- Item #: i_303990Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 94The Conterno family has been making wine since the 1700’s and Aldo Conterno is regarded as one of the greatest producers of Piedmont. As a young man, Aldo worked with his brother, Giovanni before striking out on his own in 1969. He developed a reputation as an innovator with a focus on quality and attention to detail and passed this dynamism on to his three sons who now run the business.
Aldo’s small property on the hill of Bussia in Monforte D’Alba has grown into a marvelous 25 hectare estate. The Aldo Conterno Barolo’s are intense and concentrated examples of perfectly ripened Nebbiolo grapes from superior terroirs, grown at a gentle altitude that allows for optimum finesse. The three top 'Crus' on the famed Bussia slope produce the three flagship Barolos of the estate.
Radiant and succulent red and blue fruits, new saddle leather, cigar wrapper, violet petals, baking spices and loam waft from the glass of this spellbinding ’13 Barolo Bussia. This wine shows impeccable balance, unfurling on the palate with energy and focus to reveal a seamless structure and silky texture.
While you’ll want to drink this wine right away, time in the cellar will make it more harmonious and refined. Once simply Aldo Conterno Barolo and now called Barolo Bussia, this entry-level Barolo from Aldo Conterno has garnered a reputation for being a generous, open, genial wine; it’s a perennial IWM client favorite. Deriving from 12 acres of plots in Bussia Soprano with vines aging between 35 and 40 years, the carefully selected grapes ferment for thirty days, and the wine ages for 27 months in cask, followed by twelve months in bottle before release.
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "A fragrant style, offering rose, cherry, earth, mineral and cumin aromas and flavors. Young and tense, yet shows fine potential, with complex flavors, good structure and a long aftertaste. Best from 2023 through 2040."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "It may be a so-called entry level Barolo, but the 2013 Barolo Bussia definitely delivers the goods. Fruit is sourced from three separate points within the larger Bussia cru. These sites are characterized by clay soils with southeast exposures and approximately 25-year-old vines. The quality of fruit is very intense and defined with dark cherry and dried blackberry. Yet the mouthfeel is ethereal, light and buoyant. Keeping in line with the vintage, the tannins are firm and slightly rigid. However, they are well absorbed by the exuberant nature of the fruit. The wine's personality is reminiscent of the Barolo Bussia Cicala."
- Item #: i_303352Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95James Suckling: 95We've got so many great Brunellos from the warm and sunny 2015 vintage that it's hard to pick which to highlight next! We certainly must bring up Altesino for its modern classics that show the finest qualities of which Sangiovese is capable: expressive, complex aromas and a scintillating structure that is vibrant and finely etched.
Originally founded in 1970, Altesino was among the handful of wineries to join in the Brunello di Montalcino revolution that has led to some of greatest wines in the world today. The estate was purchased in 2002 for no small amount by Elisabetta Gnudi Angelini, owner of another well-known Montalcino winery, Caparzo. Fortunately, she did not seek to change the house style, but rather to give the winemaking team the tools to improve quality (job well done).
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The Altesino 2015 Brunello di Montalcino shows beautiful depth and latitude, with broad fruit aromas of dark cherry and cassis that recall the warmth and golden sunlight of the vintage. The wine is deceivingly streamlined in terms of mouthfeel, but that slim and buttoned-down backbone supports a broad range of flavors and sensations, from lavender essence and camphor ash to moist soil and toasted spice. All of these elements are delivered with impressive harmony and unity, and I expect that this wine will continue on a slow, steady and satisfying aging trajectory over the next 10 years or more. Fruit is sourced from across 21 hectares of vines with tufaceous limestone soils and Alberese rock, which contributes to the freshness and balanced structure of the wine. The wine was bottled in June 2019 (with 150,000 bottles made), and this wine was released in January 2020."
JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "Terracotta, earth, iron filings, cedar and leather make for an undergrowth-driven Brunello 2015, which doesn’t fall short in the fruit department either, where there are red plums and red cherries. The tannins are neatly stacked, one on top of the other, with tidy acidity drawing in vibrant fruit and keeping it taut throughout. Balanced and stylish. Drink from 2023."
