- Item #: i_303331Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 93Capichera is a small winery on the island of Sardinia, Italy. It is here that the Vermentino grapes acquire the valuable features that help to make the Vermentino Capichera the excellent white wine that makes its producers so proud to baptize this bottle with the same name of the winery. This white wine with golden reflections, has really bewitched us using the deep complexity that will astonish the palate. A unique Vermentino, fragrant, charismatic, without ever being a banal wine. The Vermentino Capichera recounts a story that is beautiful to listen to. It is the story of a landscape and of his rich and generous land, about its elegant synergy with the grape.
AROMA Floral, rich and complex, hawthorn, wild flowers, rosemary, lavender, wisteria, thyme, pineapple and flint
TASTE Full and rich, fruity and aromatic, with rich mineral flavor and elegance, long and lingering finish.
JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "This shows wonderful richness with dried mango peel, apple compote, dried orange blossom and lemon curd. Full body, layers of tropical fruit and an oily, spicy finish that’s drawn in nicely by some bright acidity."
- Item #: i_302935Bottle Size: 750mlAlthough Nino Caravaglio “officially” founded his cantina in 1992, his family has cultivated vines and other crops on the island since the 16th century. His vineyards have been certified organic almost since the winery’s creation, with 37 acres on Salina. The island’s arid climate and cleansing breezes make Caravaglio’s commitment to natural farming that much easier; mold and disease resistance are not big issues here, and the exceedingly good health and cleanliness of the fruit enables Caravaglio to keep added sulfur to the barest minimum.
This bottling, aptly named “Infatata” (“enchanted”), includes an image on its label of a single, triangle-shaped vineyard, called ‘Tricoli,’ which climbs up the side of an ancient volcano. The grapes from this site are hand-harvested and sorted in the vineyard, then fermented on indigenous yeasts in stainless steel tanks. It spends just three months resting in tank before bottling, and here we are—a bright, floral, saline white that hints at both Spanish Albariño and French Muscadet but adds an extra layer of intrigue. Malvasia Bianca has a more floral, tropical aromatic profile and a slightly waxy texture reminiscent of some northern Rhône whites, and this Salina-grown interpretation brings all of that to the table along with a pronounced sea-air salinity. In the glass, it’s a deep yellow-gold, with aromas of orange blossom, acacia honey, white peach, preserved lemon, green herbs, and caper brine.
- Item #: i_381856Bottle Size: 750mlFerrini as a consulting enologist for some of the greatest wineries in Italy. One of her crowning achievements has been working with Casanova di Neri when they received a 100 point score from Wine Spectator for the 2001 Brunello Cerretalto. As she continues her consulting business, she also runs her own family winery, Carpineta Fontalpino, along with her brother Filippo producing some of the best Chianti Classico and Super Tuscan wines from her own estate grown fruit.
- Item #: i_303344Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "This is another fabulous wine from Giacomo Neri. The 2011 Brunello di Montalcino Tenuta Nuova is a deeply layered expression with bold tones of dark fruit that are softened and enhanced by spice, leather, tobacco and balsam herb. The wine is very beautiful and polished with slightly less depth and complexity compared the outstanding (100 point) vintage that precedes it. Despite the vintage variation, this is a wine of enormous pedigree and importance. It is generous and confident with a presentation that offers purity, intensity and persistence."
- Item #: i_305037Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "The 2012 Brunello di Montalcino Cerretalto offers a prolonged, flowing and carefully massaged drinking experience that drapes over the senses with some studied intensity and lots of intriguing complexity. This wine nails that perfect balance between power and elegance (that elusive exchange that so many winemakers hope to achieve) with effortless precision. Bold cherry fruit and spice are tightly woven together. In the mouth, the wine shows texture, depth and succulence. Generally speaking, this is not my favorite vintage in Montalcino, but this wine suddenly made me forget that thought."
- Item #: i_305454Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93+Wine Spectator: 93Casanova di Neri has most certainly had its share of accolades and praise with all the estate wines including the Brunello di Montalcino 'White Label', the newest project 'Tenuta Nuova' (literally translated new estate) and the small single vineyard of Cerretalto. Just to name a few, Last years 2012 'White Label' made #4 Top 100 Wine Spectator with 95 Points, the 2010 'Tenuta Nuova' received 100 points in Wine Advocate, and of course not forgetting the first time Giacomo Neri set off fireworks...the 2001 'Tenuta Nuova' making 2006 Wine Spectator Wine of the Year!
