- Item #: i_301305Bottle Size: 750MLThe wine is ruby red in color with aromas of ripe red fruit and well amalgamated notes of vanilla and coffee. The palate enjoys a notable support from the acidity, which maintains a pleasurable freshness and persistence of flavor along with soft and sweet tannins which guarantee excellent drinkability.
- Item #: i_381401Bottle Size: 750mlMerlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Franc
This is a ripe and moderately rich coastal Tuscan red, with enough extract to give a little velvety texture and structure. Driven by fruit (like plum, black cherry, and blackberry macerated in spirits), dried herbs, and a touch of vanilla from the year in oak. The finish gives you some pleasantly ripe fruit skins. A good wine for drinking on its own or partnering with moderately rich dishes.
This estate has been bringing us incredible value since the 90's with the help of the late legendary winemaker of Ornellaia, Tibor Gal, who assisted them in the start of their own winery. The Pellegrini estates include vineyards in some of the most reputable spots in Bolgheri. The home to some of the most well-known Super Tuscans in the world including the highly regarded, Sassicaia. The one place where Bordeaux varietals take precedence over any native Italian grape.
The Pellegrini family have been grape growers for many generations and have sold their grapes to some of the Top Super Tuscan houses for many years. Their property, Casavecchia, is adjacent to the highly regarded Ornellaia and shares many attributes of its more famous neighbor. Somehow, even in this high rent district, Aia Vecchia has brought us an affordable interpretation of this fantastic Mediterranean climate location. This fantastic Super Tuscan is drinking exceptionally well right now!
- Item #: i_303990Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 94The Conterno family has been making wine since the 1700’s and Aldo Conterno is regarded as one of the greatest producers of Piedmont. As a young man, Aldo worked with his brother, Giovanni before striking out on his own in 1969. He developed a reputation as an innovator with a focus on quality and attention to detail and passed this dynamism on to his three sons who now run the business.
Aldo’s small property on the hill of Bussia in Monforte D’Alba has grown into a marvelous 25 hectare estate. The Aldo Conterno Barolo’s are intense and concentrated examples of perfectly ripened Nebbiolo grapes from superior terroirs, grown at a gentle altitude that allows for optimum finesse. The three top 'Crus' on the famed Bussia slope produce the three flagship Barolos of the estate.
Radiant and succulent red and blue fruits, new saddle leather, cigar wrapper, violet petals, baking spices and loam waft from the glass of this spellbinding ’13 Barolo Bussia. This wine shows impeccable balance, unfurling on the palate with energy and focus to reveal a seamless structure and silky texture.
While you’ll want to drink this wine right away, time in the cellar will make it more harmonious and refined. Once simply Aldo Conterno Barolo and now called Barolo Bussia, this entry-level Barolo from Aldo Conterno has garnered a reputation for being a generous, open, genial wine; it’s a perennial IWM client favorite. Deriving from 12 acres of plots in Bussia Soprano with vines aging between 35 and 40 years, the carefully selected grapes ferment for thirty days, and the wine ages for 27 months in cask, followed by twelve months in bottle before release.
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "A fragrant style, offering rose, cherry, earth, mineral and cumin aromas and flavors. Young and tense, yet shows fine potential, with complex flavors, good structure and a long aftertaste. Best from 2023 through 2040."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "It may be a so-called entry level Barolo, but the 2013 Barolo Bussia definitely delivers the goods. Fruit is sourced from three separate points within the larger Bussia cru. These sites are characterized by clay soils with southeast exposures and approximately 25-year-old vines. The quality of fruit is very intense and defined with dark cherry and dried blackberry. Yet the mouthfeel is ethereal, light and buoyant. Keeping in line with the vintage, the tannins are firm and slightly rigid. However, they are well absorbed by the exuberant nature of the fruit. The wine's personality is reminiscent of the Barolo Bussia Cicala."
- Item #: i_302567Bottle Size: 750mlWINERY NOTES - The grapes used to make “ Il Favot” come from vineyards which have undergone periodical implantations, and so have a maximum age of 15 years. The skin contact is limited to 6-8 days so to extract few tannins and more colour from the skins themselves, with the result of getting a well-coloured wine with a remarkable softness.