- Item #: i_303700Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95+James Suckling: 95WINE ADVOCATE 95+ POINTS - "This is a terrific wine and one of the new releases from Montalcino that I happily include on a short list of top recommendations. The Argiano 2015 Brunello di Montalcino shows a very lively bouquet that is already singing despite the young age of this new release. The wine opens to a dark ruby color with garnet highlights. The bouquet shows a large span of wild berry, earth, licorice spice and medicinal herb aromas. This vintage also reveals a pretty floral character with dried rose potpourri and lavender buds. After fermentation, the wine is aged slowly for 30 months in large oak botte (including 10-, 30- and 50-hectoliter capacity), thus restricting oxygen and gently slowing its evolution. However, the 2015 vintage is naturally expressive and exuberant, and that's the main takeaway here."
JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "Very floral on the nose with plums, rose petals and freshly sliced porcini mushrooms. The palate is tight and compressed with beautiful ripe fruit, wet earth and cool, stone flavors. A structured and impressive wine."
- Item #: i_305890Bottle Size: EACHWine Advocate: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2010 Barolo Cannubi delivers the goods, showing an elegant but powerful side of the vintage. The wine is immaculate in terms of its varietal purity with bright tones of white cherry, licorice, pressed blue flowers, dried ginger and tar that rise steadily from the bouquet. There is good intensity here, yet the wine is decidedly feminine and graceful in personality. A point of sour cherry appears on the long and delicious finish."
- Item #: i_302191Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95James Suckling: 9640% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Petit Verdot, & 20% Cabernet Franc
JAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS - "Aromas of black licorice and blackberry. Blueberry, too. This is so complex. Full body, extremely silky and polished with lovely tannins. Deep and long. It seems powerful and rich yet ends so balanced and refined."
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The 2015 Ilatraia is a drop-dead gorgeous blend...all fruit coming from Brancaia's Maremma vineyards along the Tuscan coast. This warm vintage has shaped an exuberant and intense red wine that hits the palate with lavish richness. The complex bouquet is composed of dark fruit elements that are contrasted seamlessly against spice, sweet tobacco and campfire ash. Yet the mouthfeel is never too heavy or overextracted. There's a lot to enjoy here."
- Item #: i_302477Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94James Suckling: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The Camigliano 2015 Brunello di Montalcino sees fruit from a 50-hectare vineyard planted 300 to 350 meters above sea level. The soils show lots of variation with clay, sand, rock and marine fossils. The wine's bouquet reveals classic Brunello characteristics of wild berry, forest floor, pressed rose petal, crushed stone and spice. You also get those typical balsam and herbal tones that are so specific to Montalcino. In fact, I argue that they come across with even more intensity in a beautifully balanced and sunny vintage such as 2015. This wine ages in 60-hectoliter botti for 24 months, making for a firm yet surprisingly streamlined mouthfeel. With 160,000 bottles made, the wine was released in January 2020."
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "A bright and elegant Brunello that suggests sliced oranges, tulips and rose petals. Medium-to full-bodied and finely structured, drawing on silky layers of tannins and a vibrant edge of acidity. Drink now or hold."
- Item #: i_302576Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91Vinous Media: 90WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "Canalicchio di Sopra pays special attention to its lower-end wines. I always like to point this out to readers in the search for great value from Tuscany. The 2017 Rosso di Montalcino is an immediate and enticing expression with soft layers of ripe cherry and black fruit. The wine is soft and velvety in texture with easy endnotes of cherry confit and crème de cassis. This is a great food wine. Some 25,675 bottles and 762 magnums were made."
- Item #: i_305889Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93James Suckling: 95Every once in a while, a wine walks through the door (not literally, but you get the idea...) and just blows the room away. This is definitely one of those wines. Our Italian Wine Buyer, Patty Quick, believes this is the best Brunello she's ever had in terms of quality-to-price ratio. The juice is outstanding, the price reasonable and the critics are effusive in their praise— creating a fortuitous trifecta for those with access to it. This wine won't last so move quickly!
JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "Plum and ripe-berry with cedar and fresh-mushroom aromas and flavors. Full body, round and juicy tannins and a long and flavorful finish. Hints of chocolate. Shows intensity and focus. Drink or hold."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Caparzo is one of two properties in Montalcino owned by the beautiful and charming Elisabetta Gnudi Angelini. The other property is Altesino. This wine, the Caparzo 2015 Brunello di Montalcino is a very classic interpretation that delivers the goods without any distracting bells or whistles. The wine opens to red and purple fruit aromas with background tones of dried herb, potting soil, cedar wood and light spice. Fruit comes from a site with heavier clay soils, and you get hints of that extra density and richness here. This vintage offers all you need in a model Brunello from a very beautiful and generous vintage. I always admire the wines of Caparzo for their accessible and immediate drinking style. Some 160,000 bottles were corked in August 2019, and the wine hit the market in January 2020."
About the Winery - Caparzo, with owner Elisabetta Gnudi Angelini and winemaker Massimo Bracalente, aims to make top quality products using meticulous and traditional techniques, while at the same time applying a modern outlook in its commercial relations with efficiency and capability. More than thirty years have passed since the first vines were planted and the first steps in winemaking taken. In this period, Caparzo, bolstered by its background in the Brunello tradition and the different terroirs of the area, has proved its ability to produce wines with a creative flair and spirit of innovation that achieves top standards in quality. This explains why Caparzo wines have been chosen by the most famous restaurants in the world and are served at international meetings and official State banquets.
- Item #: i_305037Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "The 2012 Brunello di Montalcino Cerretalto offers a prolonged, flowing and carefully massaged drinking experience that drapes over the senses with some studied intensity and lots of intriguing complexity. This wine nails that perfect balance between power and elegance (that elusive exchange that so many winemakers hope to achieve) with effortless precision. Bold cherry fruit and spice are tightly woven together. In the mouth, the wine shows texture, depth and succulence. Generally speaking, this is not my favorite vintage in Montalcino, but this wine suddenly made me forget that thought."
- Item #: i_305454Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Vinous Media: 94James Suckling: 94Decanter: 94With the 2015 Great Vintage that just arrived, we are excited to share with you another great showing of Casanova di Neri Brunello! And with the press of this vintage just ramping up, we suggest you get enough to put a few away!
WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The Neri family has created a classic expression of Sangiovese from a classic vintage, while remaining faithful to the house style. In a nutshell, these wines always tend to offer dark plum, clove and fig confit over the tiny berry and blue flower aromas you get from the traditionalists. That said, this Brunello needs ample time to open, and I suggest you splash it into the decanter. The Casanova di Neri 2015 Brunello di Montalcino (this is the one with the white label) stays safely within your expectation of the vintage with its variety-driven aromas of wild berry, licorice, blue flower and balsam herb. This wine sees fruit sourced from a vineyard on the northeast side of Montalcino, with Galestro soils ranging from 330 to 480 meters above sea level. Some 95,376 bottles were made. It was bottled in June 2019, and it hit the market in January 2020. You might want more from the aromatics (while you wait for the bouquet to come around), but this wine goes gangbusters in terms of mid-palate and overall texture."
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 94 POINTS - "Good deep red. Saline aromas and flavors of red cherry, blueberries, herbs, blood orange and sweet spices. Smooth and long on the bright, very sweet finish. Really quite good."
DECANTER 94 POINTS - "The Casanova di Neri estate is located in the northeastern zone of Torrenieri. Besides five distinct sites there, the Neri family also has three vineyards in the south between the villages of Sant'Angelo in Colle and Castelnuovo dell'Abate. The 'white label' as this Brunello is called blends plots from the cooler Torrenieri area. It is mid-weight and classy, offering gleaming bright, fresh red cherry flavours. Hints of rust and warm stone as well as subtle sweet spice add complexity. Tactile but fine sandy tannins give appropriate support and the finish is vibrant and perfumed."
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "There’s beauty and drinkability to this wine that really is enticing with blueberry and cherry aromas, as well as hints of hot stone and licorice. Medium to full body, integrated tannins and a fresh and polished finish. Shows focus and brightness. Very drinkable now, but better in a year or two. Try in 2021."
