- Item #: i_305537Bottle Size: 750ml100% Greco from the district of San Paolo. The vines here range from 5 to 60 years old, all of which enjoy an eastern exposure at 500 meters above sea level. Soft pressing of the fruit is followed by fermentation and maturation in stainless steel for 7 months before bottling." —winemaker
- Item #: i_302755Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 95JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "Very deep and dark, but also fragrant, this glides from dried blueberries, tar, brambleberry essence and cassis to cedar, tobacco and dried nutmeg. The palate is rich and concentrated with a ton of fine-grained tannins and a long, complex, dry finish. Drink in 2023."
The Galardi Terra di Lavoro is considered one of the top Italian wines by many wine critics, and it is Campania’s top rated wine year after year. The previous 14 vintages of Galardi Terra di Lavoro have all been rated 93 to 99 points by Robert Parker with 8 vintages rated 97 points or higher. The 2011 vintage has not yet been reviewed by Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate, but the 2011 was recently rated by James Suckling at 97 points. The Terra di Lavoro is a blend of 80% Aglianico and 20% Piedirosso grown organically on the slopes of the Roccamonfina Volcano. Only a few thousand bottles are produced each year.
80% Aglianico & 20% Piedirosso
- Item #: i_302609Bottle Size: 750mlThe volcanic soils allow this Pallagrello Nero to be grown with biodynamic methods. This wine is vinified naturally and the mature grapes are macerated for a prolonged period of time in earthenware amphorae. Only natural occurring wild yeasts are used and it never experiences filtration.
Praticing Organic & Biodynamics
- Item #: i_301933Bottle Size: 750mlMade from 60% Falanghina and 40% Biancolella grown in the rocky, calcareous soils of both Ravello and Scala, this slightly floral, wonderfully mineral, fresh white wine tastes like the crystalline blue sea and sunshine captured in a bottle.
- Item #: i_302652Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 91WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "Fine and creamy, this elegant, light- to medium-bodied white leads with a waft of almond blossom that carries to the palate's baked nectarine, stony mineral, ground ginger and honey flavors. Offers a fresh, lingering finish."
Established in 1750 by Pietro di Berardino (he adopted the title of Mastro, which eventually merged with Berardino) and officially registered in 1878 by Cavalier Angelo Mastroberardino, Campania’s Mastroberardino is one of Italy’s great winemaking estates.
- Item #: i_305482Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "A dry and aromatic red, with accents of cured tobacco and pencil shavings to the flavors of baked raspberry, licorice snap and tarry smoke. Well-knit and balanced, this is full-bodied, with dense tannins firming the finish. Give this some time in the cellar to shine. Best from 2020 through 2031."
Mastroberardino is another winery that seems to have found an extra gear or two over the last few years. The Taurasis remain the flagships, but readers should also pay close attention to the entry-level reds and the best whites in this range. All of the wines are deeply varietal, making Mastroberardino a perfect place to start learning about the great wines of Campania.
Serve with hard cheese, truffles, porcini mushrooms.
- Item #: i_305464Bottle Size: 750mlTaurasi Riserva Vigna Grande Cerzita is a cru on one hectar of Aglianico grapes. The soil originated by ashes and pumices, is volcanic, not calcareous, well dranied, deep and with rough texture. These conditions allow an elevated availability of oxygen for the roots. The vineyard situated at 440 meters of altitude with a slope of 15%, has a density of 5000 vines per hectar and is cultivated with a spurred cordon pruning.
Vigna Grande Cerzito is characterized by refined flavours of cherry, plum and chocolate and by a full and delicte structure. It is very long-lived and becomes more fine and elegant year by year, completing its profile with fresh notes of mint, eucalypt and incense.
- Item #: i_301223Bottle Size: 750mlFalanghina 65%, Biancolella 30%, Pepella 5%
Aged 6 - 8 months on the lees in stainless. Bottle-aged 1- 2 months.
Golden straw color. Aromas of lemons and rhubarb turn to minerals and melons. Medium-bodied, with great freshness, nervy acidity and gorgeous fruit. Delicious.
Born out of a desire to revive ancient viticultural traditions, Tenuta San Francesco was established in 2004 and is set in the ancient Di Palma family estate, situated in the “green heart” of the breathtaking Amalfi Coast. Under the guidance of Avellino oenologist Carmine Valentino, the tenuta produces wines using estate-grown grapes from three local historical families - Bove, d’Avino, and Giodano - who were determined to save the last pre-phylloxera vines, well over 100 years old, found in the mountainous Tramonti area.
San Francesco’s vineyards extend over seven hectares situated along steep-sloped terraced lands, rising 300 - 500 metres above sea level and characterized by high density plantings of indigenous grape varietals. Of the seven hectares, four are planted with one hundred year old vines of tintore and piedirosso, while two and half are cultivated with falanghina, biancolella, and peppella. The remaining land is dedicated to a genetic selection of aglianico and piedirosso.
- Item #: i_375991Bottle Size: 750mlThis sparkler is composed of 100% Fiano grapes sourced from the eleven acre Sarno estate situated in the Avellino Campania. The vines which are organically farmed are planted on rich soil deposits of calcareous clay and limestone that are characteristic of the region- a phenomenon attributable to the great eruption of Mount Vesuvius, back in 1944.
The sparkle is created via the Charmant Method with six months of lees contact. No dosage was added prior to bottling. In the glass this bubbly displays a light, straw-color and a mild effervescence. It opens with subdued acacia and honey aromas that carry over to the palate joining yellow apple fruit and brisk acidity. A pleasing almond note marks on the mouth-watering finish.
- Item #: i_305099Bottle Size: 750mlWINERY NOTES - "Aromatic complexity with ample and elegant citrus and floral scents, Considerable minerality sustained by a prominent acidity, with a natable dryness. In the final notes, honey and toasted hazelnut. Soft, complex and elegant, of rich structure, with a long persistence on the palate."
- Item #: i_303725Bottle Size: 750mlThis 2016 has the requisite freshness and aromatic lift you’d expect from a young, un-oaked white, albeit with a level of depth and structure you might not have expected: In the glass, it’s a deep yellow-gold with a slight hint of green, with good viscosity as it’s swirled. Much like French Chenin Blanc, Fiano is capable of a wide range of expressions, from steely and bone-dry to lush, honeyed, and sweet; this one falls squarely in the dry and mineral camp, but shows nice richness and fruit concentration on the palate, with aromas of green apple, white peach, wildflower honey (a classic Fiano note), citrus peel/blossoms, and faint hint of smoke. Nearing medium-plus in body, its lushness is checked by great freshness and a tactile mineral grip that makes your mouth water.
- Item #: i_305724Bottle Size: 750mlAnnounced by a rich, deep red, the wine opens to a rich, multi-layered bouquet of black liquorice and red and black berry fruit, lifted by scents of violets, segueing into a broad-volumed, austere palate, whose complexity is enhanced by expressive, well-integrated tannins. This is an elegant, long-lived wine. -Winery Notes