- Item #: i_305113Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 98WINE SPECTATOR 98 POINTS & "COLLECTABLES" - "This delivers intense balsamic notes of juniper, wild rosemary and sage, along with rose, cherry and berry aromas and flavors. Elegant and saturated with flavor, supported by a vibrant structure. Ends with energy and refined tannins. Best from 2022 through 2040. 750 cases made."
- Item #: i_303352Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94+Wine Spectator: 95WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "An intense perfume of juniper, bay laurel, sage, rose and berries marks this silky red. The structure is there, yet superb balance and refined tannins help this retain elegance through the long finish. Almost ethereal in its presence."
WINE ADVOCATE 94+ POINTS - "The 2013 Brunello di Montalcino is absolutely unique in terms of its aromatic display. To me, the nose is particularly beautiful because I have a preference for balsamic notes of cola, mint or medicinal herb (that may not be to everyone's liking). You get those in spades here. These aromas are often more prominent in cooler vintages like 2013 in the Brunello appellation. In this case, they resemble intense eucalyptus. There is subtle fruit at the back, with wild berry and plum. The mouthfeel here is absolutely silky, fresh and streamlined. It is stitched finely together like lace. I am curious to see how a wine like this ages and whether the aromas hold tight or eventually fall flat. I would suggest a slightly shorter drinking window. But for now, this is my kind of Brunello. Bottoms up!"
- Item #: i_303700Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 93James Suckling: 96Wine Enthusiast: 93 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS - "Fantastic aromas of orange peel and dark berry with plenty of plum and cherry. Sweet tobacco and mushrooms. Full body, juicy and fruity with firm tannins and a fresh finish. Complex and gorgeous. Fine and very long. Drink now."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2013 Brunello di Montalcino shows laser focus and a precise delivery of aromas that makes an immediate and satisfying first impression. This is a delicately assembled wine that shows the deft hand of the winemaking team behind the scenes. Bright fruit and cherry is connected, in a careful embroidery, to spice, leather, tar and cured tobacco. There are subtle tones of ash and crushed mineral as well."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 93 POINTS - "Chopped herbs, new leather, underbrush and a whiff of star anise lead the nose. The firmly structured, chewy palate delivers ripe blackberry, juicy Marasca cherry, licorice and a dollop of vanilla set against a backbone of firm, polished tannins. Drink 2021-2028."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "An elegant style, offering ripe cherry, plum, leather, almond and subtle chocolate flavors. Harmonious and long, with an aftertaste evoking cherry, iron and tobacco. Fine balance."
- Item #: i_305883Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 92WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2013 Brunello di Montalcino exhibits a nicely balanced presentation with dark fruit layers that are embellished by well-managed oak spice and savory smoke. This vintage is particularly elegant and tight, with streamlined intensity that builds slowly in the glass as the wine takes on more volume and general breathing space. The finish is long, silky and should well endure the test of time."
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "A supple texture and round profile wraps around the cherry, leather and spice flavors here. Firms up, turning more chewy by the finish, exhibiting a salty, minerally finish."
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 92 POINTS - "Bright red. Expressive aromas of red currant, licorice, flowers and tar. Floral, bright and subtle, with blood orange and red fruit flavors framed by harmonious acidity. Finishes suave, dry, and long. Lovely, elegant, old-style Brunello that will prove very food-flexible."
- Item #: i_301714Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 96 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST - "Beautifully balanced, this opens with alluring scents of wild berry, rose, baking spice and whiffs of chopped herb. Seamlessly combining ripe fruit and the firm's trademark finesse, the bright elegantly structured palate delivers juicy wild cherry, crushed raspberry, white pepper and a hint of black tea framed in polished tannins and fresh acidity. It's already tempting but the best is yet to come. Drink 2021–2031."
- Item #: i_302477Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93+James Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "A wealth of fruit yet remains fresh and vivid with blueberry and black cherry character. Some bark and dried earth. Full body, integrated tannins and a flavorful finish. Better than 2012. Drink or hold."
WINE ADVOCATE 93+ POINTS - "The 2013 Brunello di Montalcino exhibits impressive balance and integrity. It contrasts the delicate sweetness of the fruit very nicely against the more ethereal and licorice-like aromas that come so naturally to Sangiovese grown in the spectacular Montalcino appellation. This is a fine wine from Camigliano, an estate that absolutely excels in classic and slightly cooler vintages like 2013. The winemaking is also impeccable, with balanced intensity and integrated tannins. There is a playful note of cherry sweetness on the close that I very much identify with the distinctive Camigliano wine identity. Some 150,000 bottles were produced. Congratulations on a wine well made."
