- Item #: i_302392Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 90PRACTICING ORGANIC
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 90 POINTS- - "The 2013 Barolo is round, supple and inviting. Sweet red cherry, plum, spice and tobacco notes infuse this soft, approachable Barolo. Silky tannins add to the wine's considerable appeal. The 2013 will drink well with minimal cellaring, but this wine also has a way of aging effortlessly for years. Vineyard sources are Rocchettevino, Pernanno, Cerretta and Liste."
- Item #: i_305818Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92VINOUS 92 POINTS - "Crushed rose petals, mint, sweet tobacco, game, red cherry and cranberry lift from the glass in the 2010 Valtellina Superiore Sassella Riserva Stella Retica. Bright and salivating, with lively acidity laced throughout, the 2010 is an absolutely joyous wine to drink now and over the next decade. The 2010 is 100% Chiavennasca (Nebbiolo) that was given a relatively short ten days of maceration in oak vats followed by two years in cask and cement. Translucent and deeply expressive, with a long, sinewy finish, the 2010 is striking from the very first taste."
GAMBERO ROSSO GUIDE 3 GLASS AWARD
- Item #: i_301306Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 90Vinous Media: 90James Suckling: 92ORGANICALLY FARMED & PRACTCING BIODYNAMIC
25% Cabernet Franc, 25% Merlot, 16% Sangiovese, 14% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Petit Verdot, 7% Alicante and 6% Syrah
Sangiovese, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon are blended to create a soft, luscious wine that's loaded with bright cherry, rich chocolate and mocha flavors.
- Item #: i_302643Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 95+WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "The 2013 I Sodi di S. Niccolò is 85% Sangioveto (a more antique name for Sangiovese) and 15% Malvasia Nera from a single vineyard. This wine opens to a darkly saturated appearance and shows ruby, garnet and purple highlights. The bouquet is powerful but seamless at the same time with smooth transitions between dark cherry, spice, tobacco and moist clay. In the mouth, this wine shows dense extraction, but it never feels too weighed down by that mass. Instead, the freshness of the fruit and the natural acidity give the wine a bright and buoyant personality. Aged in barrique for 30 months, this is a delightful Tuscan red."
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 95+ POINTS - "The flagship 2013 I Sodi di San Niccolò is classy and polished to the core. In many vintages, the I Sodi di San Niccolò can be more overt and extroverted, but in 2003 it is a wine of cool sophistication and polish. A rush of dark red and purplish-hued stone fruits, wild flowers, mint and licorice rounds out things out. The 2013 is a stylish, captivating Sodi. All it needs is time in bottle. For my money, Sodi remains one of the world's most pedigreed under-the-radar wines."
- Item #: i_305888Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 94Vinous Media: 93WINE SPECTATOR INSIDER 94 POINTS - "Purity and intensity mark this supple, complex red, bursting with black cherry, black currant, plum, graphite, sanguine and tobacco notes that show an underlying woodsy accent. The well-integrated structure lends support as this plays out on the long finish. Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. Best from 2021 through 2035.—B.S."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Chianti Classico impresses for the heightened level of vibrant freshness and aromatic precision that distinguishes it in a large playing field. Proprietor Maurizia di Napoli tells me that the 2016 growing season was not without its ups and downs. Farming was difficult, and not all sites came to ripeness with the same consistency because it was cooler toward the end of the growing season. Castello dei Rampolla avoids the use of sulfites in winemaking. However, these results are stunning, especially as this is positioned as a more affordable wine. The blend is 85% Sangiovese, 12% Cabernet Sauvignon and 3% Merlot."
- Item #: i_302333Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93ORGANICALLY FARMED
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "The 2013 Barolo Ginestra Vigna del Gris is another super-intriguing Barolo from Conterno-Fantino. Sweet, floral aromatics meld into a core of bright red stone fruit, plum, mint and white pepper. As usual, the aromatics are quite lifted, but in the last few years, the tannins from this site have shown a bit more sweetness. As always, though, the Vigna del Gris is the most slender and feminine of the Conterno-Fantino Barolos."
- Item #: i_305471Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94ORGANICALLY FARMED
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 94 POINTS - "The 2013 Barolo Mosconi Vigna Ped shows the broad, ample shoulders that are typical of this south-facing site in Monforte. Scents of tar, smoke, licorice, scorched earth, dark fruit and gravel fill out the wine's large frame effortlessly. Virile, dark and muscular, with huge swaths of tannin and tons of intensity, the Vigna Ped is a superb Mosconi Barolo loaded with personality. The 2013 needs time to soften, but it is impressive."