- Item #: i_301690Bottle Size: 750mlWhen sipping Aldo Conterno's Barbera one word that comes to mind is delicious. Inky purple in the glass and silky smooth on the palate, this wine is deeply tasty, very complex and thoroughly enjoyable. On the palate it is concentrated and full-bodied. Promiment flavours are blackberries, savoury spice and nutmeg blended with ripe plums and supple tannis. Long, elegant finish.
- Item #: i_301971Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96+Wine Enthusiast: 96 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 96+ POINTS - "Monvigliero in the Verduno township is quickly becoming one of the most celebrated and talked about crus in Barolo. The Fratelli Alessandria estate was among the first to understand its potential, and indeed, this wine was first released in 1978. Fast forward to today and you will find that the 2015 Barolo Monvigliero is an absolutely classic interpretation that stays faithful to past incarnations. The wine offers pretty berry aromas intermingled with spice, licorice and crushed stone. A floral aroma of red rose also appears. The tannins are solid and will require extra years of bottle aging."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 96 POINTS; CELLAR SELECTION[$90 list]- "From one of the most celebrated vineyards in the denomination, this opens with alluring aromas of rose, menthol, perfumed berry, pine forest and new leather. Structured and loaded with finesse, the compelling palate delivers juicy Marasca cherry, crushed raspberry, licorice and cinnamon along with crushed mint. Tightly knit, fine-grained tannins and fresh acidity provide ageworthy support and tension."
- Item #: i_345926Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Vinous Media: 93 PointsDecanter: 93 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "...one of Italy's most unique wines. This is a pure expression of the Corvina Veronese variety, the chief component of Amarone wines made according to the appassimento process. La Poja allows this finicky grape to sing solo with some 20 months in new barrique followed by eight months in the bottle. The results are outstanding with pristine cherry and blackberry followed by spice, leather and tar."
DECANTER 93 POINTS - "clove aroma, elegance over power due to the mild vintage which lacked excessive heat during maturation. This result is an intense, aromatic nose of cherry-liqueur, chocolate, along with a touch of Indian spice and sweet tobacco. Medium bodied with oaky tannins and refreshing acidity. Drinking Window 2018 - 2025."
On the top of the hill called La Grola lies a plateau of less than 3 hectares dazzling white in color, due to tis calcareous top soil, and planted exclusively with Corvina since the late 1970's. After more than four years of bottle aging, the 2012 La Poja shows extraordinarily vivacity with a full spectrum of fresh-picked fruit and baking spice characteristics with subtle herbal elements.
It take 2 vines to make 1 bottle of wine.
- Item #: i_302461Bottle Size: 750MLWine Enthusiast: 90 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 90 POINTS - "Forest floor, mature plum, menthol and exotic spice aromas lift out of the glass. On the smooth, savory palate, fine-grained tannins wrap around dried cherry, prune and star anise. "
The Allegrini estate is based in the Valpolicella region of Italy and represents the highest expression of Valpolicella wines. Gambero Rosso, Italy's most important food and wine publication, rated Allegrini a Star winery with over ten Tre Bicchieri ("Three Glasses"-- their top recognition) awards. Palazzo Della Torre is a “Cru” wine coming from a single vineyard. The blend of 70% Corvina, 25% Rondinella and 5% Sangiovese takes two different paths. Thirty percent of the grapes are left to dry on racks till December, in true Amarone style, and the other seventy percent vinified immediately.
The fresh wine is blended with the juice from the dried grapes for a second fermentation and the end result is an absolute sexy wine, deep in ruby red color, with flavors of blackberries and mocha.
- Item #: i_303352Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95James Suckling: 95We've got so many great Brunellos from the warm and sunny 2015 vintage that it's hard to pick which to highlight next! We certainly must bring up Altesino for its modern classics that show the finest qualities of which Sangiovese is capable: expressive, complex aromas and a scintillating structure that is vibrant and finely etched.
Originally founded in 1970, Altesino was among the handful of wineries to join in the Brunello di Montalcino revolution that has led to some of greatest wines in the world today. The estate was purchased in 2002 for no small amount by Elisabetta Gnudi Angelini, owner of another well-known Montalcino winery, Caparzo. Fortunately, she did not seek to change the house style, but rather to give the winemaking team the tools to improve quality (job well done).
