- Item #: i_301305Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 91JAMES SUCKLING 91 POINTS
90% Sangiovese, 10% Merlot and Syrah - The wine is ruby red in color with aromas of ripe red fruit and well amalgamated notes of vanilla and coffee. The palate enjoys a notable support from the acidity, which maintains a pleasurable freshness and persistence of flavor along with soft and sweet tannins which guarantee excellent drinkability.
- Item #: i_301564Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Ripe and spicy, featuring cherry, plum, almond and earth flavors. As this plays out on the finish, leather and tobacco notes join the party and the well-integrated structure provides ample support. Best from 2021 through 2035."
- Item #: i_301289Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - Intense aromas and flavors of cherry, blueberry, graphite and spice mark this solid red. Dense without being overly tannic, with a balanced finish. Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.
- Item #: i_301022Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2015 Chianti Classico Gran Selezione Badia a Passignano is a pure expression of Sangiovese. Fruit is sourced from the San Donato area of the appellation that is not an official subzone yet but is increasingly emerging as such. This wine is distinguished by a beautiful level of openness and softness (on the Sangiovese spectrum, which means you also get a bright dose of acidity). That softness or lushness comes in part due to the warm vintage but also thanks to the winemaking approach that relies on larger barrels (from 300 to 500 liters) and Hungarian oak that tends to be more porous and thickly textured for increased passage of oxygen. The wine offers beautiful balance between its dark fruit and savory spice comments. This Chianti Classico Gran Selezione was not produced in 2014." - Monica Larner (6th Sep 2018)
- Item #: i_305878Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97Just in this week, the 2016 Tignanello from the Antinori family is a wonderful follow-up to the previous vintage! This is one of the wines that launched the famous "Super-Tuscan" movement by pairing Sangiovese with Cabernets Sauvignon and Franc and aging in smaller French oak barrels, making Italian wines that could go head-to-head with the greats of Bordeaux and Napa Valley. Seeing the previous vintage sell out quickly, we think it's only fair to alert you now: The 2016 version is once again poised to be an international hit!
This is such a polished wine, already so enjoyable! There are elegant aromas of concentrated, ripe dark fruits (like blackberry and black cherry compote) interwoven with subtle earthy balsam and fresh herbal hints. The palate walks a thin line between baked and fresh fruit, with the gently herbal & savory counterpoints creating flavor balance. The French oak is finely integrated already, adding to an appetizing chewiness along with a layer of dark cocoa and a brooding hint of charred fruit on the finish. This is such a drinkable wine already thanks to the velvet texture and seamless integration of all its components; it's one of those wines that's deceiving in its complexity, pulling it off so effortlessly. What's more, the complexity will only grow as the ample fruit peels back over the years!
WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "To hit the market in June, the 2016 Tignanello is a rock-solid wine and a stunning beauty. The wine offers an impeccable level of precision and laser-focus delivery of fruits, spices, tilled earth, espresso beans and Mediterranean herbs. This vintage follows the classic blending formula of 80% Sangiovese with about 13% Cabernet Sauvignon and 7% Cabernet Franc. The vines are now 15 to 20 years old. Compared to the 2015 vintage that ultimately appeared more chewy and succulent, this expression from the iconic 2016 vintage is more vibrant, nervous and jazzed. It shows more savory spice, saltiness and minerality, with a beautifully integrated quality of tannins. Some 320,000 bottles were produced. This wine is at the top of the list of some of the best Tignanello ever made, including the vintages 2007, 2009, 2010, 2013 and 2015."
- Item #: i_302219Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90Wine Spectator: 93ORGANICALLY FARMED
WINE SPECTATOR INSIDER 93 POINTS - "A ripe style, this sports cherry, raspberry, violet and mineral aromas and flavors, matched to a tensile structure, revealing fine balance and length. Best from 2021 through 2033."
WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "The 2016 Chianti Classico is a terrific wine and perhaps the best vintage made thus far. The wine opens to a medium dark appearance with pretty layers of wild cherry, redcurrant and mild spice. Badia a Coltibuono always does a great job of expressing the cool and somewhat wild nature of Gaiole in Chianti. This is a blend of 90% Sangiovese with 10% Canaiolo and Ciliegiolo. Some 128,000 bottles were made, and this is great news for all you value-wine consumers out there."
This wine, with ICEA organic certification from 2003, is the result of absolutely natural production methods using hand-picked organically grown Sangiovese and Canaiolo grapes from our vineyards at Badia a Coltibuono.
WINE MAKER NOTES: "The color is bright ruby, the nose unveils layers of iris, violet, tobacco, black pepper and marasca cherry. The taste is well balanced, tightly knit with supple tannins, mineral notes, a mouth cleansing fresh acidity. Warm and persistent. Pair with first courses such as pasta, meat dishes and moderately aged cheeses."