- Item #: i_302998Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 94Vinous Media: 94+Decanter: 94 PointsWine Enthusiast: 97 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 97 POINTS - "Delicately scented, this offers underbrush, pressed violet and wild berry aromas. It’s medium-bodied and loaded with elegance, delivering crushed raspberry, Morello cherry, licorice and a hint of pipe tobacco set against taut, refined tannins. Bright acidity provides balance. It’s a bit austere at this stage but will develop beautifully."
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 96 POINTS - "Very deep red. Flinty, floral red cherry and underbrush on the enticing, very pure, precise nose. Then silky and suave, with ripe red cherry, underbrush and savory spices lingering nicely on the long creamy finish. Another classic, outstanding Brunello from Costanti, who has made a few in his time.
DECANTER 94 POINTS - "2013 was much cooler than preceding vintages, and Andrea waited until the beginning of October to harvest. He says it was a good year with plenty of structure, but felt it didn't have the longevity to merit making a Riserva. Indeed, rather than a voluble powerhouse this is an understated beauty. Tight and linear with lifted florals and a hint of orange, it has mouthwatering acidity and superb freshness, and will appeal to those who prize finesse."
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Macerated cherry fruit holds the center of this elegant red, accented by grass, tobacco and earth flavors. Firm yet supple and elegant, this lingers with a touch of thyme."
JANCIS ROBINSON 18/20 POINTS - "Lustrous ruby. Restrained power on the nose. Bags of finely grained tannins lift lively cherry fruit. Medium bodied yet mouth-filling. Muscular and refined. Easily one of the top wines of this vintage."
- Item #: i_302189Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 97James Suckling: 98PRACTICING ORGANIC
JAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS - "Extremely perfumed, showing lots of rose, lavender and dark-berry character. Full body with intense density and chewiness that gives the wine great structure. Lots of flavor and focus at the finish. Needs five to six years to finish."
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 97 POINTS - "The 2015 Barolo Gavarini Chiniera is ample, full-bodied and rich on the palate, and yet retains its explosive floral lift and brightness, two of the signatures that are such calling cards of Barolos from this Monforte site. A rush of sweet red cherry, blood orange, chalk, mint and rose petal build in a super-expressive Barolo that hits so many high notes effortlessly. The Gavarini Chiniera is one of the wines of the vintage. Don't miss it."
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "Gianluca Grasso did not make this wine in 2014, but in 2015, he found the vintage he was looking for. The 2015 Barolo Gavarini Chiniera is perfectly wonderful. The wine combines power with elegance, showing long determination as it wraps smoothly over the palate. The mature tannins are well integrated within a profound, ripe and round quality of dark fruit. That juicy and succulent core shows graceful notes of violet, licorice, cola, moist earth and white truffle. Grasso knew that this would be a great vintage and he nailed it."
- Item #: i_302258Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 90James Suckling: 92JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "Aromas of licorice and dark berries with hints of spices and cherries. Full body, tight and mildly chewy tannins and a flavorful finish. Drink or hold. Better in 2020."
GAMBERO ROSSO GUIDE - 3 BICCHIERI (3 GLASS AWARD)
- Item #: i_301926Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 96Wine Spectator: 96Vinous Media: 96WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "I tasted this wine over two sittings, one at the winery and one at my home office a few weeks later. Although I can't claim any extraordinary differences between the two sessions, I noticed a few minimal shifts that are essential to understanding the wine's future aging ability. The 2016 Barbaresco starts off slow at first, showing a small margin of aromatic evolution in the glass. But come back two hours later, and you can almost hear the soft sounds of the symphony playing just below the surface. The 2016 vintage is characterized by the solid intensity and firmness of its aromas, which transcend fruit and veer toward balsamic herb, licorice, tar and smoke instead. The tannins offer a moment of sweetness and softness, before you are aware of their undeniable firmness. In all, there is a certain glossiness or satiny quality to the mouthfeel that underlines the wine's carefully crafted integration. I would describe this as a classic and also a somewhat austere Barbaresco that fully deserves extra cellar time to stretch those tight muscles and grow in volume. This wine will award those who wait."
WINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS - "This gorgeous red evokes rose, strawberry, raspberry and cherry fruit, shaded by tobacco, tar and wild thyme notes. Pure, sleek and intense, with a firm base of tannins and vibrant acidity for support. This should evolve beautifully. Be patient.