- Item #: i_303322Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 95WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - - "Loads of balsamic aromas and flavors--juniper, rosemary, thyme, olive--along with cherry, sanguine and tobacco notes are the hallmarks of this intense red. Well-integrated and complex, building to a long aftertaste. Best from 2021 through 2035. 3,400 cases made."
WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "Canalicchio di Sopra is high on my shortlist of favorite producers in Montalcino. The 2012 Brunello di Montalcino is a sumptuous wine made according to carefully considered criteria. Every step of the winemaking process represents a selection of sorts, culminating in an expression of extremes. The precision, the focus and the pristine nature of the aromas cannot be exaggerated. It is such a pleasure to taste a wine of this caliber and distinction. Aromas of dark fruit and savory spice find seamless integration. Background tones of balsam herb, cola and licorice add a superior level of complexity. In the mouth, the wine is polished, fine and silky. The mouthfeel is thinner compared to 2011 and 2010. Otherwise, this is a fabulously elegant Brunello."
- Item #: i_305037Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "The 2012 Brunello di Montalcino Cerretalto offers a prolonged, flowing and carefully massaged drinking experience that drapes over the senses with some studied intensity and lots of intriguing complexity. This wine nails that perfect balance between power and elegance (that elusive exchange that so many winemakers hope to achieve) with effortless precision. Bold cherry fruit and spice are tightly woven together. In the mouth, the wine shows texture, depth and succulence. Generally speaking, this is not my favorite vintage in Montalcino, but this wine suddenly made me forget that thought."
- Item #: i_305454Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93+Wine Spectator: 93Casanova di Neri has most certainly had its share of accolades and praise with all the estate wines including the Brunello di Montalcino 'White Label', the newest project 'Tenuta Nuova' (literally translated new estate) and the small single vineyard of Cerretalto. Just to name a few, Last years 2012 'White Label' made #4 Top 100 Wine Spectator with 95 Points, the 2010 'Tenuta Nuova' received 100 points in Wine Advocate, and of course not forgetting the first time Giacomo Neri set off fireworks...the 2001 'Tenuta Nuova' making 2006 Wine Spectator Wine of the Year!
With the 2013 Classic Vintage that just arrived, we are excited to share with you another great showing of Casanova di Neri Brunello! And with the press of this vintage just ramping up, we suggest you get enough to put a few away! These wines are made to enjoy now and cellar for 25+ years.
WINE ADVOCATE 93+ POINTS - "It's that time of year: get your Neri on. This blockbuster Montalcino estate has released another fantastic collection of new wines, including the 2013 Brunello di Montalcino. Beautifully executed, the wine oozes forth from the glass with round, supple and velvety fruit. This Brunello Annata is luscious and deep, with millefoglie aromatic layering that peels back slowly and carefully. The mouthfeel is less elaborate compared to the estate's top expressions, but the bouquet does much to push this score into the low nineties. Some 80,000 bottles were produced."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "This is focused, with a vivid structure driving the cherry, leather, spice and earth flavors. Dusty tannins follow up, while this remains fresh on the lingering finish. Best from 2020 through 2033."
- Item #: i_303037Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 98WINE SPECTATOR 98 POINTS - "This intense version is concentrated, with black cherry, blackberry, graphite, tobacco and spice flavors, yet remains light-footed due to the racy profile. Structured, yet beautifully balanced and youthful. Shows purity and length on the aftertaste, which introduces a floral component. Best from 2022 through 2045. 814 cases made, 150 cases imported."
- Item #: i_305898Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97Wine Spectator: 96James Suckling: 98Casanova di Neri has most certainly had its share of accolades and praise with all the estate wines including the Brunello di Montalcino 'White Label', the newest project 'Tenuta Nuova' (literally translated new estate) and the small single vineyard of Cerretalto. Just to name a few, Last years 2012 'White Label' made #4 Top 100 Wine Spectator with 95 Points, the 2010 'Tenuta Nuova' received 100 points in Wine Advocate, and of course not forgetting the first time Giacomo Neri set off fireworks...the 2001 'Tenuta Nuova' making 2006 Wine Spectator Wine of the Year!
With the 2013 Classic Vintage that just arrived, we are excited to share with you another great showing of Casanova di Neri Brunello! And with the press of this vintage just ramping up, we suggest you get enough to put a few away! These wines are made to enjoy now and cellar for 25+ years. This anniversary edition will be one of the best wine purchases you make this year.
WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "Casanova di Neri's 2013 Brunello di Montalcino Tenuta Nuova is celebrating its 20th anniversary (1993-2013), and a special gold-label edition of the wine was made to commemorate this important milestone. I tasted the white label for this review. This is a bold and expressive Brunello that displays tightly knit aromas of Morello cherry, spice, leather and balsam herb that are the building blocks of the most beautiful Brunellos that come to mind. The Casanova di Neri house style implies a modern and sophisticated approach for sure. But the inner spirit and texture of Sangiovese is so fine and polished in its natural state that it hardly matters. The personality of the grape shines through with a loud and confident voice."
WINE SPECTATOR 'HOT WINES' 96 POINTS - "Sweet, ripe strawberry and cherry fruit melds seamlessly with the dense, refined structure of this red. Saline, licorice and spice accents add complexity as this lingers gracefully on the finish. Terrific harmony and expression."
JAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS - "A vivid and bright red with intense blueberries and raspberries. Floral undertones and tons of citrus, too! Full-bodied, dense and layered. Polished tannins and fantastic fruit. The muscularity of the structure is what gives this wine focus and intensity. So serious for the vintage. Give it time to show its greatness. Drink in 2022."
- Item #: i_303324Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Vinous Media: 91WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "Voliero is a second brand made by Uccelliera's Andrea Cortonesi. It's slightly more affordable but that's a tricky argument to make given the new sky high price points I'm seeing across the denomination. The Voliero 2012 Brunello di Montalcino is a very pretty expression with dark fruit and an impressive sense of purity and primary fruit authenticity. At its core, you will encounter savory tones of spice, tobacco and leather. The bouquet also offers those beautifully polished Sangiovese-driven aromas of licorice, blue violets and balsam herb. The mouthfeel is succulent and rich. This is a very respectable Brunello that should age forward for at least ten years."
- Item #: i_305652Bottle Size: 750mlWhile winemaking at Castiglion del Bosco has been a craft for centuries, until fairly recently the vineyards were cultivated solely for personal consumption by each family living on the Estate. Today, Castiglion del Bosco wines are consistently recognized for their excellence. As one of the founding members of the Consorzio del Vino Brunello di Montalcino, the organization that regulates and controls the quality of Brunello production, Castiglion del Bosco introduced the world to its exemplary vintages through the emergence of a commercial operation in the late 1950s. In 2004, acclaimed international Wine Master Nicolo D’Afflitto took command of winemaking at Castiglion del Bosco, along with locally trained enologist Cecilia Leoneschi. Under their careful direction, the Estate is yielding more modern Brunellos that are attracting critical acclaim. The fundamental goal of winemaking at Castiglion del Bosco is to remain faithful to the land and the characteristics of the grapes.Pleasant and modern wine, characterized by a fresh and well-rounded Sangiovese. Intense varietal aromas are the result of a combination of tradition and modern techniques in the cellar.
- Item #: i_302311Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Advocate: 96WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "Cerbaiona's 2011 Brunello di Montalcino is one of the protagonists of the vintage. There is no denying the sheer beauty and focus of this wine. It makes a fabulous first impact with super sharp tones of wild berry, cola, balsam herb, flint and crushed oyster shell. Those drying mineral notes leave a lasting impression. In the mouth, this wine is super elegant, tight and delicately nuanced. Unfortunately, I have not had the best track record with aged Brunello from Cerbaiona (ten years or more) personally, but I am hopeful that a wine of this caliber and depth will restore my faith. No matter what the aging trajectory ultimately demonstrates, this wine certainly does taste fantastic at this young stage."
- Item #: i_301131Bottle Size: 750mlOccasionally life surprises you with a happy convergence, and the Cerbaiona "Vino da Tavola" is a one of those; it represents the bittersweet last fruits of a Brunello auteur (emphasis on the 'sweet'), is based on two wonderful vintages, and is offered at the completely reasonable price of $29.95! Former proprietor Diego Molinari's traditionalist wines have followed the seasons, allowing for Nature to dictate the character of a given year's release. But he has also been guided by a similar ebb and flow in his personal life and decided to sell his property. The new owners want to take the winery in a different stylistic direction and decided to unload the remaining inventory of 2013 wine with a majority of still-aging 2015 wine, irrespective of whether it was destined to be a Rosso or a Brunello. It's not often that an opportunity like this arises: To taste wine from a beloved small-scale producer of coveted wines based on top vintages at the price of a typical Rosso di Montalcino!
