- Item #: i_305818Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92VINOUS 92 POINTS - "Crushed rose petals, mint, sweet tobacco, game, red cherry and cranberry lift from the glass in the 2010 Valtellina Superiore Sassella Riserva Stella Retica. Bright and salivating, with lively acidity laced throughout, the 2010 is an absolutely joyous wine to drink now and over the next decade. The 2010 is 100% Chiavennasca (Nebbiolo) that was given a relatively short ten days of maceration in oak vats followed by two years in cask and cement. Translucent and deeply expressive, with a long, sinewy finish, the 2010 is striking from the very first taste."
GAMBERO ROSSO GUIDE 3 GLASS AWARD
- Item #: i_301306Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 90Vinous Media: 90James Suckling: 92ORGANICALLY FARMED & PRACTCING BIODYNAMIC
25% Cabernet Franc, 25% Merlot, 16% Sangiovese, 14% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Petit Verdot, 7% Alicante and 6% Syrah
Sangiovese, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon are blended to create a soft, luscious wine that's loaded with bright cherry, rich chocolate and mocha flavors.
- Item #: i_302643Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 95+WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "The 2013 I Sodi di S. Niccolò is 85% Sangioveto (a more antique name for Sangiovese) and 15% Malvasia Nera from a single vineyard. This wine opens to a darkly saturated appearance and shows ruby, garnet and purple highlights. The bouquet is powerful but seamless at the same time with smooth transitions between dark cherry, spice, tobacco and moist clay. In the mouth, this wine shows dense extraction, but it never feels too weighed down by that mass. Instead, the freshness of the fruit and the natural acidity give the wine a bright and buoyant personality. Aged in barrique for 30 months, this is a delightful Tuscan red."
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 95+ POINTS - "The flagship 2013 I Sodi di San Niccolò is classy and polished to the core. In many vintages, the I Sodi di San Niccolò can be more overt and extroverted, but in 2003 it is a wine of cool sophistication and polish. A rush of dark red and purplish-hued stone fruits, wild flowers, mint and licorice rounds out things out. The 2013 is a stylish, captivating Sodi. All it needs is time in bottle. For my money, Sodi remains one of the world's most pedigreed under-the-radar wines."
- Item #: i_302333Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93ORGANICALLY FARMED
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "The 2013 Barolo Ginestra Vigna del Gris is another super-intriguing Barolo from Conterno-Fantino. Sweet, floral aromatics meld into a core of bright red stone fruit, plum, mint and white pepper. As usual, the aromatics are quite lifted, but in the last few years, the tannins from this site have shown a bit more sweetness. As always, though, the Vigna del Gris is the most slender and feminine of the Conterno-Fantino Barolos."
- Item #: i_305471Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94ORGANICALLY FARMED
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 94 POINTS - "The 2013 Barolo Mosconi Vigna Ped shows the broad, ample shoulders that are typical of this south-facing site in Monforte. Scents of tar, smoke, licorice, scorched earth, dark fruit and gravel fill out the wine's large frame effortlessly. Virile, dark and muscular, with huge swaths of tannin and tons of intensity, the Vigna Ped is a superb Mosconi Barolo loaded with personality. The 2013 needs time to soften, but it is impressive."
- Item #: i_302721Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Vinous Media: 97WINE ADVOCATE 94+ POINTS - "The 2015 Barolo Bricco Delle Viole is a delicate and pure expression of Nebbiolo. The wine shows its naked beauty with pride, provocatively semi-dressed in lacy, floral aromas of wild rose and pressed violets. At this young age, the wine exhibits a gentle mix of fruity and floral characteristics that merge into the bouquet with intrepidness. The fruit from this vineyard within the Barolo township has maintained its freshness and crispness despite the heat of the 2015 growing season. I think it would be a lovely match for a veal piccata and cream sauce, with parsley and capers."
The estate of GD Vajra is situated in Vergne, the highest village in the Commune of Barolo. Its vineyards are planted with Nebbiolo, Dolcetto and Barbera at heights of 350-400 meters, which result in distinctive and aromatic wines. The Vajra family is a group of dedicated, passionate winegrowers, who are also grounded and sensitive to the human role in winemaking. Their philosophy remains faithful to the traditional and authentic wines of Piemonte, and in essence they regard themselves as the instruments that enable nature and the environment full self-expression through their wines.
- Item #: i_301499Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 95+ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 95 POINTS - "The 2015 Barolo Ravera captures all the best the vintage has to offer. More importantly, it has that extra level of textural richness and sweetness that the Bricco delle Viole does not have, at least not today. Creamy and beautifully textured in the glass, the 2015 is a total winner. Bright red raspberry and pomegranate fruit notes are lifted, while expressive oral and blood orange overtones add brightness. The 2015 suggests that the Ravera might, in time, become the agship wine here. Don't miss it!"
