- Item #: i_303990Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 94The Conterno family has been making wine since the 1700’s and Aldo Conterno is regarded as one of the greatest producers of Piedmont. As a young man, Aldo worked with his brother, Giovanni before striking out on his own in 1969. He developed a reputation as an innovator with a focus on quality and attention to detail and passed this dynamism on to his three sons who now run the business.
Aldo’s small property on the hill of Bussia in Monforte D’Alba has grown into a marvelous 25 hectare estate. The Aldo Conterno Barolo’s are intense and concentrated examples of perfectly ripened Nebbiolo grapes from superior terroirs, grown at a gentle altitude that allows for optimum finesse. The three top 'Crus' on the famed Bussia slope produce the three flagship Barolos of the estate.
Radiant and succulent red and blue fruits, new saddle leather, cigar wrapper, violet petals, baking spices and loam waft from the glass of this spellbinding ’13 Barolo Bussia. This wine shows impeccable balance, unfurling on the palate with energy and focus to reveal a seamless structure and silky texture.
While you’ll want to drink this wine right away, time in the cellar will make it more harmonious and refined. Once simply Aldo Conterno Barolo and now called Barolo Bussia, this entry-level Barolo from Aldo Conterno has garnered a reputation for being a generous, open, genial wine; it’s a perennial IWM client favorite. Deriving from 12 acres of plots in Bussia Soprano with vines aging between 35 and 40 years, the carefully selected grapes ferment for thirty days, and the wine ages for 27 months in cask, followed by twelve months in bottle before release.
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "A fragrant style, offering rose, cherry, earth, mineral and cumin aromas and flavors. Young and tense, yet shows fine potential, with complex flavors, good structure and a long aftertaste. Best from 2023 through 2040."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "It may be a so-called entry level Barolo, but the 2013 Barolo Bussia definitely delivers the goods. Fruit is sourced from three separate points within the larger Bussia cru. These sites are characterized by clay soils with southeast exposures and approximately 25-year-old vines. The quality of fruit is very intense and defined with dark cherry and dried blackberry. Yet the mouthfeel is ethereal, light and buoyant. Keeping in line with the vintage, the tannins are firm and slightly rigid. However, they are well absorbed by the exuberant nature of the fruit. The wine's personality is reminiscent of the Barolo Bussia Cicala."
- Item #: i_305890Bottle Size: EACHWine Advocate: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2010 Barolo Cannubi delivers the goods, showing an elegant but powerful side of the vintage. The wine is immaculate in terms of its varietal purity with bright tones of white cherry, licorice, pressed blue flowers, dried ginger and tar that rise steadily from the bouquet. There is good intensity here, yet the wine is decidedly feminine and graceful in personality. A point of sour cherry appears on the long and delicious finish."
- Item #: i_302191Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 93James Suckling: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS , VINOUS 93 POINTS, JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS, WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS
"The 2014 Ilatraia is a terrific wine that represents a blend of 40% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Petit Verdot and 20% Cabernet Franc. This is a darkly saturated and rich Tuscan blend that delivers so much pleasure on all levels. There is softness, intensity, complexity and length. This is a stunning wine with excellent engineering and execution. This is definitely a wine I will remember."
- Item #: i_305037Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "The 2012 Brunello di Montalcino Cerretalto offers a prolonged, flowing and carefully massaged drinking experience that drapes over the senses with some studied intensity and lots of intriguing complexity. This wine nails that perfect balance between power and elegance (that elusive exchange that so many winemakers hope to achieve) with effortless precision. Bold cherry fruit and spice are tightly woven together. In the mouth, the wine shows texture, depth and succulence. Generally speaking, this is not my favorite vintage in Montalcino, but this wine suddenly made me forget that thought."
- Item #: i_302643Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 95+85% Sangiovese (Sangioveto) & 15% Malvasia Nera
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "The 2013 I Sodi di S. Niccolò is 85% Sangioveto (a more antique name for Sangiovese) and 15% Malvasia Nera from a single vineyard. This wine opens to a darkly saturated appearance and shows ruby, garnet and purple highlights. The bouquet is powerful but seamless at the same time with smooth transitions between dark cherry, spice, tobacco and moist clay. In the mouth, this wine shows dense extraction, but it never feels too weighed down by that mass. Instead, the freshness of the fruit and the natural acidity give the wine a bright and buoyant personality. Aged in barrique for 30 months, this is a delightful Tuscan red."
