- Item #: i_305113Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 98WINE SPECTATOR 98 POINTS & "COLLECTABLES" - "This delivers intense balsamic notes of juniper, wild rosemary and sage, along with rose, cherry and berry aromas and flavors. Elegant and saturated with flavor, supported by a vibrant structure. Ends with energy and refined tannins. Best from 2022 through 2040. 750 cases made."
- Item #: i_302221Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92Wine Enthusiast: 91 PointsWINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Appealing notes of star anise and lavender accent the flavors of crushed black cherry, Kalamata olive and date in this elegant, full-bodied red. Finely meshed, with supple tannins firming the mineral-tinged finish. Best from 2020 through 2028."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 91 POINTS - "Aromas of licorice, underbrush, scorched earth and a balsamic whiff of menthol develop in the glass. Firm but elegant, the structured palate offers dried Marasca cherry, spicy blackberry and ground clove set against taut close-grained tannins. Drink 2020–2028."
Sagrantino Collepiano symbolises the “Renaissance” of Montefalco as a wine region. This wine’s roots are entrenched in a secular tradition and is produced with Sagrantino, a unique variety grown only in Montefalco. Collepiano is Sagrantino’s area of production, and refers to the gentle slopes that characterise our hills.Densely coloured, almost black ruby red, which develop to garnet with the aging of the wine.Color is intense with ruby red and violet hues. Flavors flow with intense blackberries and plum and notes of leather. A very powerful mouthfeel and ever so velvety and a smooth finish.
- Item #: i_303322Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 95WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - - "Loads of balsamic aromas and flavors--juniper, rosemary, thyme, olive--along with cherry, sanguine and tobacco notes are the hallmarks of this intense red. Well-integrated and complex, building to a long aftertaste. Best from 2021 through 2035. 3,400 cases made."
WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "Canalicchio di Sopra is high on my shortlist of favorite producers in Montalcino. The 2012 Brunello di Montalcino is a sumptuous wine made according to carefully considered criteria. Every step of the winemaking process represents a selection of sorts, culminating in an expression of extremes. The precision, the focus and the pristine nature of the aromas cannot be exaggerated. It is such a pleasure to taste a wine of this caliber and distinction. Aromas of dark fruit and savory spice find seamless integration. Background tones of balsam herb, cola and licorice add a superior level of complexity. In the mouth, the wine is polished, fine and silky. The mouthfeel is thinner compared to 2011 and 2010. Otherwise, this is a fabulously elegant Brunello."
- Item #: i_305037Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "The 2012 Brunello di Montalcino Cerretalto offers a prolonged, flowing and carefully massaged drinking experience that drapes over the senses with some studied intensity and lots of intriguing complexity. This wine nails that perfect balance between power and elegance (that elusive exchange that so many winemakers hope to achieve) with effortless precision. Bold cherry fruit and spice are tightly woven together. In the mouth, the wine shows texture, depth and succulence. Generally speaking, this is not my favorite vintage in Montalcino, but this wine suddenly made me forget that thought."
- Item #: i_303324Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Vinous Media: 91WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "Voliero is a second brand made by Uccelliera's Andrea Cortonesi. It's slightly more affordable but that's a tricky argument to make given the new sky high price points I'm seeing across the denomination. The Voliero 2012 Brunello di Montalcino is a very pretty expression with dark fruit and an impressive sense of purity and primary fruit authenticity. At its core, you will encounter savory tones of spice, tobacco and leather. The bouquet also offers those beautifully polished Sangiovese-driven aromas of licorice, blue violets and balsam herb. The mouthfeel is succulent and rich. This is a very respectable Brunello that should age forward for at least ten years."
- Item #: i_305780Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 96ORGANICALLY FARMED
WINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS - "Saturated flavors of cherry and plum mesh nicely with the dense tannins in this intense, energetic red. Balanced, if a bit angular now, with the component parts needing time to integrate. Finishes with a firm grip and lingering tobacco and mineral accents. Best from 2022 through 2038."