- Item #: i_301660Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 93Vinous Media: 92#48 ON WINE SPECTATOR TOP 100 WINES OF 2019
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Pretty, featuring rose, cherry, raspberry and mint flavors, with a touch of mineral. Supple, harmonious and elegant, offering a long finish. The aftertaste is tinged with orange peel and tobacco notes. Best from 2021 through 2036. 4,500 cases made."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "This Barolo offers a more immediate approach, with lots of dark berry followed by spice, tilled earth and black truffle. The 2015 Barolo Albe pours to a medium dark color and lays out a mid-weight texture, with bright primary fruit that is expertly woven into the wine. It exposes clearly etched veins of acidity and some determinedly firm tannins. Despite the Albe's accessible personality, I recommend that you wait a few more years before popping the cork."
- Item #: i_301822Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 90-92WINERY NOTES - "The olfactory sensations are very delicate including blackberry and plum in the beginning and warmly vinous in the end. Savory minerality and acidity are in the foreground of this wine that does not hide its flavor intensity."
Aged for 8-9 months in a mix of barrique and large older oak casks.
- Item #: i_305472Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93Vinous Media: 93James Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "A beautiful sense of resolve on the first impression with perfectly ripe red cherries taking center stage on the nose. The palate has a deliciously juicy core of fresh red cherry and berry flavor and smooth, firm and sturdy tannins. Drink or hold."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "In increasing order of intensity and structure, we tasted Poderi Luigi Einaudi's Baroli from Cannubi, Costa Grimaldi (Terlo) and Bussia. This estate will soon add a new Barolo from the Monvigliero cru in Verduno, and that wine will probably come before Cannubi (at the start of the line) in terms of power when it is ready to be presented. The 2015 Barolo Cannubi is a finessed and light-bodied expression with a light and luminous personality that prizes red berry, cassis, blue flower and white licorice. The tannins are silky and tightly textured."
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 93 POINTS - "The 2015 Barolo Cannubi is super-polished and elegant. Rich and ample, in the style of the year, the 2015 has quite a bit of volume, but the aromatics and silky tannins are very clearly those of Cannubi. Rose petal, sweet red cherry, blood orange, spice and mint add lovely top notes. Today, the 2015 gives the impression it will drink well early and mature at a relatively fast pace. (AG) (2/2019)
- Item #: i_301106Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Vinous Media: 93James Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "This is very fine and pretty with berry, cherries and flowers on the nose and palate. Full body with very integrated tannins and a fresh clean finish. A beauty now. This is classy. A blend of a selection of three dozen of the best Sangiovese clones grown in Chianti Classico by the historic winemaking family of Mazzei. Drink or hold."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2010 Mix36 is a blend of 36 biotypes of Sangiovese. With its technical winemaking notes printed on the front label (harvest yields and maceration times), this wine should have special appeal with wine geeks everywhere. This expression is elegant and clean with sharp focus and bright notes of wild berry and lingering smoke. Polished tannins are backed by bright acidity. Anticipated maturity: 2015-2025."
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "One of the newer wines in the range, the Mix 36 is once again terrific in 2010. Layers of fruit emerge effortlessly from this gracious, pliant wine. Tar, smoke, spices and licorice flesh out on the radiant finish. The style is a bit supple for the year, but gorgeous all the same. It will be interesting to follow the 2010 over the coming years. Mix 36 made from 36 different Sangiovese clones planted on the property, and is aged in 500-liter barrels.
- Item #: i_301972Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 95Wine Enthusiast: 95 PointsWe're excited to announce the arrival of the 2016 Barbaresco from the historic Produttori del Barbaresco, which is a perfect introduction to the beauty of Nebbiolo, the Barbaresco terroir, and the character of this wonderful vintage. The 2016 growing season was another great year for Nebbiolo grapes in the region, creating contrasts with the open, fruit-driven 2015s. There are the powerful aromas and flavors of wild red fruits (think red currant, raspberry, and cherry), the rose and violet, and the spices like anise and white pepper, all to be expected in a classical Nebbiolo. But in 2016, there is a notable finesse in how those flavors come across the palate, and in how they interplay with the wine's structure; the firmness of the fine, enshrouding tannin and the racy spine of acidity make this a serious wine.
Delicious now with an hour decant, the 2016 Produttori del Barbaresco will continue to soften and evolve over 20 years if you choose to put a few in the cellar. This kind of wine is perfect with flavorful, complex and slightly rich dishes like mushroom risotto, ragu' (meat sauce) with polenta or pasta, roast lamb, and moderately aged cheeses (nothing too sharp).