Badia a Coltibuono is about one thousand years old but its prehistory takes us back to Estrucan times and beyond. As we know it today, Badia a Coltibuono (which means Abbey of the Good Harvest), dates from the middle of the eleventh century. Forest berries, spices, leather, moist earth and dried plum, layered in the aroma. Soft, round taste, well-balanced acidity and clean and persistent aftertaste. Very pleasing, and ready to drink. Coltibuono remains one of the most beloved estates in the Chianti zone. Over the past few years their wines have gained a high level of finesse and quality.
- Item #: i_305605Bottle Size: 750mlORGANICALLY FARMED
"The full potential of the Sangiovese grape finds new expression in a wine inspired by the great traditions of its place of origin. "Cultus Boni" brings together the quality of the Sangiovese grape, its dominant component (80%), with the expressiveness of the Colorino, Ciliegiolo and other traditional complementary varieties.
- Item #: i_305716Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 90 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "Dried cranberries, dried redcurrants, blueberries, cedar and dried nutmeg. Full-bodied yet very linear and refined with really driven acidity, which permeates the layers of red fruit right through to the tight finish. Drink now or hold."
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "The cherry and plum flavors are matched by leather, tobacco and almond notes in this sinewy red. Stays balanced and long, with the ripe fruit offset by dusty tannins. Best from 2020 through 2035."
- Item #: i_380054Bottle Size: 750MLWine Enthusiast: 90 Points90% Sangiovese, 5% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Sauvignon
WINE ENTHUSIAST 90 POINTS - "Red-skinned berry, dark spice and balsamic aromas are front and center on this structured red. The firm, savory palate offers dried black cherry, licorice and grilled herb alongside fine-grained tannins. Drink through 2024.
- Item #: i_301306Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 90Vinous Media: 90James Suckling: 92ORGANICALLY FARMED & PRACTCING BIODYNAMIC
25% Cabernet Franc, 25% Merlot, 16% Sangiovese, 14% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Petit Verdot, 7% Alicante and 6% Syrah
Sangiovese, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon are blended to create a soft, luscious wine that's loaded with bright cherry, rich chocolate and mocha flavors.
- Item #: i_381856Bottle Size: 750mlFerrini as a consulting enologist for some of the greatest wineries in Italy. One of her crowning achievements has been working with Casanova di Neri when they received a 100 point score from Wine Spectator for the 2001 Brunello Cerretalto. As she continues her consulting business, she also runs her own family winery, Carpineta Fontalpino, along with her brother Filippo producing some of the best Chianti Classico and Super Tuscan wines from her own estate grown fruit.
- Item #: i_301357Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 92Wine Enthusiast: 90 PointsPRACTICING ORGANIC
JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "A ripe and juicy red with hot stone, dried cherry and hints of berry undertones. Full and chewy yet soft and polished texture. A muscular and solid red. "
WINE ENTHUSIAST 90 POINTS - "Made with organically grown Sangiovese, this boasts earthy aromas of black-skinned berry, underbrush and leather. The savory palate delivers Marasca cherry, cinnamon and white pepper alongside polished tannins and vibrant acidity. "
KERMIT LYNCH WINE MERCHANT - "Thick and saucy, it echoes the flavors of herbs and stewed tomatoes with which you’d coat a serving of hot pappardelle. With balance, grip, and rustic, earthy nuances, this is the real deal, straight from the Tuscan countryside."
- Item #: i_305459Bottle Size: 750mlWINE & SPIRITS 93 POINTS - "This Riserva hits all the right notes, the dark and juicy fruit flavors tingling with dried herbs and subtle spices. The wine’s fine-grained tannins lend it a filigreed appeal, even as those flavors flesh out with notes of dried currant and tomato skin and a firm crushed-granite minerality. Delicious now." - Tasted Spring 2018 2018
The Castell’in Villa Chianti Classico Riserva is made of Sangiovese grapes entirely from our best vineyards. The wine is blended and aged in oaks for 2-3 years. The wine ages very well and good vintages should be at their peak at an age of 6-15 years. The Castell’in Villa Chianti Classico Riserva is concentrated well tannined and with an elegant fragrance for the eye and nose. The taste is complex, showing ripe fruit, black cherries and some deep earthy spicy tones.
- Item #: i_302643Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 95+WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "The 2013 I Sodi di S. Niccolò is 85% Sangioveto (a more antique name for Sangiovese) and 15% Malvasia Nera from a single vineyard. This wine opens to a darkly saturated appearance and shows ruby, garnet and purple highlights. The bouquet is powerful but seamless at the same time with smooth transitions between dark cherry, spice, tobacco and moist clay. In the mouth, this wine shows dense extraction, but it never feels too weighed down by that mass. Instead, the freshness of the fruit and the natural acidity give the wine a bright and buoyant personality. Aged in barrique for 30 months, this is a delightful Tuscan red."
