- Item #: i_305321Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "Truffle, crushed mint and red berry aromas mingle with a whiff of wild rose. The aromas carry through to the light-bodied, racy palate along with white pepper and a citrus note. A hint of oyster shell gives it a tangy finish."
- Item #: i_301992Bottle Size: 750mlWe are excited to offer you this Sicilian diamond in the rough from Calabretta. Everyone has heard of the wondrous southern Italian island of Sicily, with its rugged, exquisite black terrain housing Mt. Etna, the still quite active volcano. The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, all of the major wine publications (and the minor ones, too) have waxed poetic on the wild, raw beauty of this sunny island and their wines, with an emphasis lately on the indigenous grapes of Sicily: Nerello Mascalese - a sleek, graceful red (a grape reminiscent of Nebbiolo) and its huskier sibling Nerello Cappuccio.
The newly found fame of this viticultural area has given way for all the major players in the winebiz to settle here. While quietly, in the background is Calabretta, a winery founded in 1900, who keep on making wine just as they have done for generations. The winery is run by Massimo Calabretta and his son Massimiliano, farming approximately seven hectares of 70-80-year-old vines, many ungrafted planted on steep terraces. The Calabrettas are traditional producers, crafting their wines in a similar manner to Barolo, by long aging in massive neutral barrels (known as botti), and releasing them after extended ageing in the cellar. This is a costly service to the winemaker, a practice that is rarely done these days. The result is beautiful, and we are thankful for their effort.
In the glass, the wine is clear, medium garnet with a pinkish rim. The nose is intensely fruited and herbal with strong notes of cherries, orange peel, lavender, leather, rose petals, clove, and white truffle. The palate is equally swoon-worthy, with a Pinot Noir-like body and good acidity, sporting flavors of cherries, blackberries, cranberry, rhubarb, sage, walnut, tomato leaf and a hint of English Breakfast Tea on its fine tannins. This is a wine of tremendous character, something you could linger on and enjoy by just sniffing to uncover its many facets. We can't wait to try this wine with dishes such as osso bucco, duck, rabbit or veal.
What is the vintage of this wine? "Cala Cala" means "table wine" in Italian; and Calabretta's is a blend of four different wines of Etna Rosso. 2009 (2 different wines), 2005 and 2008... so 4 wines together! This is an exceptional buy, and something every lover of traditionally styled wines must try.
- Item #: i_305303Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-95A blend of local native varietals inspired by a century-old blend. The dominant varietals are Nerello Mascalese, Nerello Cappuccio with smaller quantities of Nocera, Cappuccio Tignolino, Acitana, Galatena and Calabrese.
WINE ADVOCATE 93 - 95 POINTS - "Not released yet, the 2010 Faro Palari opens to a light garnet color and shows Burgundian aromas of small berry, moist earth and wild mushroom. Crushed flowers and rose petals also appear. Nerello Mascalese is known for the harshness of its tannins, but they have been well-managed in this expression appearing polished and smooth across the board. In fact, the tannin management in 2010 is excellent and this wine is slightly softer than previous editions."
- Item #: i_302753Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91Wine Spectator: 91James Suckling: 91PRACTICING ORGANIC
JAMES SUCKLING 91 POINTS -"Lots of strawberry and lemon aromas that follow through to a full-bodied, layered palate with ripe tannins and dried-fruit and walnut undertones. From organically grown grapes."
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The 2017 Etna Rosso is a beautiful wine that manages to effectively communicate both the elegance and the power of this stellar appellation in Sicily. There is also a straightforward or straight-shooting aspect to the wine that adds to its focus and the sharpness of its aromatic delivery. Bright acidity and fine tannins add to that linearity and simplicity. This is 95% Nerello Mascalese with 5% Nerello Cappuccio. The wine is fermented in large oak casks, and it ages in large oak containers for up to 18 months."
WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "This medium-bodied red is creamy and finely balanced overall, though a firm core of tannins structures the flavors of crushed raspberry, cherry and tangy mineral, with hints of dried marjoram and woodsy spice. Fresh and lovely."
- Item #: i_305285Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS; #9 TOP WINE 2018 U.S.-born Marco de Grazia established a successful Italian wine-importing company prior to purchasing vineyards on Sicily’s Mount Etna in 2000. The consistent quality of Terre Nere’s bottlings and de Grazia’s promotion of this emerging wine region have helped to push Etna to the forefront of Italian wine. This graceful red blends Etna’s signature Nerello Mascalese (98 percent) and Nerello Cappuccio grapes, sourced from 9.9 acres of vineyards within the San Lorenzo cru. The vines are more than 70 years old, planted at an elevation of nearly 2,500 feet in soils dominated by volcanic sand.