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 95+ POINTS - "The flagship 2013 I Sodi di San Niccolò is classy and polished to the core. In many vintages, the I Sodi di San Niccolò can be more overt and extroverted, but in 2003 it is a wine of cool sophistication and polish. A rush of dark red and purplish-hued stone fruits, wild flowers, mint and licorice rounds out things out. The 2013 is a stylish, captivating Sodi. All it needs is time in bottle. For my money, Sodi remains one of the world's most pedigreed under-the-radar wines."
- Item #: i_302311Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Advocate: 96WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "Cerbaiona's 2011 Brunello di Montalcino is one of the protagonists of the vintage. There is no denying the sheer beauty and focus of this wine. It makes a fabulous first impact with super sharp tones of wild berry, cola, balsam herb, flint and crushed oyster shell. Those drying mineral notes leave a lasting impression. In the mouth, this wine is super elegant, tight and delicately nuanced. Unfortunately, I have not had the best track record with aged Brunello from Cerbaiona (ten years or more) personally, but I am hopeful that a wine of this caliber and depth will restore my faith. No matter what the aging trajectory ultimately demonstrates, this wine certainly does taste fantastic at this young stage."
- Item #: i_302269Bottle Size: 750mlDomenico Clerico is one of the most well-respected legends in Barolo and his wines have long been celebrated for their extraordinary richness and striking aromatics. The estate is situated in Monforte d’Alba, right in the heart of Barolo with outstanding vineyard holdings in four of the greatest crus of Monforte: Ginestra, Pajana, Mosconi and Bussia; Baudana in Serralunga.
When Domenico first embarked on his great wine adventure in 1976, his priority was working among the vines, strongly convinced that in order to make great wine one must care for the vineyard with love and dedication. His passion and love for the land resulted in wines of the highest quality and exceptional character.
- Item #: i_302194Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "This vintage is profound and beautiful. The 2016 Cabernet Franc Duemani shows deep layers of fruit, with levels of crunchiness and complexity that make it memorable. The mouthfeel is silky, long and rich. The maturity of the fruit here is perfect. In terms of appearance, the wine is dark and impenetrable. All around, this Duemani is an extremely tight, focused and elegant expression of Cabernet Franc."
Fiercely independent and a man of mesmerizing intensity, Luca D’Attoma is one of the best winemakers in Italy. He consults with multiple clients including Le Macchiole, Tua Rita and Fattoria Le Pupille. Duemani is his personal property and winemaking follows his strict biodynamic philosophy.Azienda Agricola Duemani is the ownership property of superstar winemaker Luca d’Attoma (formerly of Tua Rita, and currently at Le Macchiole, pictured above). This winery is the perfect example of what happens when a world-class enologist finally has the chance to buy his own property. Starting completely from scratch, Luca leveled these rolling hillsides in Riparbella, just next to Bolgheri, and planted his fields mainly with his first love: Cabernet Franc. The passion Luca puts into the wines is obvious, as the project has been entirely organic/ biodynamic from the first day. With no neighboring properties, his vineyards are totally isolated from conventional farming. His vineyard density is unusually high, resulting in fruit of exceptional quality The estate is certified biodynamic by Demeter (http://www.demeter.net). As proponents of the principles of biodynamic farming, the cultivation and care of the vineyard’s soil is of the utmost importance to Luca and Elena. They employ various practices throughout the year to stimulate soil vitality and health which in turn provides beneficial nutrients and oxygen to the vines.
- Item #: i_301154Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92ORGANICALLY FARMED
Over the years, the wines of Tuscan winery, Felsina, have been a staple at Hi-Time Wine Cellars by wowing us with their consistent quality across the range and vintages. Domenico Poggiali was taking a big risk starting the winery in 1966 when the market for serious Chianti was nowhere near what it is today, but that helped earn them a place at the top: building a reputation bit by bit over the decades, employing the highest quality of winemaking available even when it was uncertain that it would be profitable. It doesn't hurt that they ultimately employed one of the top Italian winemaking consultants, Franco Bernabei, who played a pivotal role in the Tuscan wine renaissance!
The Felsina lineup has been particularly strong in the beautiful back-to-back 2015 & 2016 vintages in Tuscany, and the reviews are proof. Our current lineup of 2016s share a common thread: intensity of flavors, a balance of muscle and elegance in a well-structured package. They are all made from 100% Sangiovese, organically farmed, and are made in a "modern" style, with a careful use of small French oak barrels.