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 95+ POINTS - "The flagship 2013 I Sodi di San Niccolò is classy and polished to the core. In many vintages, the I Sodi di San Niccolò can be more overt and extroverted, but in 2003 it is a wine of cool sophistication and polish. A rush of dark red and purplish-hued stone fruits, wild flowers, mint and licorice rounds out things out. The 2013 is a stylish, captivating Sodi. All it needs is time in bottle. For my money, Sodi remains one of the world's most pedigreed under-the-radar wines."
- Item #: i_301495Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "A beam of pure cherry and blackberry fruit defines this intense, racy red, which is firm and tensile, with fine balance and a lingering aftertaste of vibrant fruit, graphite and tobacco flavors. Sangioveto and Canaiolo. Drink now through 2033."
This Chianti Classico shows well-integrated aromas of tart red cherries, tobacco, sunbaked earth, and a hint of cedar spice. On the palate, firm structure and refreshing acidity make it a very versatile food wine. Grapes are fermented with ambient yeasts partially in stainless steel and in barrel. The wine is then put in cement for up to eight months to rest and lock in its fruity freshness. This is a successful expression with an easy but very clean and lean approach.
Pair this wine with lasagna, ragù sauces, roasted rabbit, or braised veal shank.
- Item #: i_305130Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "A wine of pure femininity and grace, the 2011 Chianti Classico Gran Selezione Vigneto La Casuccia is wonderfully fleshy and radiant in the glass. Rose petal, sweet red cherry, tobacco, mint and spices meld together as this effortless, supple wine shows off its undeniably appealing personality. Sweet, silky tannins wrap around a super-expressive finish laced with knock-out aromatics. The 2011 is firing on all cylinders today."
The La Casuccia vineyard comprises 12.58 hectares, of which some 6 were planted in 1978; the remainder was planted in 2007 at a density of 5,300 vines per hectare. The elevation ranges from 480 metres to 526 for the vines at Adine. Soils are fairly consistent throughout, predominantly calcareous clay. The vines are vertically-trained to the single Guyot system in 8.04 hectares and to the open lyre in 4.54. The vineyard is sub-divided into 17 parcels, all planted to the traditional varieties authorised by the production code. One parcel is planted to Merlot; its wine is produced only in exceptional growing years, and in very limited quantities. The first vintage was bottled in 1985.
Deep, very luminous ruby red. Multi-layered, full-volumed nose of fruit, ranging through wild cherry, tobacco leaf, black liquorice, and mint. Equally superb richness and elegance in the mouth, excelling in depth and balance of all components, including the tannins.
- Item #: i_305125Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI 95+ POINTS - 'Ama's 2011 Chianti Classico Gran Selezione Vigneto Bellavista shows the darker, more brooding style of Sangiovese at Ama. Graphite, smoke, tar, licorice, incense and cloves wrap around a core of dark fruit. A wine of gravitas and vertical structure, the 2011 will reward several decades of cellaring. This is an unusually stern wine for the vintage though. Readers will have to be patient to experience the Bellavista at its best. Still, I can't help notice how much the 2011 has grown in bottle over the last year."
The Bellavista vineyard comprises 22.82 hectares, planted part in 1974 and 1978 (ca. 9.31 hectares), while the remaining 13.51 hectares were planted between 2006 and 2008; the elevation varies from 530 metres, in the area known as Bellaria, and 456 metres, for Campinuovi. The soils are predominantly clay, with abundant pebble-gravel component. 16.34 hectares are vertically-trained to the single Guyot system, and the remaining 6.48 hectares are trained to the open lyre configuration. The first release of this much-prized selection was in 1978; it is produced only in the finest growing years, in very limited quantity.
A purple-shot, deep red ruby. An emphatic spice is the first to make itself felt, classic to the Bellavista vineyard, but superbly married with well-ripened wild cherry, redcurrant, black liquorice, mint, and tobacco leaf. Powerful and masculine in its expression, the contribution of its considerable extraction. Its harmony of components and sheer elegance make this wine an extraordinary example of a Super Chianti Classico.
- Item #: i_305705Bottle Size: 750mlCastello di Fonterutoli, one of Italy's most prestigious wine producers, is situated on a historic property embracing an entire tranquil, centuries-old hamlet just south of Castellina in Chianti. The estate has been in the hands of the Mazzei family since 1435 and is today led by Lapo Mazzei and his sons, Francesco and Filippo. Grapes are hand-harvested and then fermented in temperature-controlled stainless steel tanks at 75-84°F. The total maceration period is 12-15 days. The wine is aged in a combination of French and American oak barrels for 10 months.Intense aromas of red berries and cocoa. On the palate it is soft and smooth with flavors of wild blackberries and raspberries; well balanced, with great depth and a long finish.
