraphrased from the writings of his friend, Philip Mazzei. As they say, the rest is history!
Philip is an extraordinary wine created to honor the memory of Philip Mazzei - a passionate grape grower, forward thinker, and patriot - and highlight the Mazzei family's special connection to the American people. The label on the bottle really catches your eye and reflects Philip as he appeared during the American Revolution.
This wine is a blend of the finest Cabernet Sauvignon grapes selected from Mazzei's Tuscan properties. It is silky smooth with abundant, ripe fruit and is in the perfect spot in its evolution for drinking. Enjoy!
18 months in french and american oak barrels (225 lt / 30% new)
- Item #: i_345540Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 91JAMES SUCKLING 91 POINTS - "Fresh violets, newly picked herbs, licorice and black peppers. Medium body, fresh acidity and a fruity finish. Drink now. A blend of sangiovese, merlot and cabernet sauvignon."
- Item #: i_301452Bottle Size: 3LVinous Media: 97ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 97 POINTS - "The flagship 2014 Le Pergole Torte possesses striking depth, nuance and pliancy, all in the midweight, slightly slender style of the vintage. Sweet red cherry, plum, cinnamon, dried flowers, mint, cinnamon and pomegranate infuse this super-expressive, sexy Pergole Torte."
Montevertine is situated in the heart of the Chianti district about halfway between Florence and Siena, specifically 3 kilometers or so south of Radda in Chianti. Documents attest to the fact that the hilltop hamlet of Montevertine was first inhabited in the 11th century as a rural defensive fortress. There are traces of the original construction on the site today. Sergio Manetti acquired Montevertine in 1967 as a vacation home for his family. Once there, Signor Manetti planted two hectares of vineyards and built a small cantina with the idea of producing some wine for family and friends. The first vintage produced and bottled under the supervision of Signor Manetti was 1971 and was received with great praise for its quality. Shortly thereafter, Signor Manetti abandoned his principal activity to devote himself to producing wine at his magnificent estate. Having recognized the importance of the Sangiovese grape, Signor Manetti crafted his wines with an almost exclusive reliance on that grape variety. By 1981, due to Signor Manetti’s refusal to incorporate Trebbiano into the Montevertine blend, Montevertine left the Chianti Classico consortium, thereby forgoing the Chianti Classico denomination. In time the consortium recognized the wisdom of Manetti’s stance but Montevertine remains outside the consortium, simply labeling its wines “Rosso di Toscana”. Because of these circumstances, Montevertine is frequently, but erroneously, included in the category of “super-Tuscan” wine. In fact, Montevertine’s policy of strict reliance on Sangiovese with a small complement of Colorino and Canaiolo is in direct contradiction to the approach of the “super-Tuscan” group of wines which purposely include non-local grape varieties like Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah and Merlot in their blends. Despite the formal lack of the appellation, Montevertine is one of the rare examples of a true Chianti Classico.
- Item #: i_302020Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 91WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "This red has a silky side in the beginning, then turns sinewy and tannic by the finish. Intense and packed with black cherry, blackberry, light toast, spice and tobacco flavors, ending with a mineral kick."
- Item #: i_380381Bottle Size: 750MLPigato is a white Italian wine grape planted primarily in Liguria. As a varietal, Pigato produces highly aromatic wines. The vineyards of Punta Crena are all within 1200 meters of the water and enjoy sea breezes that help keep the grapes healthy and happy. These are light, fun wines with no pretension. Ask Paolo if the family follows organic methods in the vineyards and he’ll laugh. We’re not “organic,” he says as if you had asked about some crazy new technology. We just do everything the same way our ancestors have for hundreds of years. The wines pair wonderfully with fish dishes and vegetables.
- Item #: i_305571Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Vinous Media: 98James Suckling: 95JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "Beautiful aromas of licorice, tar and black cherries following through to a full body. A powerful palate with dense fruit. Chewy and intense. Needs two or three years to soften. A triumph for the vintage. Drink in 2020."
WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "Luciano Sandrone and his daughter Barbara tell me that the 2014 harvest needs explaining. Many are quick to dismiss it given the difficulties of the growing season that saw abundant rain, hail and bombe d'acqua, or "water bombs," which are a dangerous phenomenon with intense rainfall in a very small radius. But hard work does pay off. The Sandrone family employed 38 people for farming, when the average harvest requires only 22 pairs of vineyard hands. Great care was required to keep the leaves and the clusters healthy. The 2014 Barolo le Vigne is bright and fruit-forward. It is perhaps more accessible in the near term compared to past editions. It delivers dark fruit nuances over a mid-weight and compact mouthfeel."
- Item #: i_301626Bottle Size: 750mlSant'Urbano
Valpolicella D.o.c. Classico Superiore
This is one of the most significant Valpolicella Superiore in the area and is obtained from the grapes of the Sant’Urbano vineyard, a beautiful hill in the Fumane municipality where the vine seems to find its natural position. After being carefully selected, the grapes are left to dry for around 20-25 days, concentrating the flavours and enriching the aromas and softness, which find the perfect balance after approximately two years of ageing. It is a wine which stands out for its remarkable elegance and complexity. This wine makes a delicious accompaniment to red meat dishes and matured cheeses and improves with age.