With the 2013 Classic Vintage that just arrived, we are excited to share with you another great showing of Casanova di Neri Brunello! And with the press of this vintage just ramping up, we suggest you get enough to put a few away! These wines are made to enjoy now and cellar for 25+ years.
WINE ADVOCATE 93+ POINTS - "It's that time of year: get your Neri on. This blockbuster Montalcino estate has released another fantastic collection of new wines, including the 2013 Brunello di Montalcino. Beautifully executed, the wine oozes forth from the glass with round, supple and velvety fruit. This Brunello Annata is luscious and deep, with millefoglie aromatic layering that peels back slowly and carefully. The mouthfeel is less elaborate compared to the estate's top expressions, but the bouquet does much to push this score into the low nineties. Some 80,000 bottles were produced."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "This is focused, with a vivid structure driving the cherry, leather, spice and earth flavors. Dusty tannins follow up, while this remains fresh on the lingering finish. Best from 2020 through 2033."
- Item #: i_303037Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 98WINE SPECTATOR 98 POINTS - "This intense version is concentrated, with black cherry, blackberry, graphite, tobacco and spice flavors, yet remains light-footed due to the racy profile. Structured, yet beautifully balanced and youthful. Shows purity and length on the aftertaste, which introduces a floral component. Best from 2022 through 2045. 814 cases made, 150 cases imported."
- Item #: i_381754Bottle Size: 750mlA beautiful, impeccably balanced wine. There is lovely transparency and elegance to the fruit in an expression of Sangiovese that offers gorgeous roundness in a mid-weight, elegant style. The finish is long, soft and caressing. Even better, this is an outstanding value!
- Item #: i_305560Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ENTHUSIAST - "Woodland berry, balsamic herb, tilled soil and eucalyptus aromas lead the nose along with a hint of coffee. The full-bodied palate offers black cherry, raspberry jam, licorice and vanilla alongside enveloping fine-grained tannins. A hint of sage marks the finish. Drink 2019–2025."
- Item #: i_301357Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 92Wine Enthusiast: 90 PointsPRACTICING ORGANIC
JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "A ripe and juicy red with hot stone, dried cherry and hints of berry undertones. Full and chewy yet soft and polished texture. A muscular and solid red. "
WINE ENTHUSIAST 90 POINTS - "Made with organically grown Sangiovese, this boasts earthy aromas of black-skinned berry, underbrush and leather. The savory palate delivers Marasca cherry, cinnamon and white pepper alongside polished tannins and vibrant acidity. "
KERMIT LYNCH WINE MERCHANT - "Thick and saucy, it echoes the flavors of herbs and stewed tomatoes with which you’d coat a serving of hot pappardelle. With balance, grip, and rustic, earthy nuances, this is the real deal, straight from the Tuscan countryside."
- Item #: i_305803Bottle Size: 1.5LWINERY NOTES - "When Ivan Giovanett and Massimiliano La Rosa, they wanted to produce a mineral nordic wine that comes from the combined work of two strong characters from the wine world, seeking a perfect balance. “Tecum” (lat. With you) follows the natural cycle of the vine and the wine itself: it awaits the following year on noble lees, where it remains for 15 months. The result is a natural stability over time and a complexity in terms of nose, which is enhanced by a long period of refinement in steel, to which a small part, refined in barriques, is added."
- Item #: i_305459Bottle Size: 750mlWINE & SPIRITS 93 POINTS - "This Riserva hits all the right notes, the dark and juicy fruit flavors tingling with dried herbs and subtle spices. The wine’s fine-grained tannins lend it a filigreed appeal, even as those flavors flesh out with notes of dried currant and tomato skin and a firm crushed-granite minerality. Delicious now." - Tasted Spring 2018 2018
The Castell’in Villa Chianti Classico Riserva is made of Sangiovese grapes entirely from our best vineyards. The wine is blended and aged in oaks for 2-3 years. The wine ages very well and good vintages should be at their peak at an age of 6-15 years. The Castell’in Villa Chianti Classico Riserva is concentrated well tannined and with an elegant fragrance for the eye and nose. The taste is complex, showing ripe fruit, black cherries and some deep earthy spicy tones.
