- Item #: i_301357Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 92 PointsWine Enthusiast: 90 PointsPRACTICING ORGANIC
WINE ENTHUSIAST 90 POINTS - "Made with organically grown Sangiovese, this boasts earthy aromas of black-skinned berry, underbrush and leather. The savory palate delivers Marasca cherry, cinnamon and white pepper alongside polished tannins and vibrant acidity. "
KERMIT LYNCH WINE MERCHANT - "Thick and saucy, it echoes the flavors of herbs and stewed tomatoes with which you’d coat a serving of hot pappardelle. With balance, grip, and rustic, earthy nuances, this is the real deal, straight from the Tuscan countryside."
- Item #: i_305803Bottle Size: 1.5LWINERY NOTES - "When Ivan Giovanett and Massimiliano La Rosa, they wanted to produce a mineral nordic wine that comes from the combined work of two strong characters from the wine world, seeking a perfect balance. “Tecum” (lat. With you) follows the natural cycle of the vine and the wine itself: it awaits the following year on noble lees, where it remains for 15 months. The result is a natural stability over time and a complexity in terms of nose, which is enhanced by a long period of refinement in steel, to which a small part, refined in barriques, is added."
- Item #: i_305322Bottle Size: 750mlRich with fruit- ripe cherries, strawberries, red currants, black currants, and almonds, Notes of vinous character- nettles and forrest floor. Rich tannins and structure yet medium to light in body.
Pairing: Traditionally best with Speck! Salumi, cheeses, grilled salmon, pastas and light appetizers.
Stainless steel with some malolactic fermentation.
- Item #: i_305459Bottle Size: 750mlThe Castell’in Villa Chianti Classico Riserva is made of Sangiovese grapes entirely from our best vineyards. The wine is blended and aged in oaks for 2-3 years. The wine ages very well and good vintages should be at their peak at an age of 6-15 years. The Castell’in Villa Chianti Classico Riserva is concentrated well tannined and with an elegant fragrance for the eye and nose. The taste is complex, showing ripe fruit, black cherries and some deep earthy spicy tones.
- Item #: i_302643Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 95+WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "The 2013 I Sodi di S. Niccolò is 85% Sangioveto (a more antique name for Sangiovese) and 15% Malvasia Nera from a single vineyard. This wine opens to a darkly saturated appearance and shows ruby, garnet and purple highlights. The bouquet is powerful but seamless at the same time with smooth transitions between dark cherry, spice, tobacco and moist clay. In the mouth, this wine shows dense extraction, but it never feels too weighed down by that mass. Instead, the freshness of the fruit and the natural acidity give the wine a bright and buoyant personality. Aged in barrique for 30 months, this is a delightful Tuscan red."
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 95+ POINTS - "The flagship 2013 I Sodi di San Niccolò is classy and polished to the core. In many vintages, the I Sodi di San Niccolò can be more overt and extroverted, but in 2003 it is a wine of cool sophistication and polish. A rush of dark red and purplish-hued stone fruits, wild flowers, mint and licorice rounds out things out. The 2013 is a stylish, captivating Sodi. All it needs is time in bottle. For my money, Sodi remains one of the world's most pedigreed under-the-radar wines."
- Item #: i_301495Bottle Size: 750mlThis Chianti Classico shows well-integrated aromas of tart red cherries, tobacco, sunbaked earth, and a hint of cedar spice. On the palate, firm structure and refreshing acidity make it a very versatile food wine. Grapes are fermented with ambient yeasts partially in stainless steel and in barrel. The wine is then put in cement for up to eight months to rest and lock in its fruity freshness. This is a successful expression with an easy but very clean and lean approach.
Pair this wine with lasagna, ragù sauces, roasted rabbit, or braised veal shank.
- Item #: i_305130Bottle Size: 750ml- "A wine of pure femininity and grace, the 2011 Chianti Classico Gran Selezione Vigneto La Casuccia is wonderfully fleshy and radiant in the glass. Rose petal, sweet red cherry, tobacco, mint and spices meld together as this effortless, supple wine shows off its undeniably appealing personality. Sweet, silky tannins wrap around a super-expressive finish laced with knock-out aromatics. The 2011 is firing on all cylinders today."
