- Item #: i_303722Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97Wine Spectator: 95WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "This is packing some vanilla- and Bourbon-scented oak aromas, with a core of cherry, leather, tar, iron and tobacco flavors. It's solidly built, with dusty tannins clinging to the long finish. A powerful example, this should gain finesse as it ages. Best from 2022 through 2040.." 400 cases made
WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "The stunning 2013 Barolo Bussia Romirasco represents a stylistic blend between the elegance of Monforte d'Alba and the brooding power of Serralunga d'Alba. These are magnesium-rich soils mixed with limestone and clay. Romirasco is also home to some of the estate's oldest vines at 55-years-old on average. This beautiful wine opens to a dark and rich garnet color that comes from the concentrated fruit produced by these old plants. The bouquet is laced with mineral and iodine-like nuances with rust and iron. It comes across as rich and intense and the mouthfeel is slightly softer, but denser overall. The wine ends with long balsam tones of rosemary and dried ginger."
The Conterno family has been making wine since the 1700’s and Aldo Conterno is regarded as one of the greatest producers of Piedmont. As a young man, Aldo worked with his brother, Giovanni before striking out on his own in 1969. He developed a reputation as an innovator with a focus on quality and attention to detail and passed this dynamism on to his three sons who now run the business.
Aldo’s small property on the hill of Bussia in Monforte D’Alba has grown into a marvelous 25 hectare estate. The Aldo Conterno Barolo’s are intense and concentrated examples of perfectly ripened Nebbiolo grapes from superior terroirs, grown at a gentle altitude that allows for optimum finesse. The three top ‘Crus’ on the famed Bussia slope produce the three flagship Barolos of the estate.
- Item #: i_301893Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91PRACTICING ORGANIC
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "Here is a generous and jubilant expression of 100% Barbera. The 2015 Langhe Larigi opens to a dark and succulent inner core of black fruit, dried blackberry, crushed granite and smoky spice. This wine is refined in new oak to gain extra structure and more spicy flavors. The mouthfeel is thick but velvety. There is a note of sweetness on the finish. Only 2,500 bottles were produced."
- Item #: i_303352Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94+Wine Spectator: 95WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "An intense perfume of juniper, bay laurel, sage, rose and berries marks this silky red. The structure is there, yet superb balance and refined tannins help this retain elegance through the long finish. Almost ethereal in its presence."
WINE ADVOCATE 94+ POINTS - "The 2013 Brunello di Montalcino is absolutely unique in terms of its aromatic display. To me, the nose is particularly beautiful because I have a preference for balsamic notes of cola, mint or medicinal herb (that may not be to everyone's liking). You get those in spades here. These aromas are often more prominent in cooler vintages like 2013 in the Brunello appellation. In this case, they resemble intense eucalyptus. There is subtle fruit at the back, with wild berry and plum. The mouthfeel here is absolutely silky, fresh and streamlined. It is stitched finely together like lace. I am curious to see how a wine like this ages and whether the aromas hold tight or eventually fall flat. I would suggest a slightly shorter drinking window. But for now, this is my kind of Brunello. Bottoms up!"
- Item #: i_301564Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "Based in an authentic sense of territory, the 2013 Chianti Classico Riserva Villa Antinori is 90% Sangiovese and 10% Merlot - although Renzo Cotarella tells me that the goal is to soon make this wine 100% Sangiovese. The bouquet is generous and nicely concentrated with dark fruit nuances and succulent spice at the back. Delicate floral nuances of wild rose and violets are given ample room for expression. The mouthfeel is velvety and fine in texture. This is an excellent set of wines from Marchesi Antinori and the talented winemaking team based in Tuscany. I am particularly impressed by the two top wines - Tignanello and Solaia - from the 2013 vintage. Compared to 2011 and 2012, both these wines show a superior sense of harmony and intensity."
An intense ruby red color and features equally intense aromas of red fruit, raspberries and blueberries, followed by hints of oak and spices, particularly cloves. On the palate, the wine is vibrant and rooted in terrior of the area with supple tannins.
