- Item #: i_301373Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 95+ POINTS - "Deep vivid red. Brooding aromas and flavors hint at pencil shavings, red currant jelly, red cherry nectar, yellow flowers, coffee and herbs. Dense and tactile but also very fruity in the mouth, expressing a noteworthy steely quality. In fact, much more steely than the 2014 Serra della Contessa, and so less immediately juicy/fruity but rather more taut and classically austere at this present time of development. Ought to age splendidly. From very old vines grown at 750 meters above sea level on the northern slopes of Etna."
- Item #: i_305321Bottle Size: 750ml80% Nerello Mascalese, 20% Nerello Cappuccio
Benanti is a Hi-Time staple winery, which owes a lot to their minimal-interventionist style, which focuses on an honest expression of the Nerello grapes in this unique terrain.
WINE ENTHUSIAST - "Truffle, crushed mint and red berry aromas mingle with a whiff of wild rose. The aromas carry through to the...racy palate along with white pepper and a citrus note. A hint of oyster shell gives it a tangy finish."
- Item #: i_301992Bottle Size: 750mlPRACTICING ORGANIC
Nerello Mascalese & Cappuccio.
We are excited to offer you this Sicilian diamond in the rough from Calabretta. Everyone has heard of the wondrous southern Italian island of Sicily, with its rugged, exquisite black terrain housing Mt. Etna, the still quite active volcano. The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, all of the major wine publications (and the minor ones, too) have waxed poetic on the wild, raw beauty of this sunny island and their wines, with an emphasis lately on the indigenous grapes of Sicily: Nerello Mascalese - a sleek, graceful red (a grape reminiscent of Nebbiolo) and its huskier sibling Nerello Cappuccio.
The newly found fame of this viticultural area has given way for all the major players in the winebiz to settle here. While quietly, in the background is Calabretta, a winery founded in 1900, who keep on making wine just as they have done for generations. The winery is run by Massimo Calabretta and his son Massimiliano, farming approximately seven hectares of 70-80-year-old vines, many ungrafted planted on steep terraces. The Calabrettas are traditional producers, crafting their wines in a similar manner to Barolo, by long aging in massive neutral barrels (known as botti), and releasing them after extended ageing in the cellar. This is a costly service to the winemaker, a practice that is rarely done these days. The result is beautiful, and we are thankful for their effort.
In the glass, the wine is clear, medium garnet with a pinkish rim. The nose is intensely fruited and herbal with strong notes of cherries, orange peel, lavender, leather, rose petals, clove, and white truffle. The palate is equally swoon-worthy, with a Pinot Noir-like body and good acidity, sporting flavors of cherries, blackberries, cranberry, rhubarb, sage, walnut, tomato leaf and a hint of English Breakfast Tea on its fine tannins. This is a wine of tremendous character, something you could linger on and enjoy by just sniffing to uncover its many facets. We can't wait to try this wine with dishes such as osso bucco, duck, rabbit or veal.
What is the vintage of this wine? "Cala Cala" means "table wine" in Italian; and Calabretta's is a blend of four different wines of Etna Rosso. 2009 (2 different wines), 2005 and 2008... so 4 wines together! This is an exceptional buy, and something every lover of traditionally styled wines must try.
- Item #: i_301249Bottle Size: 750ML70% Syrah, 30% Nerello Mascalese
Colosi is a great source for value-priced whites and reds that are sure to find a place as house wines or by the glass offerings. This year the wines are a little less exciting than they have been in the past, but it is hard to argue with the quality Colosi puts into the bottle at these prices."
- Item #: i_301771Bottle Size: 750mlThe Cerasuolo di Vittoria Classico by Cos is a red wine vinified in cement tanks. A complex range of scents can be felt on the nose: notes of black currant, blackberry, dried rose and rhubarb, of Mediterranean scrub, black pepper and tobacco. On the palate it is soft and expressive, fresh and persistent. Organic Wine, made with old style artisanal methods
- Item #: i_301326Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS; #96 TOP WINE OF 2017 - "A well-focused, rich red in a balanced, medium-bodied frame, this offers a subtle underpinning of tarry mineral notes layered over light, sculpted tannins and flavors of mulberry and dried fig, with hints of herbes de Provence and mocha. Drink now through 2025."
- Item #: i_303901Bottle Size: 750mlORGANICALLY FARMED
VINOUS; IAN D'AGATA 91 POINTS - "Dark ruby-red. Musky notes of ripe dark cherry, earth tones and cedar. Then brighter and more linear, with fresh flavors of black/red fruit complicated by herbs and earthy spices. Finishes juicy and long. "
Nero d'Avola grape variety, sometimes incorrectly referred to as Calabrian (from the region of Calabria), is considered as the most typical and representative red grape of Sicily. Incrediable ruby red color, with deep violet reflections. A intense bouquet with characteristic of red fruit and hint of vanilla. The flavor is harmonious and a great lingering finish.