- Item #: i_302643Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 95+WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "The 2013 I Sodi di S. Niccolò is 85% Sangioveto (a more antique name for Sangiovese) and 15% Malvasia Nera from a single vineyard. This wine opens to a darkly saturated appearance and shows ruby, garnet and purple highlights. The bouquet is powerful but seamless at the same time with smooth transitions between dark cherry, spice, tobacco and moist clay. In the mouth, this wine shows dense extraction, but it never feels too weighed down by that mass. Instead, the freshness of the fruit and the natural acidity give the wine a bright and buoyant personality. Aged in barrique for 30 months, this is a delightful Tuscan red."
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 95+ POINTS - "The flagship 2013 I Sodi di San Niccolò is classy and polished to the core. In many vintages, the I Sodi di San Niccolò can be more overt and extroverted, but in 2003 it is a wine of cool sophistication and polish. A rush of dark red and purplish-hued stone fruits, wild flowers, mint and licorice rounds out things out. The 2013 is a stylish, captivating Sodi. All it needs is time in bottle. For my money, Sodi remains one of the world's most pedigreed under-the-radar wines."
- Item #: i_301495Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94The Castellare estate is one of the best examples of tradition in the area. The winery’s owner, Paolo Panerai, has closely studied the world’s best wineries and applied this understanding and experience to viticulture in Italy.
The Castellare property, located in Tuscany’s Castellina in Chianti, has become a virtual refuge for wildlife, including many of the birds pictured on their labels. With each vintage, the Castellare label shows a different bird, symbolizing the estate’s commitment to environmentally sound cultivation. The birds selected for the labels are among the rarest creatures in Chianti, and represent birds threatened by extinction, mostly due to synthetic chemical products and hunting, both of which are forbidden on this property.
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "A beam of pure cherry and blackberry fruit defines this intense, racy red, which is firm and tensile, with fine balance and a lingering aftertaste of vibrant fruit, graphite and tobacco flavors. Sangioveto and Canaiolo. Drink now through 2033."
This Chianti Classico shows well-integrated aromas of tart red cherries, tobacco, sunbaked earth, and a hint of cedar spice. On the palate, firm structure and refreshing acidity make it a very versatile food wine. Grapes are fermented with ambient yeasts partially in stainless steel and in barrel. The wine is then put in cement for up to eight months to rest and lock in its fruity freshness. This is a successful expression with an easy but very clean and lean approach.
Pair this wine with lasagna, ragù sauces, roasted rabbit, or braised veal shank.
- Item #: i_305130Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "A wine of pure femininity and grace, the 2011 Chianti Classico Gran Selezione Vigneto La Casuccia is wonderfully fleshy and radiant in the glass. Rose petal, sweet red cherry, tobacco, mint and spices meld together as this effortless, supple wine shows off its undeniably appealing personality. Sweet, silky tannins wrap around a super-expressive finish laced with knock-out aromatics. The 2011 is firing on all cylinders today."
The La Casuccia vineyard comprises 12.58 hectares, of which some 6 were planted in 1978; the remainder was planted in 2007 at a density of 5,300 vines per hectare. The elevation ranges from 480 metres to 526 for the vines at Adine. Soils are fairly consistent throughout, predominantly calcareous clay. The vines are vertically-trained to the single Guyot system in 8.04 hectares and to the open lyre in 4.54. The vineyard is sub-divided into 17 parcels, all planted to the traditional varieties authorised by the production code. One parcel is planted to Merlot; its wine is produced only in exceptional growing years, and in very limited quantities. The first vintage was bottled in 1985.
Deep, very luminous ruby red. Multi-layered, full-volumed nose of fruit, ranging through wild cherry, tobacco leaf, black liquorice, and mint. Equally superb richness and elegance in the mouth, excelling in depth and balance of all components, including the tannins.
- Item #: i_305125Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI 95+ POINTS - 'Ama's 2011 Chianti Classico Gran Selezione Vigneto Bellavista shows the darker, more brooding style of Sangiovese at Ama. Graphite, smoke, tar, licorice, incense and cloves wrap around a core of dark fruit. A wine of gravitas and vertical structure, the 2011 will reward several decades of cellaring. This is an unusually stern wine for the vintage though. Readers will have to be patient to experience the Bellavista at its best. Still, I can't help notice how much the 2011 has grown in bottle over the last year."