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "This is an excellent vintage in Chianti Classico that shows especially well in the simple, more accessible wines such as this. The 2016 Chianti Classico Berardenga delivers the power and density of its territory. The southern side of the appellation often shows the richest expressions of Sangiovese. This wine opens to sweet aromas of dark fruit, cherry and plum. The wine shows a slightly savory side as well with spice and dried terracotta that recalls the gray gravel soils of the region. Bay leaf, cola and chopped mint appear as subtle background notes."
- Item #: i_301340Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93James Suckling: 95EU Certified Organic
In any vintage, Fontodi Chianti Classico is pure pleasure, but in 2015 it's outstanding. From its bouquet of rain-spattered flowers and cherries, to its palate of frutti di bosco and earth, this organically produced Chianti Classico is a classic, timeless rendition of Italy's favorite food-friendly wine, and its piquant acidity, juicy fruit, and smooth tannins make it a timely addition to any dinner table. Deriving from multiple vineyard sites in most vintages, in 2015 this Chianti Classico includes grapes usually designated for Flaccianello, making it perform like a "baby Flaccianello".
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Rich, packed with cherry, leather, dark chocolate and wild herb aromas and flavors. Dense and vibrant, with a long, mouthwatering finish that picks up a graphite edge. Best from 2020 through 2032. 12,000 cases made."
JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "The purity of fruit here really makes an impression on you. The nose shines with freshly picked blackcurrants, dark plums, freshly cut herbs, cinnamon, raspberry cheesecake, glazed cherries, orange and lemon rind. The palate is so well-crafted with a silky ball of tannins surrounded by layers of blue and red fruit and enveloping acidity. A long finish. From organically grown grapes. Drink now or hold."
- Item #: i_301104Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98The Antinori family of Florence needs little introduction and is one of the world's oldest and most distinguished wine producers. The Antinori’s respect traditions yet possess a dynamic and innovative spirit. Guado al Tasso is the flagship wine of the estate, showcasing amazing power, elegance, and balance, which make it one of the most sought after wines in the world.
WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "This stunning vintage of this landmark wine marks a slight adjustment to the blend. The 2016 Bolgheri Superiore Guado Al Tasso is no longer made with Petit Verdot. The blend is now 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Merlot and now 20% Cabernet Franc. This small change does not go unnoticed, as this wine is absolutely seamless now—like the finest Asian silk fabric. That profound textural softness and suppleness changes the way the wine smells and tastes, with hints of momentary sweetness that are more tactile than anything else. Generally speaking, the 2016 vintage offers more elegance (slightly less concentration) and a hair more freshness compared to the 2015 edition. When I tasted this wine, the bouquet was still timid, but it will no doubt become more expressive and open as this beautiful wine continues forward along its aging trajectory. Some 120,000 bottles were made, a remarkable feat considering the extreme quality on offer."
- Item #: i_305423Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "Sangiovese-whisperer Alessandro Mori has delivered another superstar wine with the 2013 Brunello di Montalcino Madonna Delle Grazie. The bouquet is detailed and fine with bright accents of fragrant red rose, red currant, cola, licorice, grilled herb and crushed white peppercorn. The bouquet is loose, light and buoyant, with a smooth and natural progression of building aromas. The mouthfeel, however, is direct, important and determined. It's that playful juxtaposition between the wine's soft side and its stern side that makes this such an interesting and sensational wine to drink. Only 5,993 bottles were produced, and that's the bad news."
- Item #: i_305997Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "This is a truly sumptuous wine that stands as a tall testament to the winemaking talents of Giampaolo Motta, his vision for interpreting this vintage and his specific vineyard site in Panzano in Chianti. This standout wine brings Fattoria la Massa to a new level of accomplishment and opens an exciting new chapter of possibility. The 2013 Giorgio Primo (50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 45% Merlot and 5% Petit Verdot) is dark and impenetrable on first impact. The aromas accelerate slowly and grow evenly in power and intensity after a few quick swirls of the glass. The bouquet peels back with dark fruit aromas, baking spice and Mediterranean herb. The effect is seamless and smooth. A velvety texture is accented by full-bodied richness and just enough freshness to keep the palate energized. And, of course, this is just the beginning of a long cellar life."
- Item #: i_305030Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 9365% Sangiovese, 25% Merlot and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2016 La Massa is a terrific blend of 65% Sangiovese, 25% Merlot and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon available at an accessible price. Alicante Bouschet was used in the blend until last year but has now been removed. The results are surprisingly complex and profound, although the wine's best asset is the fresh and straightforward approach it makes, especially on the palate. That inner depth will give this wine some proper aging potential I should expect. This vintage shows lots of tension and dimension. The warm 2015 vintage shows sunny softness, but 2016 has more overall freshness."