- Item #: i_301822Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 90-92WINERY NOTES - "The olfactory sensations are very delicate including blackberry and plum in the beginning and warmly vinous in the end. Savory minerality and acidity are in the foreground of this wine that does not hide its flavor intensity."
Aged for 8-9 months in a mix of barrique and large older oak casks.
- Item #: i_301104Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98Vinous Media: 95The Antinori family of Florence needs little introduction and is one of the world's oldest and most distinguished wine producers. The Antinori’s respect traditions yet possess a dynamic and innovative spirit. Guado al Tasso is the flagship wine of the estate, showcasing amazing power, elegance, and balance, which make it one of the most sought after wines in the world.
WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "This stunning vintage of this landmark wine marks a slight adjustment to the blend. The 2016 Bolgheri Superiore Guado Al Tasso is no longer made with Petit Verdot. The blend is now 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Merlot and now 20% Cabernet Franc. This small change does not go unnoticed, as this wine is absolutely seamless now—like the finest Asian silk fabric. That profound textural softness and suppleness changes the way the wine smells and tastes, with hints of momentary sweetness that are more tactile than anything else. Generally speaking, the 2016 vintage offers more elegance (slightly less concentration) and a hair more freshness compared to the 2015 edition. When I tasted this wine, the bouquet was still timid, but it will no doubt become more expressive and open as this beautiful wine continues forward along its aging trajectory. Some 120,000 bottles were made, a remarkable feat considering the extreme quality on offer."
- Item #: i_305472Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93Vinous Media: 93James Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "A beautiful sense of resolve on the first impression with perfectly ripe red cherries taking center stage on the nose. The palate has a deliciously juicy core of fresh red cherry and berry flavor and smooth, firm and sturdy tannins. Drink or hold."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "In increasing order of intensity and structure, we tasted Poderi Luigi Einaudi's Baroli from Cannubi, Costa Grimaldi (Terlo) and Bussia. This estate will soon add a new Barolo from the Monvigliero cru in Verduno, and that wine will probably come before Cannubi (at the start of the line) in terms of power when it is ready to be presented. The 2015 Barolo Cannubi is a finessed and light-bodied expression with a light and luminous personality that prizes red berry, cassis, blue flower and white licorice. The tannins are silky and tightly textured."
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 93 POINTS - "The 2015 Barolo Cannubi is super-polished and elegant. Rich and ample, in the style of the year, the 2015 has quite a bit of volume, but the aromatics and silky tannins are very clearly those of Cannubi. Rose petal, sweet red cherry, blood orange, spice and mint add lovely top notes. Today, the 2015 gives the impression it will drink well early and mature at a relatively fast pace. (AG) (2/2019)
- Item #: i_301106Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Vinous Media: 93James Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "This is very fine and pretty with berry, cherries and flowers on the nose and palate. Full body with very integrated tannins and a fresh clean finish. A beauty now. This is classy. A blend of a selection of three dozen of the best Sangiovese clones grown in Chianti Classico by the historic winemaking family of Mazzei. Drink or hold."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2010 Mix36 is a blend of 36 biotypes of Sangiovese. With its technical winemaking notes printed on the front label (harvest yields and maceration times), this wine should have special appeal with wine geeks everywhere. This expression is elegant and clean with sharp focus and bright notes of wild berry and lingering smoke. Polished tannins are backed by bright acidity. Anticipated maturity: 2015-2025."
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "One of the newer wines in the range, the Mix 36 is once again terrific in 2010. Layers of fruit emerge effortlessly from this gracious, pliant wine. Tar, smoke, spices and licorice flesh out on the radiant finish. The style is a bit supple for the year, but gorgeous all the same. It will be interesting to follow the 2010 over the coming years. Mix 36 made from 36 different Sangiovese clones planted on the property, and is aged in 500-liter barrels.
- Item #: i_301452Bottle Size: 3LVinous Media: 97ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 97 POINTS - "The flagship 2014 Le Pergole Torte possesses striking depth, nuance and pliancy, all in the midweight, slightly slender style of the vintage. Sweet red cherry, plum, cinnamon, dried flowers, mint, cinnamon and pomegranate infuse this super-expressive, sexy Pergole Torte."
