- Item #: i_303557Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94+ POINTS - " This blend of mostly Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc, with a touch of Picolit, was bottled in July 2017. Once again, Bastianich offers us some wonderful candied fruit notes along with some tart lemon soda in the 2016 Vespa Bianco. The wine shines with bright intensity and possesses remarkable balance. There is a nice creaminess to the texture, and it has inner firmness and tightness that bodes well for the way the wine will evolve over the next few years. This is a beautiful blend."
Joe Bastianich may be from New York, but he is building quite a reputation locally with his La Mozza restaurants in LA and Newport Beach. Depending on who you ask, Joseph (Joe) Bastianich may be from New York, but he is building quite a reputation locally with his La Mozza restaurants in LA and Newport Beach. Depending on whom you ask, Joseph Bastianich is known as a winery owner in Fruili, author on one of the best books on Italian wines (Vino Italiano), one of the celebrity judges on Top Chef, or simply "Lidia’s son." Joe is one of the most accomplished and diversely talented wine personalities in America. His Vespa Bianco has a seductive richness reminiscent of Meursault’s “honey on toast” with layers of brightness, minerality, and floral touches weaving throughout.
- Item #: i_305845Bottle Size: 750mlThis wine is almost too serious to be considered a summer wine. It is incredibly complex Sauvignon Blanc. A wine of great intensity that is full and tasty. This Sauvignon Blanc is slightly herbaceous and pungent, with notes of balsamic and refreshing citrus pulp. The deep flavor is persistent and prolongs the finish with rare finesse.
"Sauvignon Blanc is the grape that originally marked Friuli as a great white wine producing zone. Because it was already a grape known to produce outstanding whites, it was easy for the wonderful Friuli interpretations to gain world renown. Sauvignon in Friuli likes a cooler climate and clear mornings so winemaker Nicola MAnferrari chose to replant this variety on an eastern facing slope.
This plot was ideal due to the high limestone content which allows the true nature of Sauvignon Blanc to arrive in the bottle. The high acidity levels of Sauvignon allow for brief cold skin maceration without losing any of the acidic vigor. After resting in 90% used oak barrels for a period of up to 10 months it is then bottled and in the best vintages a cellar barrel selection is made to produce the green label (selezione)."
Proprietor Nicola Manferrari is a highly regarded winemaker throughout Italy for his ability to find the textural complexity of white varietals from Friuli. His origins are not unlike many other great winemakers, in that he stumbled into his profession later in life. His vocation was as a pharmacist, but he often found himself wandering through the vineyards and showing a more serious interest in winemaking as opposed to his pharmacy job. After his father’s passing in 1981, he found himself in charge of 5 hectares of land with 3 under vine, basically by default. Over the past 29 years, Nicola’s Borgo Del Tiglio winery has become a benchmark in the Friulano winemaking culture. His Friulano, Sauvignon, Malvasia and Chardonnay reach optimal ripeness and offer aspects of climate, soil and vine age that are impossible to replicate in other areas of Friuli, let alone the world.
- Item #: i_303580Bottle Size: 750mlORGANICALLY FARMED
Chardonnay 40%, Friuilano 30%, Malvasia Istriana 30%
This wine boasts an intense gold color which is given by the level of ripeness of the grapes at the time of harvest, by the low yield per hectare in the vineyards, by the increased skin contact during fermentation as well as the ageing method. It is sweet and open on the nose. It has intense aromas of fresh, ripe fruit, pears and spices, with a floral, honey-like aftertaste. Outstanding length and balance with sweet, packed tannins.
- Item #: i_303313Bottle Size: 750MLIn the hills of Zegla, right near the border between Italy and Slovenia, Edi Keber makes one distinctive bottling: The Collio. The idea is to make a wine that reflects where it’s from, utilizing the local varieties: Friulano, Ribolla Gialla, and Malvasia Istriana. Fermented and refined in cement tanks, the result is certainly more than noteworthy: “...weird, wild and wonderful...” is in our notes upon tasting. The nose is sweet and intriguing with forward stone fruits, peach and apricot, mixed florals, wildflowers and honeysuckle with added notes of muscat spice, clotted cream and shortbread. The palate is rounded and fat with similar fruit flavors found in the nose (oh those stone fruits!), light spice, peach zest, notes of pear juice, a touch of citrus and lemongrass, cream, butterscotch and apricot pit. The layers are interesting and complementary, changing with each sip. The initial mouth-weight is tamed somewhat by a good, subtle streak of acidity that comes in at the mid-palate and near the finish. Something beautiful is taking place in the hills of Zegla-- and they’ve bottled it for your (and our!) enjoyment and enlightenment.