- Item #: i_303700Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 93James Suckling: 96Wine Enthusiast: 93 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS - "Fantastic aromas of orange peel and dark berry with plenty of plum and cherry. Sweet tobacco and mushrooms. Full body, juicy and fruity with firm tannins and a fresh finish. Complex and gorgeous. Fine and very long. Drink now."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2013 Brunello di Montalcino shows laser focus and a precise delivery of aromas that makes an immediate and satisfying first impression. This is a delicately assembled wine that shows the deft hand of the winemaking team behind the scenes. Bright fruit and cherry is connected, in a careful embroidery, to spice, leather, tar and cured tobacco. There are subtle tones of ash and crushed mineral as well."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 93 POINTS - "Chopped herbs, new leather, underbrush and a whiff of star anise lead the nose. The firmly structured, chewy palate delivers ripe blackberry, juicy Marasca cherry, licorice and a dollop of vanilla set against a backbone of firm, polished tannins. Drink 2021-2028."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "An elegant style, offering ripe cherry, plum, leather, almond and subtle chocolate flavors. Harmonious and long, with an aftertaste evoking cherry, iron and tobacco. Fine balance."
- Item #: i_305890Bottle Size: EACHWine Advocate: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2010 Barolo Cannubi delivers the goods, showing an elegant but powerful side of the vintage. The wine is immaculate in terms of its varietal purity with bright tones of white cherry, licorice, pressed blue flowers, dried ginger and tar that rise steadily from the bouquet. There is good intensity here, yet the wine is decidedly feminine and graceful in personality. A point of sour cherry appears on the long and delicious finish."
- Item #: i_302191Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 93James Suckling: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS , VINOUS 93 POINTS, JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS, WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS
"The 2014 Ilatraia is a terrific wine that represents a blend of 40% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Petit Verdot and 20% Cabernet Franc. This is a darkly saturated and rich Tuscan blend that delivers so much pleasure on all levels. There is softness, intensity, complexity and length. This is a stunning wine with excellent engineering and execution. This is definitely a wine I will remember."
- Item #: i_301795Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 99JAMES SUCKLING 99 POINTS - "Incredible aromas of violets, roses and blue fruits. So perfumed. Never smelled a wine like this before. Full body, perfectly integrated tannins and bright, vivid acidity. Extremely long and endless. A seamless and great one. An evocative wine that makes you think. Needs three to five years of bottle age on release. Unique red."
- Item #: i_302477Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93+James Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "A wealth of fruit yet remains fresh and vivid with blueberry and black cherry character. Some bark and dried earth. Full body, integrated tannins and a flavorful finish. Better than 2012. Drink or hold."
WINE ADVOCATE 93+ POINTS - "The 2013 Brunello di Montalcino exhibits impressive balance and integrity. It contrasts the delicate sweetness of the fruit very nicely against the more ethereal and licorice-like aromas that come so naturally to Sangiovese grown in the spectacular Montalcino appellation. This is a fine wine from Camigliano, an estate that absolutely excels in classic and slightly cooler vintages like 2013. The winemaking is also impeccable, with balanced intensity and integrated tannins. There is a playful note of cherry sweetness on the close that I very much identify with the distinctive Camigliano wine identity. Some 150,000 bottles were produced. Congratulations on a wine well made."
- Item #: i_303322Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 95WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - - "Loads of balsamic aromas and flavors--juniper, rosemary, thyme, olive--along with cherry, sanguine and tobacco notes are the hallmarks of this intense red. Well-integrated and complex, building to a long aftertaste. Best from 2021 through 2035. 3,400 cases made."
WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "Canalicchio di Sopra is high on my shortlist of favorite producers in Montalcino. The 2012 Brunello di Montalcino is a sumptuous wine made according to carefully considered criteria. Every step of the winemaking process represents a selection of sorts, culminating in an expression of extremes. The precision, the focus and the pristine nature of the aromas cannot be exaggerated. It is such a pleasure to taste a wine of this caliber and distinction. Aromas of dark fruit and savory spice find seamless integration. Background tones of balsam herb, cola and licorice add a superior level of complexity. In the mouth, the wine is polished, fine and silky. The mouthfeel is thinner compared to 2011 and 2010. Otherwise, this is a fabulously elegant Brunello."