- Item #: i_305898Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98+James Suckling: 99WINE ADVOCATE 98+ POINTS - "Giacomo Neri and his family have crafted a wine that impresses from the first sip forward (especially when the wine is given ample time to open). The Casanova di Neri 2015 Brunello di Montalcino Tenuta Nuova must be treated with patience, and that patience is returned with many great rewards. Blackberry, plum and summer cherry are slowly folded into lasting flavors of spice, leather and beautiful balsam or medical herb. These are always a distinctive signature of this estate. The aromas flow with seamless transitions, and that fluid and ever-changing nature of the bouquet is what helps to build intensity and staying power. Fruit is harvested from a south- and southeast-facing slope at 250 to 300 meters above sea level. The soils are mixed loosely with crushed rock, allowing access to air and moisture. Indeed, pretty mineral accents appear as the wine takes on more air in the glass. What stands out most in this Brunello is the quality of the bouquet that is rigid and firm, yet not excessively so. You feel the structural texture of the wine as it sits firmly over the palate, yet there is mobility and softness to its many moving parts. I tasted this wine at various intervals over a 24-hour period. Tenuta Nuova was bottled in June 2018, and some 70,032 bottles were released." - Monica Larner (31st Jan 2020)
JAMES SUCKLING 99 POINTS - "The purity of fruit in this wine really strikes you with black cherries, combined with sage, lavender and rosemary. Extremely aromatic. Full-bodied, yet so tight and polished with incredible tannin structure that gives the wine an endless mouth feel of caressing tannins, acidity and fruit. There’s a fabulous saltiness and oyster-shell undertone to the fruit. Unique. Drinkable already, but this year there’s the structure to last decades."
- Item #: i_302643Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 9685% Sangiovese (Sangioveto) & 15% Malvasia Nera
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "The 2013 I Sodi di S. Niccolò is 85% Sangioveto (a more antique name for Sangiovese) and 15% Malvasia Nera from a single vineyard. This wine opens to a darkly saturated appearance and shows ruby, garnet and purple highlights. The bouquet is powerful but seamless at the same time with smooth transitions between dark cherry, spice, tobacco and moist clay. In the mouth, this wine shows dense extraction, but it never feels too weighed down by that mass. Instead, the freshness of the fruit and the natural acidity give the wine a bright and buoyant personality. Aged in barrique for 30 months, this is a delightful Tuscan red."
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 95+ POINTS - "The flagship 2013 I Sodi di San Niccolò is classy and polished to the core. In many vintages, the I Sodi di San Niccolò can be more overt and extroverted, but in 2003 it is a wine of cool sophistication and polish. A rush of dark red and purplish-hued stone fruits, wild flowers, mint and licorice rounds out things out. The 2013 is a stylish, captivating Sodi. All it needs is time in bottle. For my money, Sodi remains one of the world's most pedigreed under-the-radar wines."
- Item #: i_302052Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 98JAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS - "This is the best Campo del Drago I have ever had. It really shows the unique character of the elevated single vineyard of 1.5 hectares. Black cherries and flowers with hints of sandalwood and tree bark. Always pure and beautiful. Medium to full body. Ultra-fine tannins. Lightly salty character to the cherry and berry flavors. Extremely long and beautiful."
- Item #: i_302311Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Advocate: 96WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "Cerbaiona's 2011 Brunello di Montalcino is one of the protagonists of the vintage. There is no denying the sheer beauty and focus of this wine. It makes a fabulous first impact with super sharp tones of wild berry, cola, balsam herb, flint and crushed oyster shell. Those drying mineral notes leave a lasting impression. In the mouth, this wine is super elegant, tight and delicately nuanced. Unfortunately, I have not had the best track record with aged Brunello from Cerbaiona (ten years or more) personally, but I am hopeful that a wine of this caliber and depth will restore my faith. No matter what the aging trajectory ultimately demonstrates, this wine certainly does taste fantastic at this young stage."
- Item #: i_303350Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Wine Spectator: 94James Suckling: 98Wine Enthusiast: 97JAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS - "Extremely perfumed and decadent with dried flowers and spices and fresh mushrooms. Cherries,too. Full body. Solid core of fruit, yet ever so fine tannins. Goes on for minutes. Such beautifully crafted tannins. Drink after 2021."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 97 POINTS - "Enticing aromas of ripe wild berry, iris, camphor and sunbaked soil take shape in the glass. Full bodied and enveloping, the smooth, delicious palate doles out juicy Marasca cherry, raspberry jam, licorice and tobacco while firm velvety tannins provide support. It boasts concentration and structure but also balance, thanks to the fruit richness and freshness. Drink 2023–2030. "
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The Ciacci Piccolomini d'Aragona estate enjoys a beautiful and huge expanse of vineyards at the back of the Castelnuovo dell'Abate village, where the downward slope of the hamlet meets the Orcia River, which delineates the appellation border. The estate's 2015 Brunello di Montalcino offers lovely harmony and elegance. The wine's taste profile follows the soft contours and beautiful horizons that characterize this beautiful part of Tuscany. The mouthfeel is medium-weight but carefully balanced with just enough acidity to add brightness. It shows just enough backbone to guarantee staying power and longevity. That said, the tannins are carefully integrated into the delicate fiber of the wine. This is no doubt one of the most graceful Brunellos to emerge from the 2015 vintage."