The La Casuccia vineyard comprises 12.58 hectares, of which some 6 were planted in 1978; the remainder was planted in 2007 at a density of 5,300 vines per hectare. The elevation ranges from 480 metres to 526 for the vines at Adine. Soils are fairly consistent throughout, predominantly calcareous clay. The vines are vertically-trained to the single Guyot system in 8.04 hectares and to the open lyre in 4.54. The vineyard is sub-divided into 17 parcels, all planted to the traditional varieties authorised by the production code. One parcel is planted to Merlot; its wine is produced only in exceptional growing years, and in very limited quantities. The first vintage was bottled in 1985.
Deep, very luminous ruby red. Multi-layered, full-volumed nose of fruit, ranging through wild cherry, tobacco leaf, black liquorice, and mint. Equally superb richness and elegance in the mouth, excelling in depth and balance of all components, including the tannins.
- Item #: i_305125Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI 95+ POINTS - 'Ama's 2011 Chianti Classico Gran Selezione Vigneto Bellavista shows the darker, more brooding style of Sangiovese at Ama. Graphite, smoke, tar, licorice, incense and cloves wrap around a core of dark fruit. A wine of gravitas and vertical structure, the 2011 will reward several decades of cellaring. This is an unusually stern wine for the vintage though. Readers will have to be patient to experience the Bellavista at its best. Still, I can't help notice how much the 2011 has grown in bottle over the last year."
The Bellavista vineyard comprises 22.82 hectares, planted part in 1974 and 1978 (ca. 9.31 hectares), while the remaining 13.51 hectares were planted between 2006 and 2008; the elevation varies from 530 metres, in the area known as Bellaria, and 456 metres, for Campinuovi. The soils are predominantly clay, with abundant pebble-gravel component. 16.34 hectares are vertically-trained to the single Guyot system, and the remaining 6.48 hectares are trained to the open lyre configuration. The first release of this much-prized selection was in 1978; it is produced only in the finest growing years, in very limited quantity.
A purple-shot, deep red ruby. An emphatic spice is the first to make itself felt, classic to the Bellavista vineyard, but superbly married with well-ripened wild cherry, redcurrant, black liquorice, mint, and tobacco leaf. Powerful and masculine in its expression, the contribution of its considerable extraction. Its harmony of components and sheer elegance make this wine an extraordinary example of a Super Chianti Classico.
- Item #: i_305945Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 96WINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS - "Very tightly wound, with a dense bed of tannins providing support for the black currant, black cherry, wild herb, mineral and earth flavors. Ripe yet lively, showing fine intensity on the fruit-, mineral- and tar-filled aftertaste. Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Merlot. Best from 2022 through 2040. 2,500 cases made."
70% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Merlot, 15% Cabernet Franc
- Item #: i_301250Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94James Suckling: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Though tightly packed and supported by a dense matrix of tannins, this offers appealing purity of the black currant and blackberry fruit. Concentrated yet lively, with a lingering aftertaste of fruit, spice and mineral. Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. Best from 2021 through 2035."
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "This sophisticated, Bolgheri red has dense aromas of black and blue fruit that easily dominate the fine, toasty and bitter-chocolate oak character. Fleshy, but not a jot too ripe, the silky tannins give the long finish a lot of appeal. Drink or hold."
- Item #: i_305372Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 95James Suckling: 98THREE GLASSES, GAMBERO ROSSO - "The 2015 Siepi, a blend of Sangiovese and Merlot, has solidly assumed the role of Castellina in Chianti's flagship. It's out a year earlier than usual, but its strong points remain its vibrant, polished aromas and soft, generous, nuanced flavor."
JAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS - "Beautiful aromas of violets, berries and currants. Dried flowers, too. Full body, such intense fruit and acidity. Vivid and complex. Wild raspberry. Tight and dense. A triumph for Siepi. Half sangivoese and merlot."