The Bellavista vineyard comprises 22.82 hectares, planted part in 1974 and 1978 (ca. 9.31 hectares), while the remaining 13.51 hectares were planted between 2006 and 2008; the elevation varies from 530 metres, in the area known as Bellaria, and 456 metres, for Campinuovi. The soils are predominantly clay, with abundant pebble-gravel component. 16.34 hectares are vertically-trained to the single Guyot system, and the remaining 6.48 hectares are trained to the open lyre configuration. The first release of this much-prized selection was in 1978; it is produced only in the finest growing years, in very limited quantity.
A purple-shot, deep red ruby. An emphatic spice is the first to make itself felt, classic to the Bellavista vineyard, but superbly married with well-ripened wild cherry, redcurrant, black liquorice, mint, and tobacco leaf. Powerful and masculine in its expression, the contribution of its considerable extraction. Its harmony of components and sheer elegance make this wine an extraordinary example of a Super Chianti Classico.
- Item #: i_305945Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 96WINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS - "Very tightly wound, with a dense bed of tannins providing support for the black currant, black cherry, wild herb, mineral and earth flavors. Ripe yet lively, showing fine intensity on the fruit-, mineral- and tar-filled aftertaste. Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Merlot. Best from 2022 through 2040. 2,500 cases made."
70% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Merlot, 15% Cabernet Franc
- Item #: i_305705Bottle Size: 750mlCastello di Fonterutoli, one of Italy's most prestigious wine producers, is situated on a historic property embracing an entire tranquil, centuries-old hamlet just south of Castellina in Chianti. The estate has been in the hands of the Mazzei family since 1435 and is today led by Lapo Mazzei and his sons, Francesco and Filippo. Grapes are hand-harvested and then fermented in temperature-controlled stainless steel tanks at 75-84°F. The total maceration period is 12-15 days. The wine is aged in a combination of French and American oak barrels for 10 months.Intense aromas of red berries and cocoa. On the palate it is soft and smooth with flavors of wild blackberries and raspberries; well balanced, with great depth and a long finish.
- Item #: i_305888Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 94Vinous Media: 93WINE SPECTATOR INSIDER 94 POINTS - "Purity and intensity mark this supple, complex red, bursting with black cherry, black currant, plum, graphite, sanguine and tobacco notes that show an underlying woodsy accent. The well-integrated structure lends support as this plays out on the long finish. Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. Best from 2021 through 2035.—B.S."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Chianti Classico impresses for the heightened level of vibrant freshness and aromatic precision that distinguishes it in a large playing field. Proprietor Maurizia di Napoli tells me that the 2016 growing season was not without its ups and downs. Farming was difficult, and not all sites came to ripeness with the same consistency because it was cooler toward the end of the growing season. Castello dei Rampolla avoids the use of sulfites in winemaking. However, these results are stunning, especially as this is positioned as a more affordable wine. The blend is 85% Sangiovese, 12% Cabernet Sauvignon and 3% Merlot."
- Item #: i_305886Bottle Size: 750mlWINEMAKER NOTES - "Broad and savory aroma of fruits and spices: pepper, preserved fruits, cherries, time, geranium, violet. On the palate, the wine shows freshness and fine tannins, and a long finish."
The vineard Massara come bought in 1910 from knight G.B. Burlotto directly from Savoia home. The vineard, in one of the zone high vinegrowning vocation of Verduno, is locate at 265 m.s.l.m. ona surface of 1.22 hectars all growns at Nebbiolo. The land made of white lands with main composition of calcareous-clay, the happy esposition at East-Sud-East and a scrupolous selection of grapes allow to get a wine to amaze for longevity and power.
- Item #: i_305374Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 93 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 93 POINTS - "This fragrant red has classic varietal aromas of red berry, cake spice, new leather and a whiff of rose. The firmly structured, youthfully austere palate offers sour cherry, crushed strawberry and star anise. Tight knit fine-grained tannins and fresh acidity give it balance and an age-worthy structure. Drink after 2025."
Castello di Verduno is an historic Piemontese estate that makes classic Barolo and Barbaresco from prime vineyard sites in both appellations. The winery is located in Verduno, the northernmost commune of Barolo.
