- Item #: i_303580Bottle Size: 750mlORGANICALLY FARMED
Chardonnay 40%, Friuilano 30%, Malvasia Istriana 30%
This wine boasts an intense gold color which is given by the level of ripeness of the grapes at the time of harvest, by the low yield per hectare in the vineyards, by the increased skin contact during fermentation as well as the ageing method. It is sweet and open on the nose. It has intense aromas of fresh, ripe fruit, pears and spices, with a floral, honey-like aftertaste. Outstanding length and balance with sweet, packed tannins.
- Item #: i_302713Bottle Size: 750mlGenio ("genius") is the label for this project out of Friuli in Northeastern Italy. Gioire ("to enjoy") is the name of this particular wine, made from the Friulano grape. It's a wine made with minimal intervention, with a firm nod to tradition, and showing the fleshier, medium bodied style the grape can make. It's indeed a joy to drink, with moderate levels of pear and citrus flavors, yellow peach, almond, along with a fresh herbal and chamomile character and subtle crushed rock minerality.
- Item #: i_301912Bottle Size: 500mlA wonderful & traditional style sweet wine from Friuli made from dried Picolit and Verduzzo grapes. Genio is a very small producer making wines that are truly reflective of the Friulian wine culture. Sognare (sohn-YAH-ray) means "to dream."
- Item #: i_300024Bottle Size: 750mlORGANICALLY FARMED & PRACTICING BIODYNAMIC
Old Style Production Wines, Indigenous yeasts, Independent Winegrowners
Orange peel, melon, apple Golden and delicate yellow flowers
Linear, from lemon zest references, salty final, very dry and savoury
Ferdinando Zanusso set up "i Clivi" in the early 1990s. He wanted to preserve the character of the land using the traditional varieties, because he felt that the wines had drifted from their inherent character.
Ferdinando was able to purchase two ancient vineyards. Twelve hectares of very old vines on steep, terraced hills in two of Friuli's best sites: eight in Corno di Rosazzo, in the Colli Orientali del Friuli DOC district; plus four in Brazzano di Cormons, in the Collio district. The vines were in very poor condition, fortunately most could be saved.
The winery is certified organic, though this is a point of minimal importance, the wines are produced with a minimalist approach, in order to maintain the purity of the wines. The current production is around 1,500 cases of white and 500 of red. Ferdinando and his son Mario run the small property.
Soil of Marl and sandstone, 30 year old vines, gentle whole bunch pressing, indigenous yeasts, no malolatic fermentation, 6 months maturation in stainless steel, no oak, no fining.
- Item #: i_301904Bottle Size: 750mlORANGE WINE
This winery near the Slovenian border makes lovely minimal interventionist wines. This Chardonnay from the Venezia Giulia denomination is made with 7 days of skin contact and aged in large Slavonian oak for a year followed by ageing in stainless steel, then held in bottle for several years before release.
- Item #: i_305867Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 95Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Ribolla Gialla, Malvasia Istriana, and Picolit.
JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "The complexity and depth to this wine is really beautiful with sliced, spiced pears and lemons with wonderful length and focus. Spicy. Showing beautiful balance and depth. "
- Item #: i_302650Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 91Wine Enthusiast: 91 PointsORGANICALLY FARMED
Jermann is a specialist in modern Friulian winemaking, led by their innovative "Vintage Tunina," which became a cult wine in the 70s, helping spur a revolution in the Italian wine industry.
JAMES SUCKLING 91 POINTS - "A delicious pinot grigio with cooked apples and honey and hints lemon rind, following through to a medium body. Dried-apple and pineapple character at the finish."
- Item #: i_302412Bottle Size: 750MLWinery Notes - "Brilliant lemon-green in color, Kris offers enticing aromas of acacia flowers, citrus, tangerine, and hints of almonds. Recommended with risotto, tossed salads, homemade pasta and grilled white meats or salmon." Kris is one of our best selling Pinot Grigios every year.
- Item #: i_301913Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE - "The 2009 Friuli Colli Orientali Pignolo opens to a fragrant and floral bouquet with pressed rose petal, wild berry and cassis. On the nose, the wine appears much younger than it actually is. The quality of the fruit is vibrant and youthful. In the mouth, this Pignolo offers grit and determination with fine tannins and a medium build. It closes with smooth layers of richness and dark fruity intensity."