WINEMAKER NOTES - "This full-bodied, energetic red from the Chianti Classico region of Panzano combines warm richness with balance and length that makes it widely popular year after year. Winemaker Stephane Derenoncourt, one of Bordeaux's most renowned winemakers, crafts the wine with Bordeaux influences including aging in French oak, 20% new, to produce a luscious mouth-feel. This wine is one of the best values in the market place."
- Item #: i_303434Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2013 Barbaresco Starderi Vürsù is an elegant and polished wine with a deep sense of persistence and length. The wine delivers a tight embroidery of aromas that span from dark fruit to spice, to ethereal notes of balsam herb and cola. It runs the full spectrum. That feeling of wholeness and balance is also evident in the mouth. This Barbaresco reaches impeccable balance between its solid fruit flavors, its acidity and the determined firmness of its structure."
- Item #: i_305397Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 93WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2013 Brunello di Montalcino walks a very fine line between elegance and finesse. Those may seem like two analogous terms, but this wine teaches you that they are not. The bouquet offers tonic and buoyant tones of wild berry, blueberry, dried herb and licorice. Each is elegant in its own right, but together they form a nuanced and finessed whole. Le Potazzine does very nicely in the hot vintages, but it delivers unexpected surprises (like this wine) in the cooler ones."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Heady flavors of plum, macerated cherry, sweet spices, leather and earth mark this powerful red. The dense tannins are well-matched to the fruit, texture and breadth. Exuberance wins over subtlety here. Best from 2022 through 2036."
- Item #: i_301106Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Vinous Media: 93James Suckling: 94100% Sangiovese (36 Biotypes, though!)
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "This is very fine and pretty with berry, cherries and flowers on the nose and palate. Full body with very integrated tannins and a fresh clean finish. A beauty now. This is classy. A blend of a selection of three dozen of the best Sangiovese clones grown in Chianti Classico by the historic winemaking family of Mazzei. Drink or hold."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2010 Mix36 is a blend of 36 biotypes of Sangiovese. With its technical winemaking notes printed on the front label (harvest yields and maceration times), this wine should have special appeal with wine geeks everywhere. This expression is elegant and clean with sharp focus and bright notes of wild berry and lingering smoke. Polished tannins are backed by bright acidity. Anticipated maturity: 2015-2025."
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "One of the newer wines in the range, the Mix 36 is once again terrific in 2010. Layers of fruit emerge effortlessly from this gracious, pliant wine. Tar, smoke, spices and licorice flesh out on the radiant finish. The style is a bit supple for the year, but gorgeous all the same. It will be interesting to follow the 2010 over the coming years. Mix 36 made from 36 different Sangiovese clones planted on the property, and is aged in 500-liter barrels.
- Item #: i_302652Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 91WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "Fine and creamy, this elegant, light- to medium-bodied white leads with a waft of almond blossom that carries to the palate's baked nectarine, stony mineral, ground ginger and honey flavors. Offers a fresh, lingering finish."
Established in 1750 by Pietro di Berardino (he adopted the title of Mastro, which eventually merged with Berardino) and officially registered in 1878 by Cavalier Angelo Mastroberardino, Campania’s Mastroberardino is one of Italy’s great winemaking estates.
- Item #: i_301972Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 95Wine Enthusiast: 95 PointsWe're excited to announce the arrival of the 2016 Barbaresco from the historic Produttori del Barbaresco, which is a perfect introduction to the beauty of Nebbiolo, the Barbaresco terroir, and the character of this wonderful vintage. The 2016 growing season was another great year for Nebbiolo grapes in the region, creating contrasts with the open, fruit-driven 2015s. There are the powerful aromas and flavors of wild red fruits (think red currant, raspberry, and cherry), the rose and violet, and the spices like anise and white pepper, all to be expected in a classical Nebbiolo. But in 2016, there is a notable finesse in how those flavors come across the palate, and in how they interplay with the wine's structure; the firmness of the fine, enshrouding tannin and the racy spine of acidity make this a serious wine.
Delicious now with an hour decant, the 2016 Produttori del Barbaresco will continue to soften and evolve over 20 years if you choose to put a few in the cellar. This kind of wine is perfect with flavorful, complex and slightly rich dishes like mushroom risotto, ragu' (meat sauce) with polenta or pasta, roast lamb, and moderately aged cheeses (nothing too sharp).