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Distinctly salty, this red features cherry, strawberry, juniper, thyme and tobacco flavors. Tightly wound and energetic, with fine balance and a lingering, resonant aftertaste. Complex and built to age. Best from 2023 through 2042."
- Item #: i_302269Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96+WINE ADVOCATE 96+ POINTS - "The Domenico Clerico 2015 Barolo Pajana opens to a beautifully saturated color with dark garnet and ruby highlights. Compared to the 2016 vintage that I tasted at the same time, this wine is more robust, structured and deeper. In some cases, I prefer 2016 to 2015, but this is one case in which the warmer vintage ushers forth a special and very attractive level of intensity. The bouquet is layered, multifaceted and fluid. Despite the many adjectives you could use to describe the bouquet, one thing does not change and that is the sheer intensity of this impressive Barolo Pajana."
Domenico Clerico is one of the most well-respected legends in Barolo and his wines have long been celebrated for their extraordinary richness and striking aromatics. The estate is situated in Monforte d’Alba, right in the heart of Barolo with outstanding vineyard holdings in four of the greatest crus of Monforte: Ginestra, Pajana, Mosconi and Bussia; Baudana in Serralunga.
When Domenico first embarked on his great wine adventure in 1976, his priority was working among the vines, strongly convinced that in order to make great wine one must care for the vineyard with love and dedication. His passion and love for the land resulted in wines of the highest quality and exceptional character.
- Item #: i_302194Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97BIODYNAMICALLY FARMED
WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "This vintage is profound and beautiful. The 2016 Cabernet Franc Duemani shows deep layers of fruit, with levels of crunchiness and complexity that make it memorable. The mouthfeel is silky, long and rich. The maturity of the fruit here is perfect. In terms of appearance, the wine is dark and impenetrable. All around, this Duemani is an extremely tight, focused and elegant expression of Cabernet Franc."
Fiercely independent and a man of mesmerizing intensity, Luca D’Attoma is one of the best winemakers in Italy. He consults with multiple clients including Le Macchiole, Tua Rita and Fattoria Le Pupille. Duemani is his personal property and winemaking follows his strict biodynamic philosophy.Azienda Agricola Duemani is the ownership property of superstar winemaker Luca d’Attoma (formerly of Tua Rita, and currently at Le Macchiole, pictured above). This winery is the perfect example of what happens when a world-class enologist finally has the chance to buy his own property. Starting completely from scratch, Luca leveled these rolling hillsides in Riparbella, just next to Bolgheri, and planted his fields mainly with his first love: Cabernet Franc. The passion Luca puts into the wines is obvious, as the project has been entirely organic/ biodynamic from the first day. With no neighboring properties, his vineyards are totally isolated from conventional farming. His vineyard density is unusually high, resulting in fruit of exceptional quality The estate is certified biodynamic by Demeter (http://www.demeter.net). As proponents of the principles of biodynamic farming, the cultivation and care of the vineyard’s soil is of the utmost importance to Luca and Elena. They employ various practices throughout the year to stimulate soil vitality and health which in turn provides beneficial nutrients and oxygen to the vines.
- Item #: i_301154Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 92James Suckling: 95ORGANICALLY FARMED
JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "A very fresh 2017 with plenty of tight and linear tannins that give the wine energy and drive. Medium to full body. Racy finish. This is impressive. Fantastic texture and complexity on the palate with purple fruit and wet earth."
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Rich, with black cherry, plum, iron and violet aromas and flavors, this red is suave and multidimensional. Vibrant and balanced, featuring a lingering finish that echoes the fruit and adds a spice accent. Best from 2021 through 2040."