- Item #: i_301912Bottle Size: 500mlA wonderful & traditional style sweet wine from Friuli made from dried Picolit and Verduzzo grapes. Genio is a very small producer making wines that are truly reflective of the Friulian wine culture. Sognare (sohn-YAH-ray) means "to dream."
- Item #: i_300024Bottle Size: 750mlORGANICALLY FARMED & PRACTICING BIODYNAMIC
Old Style Production Wines, Indigenous yeasts, Independent Winegrowners
Orange peel, melon, apple Golden and delicate yellow flowers
Linear, from lemon zest references, salty final, very dry and savoury.
Ferdinando Zanusso set up "i Clivi" in the early 1990s. He wanted to preserve the character of the land using the traditional varieties, because he felt that the wines had drifted from their inherent character.
Ferdinando was able to purchase two ancient vineyards. Twelve hectares of very old vines on steep, terraced hills in two of Friuli's best sites: eight in Corno di Rosazzo, in the Colli Orientali del Friuli DOC district; plus four in Brazzano di Cormons, in the Collio district. The vines were in very poor condition, fortunately most could be saved.
The winery is certified organic, though this is a point of minimal importance, the wines are produced with a minimalist approach, in order to maintain the purity of the wines. The current production is around 1,500 cases of white and 500 of red. Ferdinando and his son Mario run the small property.
Soil of Marl and sandstone, 30 year old vines, gentle whole bunch pressing, indigenous yeasts, no malolatic fermentation, 6 months maturation in stainless steel, no oak, no fining.
- Item #: i_301904Bottle Size: 750mlORANGE WINE
This winery near the Slovenian border makes lovely minimal interventionist wines. This Chardonnay from the Venezia Giulia denomination is made with 7 days of skin contact and aged in large Slavonian oak for a year followed by ageing in stainless steel, then held in bottle for several years before release.
- Item #: i_302650Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 91Wine Enthusiast: 91ORGANICALLY FARMED
Jermann is a specialist in modern Friulian winemaking, led by their innovative "Vintage Tunina," which became a cult wine in the 70s, helping spur a revolution in the Italian wine industry.
JAMES SUCKLING 91 POINTS - "A delicious pinot grigio with cooked apples and honey and hints lemon rind, following through to a medium body. Dried-apple and pineapple character at the finish."
- Item #: i_305867Bottle Size: 750mlSauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Ribolla Gialla, Malvasia Istriana, and Picolit.
JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "The complexity and depth to this wine is really beautiful with sliced, spiced pears and lemons with wonderful length and focus. Spicy. Showing beautiful balance and depth. "
- Item #: i_302412Bottle Size: 750MLWinery Notes - "Brilliant lemon-green in color, Kris offers enticing aromas of acacia flowers, citrus, tangerine, and hints of almonds. Recommended with risotto, tossed salads, homemade pasta and grilled white meats or salmon." Kris is one of our best selling Pinot Grigios every year.
- Item #: i_301913Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE - "The 2009 Friuli Colli Orientali Pignolo opens to a fragrant and floral bouquet with pressed rose petal, wild berry and cassis. On the nose, the wine appears much younger than it actually is. The quality of the fruit is vibrant and youthful. In the mouth, this Pignolo offers grit and determination with fine tannins and a medium build. It closes with smooth layers of richness and dark fruity intensity."
- Item #: i_305016Bottle Size: 750ml100% Refosco Dal Peduncolo Rosso. Deep red color with slight violet tint. A rich, complex, earthy wine. Mature, dark fruit aromas and flavors with a hint of spiciness. Characteristic minerality from the flysch Eocene soil. Grapes ferment with indigenous yeast. Wine is aged in wood barrels for a year then in bottles for three more years, leaving time for the wine to settle. An elegant version of this local variety. Pairs best with game, meat dishes, grilled meats or aged cheeses.