A smooth and at the same time plucky wine that magnificently accompanies winter legume, multi-grain, and vegetable soups. It envelops and takes custody of the liquid aspect of soups, tender in capturing the theme of the accompaniment without ever giving the sensation of prevailing. Another intriguing possibility is that of drinking it with Mediterranean dishes that unite flavourful vegetables, herbs and cheeses such as an oven baked pasta with aubergines, parmesan, mozzerella, and aromatic herbs, or also the classic aubergine parmesan.
- Item #: i_305303Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-95A blend of local native varieties inspired by a century-old blend, dominated by Nerello Mascalese and Nerello Cappuccio, with smaller quantities of Nocera, Cappuccio Tignolino, Acitana, Galatena and Calabrese. Aged in French oak, then in bottle for an extended time.
WINE ADVOCATE 93 - 95 POINTS - "Not released yet, the 2010 Faro Palari opens to a light garnet color and shows Burgundian aromas of small berry, moist earth and wild mushroom. Crushed flowers and rose petals also appear. Nerello Mascalese is known for the harshness of its tannins, but they have been well-managed in this expression appearing polished and smooth across the board. In fact, the tannin management in 2010 is excellent and this wine is slightly softer than previous editions."
- Item #: i_306110Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 93 POINTS - "Vibrant red. Frappato's uniquely pungent and highly recognizable floral note dominates the nose and pushes the red berry and herbal aromas into the background. Then suave and ripe, but also very fresh with refined flavors reminiscent of the aromas that last and last. The finish features hints of sweet spices and minerals that linger nicely. This is a really lovely wine that will match heavenly with chicken and veal dishes; well done."
- Item #: i_305001Bottle Size: 750ml"The song of the summer is the sound of crickets. The song of the Island of the Sun, warm, elegant, perfumed wine is the song that I did here. "Paul Cali
Vine Grillo 100%
Ground limestone clay with pebbles and sand
Straw yellow with golden reflections
Floral fragrance with notes of citrus and spices typical of the grape
Pairing Ideal with fish, shellfish, fried food and white meat. Very suitable pairing with matured cheeses and soft
- Item #: i_303117Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "Rich with Sicilian puff pastry and cannoli crust, the 2018 Sicilia Menfi Chardonnay is an elaborate and full-bodied expression of this important white grape. The wine drives home a lasting impression of volume and opulence thanks to stone fruit, vanilla cream and baked bread. That touch of acidity is just enough to keep the wine light and jazzy in terms of mouthfeel. I also get that sweetness from Sicilian blood orange juice when it's freshly squeezed."
La Planeta is one of the great success stories coming out of the Italian island of Sicily. Three enthusiastic young Sicilians – Alessio, Francesca and Santi Planeta began their winemaking venture in the mid-1980s on plots of land the family has owned since the 1600s. In a short time, they helped bring about a “Sicilian wine renaissance”, achieving success and critical acclaim by brilliantly matching grape varieties to the diverse Sicilian soils and emphasizing quality. Perhaps their first flagship wine to really shake up the wine world was their stunning Chardonnay.
The winery and the old family farmhouse are situated on the banks of Arancio Lake in the eastern portion of Sicily. The soil is deep and chalky, which is perfect for the production of Planeta’s Chardonnay. The wine is fermented and aged for 10 months in 225-liter French oak barrels, 50% new and 50% one-year-old before bottling.
- Item #: i_302725Bottle Size: 750mlORGANICALLY FARMED
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "More dried-fruit character in this than in others from here; it’s a red driven by dried strawberries, frozen raspberries, cherry liqueur and dried herbs. Good savoriness and meatiness to the full-bodied palate, which rolls neatly through the underlying richness with poise and finesse. The tannins are round yet structured; the finish is medium-long."
- Item #: i_302726Bottle Size: 750mlORGANICALLY FARMED
JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "Sour cherries, ripe strawberries, heather, rosemary, cedar, sweet tobacco and red licorice all spring from the glass. The full-bodied palate remains racy throughout, painting a precisely framed, confident portrait of subtle berries with loads of acidity crunch. "
- Item #: i_301016Bottle Size: 750mlORGANICALLY FARMED
From the ash soils of Mount Etna's north slope comes this 100% Carricante (one of Italy's noblest white grapes) with its floral and spicy nose, and intense, apple and pear-fruited and vanilla-tinged flavors, and a mouthfeel that's soft with mineral sensations. The wine is fermented in in French oak.