- Item #: i_305016Bottle Size: 750ml100% Refosco Dal Peduncolo Rosso. Deep red color with slight violet tint. A rich, complex, earthy wine. Mature, dark fruit aromas and flavors with a hint of spiciness. Characteristic minerality from the flysch Eocene soil. Grapes ferment with indigenous yeast. Wine is aged in wood barrels for a year then in bottles for three more years, leaving time for the wine to settle. An elegant version of this local variety. Pairs best with game, meat dishes, grilled meats or aged cheeses.
- Item #: i_302054Bottle Size: 750mlScarpetta is a winery owned and operated by Bobby Stuckey, M.S. and Chef Lachlan Patterson who are the owners and creators of Frasca Food and Wine in Boulder, Colorado. Frasca is a restaurant inspired by the culture and cuisine of Friuli Venezia-Giulia, Italy. We work with three of the best vineyards for Pinot Grigio in Friuli. The first vineyard is on the rolling banks of the Isonzo River, the second is in the hills of the Collio and the third is in the hills of the Collio Orientali del Friuli. Our grapes are planted in cooler sites resulting in a wine of balanced acidity and alcohol. The wine shows that Pinot Grigio can be light and dry with veins of minerality and floral aromatics.
Aromatics: Aromas of white flowers, stone fruits such as apricots and peach and hints of minerality.
Palate: On the palate, the wine is crisp and dry with medium high acidity and tastes of stone fruits, lavender, honey, pear, white flowers and minerals.
- Item #: i_301909Bottle Size: 750mlFriulano – Malvasia - Ribolla gialla
Vineyards planted between 1960 and 1988
Sweet, large, spicy with varietal characteristics; with hints of citrus, almond, walnut, exotic fruit and hints of white peach, sage and white pepper. Wine with a great structure, with good acidity and harmonious fruit and spice; the typical almond aftertaste and exotic fruit is very persistent.
- Item #: i_302711Bottle Size: 750mlPRACTICING ORGANIC
This is a classic Friulian Pinot Grigio made by allowing the juice and skins to macerate for 3 days, giving it a copper-blush hue. Then, 20% of the wine is aged in 1500 Liter barrels and 80% in stainless steel for a total of 8 months. Refreshing and mineral, it has subtle orange and stone fruit notes, with a moderately rich mouthfeel and finish due to that extended skin contact. A flexible food partner!
- Item #: i_373036Bottle Size: 750MLWINERY NOTES - "The natural copper-colored extracted with maceration is the signature of this wine and its richness with reminiscent of pear Williams, banana, and Acacia flowers wrapped in a slight scent of fresh apricot. Intriguing taste with pleasant flavors of pear syrup and quince peels. Good acid/alcohol balance with a long fruity finish"
- Item #: i_305348Bottle Size: 750mlPRACTICING ORGANIC
KERMIT LYNCH WINE MERCHANT - "Chioma in Italian means 'long hair' and 'canopy of tree leaves.' Though it is generally accepted that vines are trimmed of excess leaves or fruit to concentrate a vine’s efforts toward healthy bunches of grapes, Lorenzo and Federica let their vines find their own balance, choosing not to trim any of their vines. Suffice it to say that this is one of Duline’s many secrets to success. Malvasia Istriana is a form of the Malvasia grape that is native to the Istrian Peninsula, and it produces deliciously complex white wines that are a far cry from other Malvasia produced in central Italy. This is a seductive apéritif and an excellent seafood white."
Aged for 7-8 months: Half of it in 5-year old 11 hectoliter oak barrels, and half in 2.5 hectoliter barrels between 5 and 15-years old.
- Item #: i_302718Bottle Size: 750mlCERTIFIED ORGANIC
From the Colli Orienatli part of Friuli in Northeastern Italy, this Friulano was made by a 38 day maceration in amphorae followed by pressing and mellowing in amphorae for another 9 months. Bone dry and rich in body.
Delicate aromas and flavours of watercress, almond, country meadow and brie. Bouquet development over time adds a third complexing dimension of dried straw/hay and terpenes reminiscent of gracefully aged Rieslings. A sensory experience.