- Item #: i_301627Bottle Size: 750mlItaly is a treasure trove of rare grapes varieties and there is so much to discover and appreciate there. Ronca di Cialla is devoted to several local varieties, making wines with a traditional spirit. This wine is easy to love and for all of you fans of old-world Pinot Noir, this wine should be right up your alley. This is a chiseled, fine bone structure wine, with aromas of red and blackcurrants, underbrush and green peppercorns along with some balsam notes from the integrated oak ageing. The mouthful is vibrant with fresh acidity, 'minerality,' and delicate fine grained tannins.
Aged in French barrique for 14-18 months, followed by bottle ageing for up to 36 months before release.
- Item #: i_302054Bottle Size: 750mlScarpetta is a winery owned and operated by Bobby Stuckey, M.S. and Chef Lachlan Patterson who are the owners and creators of Frasca Food and Wine in Boulder, Colorado. Frasca is a restaurant inspired by the culture and cuisine of Friuli Venezia-Giulia, Italy. We work with three of the best vineyards for Pinot Grigio in Friuli. The first vineyard is on the rolling banks of the Isonzo River, the second is in the hills of the Collio and the third is in the hills of the Collio Orientali del Friuli. Our grapes are planted in cooler sites resulting in a wine of balanced acidity and alcohol. The wine shows that Pinot Grigio can be light and dry with veins of minerality and floral aromatics.
Aromatics: Aromas of white flowers, stone fruits such as apricots and peach and hints of minerality.
Palate: On the palate, the wine is crisp and dry with medium high acidity and tastes of stone fruits, lavender, honey, pear, white flowers and minerals.
- Item #: i_301698Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 95JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "Aromas of sesame leaves, lemon zest, coriander, white pepper and paprika. Full-bodied, dense and, at the same time agile. Hints of olive oil and green olives. Citrus fruit, too. Drink now."
- Item #: i_306116Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 90Azienda Agricola Schiopetto is a legendary white wine producer in the Friuli region that has been leading the innovation of Italian wine production since 1965. Mario Schiopetto, founder and master winemaker, bottled his first “Tocai” in 1965 from his estate in Capriva del Friuli. Today the estate continues his life's work of bringing modernization and international recognition to the white wines of this region.
JAMES SUCKLING 90 POINTS - "A round, fruity white with herbal, lemon-grass and some green-apple character. Medium to full body. A little diffused in the palate, but attractive. Drink now."
- Item #: i_301909Bottle Size: 750mlFriulano – Malvasia - Ribolla gialla
Vineyards planted between 1960 and 1988
Sweet, large, spicy with varietal characteristics; with hints of citrus, almond, walnut, exotic fruit and hints of white peach, sage and white pepper. Wine with a great structure, with good acidity and harmonious fruit and spice; the typical almond aftertaste and exotic fruit is very persistent.
- Item #: i_302711Bottle Size: 750mlPRACTICING ORGANIC
This is a classic Friulian Pinot Grigio made by allowing the juice and skins to macerate for 3 days, giving it a copper-blush hue. Then, 20% of the wine is aged in 1500 Liter barrels and 80% in stainless steel for a total of 8 months. Refreshing and mineral, it has subtle orange and stone fruit notes, with a moderately rich mouthfeel and finish due to that extended skin contact. A flexible food partner!
- Item #: i_373036Bottle Size: 750MLWINE ENTHUSIAST 92 POINTS - "This copper-colored wine has a perfumed nose evoking spring wildflowers and white stone fruit with whiffs of wild herb. The savory palate features juicy peach, white cherry and ginger notes alongside tangy acidity."
- Item #: i_305348Bottle Size: 750mlPRACTICING ORGANIC
KERMIT LYNCH WINE MERCHANT - "Chioma in Italian means 'long hair' and 'canopy of tree leaves.' Though it is generally accepted that vines are trimmed of excess leaves or fruit to concentrate a vine’s efforts toward healthy bunches of grapes, Lorenzo and Federica let their vines find their own balance, choosing not to trim any of their vines. Suffice it to say that this is one of Duline’s many secrets to success. Malvasia Istriana is a form of the Malvasia grape that is native to the Istrian Peninsula, and it produces deliciously complex white wines that are a far cry from other Malvasia produced in central Italy. This is a seductive apéritif and an excellent seafood white."
Aged for 7-8 months: Half of it in 5-year old 11 hectoliter oak barrels, and half in 2.5 hectoliter barrels between 5 and 15-years old.