Over the years, the wines of Tuscan winery, Felsina, have been a staple at Hi-Time Wine Cellars by wowing us with their consistent quality across the range and vintages. Domenico Poggiali was taking a big risk starting the winery in 1966 when the market for serious Chianti was nowhere near what it is today, but that helped earn them a place at the top: building a reputation bit by bit over the decades, employing the highest quality of winemaking available even when it was uncertain that it would be profitable. It doesn't hurt that they ultimately employed one of the top Italian winemaking consultants, Franco Bernabei, who played a pivotal role in the Tuscan wine renaissance!
- Item #: i_303368Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96PRACTICING ORGANIC
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "The Gianni Brunelli Le Chiuse di Sotto team is on a roll, and these last few vintages have really hit it out of the ballpark. Their latest release, the charming 2015 Brunello di Montalcino, is one of the stars of the vintage. This wine exudes the warmth and sheer exuberance of the growing season, which was beautifully warm and sunny. Yet it also stays true to the promise of Montalcino that strives for elegance, poise and longevity. This is a classic interpretation that offers a very precise and pure window onto the Sangiovese grape, with its tight aromas of wild cherry, medical herb and pressed blue flowers. The wine is a blend of fruit from both sides of Montalcino, the north side and the southeast. Between the two sites you get a mix of schist, sand, clay, tufo and Galestro soil. That's pretty much the whole rainbow from the appellation. Some 16,846 bottles were made (not including large-format bottles), and the wine was released in January 2020."
According to Laura Brunelli, the estate has been farmed organically since the beginning. As an alternative to pesticides, they use the sexual confusion method. In late July, a green harvest is performed in order to leave 7-8 bunches per vine. The vineyards are worked manually throughout the growing cycle – each 1ha of vines requires over 400 hours of work. Selected yeasts are used for fermentation; malolactic occurs naturally.
- Item #: i_305030Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 9365% Sangiovese, 25% Merlot and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2016 La Massa is a terrific blend of 65% Sangiovese, 25% Merlot and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon available at an accessible price. Alicante Bouschet was used in the blend until last year but has now been removed. The results are surprisingly complex and profound, although the wine's best asset is the fresh and straightforward approach it makes, especially on the palate. That inner depth will give this wine some proper aging potential I should expect. This vintage shows lots of tension and dimension. The warm 2015 vintage shows sunny softness, but 2016 has more overall freshness."
WINEMAKER NOTES - "This full-bodied, energetic red from the Chianti Classico region of Panzano combines warm richness with balance and length that makes it widely popular year after year. Winemaker Stephane Derenoncourt, one of Bordeaux's most renowned winemakers, crafts the wine with Bordeaux influences including aging in French oak, 20% new, to produce a luscious mouth-feel. This wine is one of the best values in the market place."
- Item #: i_303434Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2013 Barbaresco Starderi Vürsù is an elegant and polished wine with a deep sense of persistence and length. The wine delivers a tight embroidery of aromas that span from dark fruit to spice, to ethereal notes of balsam herb and cola. It runs the full spectrum. That feeling of wholeness and balance is also evident in the mouth. This Barbaresco reaches impeccable balance between its solid fruit flavors, its acidity and the determined firmness of its structure."
- Item #: i_301106Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93James Suckling: 94100% Sangiovese (36 Biotypes, though!)
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "This is very fine and pretty with berry, cherries and flowers on the nose and palate. Full body with very integrated tannins and a fresh clean finish. A beauty now. This is classy. A blend of a selection of three dozen of the best Sangiovese clones grown in Chianti Classico by the historic winemaking family of Mazzei. Drink or hold."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2010 Mix36 is a blend of 36 biotypes of Sangiovese. With its technical winemaking notes printed on the front label (harvest yields and maceration times), this wine should have special appeal with wine geeks everywhere. This expression is elegant and clean with sharp focus and bright notes of wild berry and lingering smoke. Polished tannins are backed by bright acidity. Anticipated maturity: 2015-2025."
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "One of the newer wines in the range, the Mix 36 is once again terrific in 2010. Layers of fruit emerge effortlessly from this gracious, pliant wine. Tar, smoke, spices and licorice flesh out on the radiant finish. The style is a bit supple for the year, but gorgeous all the same. It will be interesting to follow the 2010 over the coming years. Mix 36 made from 36 different Sangiovese clones planted on the property, and is aged in 500-liter barrels.