Already at first site, this is very classical Sangiovese Grosso from Montalcino: Ruby-hued, so clear and reflective, with a subtle garnet rim. Then comes the piercing perfume of dried cherry and cordial, a floral wash reminiscent of peony & herbal lavender, stony (petrichor) notes, and a subtle background of vanilla. In the mouth, there's a striking a juiciness from opening to finish, accompanied by chalky tannins giving the sensation of crushed stone, finishing with a softly drying sensation like hibiscus tea. On opening with air, that juicy fruit takes turns with flavors of blood orange, cherry, and cranberry, accompanied by licorice root, and a reprisal of those stony and herbal notes, including echoes of tomato leaf that is typical of classic Sangiovese. The gently warming alcohol never dominates the aromas or palate, and the wine’s medium-full body with gentle, refreshing acidity makes it extremely drinkable. The tannin builds up as you drink on, ultimately making for a chewy wine, which makes sense since a large portion was intended for longer aging to become a Brunello!
So not only do we suggest holding some bottles to soften up for a few years, but also to do as Italians expect and pair it with food! Well-herbed roast chicken, tomato-driven dishes, rosemary lamb chops, or grilled steak are some great options. Even some cured meats, medium-aged cheeses, and a simple bruschetta would work with this: Top toasted baguette with diced tomato, herbs, lemon, olive oil, and a pinch of sea salt (I even like to dice in fresh anchovy filets).
Salute e auguri (health and best wishes) to Diego Molinari, and to the new team at Cerbaiona!
- Item #: i_301119Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Wine Enthusiast: 98 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 98 POINTS; 'CELLAR SELECTION' - "Wild-berry, fragrant purple-flower and crushed aromatic herb aromas mingle with whiffs of tilled earth and new leather on this dazzling red. The stunning, savory palate boasts remarkable finesse combined with an age-worthy structure, offering succulent black cherry, raspberry compote, licorice and tobacco alongside taut, refined tannins. It's impeccably balanced, with bright acidity. It's already tempting, but hold for even more complexity. Drink 2021–2033." - Kerin O'Keefe
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "Although this wine is not labeled as a riserva, it is released six years after the harvest as if it were one. The 2013 Brunello di Montalcino Pianrosso (with 20,000 bottles produced) opens to balanced fragrances that mix fruity elements with spice, crushed stone and smoke. This wine is linear and direct with firm tannic support at the back. Give it another few years to flesh out further with additional bottle aging."
This is the star for Ciacci Piccolomini, year in and year out—this Brunello is highly traditional in style. The wine is fermented in glass-lined cement and stainless steel tanks then aged in Slavonian oak barrels for 36 months. “Pianrosso” is absolutely gorgeous and rich brunello, with complex aromas of red fruits, flowers, licorice and spice, that only gets better with age.
- Item #: i_305827Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92James Suckling: 92Wine Enthusiast: 95 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS; EDITOR'S CHOICE - "Fragrant and loaded with finesse, this radiant, full-bodied red opens with enticing scents of ripe black-skinned fruit, iris, cake spice and a whiff of camphor. On the linear yet delicious palate, elegant tannins and bright acidity support succulent black cherry, plum and licorice before a lingering tobacco finish. Drink 2021–2029." - Kerin O'Keefe
WINE ADVOCATE 92+ POINTS - "Like the other wines I tasted from Ciacci Piccolomini d'Aragona this year, I am surprised by the soft ripeness achieved in the 2014 Brunello di Montalcino. This was a cool and soggy vintage so those dark and sweet fruit flavors are counterintuitive. However, they elevate the wine to a higher intensity threshold and a more profound flavor profile. The wine offers enough crisp acidity and tannic firmness to hold it tightly together at this young stage in its lifespan."
JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "There’s a handy array of quite ripe red-berry and cherry aromas here that lead to a palate that has attractive red cherries with soft, earthy nuances and fine, chalky tannins. Drink now."
"To keep up our quality standards in years like these, we carefully select the grapes and make only our classic Brunello, but not our Brunello Pianrosso or our Brunello Riserva Santa Caterina d'Oro," says Paolo Bianchini, co-owner of Ciacci Piccolomini d'Aragona. "Our production was down 25-30% in 2014, but as a result of all the hard work, starting in the vineyards right up to bottling, we're more than satisfied with the results."
- Item #: i_301529Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS- "The deep, rich red-plum nose sucks you into this powerful Brunello that has great fruit and polished, dry tannins that are beautifully in synch. Long, intense and rather complex finish. A great food wine for tonight, but this has the structure to hold for up to a decade."