ANTONIO GALLONI, VINOUS 95 POINTS - "Deep ruby. Very deep aromas of red plum, red berries, sweet spices and crushed stone are complicated by mint and cinnamon on the captivating nose. Juicy and extremely intense, with a crystallized quality to its sharply delineated fruit and spice flavors, this huge, structured wine is bursting at the seams with ripe fruit and flesh. A luscious mouthful of Brunello that finishes long with polished tannins and noteworthy energy, not to mention subtle building perfume."
- Item #: i_301868Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 94We're often asked what we would choose when we're craving a rich, full-bodied and complex red for our table. The answer absolutely includes Romano Dal Forno's "Valpolicella Superiore," from a producer that's had a strong following since the founder, Romano, began making wines in the 1980s. In fact, the phrase "cult wine" is often used for them. The reviews for the 2010 release only help confirm this status:
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "A very rich and spicy nose of kirsch, sweet morello cherries, spice box, hazlenuts and vanilla beans with dried dark cherry cake and lots of cedar, too. Full body, sweet fruit, vibrant acidity, ripe and round tannins and a fruit-forward finish. Always excellent."
- Item #: i_305380Bottle Size: 750mlWINERY NOTES - " The grapes are de-stemmed but not crushed, then the must macerates on the skins in cement vats without the addition of any SO2. The length of maceration depends on the characteristics of the must; it can last from three to twenty days. Lengthier macerations are not part of our local culture. The wine is always drawn off by hand in order not to harm the skins. The wine then continues its journey in small cement vats until bottling, which comes usually two to three years later. In our winemaking, we do not make any use of any synthetic chemicals apart from sulphur: no added yeasts, no enzymes, or any other adjuvant either in fermentation or in maturation. The wine is neither filtered, clarified, or barriqued. Give time to rest after shipping. Leave in to oxygenate in the glass. Probable remaings and CO2 are natural. Every bottle can be different. We do not use international grape varieties to smooth out our wines." Cannonau is an indigenous Sardinian grape variety. Cannonau is an indigenous Sardinian grape variety.
- Item #: i_301243Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 95WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS; COLLECTABLE - "A powerful, muscular style, exhibiting concentrated cherry, plum and berry flavors, accented by herbs and tobacco, all framed by vivid acidity and beefy tannins. A bit brooding now, this should develop nicely over the next decade. Best from 2021 through 2045. 75 cases imported."
- Item #: i_301071Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 95Decanter: 96 PointsWine Enthusiast: 95 PointsDECANTER 96 POINTS - "Open, very expressive nose for the vintage, with wild berries, powder puff and hibiscus. Tight ripe tannins and firm structure, with lovely blackberry fruit and a hint of green walnut on the finish."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS - "Forest floor, aromatic herb, dark spice and eucalyptus aromas come together with a floral twist. Bright and elegant, the palate shows succulent wild cherry, white pepper, star anise and chopped mint flavors. With its taut, fine-grained tannins and firm acidity, it needs time to unwind and fully develop. Drink 2022–2032."
JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "Extremely floral with rose-petal and cherry character. Walnut and mushroom undertones. Medium to full body, velvety tannins and a flavorful finish. Citrus-rind undertones. Delicious, solid and harmonious wine."
- Item #: i_302797Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93Wine Enthusiast: 94 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 94 POINTS - "Underbrush, truffle, crushed herb and ripe black-skinned fruit aromas slowly take shape along with a waft of new leather. The bold palate shows mature black cherry, licorice, clove and tobacco framed in big velvety tannins. This is already tempting but will be even better in a few years. Drink 2020–2027."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "This is rich and polished, with cherry, raspberry, leather and leafy tobacco flavors allied to a firm, dense structure. Finds equilibrium on the long finish of iron and savory. Best from 2020 through 2035. 250 cases made."
- Item #: i_302777Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Silky and refined, featuring pure strawberry, cherry and floral flavors, with elements of leather, iron and leafy underbrush. The firm structure sneaks up on you as this builds to a long, detailed aftertaste. Very seductive. Best from 2020 through 2035. 2,200 cases made."