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The Altesino 2015 Brunello di Montalcino shows beautiful depth and latitude, with broad fruit aromas of dark cherry and cassis that recall the warmth and golden sunlight of the vintage. The wine is deceivingly streamlined in terms of mouthfeel, but that slim and buttoned-down backbone supports a broad range of flavors and sensations, from lavender essence and camphor ash to moist soil and toasted spice. All of these elements are delivered with impressive harmony and unity, and I expect that this wine will continue on a slow, steady and satisfying aging trajectory over the next 10 years or more. Fruit is sourced from across 21 hectares of vines with tufaceous limestone soils and Alberese rock, which contributes to the freshness and balanced structure of the wine. The wine was bottled in June 2019 (with 150,000 bottles made), and this wine was released in January 2020."
JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "Terracotta, earth, iron filings, cedar and leather make for an undergrowth-driven Brunello 2015, which doesn’t fall short in the fruit department either, where there are red plums and red cherries. The tannins are neatly stacked, one on top of the other, with tidy acidity drawing in vibrant fruit and keeping it taut throughout. Balanced and stylish. Drink from 2023."
- Item #: i_301289Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - Intense aromas and flavors of cherry, blueberry, graphite and spice mark this solid red. Dense without being overly tannic, with a balanced finish. Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.
- Item #: i_305984Bottle Size: 750mlThe Orvieto Classico Superiore "San Giovanni della Sala" in Castello della Sala Antinori is a fresh and balanced white Umbrian wine based on Grechetto, Procanico, Pinot Bianco and Viognier, aged for a short period in steel tanks. It expresses an elegant and delicate personality, with aromas of yellow peaches, pineapples and mixed flowers that flow into a balanced, savory and persistent mouthfeel.
- Item #: i_301022Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 94Vinous Media: 95 PointsJames Suckling: 96Decanter: 95 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "Badia a Passignano is one of the last vineyards to mature and one of the first to start, so it always has a very long growing cycle. The spring began with good weather with budbreak coming about ten days early, followed by a cool, early summer and a hot August. The Sangiovese-based 2016 Chianti Classico Gran Selezione Badia a Passignano shows some real ripeness on the close with more red and purple fruit rather than black fruit characteristics. This is a very traditional expression of the Tuscan grape and the least international of Marchesi Antinori's offerings. It's the kind of classic Sangiovese that belongs on the table next to a pappardelle with your favorite ragù."
JAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS - "This is a wonderful pure sangiovese with wet earth, mushrooms, pine and cedar with black cherries. Full body. Dense and layered with ripe tannins, yet there’s vivid and energetic acidity. It drives to the end and pulls you in. Top stuff. Drink or hold."
DECANTER 95 POINTS AND WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS
- Item #: i_303700Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95+James Suckling: 95WINE ADVOCATE 95+ POINTS - "This is a terrific wine and one of the new releases from Montalcino that I happily include on a short list of top recommendations. The Argiano 2015 Brunello di Montalcino shows a very lively bouquet that is already singing despite the young age of this new release. The wine opens to a dark ruby color with garnet highlights. The bouquet shows a large span of wild berry, earth, licorice spice and medicinal herb aromas. This vintage also reveals a pretty floral character with dried rose potpourri and lavender buds. After fermentation, the wine is aged slowly for 30 months in large oak botte (including 10-, 30- and 50-hectoliter capacity), thus restricting oxygen and gently slowing its evolution. However, the 2015 vintage is naturally expressive and exuberant, and that's the main takeaway here."
JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "Very floral on the nose with plums, rose petals and freshly sliced porcini mushrooms. The palate is tight and compressed with beautiful ripe fruit, wet earth and cool, stone flavors. A structured and impressive wine."
- Item #: i_302116Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 93Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, & Syrah
JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "A savory, spicy red with dark berries and chocolate and a hint of vanilla on the palate. Medium to full body, very chewy tannins and a flavorful finish. Drink from 2021."
