- Item #: i_303816Bottle Size: 750mlIn the glass, the 2017 Catarratto is a bright yellow-gold flecked with green, with aromas of bergamot orange, apricot, meyer lemon, green herbs, capers, white flowers, and a hint of freshly chopped almonds. Medium-plus in body, with lots of ripe, sun-kissed fruit on the mid-palate, it cleans up beautifully on the crisp, slightly chalky finish.
- Item #: i_305321Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ENTHUSIAST - "Truffle, crushed mint and red berry aromas mingle with a whiff of wild rose. The aromas carry through to the light-bodied, racy palate along with white pepper and a citrus note. A hint of oyster shell gives it a tangy finish."
- Item #: i_301723Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 93Each month we scour the wine landscapes to find a stellar bottling that offers a ton of bang-for-the-buck value. With our Wine of the Month program, we try and keep it around $10 or under. For the Wine of the Month 2, we relax the price rule a bit but still are looking for a great wine that's priced fairly. This category (WoM2) started because we were finding many amazing wines that couldn't quite fit into our sub-$10 price. This wine in particular, Firriato's "Chiaramonte" Nero d'Avola, is the perfect example for this category as the quality is stellar and the price is a bargain for what's in the glass.
And what's in it? Bright fruits and warm spices exude magnificently from the glass...dark red plums, nutmeg, dried purple flowers, balsa wood, notes of wild herbs and garden soil. The palate is loaded with pure fruit, more dark red plums and purple berries. Light acidity keeps the profile uplifted and lively as soft tannins enwrap the red fruits, cherry cola, dark chocolate and a touch of sassafras in the finish. It's a winning combination of gracefulness anchored with strength, a pas de deux of yin and yang combining to form a whole greater than its parts.
This native Sicilian vine shines with a new light in this wine which fully embodies all the authentic properties of its fruit. It is a different interpretation of Nero d'Avola that evokes with personality all the aromatic qualities of the island's most important red grape variety. The unique characteristics of the Dàgala Borromeo estate where this varietal is grown, lend themselves to shaping its modern structure and complex aromatic profile. Firriato's research reaches its highest pinnacle here in the sandy loam, alluvial soils of this plain, with an attentive viticulture that fully reveals the great biodiversity of the Sicilian native vines' heritage. Chiaramonte Nero d'Avola is one of the purest manifestations of this philosophy.
JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "Dried berry and spice with hints of rose petal on the nose. Full body. Round, velvety and ripe tannins. Gorgeous fruit. Drink or hold."
- Item #: i_302607Bottle Size: 750mlFirriato has always had a great sense of responsibility and ability to respond to topical issues that affect the entire global society: from global warming to climate change, from the reduction of the biosphere to the risk of thinning biodiversity. To crown the virtuous process that started from its foundation, which saw it achieve very important results in terms of environmental sustainability, as the whole BIO certified agriculture, Firriato totally neutralized its greenhouse gases footprint on the environment, becoming CARBON NEUTRAL.
3 GLASS AWARD - GAMBERO ROSSO GUIDE
"This Nero d'Avola opens with ripe black-skinned berry, carob and cedar aromas. The chewy savory palate offers dried black cherry, raspberry jam and cocoa alongside fine-grained tannins." - WINE ENTHUSIAST
In the early 1980`s Salvatore Di Gaetano`s passion for wine drew him to a unique place: Contrada Firriato in the extraordinary countryside outside the city of Trapani. It is a land, which bears the deep and indelible signs of wine-growing and the culture of wine, nestled between Trapani`s marvelous sea and coastline and the majestic rock on which the town of Erice stands. At Firriato, respect for the naturalness of grapes, exalting their wine-making potential and enhancing the unique features of each grape variety are the rules that Salvatore Di Gaetano has strictly followed right from the beginning, harvest after harvest. These rules have allowed for the creation of a new model of winery rooted in the local territory and focused on more demanding and educated markets.
100% NERO D'AVOLA
- Item #: i_301249Bottle Size: 750MLAn awesome, mouth filling red loaded with dark fruit, chocolate and gorgeous aromatic intensity a ridiculously good wine for the money. Refined in oak barrels, which exalts its characteristics. 100% Nero d'Avola.
Colosi is a great source for value-priced whites and reds that are sure to find a place as house wines or by the glass offerings. This year the wines are a little less exciting than they have been in the past, but it is hard to argue with the quality Colosi puts into the bottle at these prices."
- Item #: i_301771Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 95ORGANICALLY FARMED
JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "Full body, layered and very powerful with a wealth of fruit and polished tannins. An intense wine. This is like no other Cerasuolo. Made from biodynamically-grown grapes. Drinkable but better in 2020."
Winery Notes - "Cerasuolo di Vittoria is a classic blend made from Frappato blend and Nero d'Avola in regulated areas. It's produced mainly in the province of Ragusa and in the provinces of Catania and Caltanissetta, all ancient winegrowing areas as evidenced by numerous documents dating back to the third century BC."
- Item #: i_303901Bottle Size: 750mlORGANICALLY FARMED
VINOUS; IAN D'AGATA 91 POINTS - "Dark ruby-red. Musky notes of ripe dark cherry, earth tones and cedar. Then brighter and more linear, with fresh flavors of black/red fruit complicated by herbs and earthy spices. Finishes juicy and long. "
Nero d'Avola grape variety, sometimes incorrectly referred to as Calabrian (from the region of Calabria), is considered as the most typical and representative red grape of Sicily. Incrediable ruby red color, with deep violet reflections. A intense bouquet with characteristic of red fruit and hint of vanilla. The flavor is harmonious and a great lingering finish.