- Item #: i_305118Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 96James Suckling: 95WINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS - "Firm and dense, this red sports cherry, leather, cigar box and sweet spice flavors. A juiciness midpalate adds depth. Finishes with tannins and a combination of earth, mineral and tobacco notes. Best from 2022 through 2038.
JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "An extremely dense and complex red with dried berry, cherry, floral and spice. Full body, powerful with a wealth of fruit and chewy tannins. This really is intense and beautiful. Goes on for minutes. Big wine. Drink in 2021."
WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "Showing a dark color and appearance, the 2012 Brunello di Montalcino Riserva is a beautiful wine. The 2012 vintages deliver some great surprises, like the ones you get here. The wine is dark and powerful with full throttle aromas of black cherry and blackberry. Spice, leather and balsam herb appear at the back. It sports firm tannins and a robust structure that will carry it forward over its aging years."
- Item #: i_301159Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 94Wine Enthusiast: 94 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "Lots of complexity comes through from the outset on the nose, borne out in terms of smoky black cherries, dried rose stems, asphalt, tar and licorice. Full, structured body that dives through layers of dark fruit, driven along by active acidity all the way to the long but not cloying finish."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 94 POINTS - "Cocoa, baked plum, toast, culinary spice and leather aromas shape the nose. Full bodied and elegant, the smooth, dense palate doles out fleshy black cherry, blackberry jam, licorice and clove while velvety tannins provide structure. It closes on an espresso note. Drink through 2027."
- Item #: i_305829Bottle Size: 750mlThe estate’s biodynamic credentials are serious. Certified by Demeter, Europe’s largest certification body, Musella’s team uses only naturally sourced fertilizer, among other solutions, to ensure that the natural beauty and health of their 60 vineyard acres remains in balance.
TASTING IMPRESSIONS: Aromas of leather, cinnamon, cloves, black cherry jam. Textured, velvety; flavors of black cherries, cooked plums.
PAIRING SUGGESTIONS: Grilled pork sausages; red-wine based beef stew with herbs; aged sheep’s cheeses; dark chocolate (70%)
- Item #: i_302029Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 97JAMES SUCKLING 97 POINTS - "The purity of fruit here is stunning. A cascade of all kinds of fruit tea precedes a fanfare of blueberry peel, bright lemons, heather, freshly pressed lavender, orange rind and grapefruit skin. Full body, bright acidity and layered fruit that’s taken on a long, seemingly endless ride on the finish. So refined and delicate yet powerful and forthcoming."
- Item #: i_305974Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS 93+ POINTS - "Deep red with a ruby tinge; darker than most other Brunellos being made today. Reticent nose hints at dark berries, coffee, cedar and aromatic herbs. Big, dense and supple, with thick but polished flavors of red and spicy dark fruit. Lasts long, exhibiting a multilayered quality on the tactile finish. A potentially knockout wine, but remember to decant this at least two-four hours ahead to let it breathe fully and develop more complexity."
- Item #: i_305978Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 98JAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS - "Wow. This is really fantastic with outstanding depth of fruit and ripe and silky tannins. So much blueberry and cedar character with hints of flowers. Full body, fine tannins and a fresh and clean finish. Lovely balance to this wine. Better after 2022 but already exciting to taste."
- Item #: i_302004Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 93JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "A chewy Brunello with linear and lightly austere tannins that buttress the bright fruit character. Medium body, silky tannins and a vivid finish. Beautiful intensity."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "This is muscular, with dense tannins providing a base for black cherry, plum, violet, tar and tobacco flavors. The tannins are assertive, yet also fresh and resonant. Long aftertaste. Best from 2021 through 2035."
- Item #: i_301696Bottle Size: 750mlMacchie pairs well with a wide variety of traditional Tuscan dishes like bruschetta, prosciutto, pasta with ragu of wild boar, bistecca fiorentina, roasted lamb, mushroom porcini. It generally goes well with meats especially red and game, accompanies a tartar well as it does many more dishes even slightly spicy ones.