- Item #: i_305888Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 94Vinous Media: 93WINE SPECTATOR INSIDER 94 POINTS - "Purity and intensity mark this supple, complex red, bursting with black cherry, black currant, plum, graphite, sanguine and tobacco notes that show an underlying woodsy accent. The well-integrated structure lends support as this plays out on the long finish. Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. Best from 2021 through 2035.—B.S."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Chianti Classico impresses for the heightened level of vibrant freshness and aromatic precision that distinguishes it in a large playing field. Proprietor Maurizia di Napoli tells me that the 2016 growing season was not without its ups and downs. Farming was difficult, and not all sites came to ripeness with the same consistency because it was cooler toward the end of the growing season. Castello dei Rampolla avoids the use of sulfites in winemaking. However, these results are stunning, especially as this is positioned as a more affordable wine. The blend is 85% Sangiovese, 12% Cabernet Sauvignon and 3% Merlot."
- Item #: i_303648Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95James Suckling: 96Coltassala is named after the homonymous vineyard where they grow indigenous clones of Sangiovese. Coltassala has been affirmed by the international press as the archetype of the Chianti Classico.
It wasn't until 1994 that the government recognized the high quality of Super-Tuscans and gave the wine it's own category – IGT (Indicazione Geografica Tipica). Volpaia first released Coltassala in 1980 as a Super-Tuscan. The Chianti Classico appellation followed suit, closing the quality gap between Chianti Classico and Super-Tuscans. Now Coltassala is a Chianti Classico Gran Selezione Cru even though it's the same Super-Tuscan wine of 1980. This bottling is 95% Sangiovese and 5% Mammolo.
Gran Selezione is a new classification above Riserva, made using grapes harvested only from the winery's own estate vineyards, with upgraded requirements for alcohol, extract and aging. The new category was approved by the European Commission in early February 2014.
And "super" this wine is. The nose is warm and inviting with bright red berry fruits (cherry, raspberry) enveloped by cinnamon and allspice notes and an overall concentrated fruit leather aspect. In the mouth, this is a big Chianti loaded with tannic and acidic structure which is balanced out by bright red and dark fruits (blackberry, mixed red berries), hints of cherry cola, cedar, cherry tobacco and black tea. Muscular, graceful, harmonious. Pair with roasted meat, hard cheeses, cured sausages.
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "This wine has now been upgraded from Riserva to Gran Selezione status. The 2015 Chianti Classico Gran Selezione Coltassala is a beautifully enriched wine that bursts open with a satisfying display of bold fruit, ripe blackberry, tobacco, spice and tar. There is ample muscle and brawn, but the wine shows impressive balance thanks to its soft textural richness and full-bodied approach. The blend is 95% Sangiovese and 5% Mammolo. This is a real beauty that pairs a hot vintage with one of the coolest, high-altitude subzones (Radda in Chianti) in this celebrated appellation. I'm sure this is the best wines I have ever tasted from Castello di Volpaia."
JAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS - "A decadent nose of vanilla, brambleberries, resin, coffee beans, tobacco and hot stones with a touch of citrus and other fresher elements. Full-bodied and very intense on the palate, but the ripe tannins also show plenty of firmness. The bright acidity carries this through to a delightfully long finish. From organically grown grapes."
- Item #: i_305682Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 92Decanter: 91 PointsEU CERTIFIED ORGANIC
DECANTER 91 POINTS - "Purchased as a hunting retreat by Raffaello Stianti in 1966, Castello di Volpaia encompasses an 11th century fortified village in Radda-in-Chianti. Today the estate includes 43ha of vineyards reaching up to 600 metres. For this wine, Merlot is included to make it more approachable, but it still has the potential to age. Red berries and earth notes reveal themselves slowly, with perfumed violet nuances showing up on the palate. Firm but refined tannins hold it all together, and the finish lingers with appetising minerality."
GAMBERO ROSSO GUIDE - TRE BICCHIERE (3 GLASSES)
JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS
- Item #: i_303904Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 93 PointsDECANTER 93 POINTS - "A selection of bunches from Volpaia’s best sites among their 43ha at lofty heights in Radda-in-Chianti. The estate waited until 3 October to start picking in order to bring the grapes in at full ripeness. Distinctly peppery red fruits mark the nose, with rosehip, celery and anise backing them up. The palate is focussed and bright with brisk acidity, though the tannins need time to unwind. Nice tension here."
- Item #: i_301693Bottle Size: 750ML"The powerful and elegant wines of Caterina Dei continue to rank among the leaders of the pack in Montepulciano" - The Wine Advocate "The wines of Caterina Dei are always of good character and good, and in some cases, excellent quality." - Gambero Rosso The Rosso di Montepulciano is a young, fruity Sangiovese/Canaiolo (80%/20%) blend vinified in stainless steel and briefly in large oak. A bottle that’s great for every day drinking.