The Produttori del Barbaresco is historically important in Piedmont, but it's also a rare example of a cooperative of growers making superlative wine. Before 1894, the Nebbiolo grapes grown in the village of Barbaresco in the north of Italy were sold to the neighboring village of Barolo. It was then that Domizio Cavazza, of the Royal Enological School of Alba, created the first cooperative with nine Barbaresco vineyards, and made this unique and pure expression of the grape from his native village. He recognized the singularity of the terroir here, and the tradition of Barbaresco was born.
125 years later, the wines from the Produttori del Barbaresco cooperative are recognized as being among the greatest expressions of the Nebbiolo grape on the planet. Fifty families, each with generations of knowledge and passion, work together using their collective 250 acres to make the numerous single vineyard reserve bottlings as well as the wine we're featuring, their flagship "classic" Barbaresco. The key distinction is that the "classic" Barbaresco is made from a selection of younger vines from various sites, and is crafted to reflect the growing season in a balanced and approachable fashion.
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The 2016 Barbaresco is a tight and beautiful wine that will require more time to unwind and soften. This beautifully balanced vintage is characterized by a tight inner core of fruit that underlines the graceful aging capacity of these wines. The 2016 is shaping up to be one destined for long cellar aging. Now in its youth, the wine offers wild berry, rose and licorice aromas."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS; CELLAR SELECTION - "Enticing aromas of violet, woodland berry, loose vineyard soil, wild mint and a hint of spearmint shape the intensely fragrant nose. The tense, young palate is still nervous but already boasts finesse, showing wild raspberry, crunchy red cherry, white pepper and star anise. Firm, refined tannins and racy acidity give it a linear, almost austere elegance, while bright acidity keeps it focused and balanced. Drink 2026-2036."
- Item #: i_302817Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 93 POINTS - "The 2013 Barolo Arborina is another big, powerful wine. Ample and rich, with broad shoulders, the 2013 shows a much more intense side of Arborina than most wines from this site. The flavors are dark, heady and intense, all sensations that are enhanced by the wine's voluptuous texture and overall feel. It will be interesting to see if the 2013 closes down in bottle. Today, it is especially giving for a young wine."
- Item #: i_302967Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 95Vinous Media: 93PRACTICING ORGANIC
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The Fausoni zone provides sandy and clay soils, and you get more power here than from the other locations. These vines are 35 to 40 years old, and the 2016 Barbaresco Fausoni lets fly those menthol notes that are so characteristic of this vineyard in Neive. Slightly more balsamic in its aromatic profile than the other Barbarescos, this expression of Nebbiolo, sitting sur lies for two years, shows a very different tannic feel in a wine that offers surprising freshness and purity. Those minty Neive notes, its direct and linear nature, plus the very precise and sharply managed tannins make this cru a winner in my book. Some 6,000 bottles were made."
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "Crushed raspberry, rose petal, orange peel and mint lift from the glass in the 2016 Barbaresco Fausoni. Gracious and exquisitely beautiful, the 2016 is a wine of total class. Perfectly ripe, sweet tannins add to an impression of finesse. The 2016 is vivid, translucent and incredibly expressive, with a slightly darker tonality of fruit than the 2015 tasted alongside it."
- Item #: i_301295Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 91CERTIFIED BIODYNAMIC
The estate’s 40 acres of vineyards are certified organic (ICEA) and certified biodynamic (Demeter), surrounded by olive trees and nearly 200 acres of forestland. (The farm produces organic olive oil and organic honey, too.)
Excellent concentration, which is already visible in its deep ruby colour with crimson reflections, an indication of youth. The intense bouquet is reminiscent of spices and ripe fruit. Rich and full bodied on the palate with intense fruity aromas which give the wine its excellent enduring characteristics. The fresh structure is supported by the good content of mature, balanced tannins.
A blend of Sangiovese, Merlot and Syrah
- Item #: i_305379Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94+ANTONIO GALLONI 94+ POINTS - "The 2014 Barbaresco Masseria is superb. Dark, ample and structured, the 2014 captures all the pedigree of this important Barbaresco vintage. As always, the Vietti's Masseria is a wine that has Barolo-like structure and depth, partly because it is vinified and aged pretty much along the same lines as those wines. I expect the 2014 will require at least a handful of years to shed some tannin and start showing some of its inherent inner sweetness. There is so much to look forward to. Bright acids and a firm spine of tannin give the red-toned fruit energy and vivacity throughout."