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS AND HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - "This has depth and complexity, featuring black cherry, plum, leather, spice and mineral flavors. The dense texture exudes refined tannins as this stays fresh through the long, saturated finish. Fruit, spice and tobacco elements linger. Sangiovese and Merlot. 2,500 cases made
- Item #: i_305705Bottle Size: 750mlCastello di Fonterutoli, one of Italy's most prestigious wine producers, is situated on a historic property embracing an entire tranquil, centuries-old hamlet just south of Castellina in Chianti. The estate has been in the hands of the Mazzei family since 1435 and is today led by Lapo Mazzei and his sons, Francesco and Filippo. Grapes are hand-harvested and then fermented in temperature-controlled stainless steel tanks at 75-84°F. The total maceration period is 12-15 days. The wine is aged in a combination of French and American oak barrels for 10 months.Intense aromas of red berries and cocoa. On the palate it is soft and smooth with flavors of wild blackberries and raspberries; well balanced, with great depth and a long finish.
- Item #: i_305886Bottle Size: 750mlWINEMAKER NOTES - "Broad and savory aroma of fruits and spices: pepper, preserved fruits, cherries, time, geranium, violet. On the palate, the wine shows freshness and fine tannins, and a long finish."
The vineard Massara come bought in 1910 from knight G.B. Burlotto directly from Savoia home. The vineard, in one of the zone high vinegrowning vocation of Verduno, is locate at 265 m.s.l.m. ona surface of 1.22 hectars all growns at Nebbiolo. The land made of white lands with main composition of calcareous-clay, the happy esposition at East-Sud-East and a scrupolous selection of grapes allow to get a wine to amaze for longevity and power.
- Item #: i_305374Bottle Size: 750mlCastello di Verduno is an historic Piemontese estate that makes classic Barolo and Barbaresco from prime vineyard sites in both appellations. The winery is located in Verduno, the northernmost commune of Barolo.
The winery’s philosophy is to produce wines that speak of place in a classic way and are also sustainable and protect the land. As such, they practice organic farming and are meticulous both in the vineyard and in the cellar. Mario uses minimal SO2 and also vinifies with indigenous yeast. Their wines are firmly traditional in style though never rustic. In fact, just the opposite, they retain and a rare elegance and purity.
- Item #: i_305887Bottle Size: 750mlThe 2016 Castello di Verduno Barbaresco is made from 100% Nebbiolo grapes grown in the crus of Rabaja and Faset in a unique soil type known locally as marne di Sant'agata, a mix of clay, sand and limestone. The wine pours a beautiful light ruby with a tawny-orange rim. On the nose, aromas of cherries, raspberries and red flowers leap from the glass. With time, more complexity emerges on the nose with notes of sandalwood and a rocky minerality. On the palate, this Barbaresco is full bodied with ripe, mouth-coating tannins and a fresh, integrated acidity. Flavors of tilled earth, potpourri and blood orange citrus fill the mouth along with the primary cherry and berry fruit, making for an incredibly complex mix of flavors. The finish is long and concentrated, with great depth and balance. A fabulous Barbaresco to enjoy tonight with a grilled steak served with polenta, or to age for another 10+ years!
- Item #: i_303021Bottle Size: 750mlPelaverga is a grape native to Verduno in Piedmont, and is famous for its spicy aromas. Light and bright, perfect for serving cool (cellar temperature).
WINERY NOTES - "Intense fragrant nose, showing clear spicy overtones of black pepper and nutmeg, as well as fruity sensations reminiscent of cherry cordial and strawberries."
- Item #: i_303648Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95James Suckling: 96Coltassala is named after the homonymous vineyard where they grow indigenous clones of Sangiovese. Coltassala has been affirmed by the international press as the archetype of the Chianti Classico.
It wasn't until 1994 that the government recognized the high quality of Super-Tuscans and gave the wine it's own category – IGT (Indicazione Geografica Tipica). Volpaia first released Coltassala in 1980 as a Super-Tuscan. The Chianti Classico appellation followed suit, closing the quality gap between Chianti Classico and Super-Tuscans. Now Coltassala is a Chianti Classico Gran Selezione Cru even though it's the same Super-Tuscan wine of 1980. This bottling is 95% Sangiovese and 5% Mammolo.