A smooth and at the same time plucky wine that magnificently accompanies winter legume, multi-grain, and vegetable soups. It envelops and takes custody of the liquid aspect of soups, tender in capturing the theme of the accompaniment without ever giving the sensation of prevailing. Another intriguing possibility is that of drinking it with Mediterranean dishes that unite flavourful vegetables, herbs and cheeses such as an oven baked pasta with aubergines, parmesan, mozzerella, and aromatic herbs, or also the classic aubergine parmesan.
- Item #: i_303912Bottle Size: 750MLORGANICALLY FARMED
Burgundy by way of Sicily... that is the best way to explain this graceful, delicious wine that drinks so effortlessly. The wine is fresh and pure, with blackberry and cranberry flavors, medium acid, and spice accents. The grape is 100% Frappato, a native grape of Sicily, and is made by Arianna Occhipinti, who has become the darling of the wine world, with sommeliers in NYC and SF singing her praises, and for good reason. Her wines exemplify Mt. Etna's high-elevation landscape, coming from black volcanic soil, erupting with lovely red fruit, and finishing with soft tannins. Superb.
- Item #: i_302612Bottle Size: 750mlORGANICALLY FARMED
Named for the road going past the winery, SP68 is a blend of Nero d’Avola and Frappato made from young vines and new plantings. Many think of Sicily as a source of bulk wine, but Arianna’s are soulful and balanced, fresh and lively. The Nero imparts rich dark red fruits and the Frappato gives a high-toned raspberry note, a perfect balance of power and finesse. The wine is energetic and electric, bursting with flavors of tart cherry, raspberry and herbs and soft tannins, making this one of the best values in her lineup. This is a wine we would heartily recommend to be served slightly chilled with food.
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 91 POINTS - "Deep red. Perfumed aromas and flavors of violet, minerals and spicy dark plums. Very juicy and fresh in the mouth, with noteworthy salinity on the long suave finish."
- Item #: i_305303Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-95A blend of local native varietals inspired by a century-old blend. The dominant varietals are Nerello Mascalese, Nerello Cappuccio with smaller quantities of Nocera, Cappuccio Tignolino, Acitana, Galatena and Calabrese.
WINE ADVOCATE 93 - 95 POINTS - "Not released yet, the 2010 Faro Palari opens to a light garnet color and shows Burgundian aromas of small berry, moist earth and wild mushroom. Crushed flowers and rose petals also appear. Nerello Mascalese is known for the harshness of its tannins, but they have been well-managed in this expression appearing polished and smooth across the board. In fact, the tannin management in 2010 is excellent and this wine is slightly softer than previous editions."
- Item #: i_305001Bottle Size: 750ml"The song of the summer is the sound of crickets. The song of the Island of the Sun, warm, elegant, perfumed wine is the song that I did here. "Paul Cali
Vine Grillo 100%
Ground limestone clay with pebbles and sand
Straw yellow with golden reflections
Floral fragrance with notes of citrus and spicy typical of the grape
Taste binder, fruity with a long and refreshing
Pairing Ideal with fish, shellfish, fried food and white meat. Very suitable pairing with matured cheeses and soft
- Item #: i_303117Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2017 Sicilia Menfi Chardonnay boasts the energy and radiance of the new world of Sicilian enology. Toasted spice and apricot are followed by honey, poached pear and sweet spice such as cinnamon and nutmeg (but only just a pinch). I'll give this wine a solid 10-year drinking window. There is a touch of sweet honey on the finish."
La Planeta is one of the great success stories coming out of the Italian island of Sicily. Three enthusiastic young Sicilians – Alessio, Francesca and Santi Planeta began their winemaking venture in the mid-1980s on plots of land the family has owned since the 1600s. In a short time, they helped bring about a “Sicilian wine renaissance”, achieving success and critical acclaim by brilliantly matching grape varieties to the diverse Sicilian soils and emphasizing quality. Perhaps their first flagship wine to really shake up the wine world was their stunning Chardonnay.
The winery and the old family farmhouse are situated on the banks of Arancio Lake in the eastern portion of Sicily. The soil is deep and chalky, which is perfect for the production of Planeta’s Chardonnay. The wine is fermented and aged for 10 months in 225-liter French oak barrels, 50% new and 50% one-year-old before bottling.
- Item #: i_301352Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 90 PointsDECANTER 90 POINTS - "Young vines on various sites. Red-fruited nose is delicate and floral, great charm. Concentrated and quite tannic, but has bright acidity that gives fine length and a poised finish."
- Item #: i_302753Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91Wine Spectator: 91James Suckling: 91ORGANICALLY FARMED
JAMES SUCKLING 91 POINTS -"Lots of strawberry and lemon aromas that follow through to a full-bodied, layered palate with ripe tannins and dried-fruit and walnut undertones. From organically grown grapes."
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The 2017 Etna Rosso is a beautiful wine that manages to effectively communicate both the elegance and the power of this stellar appellation in Sicily. There is also a straightforward or straight-shooting aspect to the wine that adds to its focus and the sharpness of its aromatic delivery. Bright acidity and fine tannins add to that linearity and simplicity. This is 95% Nerello Mascalese with 5% Nerello Cappuccio. The wine is fermented in large oak casks, and it ages in large oak containers for up to 18 months."
WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "This medium-bodied red is creamy and finely balanced overall, though a firm core of tannins structures the flavors of crushed raspberry, cherry and tangy mineral, with hints of dried marjoram and woodsy spice. Fresh and lovely."