Montevertine is situated in the heart of the Chianti district about halfway between Florence and Siena, specifically 3 kilometers or so south of Radda in Chianti. Documents attest to the fact that the hilltop hamlet of Montevertine was first inhabited in the 11th century as a rural defensive fortress. There are traces of the original construction on the site today. Sergio Manetti acquired Montevertine in 1967 as a vacation home for his family. Once there, Signor Manetti planted two hectares of vineyards and built a small cantina with the idea of producing some wine for family and friends. The first vintage produced and bottled under the supervision of Signor Manetti was 1971 and was received with great praise for its quality. Shortly thereafter, Signor Manetti abandoned his principal activity to devote himself to producing wine at his magnificent estate. Having recognized the importance of the Sangiovese grape, Signor Manetti crafted his wines with an almost exclusive reliance on that grape variety. By 1981, due to Signor Manetti’s refusal to incorporate Trebbiano into the Montevertine blend, Montevertine left the Chianti Classico consortium, thereby forgoing the Chianti Classico denomination. In time the consortium recognized the wisdom of Manetti’s stance but Montevertine remains outside the consortium, simply labeling its wines “Rosso di Toscana”. Because of these circumstances, Montevertine is frequently, but erroneously, included in the category of “super-Tuscan” wine. In fact, Montevertine’s policy of strict reliance on Sangiovese with a small complement of Colorino and Canaiolo is in direct contradiction to the approach of the “super-Tuscan” group of wines which purposely include non-local grape varieties like Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah and Merlot in their blends. Despite the formal lack of the appellation, Montevertine is one of the rare examples of a true Chianti Classico.
- Item #: i_301972Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 95Wine Enthusiast: 95 PointsWe're excited to announce the arrival of the 2016 Barbaresco from the historic Produttori del Barbaresco, which is a perfect introduction to the beauty of Nebbiolo, the Barbaresco terroir, and the character of this wonderful vintage. The 2016 growing season was another great year for Nebbiolo grapes in the region, creating contrasts with the open, fruit-driven 2015s. There are the powerful aromas and flavors of wild red fruits (think red currant, raspberry, and cherry), the rose and violet, and the spices like anise and white pepper, all to be expected in a classical Nebbiolo. But in 2016, there is a notable finesse in how those flavors come across the palate, and in how they interplay with the wine's structure; the firmness of the fine, enshrouding tannin and the racy spine of acidity make this a serious wine.
Delicious now with an hour decant, the 2016 Produttori del Barbaresco will continue to soften and evolve over 20 years if you choose to put a few in the cellar. This kind of wine is perfect with flavorful, complex and slightly rich dishes like mushroom risotto, ragu' (meat sauce) with polenta or pasta, roast lamb, and moderately aged cheeses (nothing too sharp).
The Produttori del Barbaresco is historically important in Piedmont, but it's also a rare example of a cooperative of growers making superlative wine. Before 1894, the Nebbiolo grapes grown in the village of Barbaresco in the north of Italy were sold to the neighboring village of Barolo. It was then that Domizio Cavazza, of the Royal Enological School of Alba, created the first cooperative with nine Barbaresco vineyards, and made this unique and pure expression of the grape from his native village. He recognized the singularity of the terroir here, and the tradition of Barbaresco was born.
125 years later, the wines from the Produttori del Barbaresco cooperative are recognized as being among the greatest expressions of the Nebbiolo grape on the planet. Fifty families, each with generations of knowledge and passion, work together using their collective 250 acres to make the numerous single vineyard reserve bottlings as well as the wine we're featuring, their flagship "classic" Barbaresco. The key distinction is that the "classic" Barbaresco is made from a selection of younger vines from various sites, and is crafted to reflect the growing season in a balanced and approachable fashion.
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The 2016 Barbaresco is a tight and beautiful wine that will require more time to unwind and soften. This beautifully balanced vintage is characterized by a tight inner core of fruit that underlines the graceful aging capacity of these wines. The 2016 is shaping up to be one destined for long cellar aging. Now in its youth, the wine offers wild berry, rose and licorice aromas."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS; CELLAR SELECTION - "Enticing aromas of violet, woodland berry, loose vineyard soil, wild mint and a hint of spearmint shape the intensely fragrant nose. The tense, young palate is still nervous but already boasts finesse, showing wild raspberry, crunchy red cherry, white pepper and star anise. Firm, refined tannins and racy acidity give it a linear, almost austere elegance, while bright acidity keeps it focused and balanced. Drink 2026-2036."