- Item #: i_305037Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "The 2012 Brunello di Montalcino Cerretalto offers a prolonged, flowing and carefully massaged drinking experience that drapes over the senses with some studied intensity and lots of intriguing complexity. This wine nails that perfect balance between power and elegance (that elusive exchange that so many winemakers hope to achieve) with effortless precision. Bold cherry fruit and spice are tightly woven together. In the mouth, the wine shows texture, depth and succulence. Generally speaking, this is not my favorite vintage in Montalcino, but this wine suddenly made me forget that thought."
- Item #: i_305454Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93+Wine Spectator: 93Casanova di Neri has most certainly had its share of accolades and praise with all the estate wines including the Brunello di Montalcino 'White Label', the newest project 'Tenuta Nuova' (literally translated new estate) and the small single vineyard of Cerretalto. Just to name a few, Last years 2012 'White Label' made #4 Top 100 Wine Spectator with 95 Points, the 2010 'Tenuta Nuova' received 100 points in Wine Advocate, and of course not forgetting the first time Giacomo Neri set off fireworks...the 2001 'Tenuta Nuova' making 2006 Wine Spectator Wine of the Year!
With the 2013 Classic Vintage that just arrived, we are excited to share with you another great showing of Casanova di Neri Brunello! And with the press of this vintage just ramping up, we suggest you get enough to put a few away! These wines are made to enjoy now and cellar for 25+ years.
WINE ADVOCATE 93+ POINTS - "It's that time of year: get your Neri on. This blockbuster Montalcino estate has released another fantastic collection of new wines, including the 2013 Brunello di Montalcino. Beautifully executed, the wine oozes forth from the glass with round, supple and velvety fruit. This Brunello Annata is luscious and deep, with millefoglie aromatic layering that peels back slowly and carefully. The mouthfeel is less elaborate compared to the estate's top expressions, but the bouquet does much to push this score into the low nineties. Some 80,000 bottles were produced."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "This is focused, with a vivid structure driving the cherry, leather, spice and earth flavors. Dusty tannins follow up, while this remains fresh on the lingering finish. Best from 2020 through 2033."
- Item #: i_305898Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97Wine Spectator: 96James Suckling: 98Casanova di Neri has most certainly had its share of accolades and praise with all the estate wines including the Brunello di Montalcino 'White Label', the newest project 'Tenuta Nuova' (literally translated new estate) and the small single vineyard of Cerretalto. Just to name a few, Last years 2012 'White Label' made #4 Top 100 Wine Spectator with 95 Points, the 2010 'Tenuta Nuova' received 100 points in Wine Advocate, and of course not forgetting the first time Giacomo Neri set off fireworks...the 2001 'Tenuta Nuova' making 2006 Wine Spectator Wine of the Year!
With the 2013 Classic Vintage that just arrived, we are excited to share with you another great showing of Casanova di Neri Brunello! And with the press of this vintage just ramping up, we suggest you get enough to put a few away! These wines are made to enjoy now and cellar for 25+ years. This anniversary edition will be one of the best wine purchases you make this year.
WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "Casanova di Neri's 2013 Brunello di Montalcino Tenuta Nuova is celebrating its 20th anniversary (1993-2013), and a special gold-label edition of the wine was made to commemorate this important milestone. I tasted the white label for this review. This is a bold and expressive Brunello that displays tightly knit aromas of Morello cherry, spice, leather and balsam herb that are the building blocks of the most beautiful Brunellos that come to mind. The Casanova di Neri house style implies a modern and sophisticated approach for sure. But the inner spirit and texture of Sangiovese is so fine and polished in its natural state that it hardly matters. The personality of the grape shines through with a loud and confident voice."
WINE SPECTATOR 'HOT WINES' 96 POINTS - "Sweet, ripe strawberry and cherry fruit melds seamlessly with the dense, refined structure of this red. Saline, licorice and spice accents add complexity as this lingers gracefully on the finish. Terrific harmony and expression."
JAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS - "A vivid and bright red with intense blueberries and raspberries. Floral undertones and tons of citrus, too! Full-bodied, dense and layered. Polished tannins and fantastic fruit. The muscularity of the structure is what gives this wine focus and intensity. So serious for the vintage. Give it time to show its greatness. Drink in 2022."