The Produttori del Barbaresco is historically important in Piedmont, but it's also a rare example of a cooperative of growers making superlative wine. Before 1894, the Nebbiolo grapes grown in the village of Barbaresco in the north of Italy were sold to the neighboring village of Barolo. It was then that Domizio Cavazza, of the Royal Enological School of Alba, created the first cooperative with nine Barbaresco vineyards, and made this unique and pure expression of the grape from his native village. He recognized the singularity of the terroir here, and the tradition of Barbaresco was born.
125 years later, the wines from the Produttori del Barbaresco cooperative are recognized as being among the greatest expressions of the Nebbiolo grape on the planet. Fifty families, each with generations of knowledge and passion, work together using their collective 250 acres to make the numerous single vineyard reserve bottlings as well as the wine we're featuring, their flagship "classic" Barbaresco. The key distinction is that the "classic" Barbaresco is made from a selection of younger vines from various sites, and is crafted to reflect the growing season in a balanced and approachable fashion.
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The 2016 Barbaresco is a tight and beautiful wine that will require more time to unwind and soften. This beautifully balanced vintage is characterized by a tight inner core of fruit that underlines the graceful aging capacity of these wines. The 2016 is shaping up to be one destined for long cellar aging. Now in its youth, the wine offers wild berry, rose and licorice aromas."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS; CELLAR SELECTION - "Enticing aromas of violet, woodland berry, loose vineyard soil, wild mint and a hint of spearmint shape the intensely fragrant nose. The tense, young palate is still nervous but already boasts finesse, showing wild raspberry, crunchy red cherry, white pepper and star anise. Firm, refined tannins and racy acidity give it a linear, almost austere elegance, while bright acidity keeps it focused and balanced. Drink 2026-2036."
- Item #: i_301934Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96EU Certified Organic
This reserve wine, composed of 97% Sangiovese and 3% Canaiolo, is partly aged in smaller French oak barrels for 20 months, which helps in polishing up such a dense style of Chianti. The 2016 vintage was exceptional for a balance of ripe aromas and crisp, dense structure, which certainly made San Giusto's job easier! While this is a wine that will improve over the next 4-8 years, you can decant for an hour or so, and pair with grilled meats or heartier vegetable dishes.
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "The 2016 Chianti Classico Riserva Le Baroncole is a beautiful wine that delivers a very convincing performance as soon as you venture your happy nose into the glass. The wine is inky dark in appearance, yet brilliant hues of dark ruby and garnet shine bright from within. There is a moment of austerity on the bouquet, with dark aromas of slate and blackberry that slowly unwind and relax to producer softer aromas of red cherry and candied plum. This wine's natural range and distance shows more latitude than you may expect. This Riserva is a real beauty, and this vintage is something truly special. The blend is 97% Sangiovese with 3% Canaiolo, and the wine ages in both barrique and tonneaux for 20 months. Some 15,600 bottles and 200 magnums were produced."
ANTONIO GALLONI 95 POINTS - "The 2016 Chianti Classico Riserva Le Baròncole is a super-elegant, perfumed wine. Classy and polished, with exceptional balance, the 2016 has so much to offer. All the best elements of the house style come together in a deep, layered Chianti Classico that oozes with class. Super-ripe dark cherry, plum, lavender, spice and menthol build into the finely knit, delineated finish. The 2016 spent 22 months in a combination of casks and smaller format French oak, mostly tonneaux. In 2016, Baròncole is especially fine. Don't miss it!" Antonio Galloni."
- Item #: i_302316Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 94Wine Enthusiast: 93 PointsFrom Tenuta San Guido, makers of the iconic Sassicaia, comes a wine made for less serious occasions, but maintains the high class of winemaking. Aged in a mix of French and American oak for 15 months, the 2017 edition is made from 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40 % Merlot.
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "Fresh herbs, cedar, black raspberries, orange peel and citrus. Very balanced and focused on the palate, thanks to cutting acidity, but with firm, chewy tannins that envelop a plethora of red fruit. Drink now."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 93 POINTS - "Subtle aromas of cedar, cassis, tobacco and a whiff of camphor slowly take shape in the glass. A blend of 60% Cabernet Sauvignon and 40% Merlot, the tightly knit, elegant palate delivers dried black cherry, red currant, blood orange and licorice while fine-grained tannins provide tight support. It closes on a coffee-bean note. -Kerin O'Keefe"