- Item #: i_302817Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 93 POINTS - "The 2013 Barolo Arborina is another big, powerful wine. Ample and rich, with broad shoulders, the 2013 shows a much more intense side of Arborina than most wines from this site. The flavors are dark, heady and intense, all sensations that are enhanced by the wine's voluptuous texture and overall feel. It will be interesting to see if the 2013 closes down in bottle. Today, it is especially giving for a young wine."
- Item #: i_305558Bottle Size: 1.5LVinous Media: 98ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 98 POINTS - "A wine of extraordinary finesse, the 2013 Percarlo is utterly magnificent. Creamy and beautifully layered in the glass, the 2013 speaks to finesse more than the power and explosiveness that is often found here. With time in the glass, the mid-palate fleshes out and the flavors gain in intensity and darkness. When young, Percarlo is often forbiddingly tannic, but the gradual move towards larger format barrels and casks has, among other things, given the wine much more textural elegance. I can't wait to see how it ages. This is one of the most complete and strikingly beautiful wines of the vintage."
- Item #: i_303563Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97Vinous Media: 98ORGANICALLY FARMED
ANTONIO GALLONI, VINOUS 98 POINTS - "The 2015 Percarlo, the estate's 100% Sangiovese, towers in the glass with huge, dark fruit to match its powerful, vertical structure. Ample and expansive on the palate, with huge textural depth, the 2015 is a total stunner. The darker, more muscular side of Sangiovese emerges in this gorgeous, absolutely stunning wine. Black cherry, lavender, spice and smoke overtones fill out the wine's big frame effortlessly. Proprietor Luca Martini di Cigala aged the 2015 in a combination of cask and tonneau. The 2015 Percarlo is a riveting wine readers will not want to miss."
WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "The 2015 Percarlo is a sassy and bright wine with great purity and definition. b>This is the full package for all you Sangiovese lovers out there. The wine is round and slightly soft in the middle, owing a lot to that 2015 sunshine. A deeply etched and sophisticated expression, the Percarlo takes a little while to open in the glass: This review is based on my impressions from two tasting, one right after the bottle was opened and a second about 12 hours later. Ultimately, the wine presented a 360-degree perspective onto Sangiovese, with the freshness, the softness and the succulence that you are looking for in the grape and plenty of those variety-pure aromas of purple berry, wild rose and tilled earth. The way the wine impacts the palate is of particular interest because you get fullness and extraction that is all magically rendered light and buoyant thanks to that crisp acidity."
- Item #: i_302967Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 95Vinous Media: 93PRACTICING ORGANIC
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The Fausoni zone provides sandy and clay soils, and you get more power here than from the other locations. These vines are 35 to 40 years old, and the 2016 Barbaresco Fausoni lets fly those menthol notes that are so characteristic of this vineyard in Neive. Slightly more balsamic in its aromatic profile than the other Barbarescos, this expression of Nebbiolo, sitting sur lies for two years, shows a very different tannic feel in a wine that offers surprising freshness and purity. Those minty Neive notes, its direct and linear nature, plus the very precise and sharply managed tannins make this cru a winner in my book. Some 6,000 bottles were made."
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "Crushed raspberry, rose petal, orange peel and mint lift from the glass in the 2016 Barbaresco Fausoni. Gracious and exquisitely beautiful, the 2016 is a wine of total class. Perfectly ripe, sweet tannins add to an impression of finesse. The 2016 is vivid, translucent and incredibly expressive, with a slightly darker tonality of fruit than the 2015 tasted alongside it."
- Item #: i_301295Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 91CERTIFIED BIODYNAMIC
The estate’s 40 acres of vineyards are certified organic (ICEA) and certified biodynamic (Demeter), surrounded by olive trees and nearly 200 acres of forestland. (The farm produces organic olive oil and organic honey, too.)
Excellent concentration, which is already visible in its deep ruby colour with crimson reflections, an indication of youth. The intense bouquet is reminiscent of spices and ripe fruit. Rich and full bodied on the palate with intense fruity aromas which give the wine its excellent enduring characteristics. The fresh structure is supported by the good content of mature, balanced tannins.
A blend of Sangiovese, Merlot and Syrah
- Item #: i_301337Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 96ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "This tasting of the 2013 Barolo Lazzarito confirms just how far the wine has come along in recent vintages. Creamy, ample and potent, the 2013 offers an intriguing interplay of aromatics, fruit and structural underpinnings. Gravel, smoke, tar and dark fruit - all signatures of this Serralunga site - are front and center, but it is the wine's overall balance that is most impressive. Scorched earth, leather, smoke and graphite are some of the many notes that reapper on the finish. The 2013 is a real stunner."