- Item #: i_301610Bottle Size: 750mlORGANICALLY FARMED
This is a special wine for Badia a Coltibuono, an homage to the native grape varieties of Tuscany. Made from Mammolo, Ciliegiolo, Pugnitello, Colorino, Sanforte, Malvasia Nera, Canaiolo, Foglia Tonda, and, of course, Sangiovese! Native yeast fermented and aged in barrel individually, then blended according to quality and balance. So as to not cover up the quality fruit too much, mostly previously used barrels are used for a totl of 18-20 months.
WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "What happens when you blend the indigenous grapes Mammolo, Sangiovese, Canaiolo, Ciliegiolo, Colorino, Foglia Tonda, Malvasia Nera, Sanforte and Pugnitello? You get the 2015 Montebello. This is a beautifully intense and curious wine in that it challenges you to come up with precise clues to identify the individual grapes. The bouquet is broadly projected like a wide-screen television, with cherry, blackberry, spice, tar and licorice. The depth and complexity of this vintage is particularly attractive. There is crisp acidity at the end of this mid-weight delivery that makes this wine great for fatty cuts of beef or lamb. This wine may not be for everyone, but I definitely got a charge here. "
- Item #: i_302191Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95James Suckling: 9640% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Petit Verdot, & 20% Cabernet Franc
JAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS - "Aromas of black licorice and blackberry. Blueberry, too. This is so complex. Full body, extremely silky and polished with lovely tannins. Deep and long. It seems powerful and rich yet ends so balanced and refined."
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The 2015 Ilatraia is a drop-dead gorgeous blend...all fruit coming from Brancaia's Maremma vineyards along the Tuscan coast. This warm vintage has shaped an exuberant and intense red wine that hits the palate with lavish richness. The complex bouquet is composed of dark fruit elements that are contrasted seamlessly against spice, sweet tobacco and campfire ash. Yet the mouthfeel is never too heavy or overextracted. There's a lot to enjoy here."
- Item #: i_305856Bottle Size: 750mlA delicious pure Sangiovese from Montalcino that emphasizes fresh fruit and quaffability! The vineyards for San Biagio, though not classified to produce Brunello or Rosso, are farmed in the same way as their other Sangiovese sites. The vineyards range in elevation from 300 to 350 meters above sea level. Fermented in stainless steel on the skins for 14-18 days, then racked and clarified by decantation rather than filtration prior to bottling.
Made from the youngest Sangiovese vines, the juice is treated gently with cool temperatures & unoaked; the resulting wine is driven by fresh red and black cherry, with an appetizing nuttiness reminiscent of walnut and a subtle dried herbal quality to the tannins. While the 14% abv provides a vinous warmth, the body is lightened up by a bright acidity; the final result is the "sunlight held together by water" that Tuscan native Galileo Galilei wrote of. It's a supremely accessible and uncomplicated style of wine for Montalcino. This is the wine you serve lightly chilled (58-60)F.
- Item #: i_302195Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 97JAMES SUCKLING 97 POINTS
Luce was the first wine from Montalcino made by blending Sangiovese and Merlot grapes. It was thanks to the collaboration of the Marchesi de' Frescobaldi and Robert Mondavi Families that came up with the idea of matching the roundness and softness of Merlot with the elegance and structure of Sangiovese in the land of Brunello di Montalcino, the worldwide famous Italian wine made strictly from Sangiovese grapes. Since 2002, Lamberto Frescobaldi and the Frescobaldi family are completely responsible for this project. In the land of Brunello di Montalcino they continue to write the history of Luce, a Super Tuscan wine appreciated all around the world.
- Item #: i_302230Bottle Size: 750ml70% Sangiovese, 13% Sagrantino, 15% Colorino
WINE ENTHUSIAST - "Ripe berry, charred underbrush, leather and clove aromas lead the way. The juicy, generous palate offers crushed raspberry, fleshy Marasca cherry and a hint of baking spice alongside taut tannins that give the close some unexpected grip." - KERIN O'KEEFE
Perticaia, located in the heart of Montefalco in Umbria, is the source of some of central Italy's best wines. This family estate draws its inspiration not only from the past (Perticaia means "plow" in Etruscan) but from the future, employing both natural and modern techniques to craft wines that are dazzling in their complexity, flavor profile and structure.
- Item #: i_303468Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91James Suckling: 92JAMEs SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "A juicy and ripe red with dried berry and chocolate. Medium body with chewy and soft tannins. Flavorful finish. Drink or hold. "
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The 2015 Maremma Toscana Le Sughere di Frassinello is a great value blend of 50% Sangioveto, 25% Merlot and 25% Cabernet Sauvignon (aged in French oak for one year). This wine boasts a proven track record for its consistent value and accessibility and can be counted on for both. It releases a steady flow of dark fruit and spice aromas that build in momentum. The mouthfeel is generous and softly velvety in texture, especially in this warm vintage."
We've been following the Rocca di Frassinello estate for a number of years; bring Chateau Lafite into a joint venture on the Tuscan coast with Chianti's much heralded Castellare estate and you have our attention. Time and again, our favorite bottling from Frassinello has been the "Le Sughere di Frassinello." "Le Sughere" is meant as second wine from the large Frassinello estate, next to the more age-worthy top wine simply called "Rocca di Frassinello." However, there is so much more charm and immediate pleasure in "Le Sughere di Frassinello" that we always want to go back this wine.
- Item #: i_301221Bottle Size: 750mlFrassinello is a project that brings together Eric de Rothschild, proprietor of Chateau Lafite Rothschild, with Cellai and Panerai. In addition to his famous name, Eric de Rothschild brings an outsider's passion and zeal to the project, whereas Allesandro Cellai provides the local know-how. We've had some great success this year introducing our customers to Rocca di Frassinello's second wine, "Le Sughere di Frassinello," and we've been eagerly waiting for this-the estate's "Gran Vin," a blend of 60% Sangiovese, 20% Merlot and 20% Cabernet Sauvignon. The wine shows something of Lafite's famed elegance with notes of cedar, gravelly minerals and pencil shaving alongside a frame that combines black currant and dried red cherry notes in a regal and enticing finish.