- Item #: i_302643Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 95+WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "The 2013 I Sodi di S. Niccolò is 85% Sangioveto (a more antique name for Sangiovese) and 15% Malvasia Nera from a single vineyard. This wine opens to a darkly saturated appearance and shows ruby, garnet and purple highlights. The bouquet is powerful but seamless at the same time with smooth transitions between dark cherry, spice, tobacco and moist clay. In the mouth, this wine shows dense extraction, but it never feels too weighed down by that mass. Instead, the freshness of the fruit and the natural acidity give the wine a bright and buoyant personality. Aged in barrique for 30 months, this is a delightful Tuscan red."
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 95+ POINTS - "The flagship 2013 I Sodi di San Niccolò is classy and polished to the core. In many vintages, the I Sodi di San Niccolò can be more overt and extroverted, but in 2003 it is a wine of cool sophistication and polish. A rush of dark red and purplish-hued stone fruits, wild flowers, mint and licorice rounds out things out. The 2013 is a stylish, captivating Sodi. All it needs is time in bottle. For my money, Sodi remains one of the world's most pedigreed under-the-radar wines."
- Item #: i_302311Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Advocate: 96WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "Cerbaiona's 2011 Brunello di Montalcino is one of the protagonists of the vintage. There is no denying the sheer beauty and focus of this wine. It makes a fabulous first impact with super sharp tones of wild berry, cola, balsam herb, flint and crushed oyster shell. Those drying mineral notes leave a lasting impression. In the mouth, this wine is super elegant, tight and delicately nuanced. Unfortunately, I have not had the best track record with aged Brunello from Cerbaiona (ten years or more) personally, but I am hopeful that a wine of this caliber and depth will restore my faith. No matter what the aging trajectory ultimately demonstrates, this wine certainly does taste fantastic at this young stage."
- Item #: i_305827Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92James Suckling: 92Wine Enthusiast: 95 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS; EDITOR'S CHOICE - "Fragrant and loaded with finesse, this radiant, full-bodied red opens with enticing scents of ripe black-skinned fruit, iris, cake spice and a whiff of camphor. On the linear yet delicious palate, elegant tannins and bright acidity support succulent black cherry, plum and licorice before a lingering tobacco finish. Drink 2021–2029." - Kerin O'Keefe
WINE ADVOCATE 92+ POINTS - "Like the other wines I tasted from Ciacci Piccolomini d'Aragona this year, I am surprised by the soft ripeness achieved in the 2014 Brunello di Montalcino. This was a cool and soggy vintage so those dark and sweet fruit flavors are counterintuitive. However, they elevate the wine to a higher intensity threshold and a more profound flavor profile. The wine offers enough crisp acidity and tannic firmness to hold it tightly together at this young stage in its lifespan."
JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "There’s a handy array of quite ripe red-berry and cherry aromas here that lead to a palate that has attractive red cherries with soft, earthy nuances and fine, chalky tannins. Drink now."
"To keep up our quality standards in years like these, we carefully select the grapes and make only our classic Brunello, but not our Brunello Pianrosso or our Brunello Riserva Santa Caterina d'Oro," says Paolo Bianchini, co-owner of Ciacci Piccolomini d'Aragona. "Our production was down 25-30% in 2014, but as a result of all the hard work, starting in the vineyards right up to bottling, we're more than satisfied with the results."
- Item #: i_301154Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "This is an excellent vintage in Chianti Classico that shows especially well in the simple, more accessible wines such as this. The 2016 Chianti Classico Berardenga delivers the power and density of its territory. The southern side of the appellation often shows the richest expressions of Sangiovese. This wine opens to sweet aromas of dark fruit, cherry and plum. The wine shows a slightly savory side as well with spice and dried terracotta that recalls the gray gravel soils of the region. Bay leaf, cola and chopped mint appear as subtle background notes."
- Item #: i_301340Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93James Suckling: 95In any vintage, Fontodi Chianti Classico is pure pleasure, but in 2015 it's outstanding. From its bouquet of rain-spattered flowers and cherries, to its palate of frutti di bosco and earth, this organically produced Chianti Classico is a classic, timeless rendition of Italy's favorite food-friendly wine, and its piquant acidity, juicy fruit, and smooth tannins make it a timely addition to any dinner table. Deriving from multiple vineyard sites in most vintages, in 2015 this Chianti Classico includes grapes usually designated for Flaccianello, making it perform like a "baby Flaccianello".