- Item #: i_302050Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 98Vinous Media: 96Wine Enthusiast: 98Founded back in 1921, the winery developed into its modern state under Paolo's son, Enrico, who has in turn passed operations on to his daughters Enrica and Elisa. They inherited Enrico's openness to continual improvements in their vineyards and winemaking, and it shows in the quality of the wines today. As they have grown over the decades, they have ended up with one of the widest ranges of vineyards within the Barolo appellation, and their winemaking allows for an equally wide range of personalities to emerge. Just take a look at the glowing reviews from Antonio Galloni's publication, 'Vinous!'
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 96 POINTS - "The 2016 Barolo Bric del Fiasc is a powerful, muscular wine. Youthfully austere and tannic, the 2016 is going to need a number of years to come around, but it is magnificent, even in the early going. Layers of building tannins enshroud a core of dark Nebbiolo fruit, with hints of dried herbs, iron, leather and sweet tobacco that develop with a bit of coaxing. As always, Bric del Fiasc has a feral intensity to it. The 2016 is an especially fine edition and also a terrific example of the style of this Castiglione Falletto site."
WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "Drawing its fruit from Castiglione Falletto, the Paolo Scavino 2016 Barolo Bric dël Fiasc shows dimension, depth, precision and power. The wine opens to a dark garnet color with a saturated hue, leading to a full, all-encompassing bouquet. The Barolo Bric dël Fiasc is often the most representative wine in the Scavino portfolio, and never has this been more true than in this classic vintage. Dark fruit, licorice, spice and ferrous earth build a fluid and multifaceted bouquet. The mouthfeel sits firm and tight on the palate today, promising to evolve and soften tomorrow. This is a bottle for your cellar."
WINE ENTHUSIAST; KERIN O'KEEFE 98 POINTS
- Item #: i_301934Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 95EU Certified Organic
This reserve wine, composed of 97% Sangiovese and 3% Canaiolo, is partly aged in smaller French oak barrels for 20 months, which helps in polishing up such a dense style of Chianti. The 2016 vintage was exceptional for a balance of ripe aromas and crisp, dense structure, which certainly made San Giusto's job easier! While this is a wine that will improve over the next 4-8 years, you can decant for an hour or so, and pair with grilled meats or heartier vegetable dishes.
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "The 2016 Chianti Classico Riserva Le Baroncole is a beautiful wine that delivers a very convincing performance as soon as you venture your happy nose into the glass. The wine is inky dark in appearance, yet brilliant hues of dark ruby and garnet shine bright from within. There is a moment of austerity on the bouquet, with dark aromas of slate and blackberry that slowly unwind and relax to producer softer aromas of red cherry and candied plum. This wine's natural range and distance shows more latitude than you may expect. This Riserva is a real beauty, and this vintage is something truly special. The blend is 97% Sangiovese with 3% Canaiolo, and the wine ages in both barrique and tonneaux for 20 months. Some 15,600 bottles and 200 magnums were produced."
ANTONIO GALLONI 95 POINTS - "The 2016 Chianti Classico Riserva Le Baròncole is a super-elegant, perfumed wine. Classy and polished, with exceptional balance, the 2016 has so much to offer. All the best elements of the house style come together in a deep, layered Chianti Classico that oozes with class. Super-ripe dark cherry, plum, lavender, spice and menthol build into the finely knit, delineated finish. The 2016 spent 22 months in a combination of casks and smaller format French oak, mostly tonneaux. In 2016, Baròncole is especially fine. Don't miss it!" Antonio Galloni."
- Item #: i_301257Bottle Size: 750mlPRACTICING ORGANIC
For a long time Selvapiana was a summer residence for the Florentine bishops. It then belonged to a series of rich Florentine merchant families including the Scalandroni. Purchased in 1827 by Michele Giuntini Selvapiana, the estate now covers an area of 240 hectares, of which 45 are devoted to vineyards and 31 to olives. Five generations of the Giuntini family have now lived on the estate.
The rigor and care devoted to producing this wine make Bucerchiale (a 100% Sangiovese made for the first time in 1979) one of the finest wines in the Rufina area. Following malolactic fermentation, it is matured in barriques and medium-sized sessile oak casks. It is aged in wood for 15 months and then blended together in steel tanks prior to bottling.