The winery’s philosophy is to produce wines that speak of place in a classic way and are also sustainable and protect the land. As such, they practice organic farming and are meticulous both in the vineyard and in the cellar. Mario uses minimal SO2 and also vinifies with indigenous yeast. Their wines are firmly traditional in style though never rustic. In fact, just the opposite, they retain and a rare elegance and purity.
- Item #: i_305887Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 95 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS - "New leather, menthol, red-skinned fruit and dark spice aromas form the nose along with enticing whiffs of vineyard dust. The linear, savory palate is still young but already boasts succulent red cherry, crushed raspberry, star anise and clove while taut, refined tannins and bright acidity provide finesse and freshness. Drink 2022–2036."
The 2016 Castello di Verduno Barbaresco is made from 100% Nebbiolo grapes grown in the crus of Rabaja and Faset in a unique soil type known locally as marne di Sant'agata, a mix of clay, sand and limestone. The wine pours a beautiful light ruby with a tawny-orange rim. On the nose, aromas of cherries, raspberries and red flowers leap from the glass. With time, more complexity emerges on the nose with notes of sandalwood and a rocky minerality. On the palate, this Barbaresco is full bodied with ripe, mouth-coating tannins and a fresh, integrated acidity. Flavors of tilled earth, potpourri and blood orange citrus fill the mouth along with the primary cherry and berry fruit, making for an incredibly complex mix of flavors. The finish is long and concentrated, with great depth and balance. A fabulous Barbaresco to enjoy tonight with a grilled steak served with polenta, or to age for another 10+ years!
- Item #: i_303021Bottle Size: 750mlPelaverga is a grape native to Verduno in Piedmont, and is famous for its spicy aromas. Light and bright, perfect for serving cool (cellar temperature).
WINERY NOTES - "Intense fragrant nose, showing clear spicy overtones of black pepper and nutmeg, as well as fruity sensations reminiscent of cherry cordial and strawberries."
- Item #: i_303648Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95James Suckling: 96Coltassala is named after the homonymous vineyard where they grow indigenous clones of Sangiovese. Coltassala has been affirmed by the international press as the archetype of the Chianti Classico.
It wasn't until 1994 that the government recognized the high quality of Super-Tuscans and gave the wine it's own category – IGT (Indicazione Geografica Tipica). Volpaia first released Coltassala in 1980 as a Super-Tuscan. The Chianti Classico appellation followed suit, closing the quality gap between Chianti Classico and Super-Tuscans. Now Coltassala is a Chianti Classico Gran Selezione Cru even though it's the same Super-Tuscan wine of 1980. This bottling is 95% Sangiovese and 5% Mammolo.
Gran Selezione is a new classification above Riserva, made using grapes harvested only from the winery's own estate vineyards, with upgraded requirements for alcohol, extract and aging. The new category was approved by the European Commission in early February 2014.
And "super" this wine is. The nose is warm and inviting with bright red berry fruits (cherry, raspberry) enveloped by cinnamon and allspice notes and an overall concentrated fruit leather aspect. In the mouth, this is a big Chianti loaded with tannic and acidic structure which is balanced out by bright red and dark fruits (blackberry, mixed red berries), hints of cherry cola, cedar, cherry tobacco and black tea. Muscular, graceful, harmonious. Pair with roasted meat, hard cheeses, cured sausages.
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "This wine has now been upgraded from Riserva to Gran Selezione status. The 2015 Chianti Classico Gran Selezione Coltassala is a beautifully enriched wine that bursts open with a satisfying display of bold fruit, ripe blackberry, tobacco, spice and tar. There is ample muscle and brawn, but the wine shows impressive balance thanks to its soft textural richness and full-bodied approach. The blend is 95% Sangiovese and 5% Mammolo. This is a real beauty that pairs a hot vintage with one of the coolest, high-altitude subzones (Radda in Chianti) in this celebrated appellation. I'm sure this is the best wines I have ever tasted from Castello di Volpaia."
JAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS - "A decadent nose of vanilla, brambleberries, resin, coffee beans, tobacco and hot stones with a touch of citrus and other fresher elements. Full-bodied and very intense on the palate, but the ripe tannins also show plenty of firmness. The bright acidity carries this through to a delightfully long finish. From organically grown grapes."