EU Certified Organic
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Rich, packed with cherry, leather, dark chocolate and wild herb aromas and flavors. Dense and vibrant, with a long, mouthwatering finish that picks up a graphite edge. Best from 2020 through 2032. 12,000 cases made."
JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "The purity of fruit here really makes an impression on you. The nose shines with freshly picked blackcurrants, dark plums, freshly cut herbs, cinnamon, raspberry cheesecake, glazed cherries, orange and lemon rind. The palate is so well-crafted with a silky ball of tannins surrounded by layers of blue and red fruit and enveloping acidity. A long finish. From organically grown grapes. Drink now or hold."
- Item #: i_301104Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98Vinous Media: 95WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "This stunning vintage of this landmark wine marks a slight adjustment to the blend. The 2016 Bolgheri Superiore Guado Al Tasso is no longer made with Petit Verdot. The blend is now 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Merlot and now 20% Cabernet Franc. This small change does not go unnoticed, as this wine is absolutely seamless now—like the finest Asian silk fabric. That profound textural softness and suppleness changes the way the wine smells and tastes, with hints of momentary sweetness that are more tactile than anything else. Generally speaking, the 2016 vintage offers more elegance (slightly less concentration) and a hair more freshness compared to the 2015 edition. When I tasted this wine, the bouquet was still timid, but it will no doubt become more expressive and open as this beautiful wine continues forward along its aging trajectory. Some 120,000 bottles were made, a remarkable feat considering the extreme quality on offer."
- Item #: i_305423Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "Sangiovese-whisperer Alessandro Mori has delivered another superstar wine with the 2013 Brunello di Montalcino Madonna Delle Grazie. The bouquet is detailed and fine with bright accents of fragrant red rose, red currant, cola, licorice, grilled herb and crushed white peppercorn. The bouquet is loose, light and buoyant, with a smooth and natural progression of building aromas. The mouthfeel, however, is direct, important and determined. It's that playful juxtaposition between the wine's soft side and its stern side that makes this such an interesting and sensational wine to drink. Only 5,993 bottles were produced, and that's the bad news."
- Item #: i_305997Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "This is a truly sumptuous wine that stands as a tall testament to the winemaking talents of Giampaolo Motta, his vision for interpreting this vintage and his specific vineyard site in Panzano in Chianti. This standout wine brings Fattoria la Massa to a new level of accomplishment and opens an exciting new chapter of possibility. The 2013 Giorgio Primo (50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 45% Merlot and 5% Petit Verdot) is dark and impenetrable on first impact. The aromas accelerate slowly and grow evenly in power and intensity after a few quick swirls of the glass. The bouquet peels back with dark fruit aromas, baking spice and Mediterranean herb. The effect is seamless and smooth. A velvety texture is accented by full-bodied richness and just enough freshness to keep the palate energized. And, of course, this is just the beginning of a long cellar life."
- Item #: i_305030Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92James Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "Aromas of blackberry, cherry and blueberry with hints of green tea. Full body, layered and ripe with lots of intense fruit and a long finish. Shows energy and focus."
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "From the beautiful rolling hills of Panzano in Chianti, the 2015 La Massa shows a ripe and soft side of the vintage with warm notes of black cherry and blackberry. This is a velvety and richly textured blend of 60% Sangiovese, 25% Merlot and 15% Cabernet Sauvignon and Alicante Bouschet that displays beautiful concentration and color saturation. This is an upfront and immediate wine that offers loads of beautiful intensity. You absolutely can't beat this unbelievable value from Tuscany. Drink: 2017-2027."
- Item #: i_303434Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2013 Barbaresco Starderi Vürsù is an elegant and polished wine with a deep sense of persistence and length. The wine delivers a tight embroidery of aromas that span from dark fruit to spice, to ethereal notes of balsam herb and cola. It runs the full spectrum. That feeling of wholeness and balance is also evident in the mouth. This Barbaresco reaches impeccable balance between its solid fruit flavors, its acidity and the determined firmness of its structure."