- Item #: i_303591Bottle Size: 750mlThe Montepulciano grape in Abruzzo makes some of the easiest-drinking wines in the world. Each sip delivers a mouthful of ripe berries, leather and black pepper with subtle hints of oregano, dried herbs and a touch of vanilla; all leading to a dry and supple finish.
Recommended food: Assertive, full-flavored "country style" cooking such as: Venison or rabbit stew; Ossobuco; Roast leg of lamb; Spaghetti puttanesca; Pasta with sausage, pepper and onions; Roast duck with green peppercorn sauce.
- Item #: i_302962Bottle Size: 750mlE.U. CERTIFIED ORGANIC
Cirelli is a simple and sincere expression of the land of Abruzzo, produced by a spontaneous vinification in steel. It has a delicate and light bouquet of small red fruits and wild herbs and a fresh, savory and very drinkable taste.
- Item #: i_303255Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI 95+; VINOUS - "Bright ruby. Precise, spicy aromas of ripe red berries, dark plum and violet accented by cumin and caraway seed. At once densely packed and broad but juicy and refined too, boasting terrific acid-fruit-tannin balance and penetrating red cherry, underbrush and sweet spice flavors. This lovely wine is suave and fine-grained and finishes very long. It would be prudent to decant this at least two-three hours ahead; one bottle I had was initially marred by almost unacceptable levels of funkiness, another was instead brilliantly pure and clean, so allowing this wine to breathe a little prior to serving is not a bad idea."
Emidio Pepe is a singular producer creating amazingly complex age worthy reds and whites. Though the family has been producing wines here since the end of the 19th Century, the winemaking has remained unchanged philosophically since Emidio Pepe took over the estate in 1964. Since 1997, the business and wine production has been in the hands of the fourth generation of the Pepe family with sisters, Daniela and Sofia. And, more recently, the dynamic Chiara De Iulis Pepe has joined the estate as the fifth generation!
- Item #: i_305121Bottle Size: 750mlType of viticulture:integrated/sustainable; 100% Montepulciano
Deep ruby red with purple reflections, the wine shows great intesity. On the palate the wine is supple and elegant with flavors of berries and underbrush. Pairs very well with grilled red meats.
- Item #: i_301422Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94GAMBERO ROSSO GUIDE - 3 GLASS AWARD
The 2015 Montepulciano 'Spelt' is the Riserva for the winery. It shows intense red fruit, with purple shadows. The aromas show wild rose, violet, crisp red fruits (red currant, wild strawberry), graphite and licorice. The taste shows density and persistence, with refined tannins that give the wine a voluptuous, savory profile and long finish with great freshness and mineral extension. The grapes are harvested in October, then the wine is fermented in stainless steel tanks for 3 weeks and partially aged in Slavonian barrels. The wine goes through full malolactic fermentation and the final aging occurs in 25 hl. oak barrels and 1 year in bottle. This a serious wine at an extremely reasonable price.
- Item #: i_302680Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 94One of our absolute best values for the month comes from the rugged, untamed national park lands in the central-Italian region of Abruzzo. The red variety Montepulciano is the regional star, a favorite of Italian enotecas for its highly drinkable wines at a value. One of its finest producers, the Valle Reale winery, has been a staple winery for Hi-Time Wine Cellars, and we're happy to welcome in the 2018 vintage of their entry-level Montepulciano, which received a rarely-seen score from a highly reputable critic for a wine that retails for $12.95!
Just like Valle Reale itself, there's no gimmick, just honest wine at a more-than-fair price. The Valle Real 2018 Montepulciano d'Abruzzo reflects the nearly untouched naturalness of the land: made from organically-farmed grapes, and fermented with the native strains of yeast, its sits in stainless steel for just 3 months before being bottled. It has the brightness and perfume of a mountain wine (from their cooler Popoli vineyard) imbued with the soft and generous ripeness of a warm lowland valley wine (from their Capestrano vineyard). Just take a look at Italian wine expert Ian D'Agata's 94-point review for "Vinous!"
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 94 POINTS - "Bright red. Red cherry and flowers on the perfumed nose; much more fragrant than the 2017 Montepulciano d'Abruzzo. Then fresh and juicy, with bright red fruit repeating in the mouth. Finishes long and savory, showcasing notable purity. Outstanding cool-climate Montepulciano of noteworthy refinement. Very, very well done; I'm not sure readers fully realize just how hard it is to obtain a result of this level in a cold-weather environment such as that of Popoli. This success speaks loudly of the capability and talent of owner Leonardo Pinzolo and his Valle Reale technical team."
Like with most traditional Italian wines, the experience will be even better with the right food. The Abruzzesi like hearty lentil soups, skewered meats on the grill, or pastas with lamb, but let your creativity shine!