NC is a wine with a decisive, full-bodied character, smooth tannins and a persistent finish. This blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Syrah andSangiovese reveals an exciting potency, with the innate gentleness of Merlot creating a bridge between the evident earthiness of Sangiovese, the aromatic blackcurrant flavour of Cabernet and the warm red berries of Syrah. The result is a generous, rounded red wine, destined for short to medium ageing, with delicious aromas of currants and generous fruit flavours, versatile enough to develop in greater depth during long months in the bottle.
- Item #: i_301951Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 90Grechetto is one of the Umbria region's finest varieties. This entry-level version is medium-light in body, with moderate intensity of aromas and flavors.
WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "Clean-cut acidity defines this lightly fleshy, light- to medium-bodied white, which laces ripe Asian pear and melon fruit flavors with hints of elderflower, spice and pink grapefruit pith, creating a pleasingly bitter chime on the finish."
- Item #: i_302580Bottle Size: 750MLArgiolas has long been the quality leader on the previously overlooked island of Sardegna (Sardinia). The island's Cannonau based wines have become sought after since a daytime TV host suggested that perhaps drinking Cannonau contributed to the islanders' longevity. We make no such health claims but we do enjoy the flavors of Cannonau which turns out to be Grenache (Garnacha). Argiolas Costera is composed of 90% Cannonau, 5% Bovale Sardo and 5% Carignano (Carignan) grown on the calcareous soils of the Costera vineyard.
- Item #: i_302229Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93James Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "Welcome to the black hole of Umbrian red wine where you get to experience a new level of tannic density, but this is also married to extraordinary ripeness. For all this, a surprisingly clean and elegant finish. Very savory. Drink or hold."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "This wine was not produced in the 2014 vintage, and fruit from that year went into the entry-level Montefalco Rosso instead. However, the 2015 Montefalco Rosso Riserva is a generous and radiant wine that offers accessible tones of black fruit, cherry and savory spice. The blend sees a large element of Sangiovese, and that grape shines bright in this wine, thanks to its elegant tones of wild berry, rose and pressed violet."
- Item #: i_302219Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 93ORGANICALLY FARMED
WINE SPECTATOR INSIDER 93 POINTS - "A ripe style, this sports cherry, raspberry, violet and mineral aromas and flavors, matched to a tensile structure, revealing fine balance and length. Best from 2021 through 2033."
WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "The 2016 Chianti Classico is a terrific wine and perhaps the best vintage made thus far. The wine opens to a medium dark appearance with pretty layers of wild cherry, redcurrant and mild spice. Badia a Coltibuono always does a great job of expressing the cool and somewhat wild nature of Gaiole in Chianti. This is a blend of 90% Sangiovese with 10% Canaiolo and Ciliegiolo. Some 128,000 bottles were made, and this is great news for all you value-wine consumers out there."
This wine, with ICEA organic certification from 2003, is the result of absolutely natural production methods using hand-picked organically grown Sangiovese and Canaiolo grapes from our vineyards at Badia a Coltibuono.
WINE MAKER NOTES: "The color is bright ruby, the nose unveils layers of iris, violet, tobacco, black pepper and marasca cherry. The taste is well balanced, tightly knit with supple tannins, mineral notes, a mouth cleansing fresh acidity. Warm and persistent. Pair with first courses such as pasta, meat dishes and moderately aged cheeses."
Badia a Coltibuono is about one thousand years old but its prehistory takes us back to Estrucan times and beyond. As we know it today, Badia a Coltibuono (which means Abbey of the Good Harvest), dates from the middle of the eleventh century. Forest berries, spices, leather, moist earth and dried plum, layered in the aroma. Soft, round taste, well-balanced acidity and clean and persistent aftertaste. Very pleasing, and ready to drink. Coltibuono remains one of the most beloved estates in the Chianti zone. Over the past few years their wines have gained a high level of finesse and quality.
- Item #: i_305605Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93ORGANICALLY FARMED
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Showing beautiful results in an excellent vintage, the 2016 Chianti Classico Riserva is a graceful and elegantly tempered red wine. It makes good on all the basic promises of traditional Sangiovese: the complexity and elegance of the grape and that fresh acidity. It opens to a mid-weight style, making this a perfect wine for roast chicken and roast potatoes. Pretty mineral notes appear on the close, and the tannin is beautifully integrated."