- Item #: i_305780Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 96WINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS - "Saturated flavors of cherry and plum mesh nicely with the dense tannins in this intense, energetic red. Balanced, if a bit angular now, with the component parts needing time to integrate. Finishes with a firm grip and lingering tobacco and mineral accents. Best from 2022 through 2038."
ANTONIO GALLONI, VINOUS 95 POINTS - "Deep ruby. Very deep aromas of red plum, red berries, sweet spices and crushed stone are complicated by mint and cinnamon on the captivating nose. Juicy and extremely intense, with a crystallized quality to its sharply delineated fruit and spice flavors, this huge, structured wine is bursting at the seams with ripe fruit and flesh. A luscious mouthful of Brunello that finishes long with polished tannins and noteworthy energy, not to mention subtle building perfume."
- Item #: i_302998Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 94Vinous Media: 94+Decanter: 94 PointsWine Enthusiast: 97 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 97 POINTS - "Delicately scented, this offers underbrush, pressed violet and wild berry aromas. It’s medium-bodied and loaded with elegance, delivering crushed raspberry, Morello cherry, licorice and a hint of pipe tobacco set against taut, refined tannins. Bright acidity provides balance. It’s a bit austere at this stage but will develop beautifully."
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 96 POINTS - "Very deep red. Flinty, floral red cherry and underbrush on the enticing, very pure, precise nose. Then silky and suave, with ripe red cherry, underbrush and savory spices lingering nicely on the long creamy finish. Another classic, outstanding Brunello from Costanti, who has made a few in his time.
DECANTER 94 POINTS - "2013 was much cooler than preceding vintages, and Andrea waited until the beginning of October to harvest. He says it was a good year with plenty of structure, but felt it didn't have the longevity to merit making a Riserva. Indeed, rather than a voluble powerhouse this is an understated beauty. Tight and linear with lifted florals and a hint of orange, it has mouthwatering acidity and superb freshness, and will appeal to those who prize finesse."
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Macerated cherry fruit holds the center of this elegant red, accented by grass, tobacco and earth flavors. Firm yet supple and elegant, this lingers with a touch of thyme."
JANCIS ROBINSON 18/20 POINTS - "Lustrous ruby. Restrained power on the nose. Bags of finely grained tannins lift lively cherry fruit. Medium bodied yet mouth-filling. Muscular and refined. Easily one of the top wines of this vintage."
- Item #: i_301611Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 97James Suckling: 96Wine Enthusiast: 95 PointsANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 97 POINTS - "Luminous red. High-pitched aromas of sour red cherry, raspberry, rose, stainless steel, white pepper and minerals. Dense and silky in texture but displays great juiciness, clarity and floral lift; the lively but harmonious acidity really lifts and frames the bright red and mineral flavors. Totally saturates the palate and yet comes off as virtually weightless. This hauntingly beautiful wine showcases everything Brunello can be when made from an ultra-competent producer farming Sangiovese vines that grow in what is a real grand cru section of the much too large Brunello di Montalcino denomination.
JAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS - "A balanced and firm red with plum, light chocolate, walnut and spice character. Medium to full body and silky tannins. I love the flavorful finish."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS - "Enticingly fragrant, this opens with delicate scents of forest berry, underbrush, new leather and crushed purple flowers. Juicy and enveloping, the smooth, full-bodied palate presents ripe Morello cherry, raspberry preserve, licorice and chewing tobacco framed in taut fine-grained tannins."
- Item #: i_301388Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "Fossacolle has produced an excellent set of new releases. At the top of the list is the 2013 Brunello di Montalcino, which exhibits a spectacular level of inner balance and positive energy. There is a level of aromatic happiness or brightness here that denotes carefully ripened Sangiovese grapes. In other words, you can taste that the fruit has not been stressed by adverse weather conditions. The 2013 vintage is indeed harmonious across the board, and this wine demonstrates that fact."
- Item #: i_305423Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "Sangiovese-whisperer Alessandro Mori has delivered another superstar wine with the 2013 Brunello di Montalcino Madonna Delle Grazie. The bouquet is detailed and fine with bright accents of fragrant red rose, red currant, cola, licorice, grilled herb and crushed white peppercorn. The bouquet is loose, light and buoyant, with a smooth and natural progression of building aromas. The mouthfeel, however, is direct, important and determined. It's that playful juxtaposition between the wine's soft side and its stern side that makes this such an interesting and sensational wine to drink. Only 5,993 bottles were produced, and that's the bad news."