Gran Selezione is a new classification above Riserva, made using grapes harvested only from the winery's own estate vineyards, with upgraded requirements for alcohol, extract and aging. The new category was approved by the European Commission in early February 2014.
And "super" this wine is. The nose is warm and inviting with bright red berry fruits (cherry, raspberry) enveloped by cinnamon and allspice notes and an overall concentrated fruit leather aspect. In the mouth, this is a big Chianti loaded with tannic and acidic structure which is balanced out by bright red and dark fruits (blackberry, mixed red berries), hints of cherry cola, cedar, cherry tobacco and black tea. Muscular, graceful, harmonious. Pair with roasted meat, hard cheeses, cured sausages.
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "This wine has now been upgraded from Riserva to Gran Selezione status. The 2015 Chianti Classico Gran Selezione Coltassala is a beautifully enriched wine that bursts open with a satisfying display of bold fruit, ripe blackberry, tobacco, spice and tar. There is ample muscle and brawn, but the wine shows impressive balance thanks to its soft textural richness and full-bodied approach. The blend is 95% Sangiovese and 5% Mammolo. This is a real beauty that pairs a hot vintage with one of the coolest, high-altitude subzones (Radda in Chianti) in this celebrated appellation. I'm sure this is the best wines I have ever tasted from Castello di Volpaia."
JAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS - "A decadent nose of vanilla, brambleberries, resin, coffee beans, tobacco and hot stones with a touch of citrus and other fresher elements. Full-bodied and very intense on the palate, but the ripe tannins also show plenty of firmness. The bright acidity carries this through to a delightfully long finish. From organically grown grapes."
- Item #: i_305682Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 92Decanter: 91 PointsEU CERTIFIED ORGANIC
DECANTER 91 POINTS - "Purchased as a hunting retreat by Raffaello Stianti in 1966, Castello di Volpaia encompasses an 11th century fortified village in Radda-in-Chianti. Today the estate includes 43ha of vineyards reaching up to 600 metres. For this wine, Merlot is included to make it more approachable, but it still has the potential to age. Red berries and earth notes reveal themselves slowly, with perfumed violet nuances showing up on the palate. Firm but refined tannins hold it all together, and the finish lingers with appetising minerality."
GAMBERO ROSSO GUIDE - TRE BICCHIERE (3 GLASSES)
JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS
- Item #: i_303904Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 93 PointsDECANTER 93 POINTS - "A selection of bunches from Volpaia’s best sites among their 43ha at lofty heights in Radda-in-Chianti. The estate waited until 3 October to start picking in order to bring the grapes in at full ripeness. Distinctly peppery red fruits mark the nose, with rosehip, celery and anise backing them up. The palate is focussed and bright with brisk acidity, though the tannins need time to unwind. Nice tension here."
- Item #: i_305652Bottle Size: 750mlWhile winemaking at Castiglion del Bosco has been a craft for centuries, until fairly recently the vineyards were cultivated solely for personal consumption by each family living on the Estate. Today, Castiglion del Bosco wines are consistently recognized for their excellence. As one of the founding members of the Consorzio del Vino Brunello di Montalcino, the organization that regulates and controls the quality of Brunello production, Castiglion del Bosco introduced the world to its exemplary vintages through the emergence of a commercial operation in the late 1950s. In 2004, acclaimed international Wine Master Nicolo D’Afflitto took command of winemaking at Castiglion del Bosco, along with locally trained enologist Cecilia Leoneschi. Under their careful direction, the Estate is yielding more modern Brunellos that are attracting critical acclaim. The fundamental goal of winemaking at Castiglion del Bosco is to remain faithful to the land and the characteristics of the grapes.Pleasant and modern wine, characterized by a fresh and well-rounded Sangiovese. Intense varietal aromas are the result of a combination of tradition and modern techniques in the cellar.