- Item #: i_305321Bottle Size: 750ml80% Nerello Mascalese, 20% Nerello Cappuccio
Benanti is a Hi-Time staple winery, which owes a lot to their minimal-interventionist style, which focuses on an honest expression of the Nerello grapes in this unique terrain.
WINE ENTHUSIAST - "Truffle, crushed mint and red berry aromas mingle with a whiff of wild rose. The aromas carry through to the...racy palate along with white pepper and a citrus note. A hint of oyster shell gives it a tangy finish."
- Item #: i_301755Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96James Suckling: 98JAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS - "A very beautiful and thoughtful Testamatta with aromas of earth, terra cotta, black tea, and lavender. Full-bodied, very layered and extremely polished with superb, soft tannins. Racy and very long. Muscular and formed but very, very balanced. Gorgeous richness and depth. Shows balance and wonder. Try in 2020."
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS
Bibi Graetz, a respected artist born of Italian and Norwegian parents, started Testmatta (meaning “hot head” in Italian) in the late 90’s just outside of Florence in the renaissance town of Fiesole. At the time his family was faced with losing the lease contracts on some untended old Sangiovese vines that surround his home at the Castello de Vincigliata, or to take the time to recover the vineyard and produce wines. Naturally Bibi saw an artistic opportunity, and chose to begin production with his first vintage in 2000.
Bibi is known for his artwork throughout Europe, and each label is adorned with his personal work.
Testamatta Toscana is his Super Tuscan offering, though breaking a bit with new tradition for Super Tuscans, this wine is 100% Sangiovese. Bibi wanted to see what could be done with Sangiovese with judicious use of new French oak, and the result is the creation of a cult classic. Bibi’s Testamatta Toscana IGT will lay down for quite some time.
- Item #: i_302194Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97BIODYNAMICALLY FARMED
WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "This vintage is profound and beautiful. The 2016 Cabernet Franc Duemani shows deep layers of fruit, with levels of crunchiness and complexity that make it memorable. The mouthfeel is silky, long and rich. The maturity of the fruit here is perfect. In terms of appearance, the wine is dark and impenetrable. All around, this Duemani is an extremely tight, focused and elegant expression of Cabernet Franc."
Fiercely independent and a man of mesmerizing intensity, Luca D’Attoma is one of the best winemakers in Italy. He consults with multiple clients including Le Macchiole, Tua Rita and Fattoria Le Pupille. Duemani is his personal property and winemaking follows his strict biodynamic philosophy.Azienda Agricola Duemani is the ownership property of superstar winemaker Luca d’Attoma (formerly of Tua Rita, and currently at Le Macchiole, pictured above). This winery is the perfect example of what happens when a world-class enologist finally has the chance to buy his own property. Starting completely from scratch, Luca leveled these rolling hillsides in Riparbella, just next to Bolgheri, and planted his fields mainly with his first love: Cabernet Franc. The passion Luca puts into the wines is obvious, as the project has been entirely organic/ biodynamic from the first day. With no neighboring properties, his vineyards are totally isolated from conventional farming. His vineyard density is unusually high, resulting in fruit of exceptional quality The estate is certified biodynamic by Demeter (http://www.demeter.net). As proponents of the principles of biodynamic farming, the cultivation and care of the vineyard’s soil is of the utmost importance to Luca and Elena. They employ various practices throughout the year to stimulate soil vitality and health which in turn provides beneficial nutrients and oxygen to the vines.
- Item #: i_301104Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98The Antinori family of Florence needs little introduction and is one of the world's oldest and most distinguished wine producers. The Antinori’s respect traditions yet possess a dynamic and innovative spirit. Guado al Tasso is the flagship wine of the estate, showcasing amazing power, elegance, and balance, which make it one of the most sought after wines in the world.
WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "This stunning vintage of this landmark wine marks a slight adjustment to the blend. The 2016 Bolgheri Superiore Guado Al Tasso is no longer made with Petit Verdot. The blend is now 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Merlot and now 20% Cabernet Franc. This small change does not go unnoticed, as this wine is absolutely seamless now—like the finest Asian silk fabric. That profound textural softness and suppleness changes the way the wine smells and tastes, with hints of momentary sweetness that are more tactile than anything else. Generally speaking, the 2016 vintage offers more elegance (slightly less concentration) and a hair more freshness compared to the 2015 edition. When I tasted this wine, the bouquet was still timid, but it will no doubt become more expressive and open as this beautiful wine continues forward along its aging trajectory. Some 120,000 bottles were made, a remarkable feat considering the extreme quality on offer."
- Item #: i_301557Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94James Suckling: 9490% Sangiovese, 10% Canaiolo & Colorino
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "This is packed with black currant, black cherry, floral and juniper aromas and flavors. The tannins are assertive, matched to bracing acidity and a touch of heat. A bit boisterous today, but this should settle down nicely over time."
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "A fresh and bright red with sliced-orange and black-cherry aromas and flavors. Medium body. Tight and compact. Long and flavorful finish. Will age beautifully. "
- Item #: i_302315Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95James Suckling: 97JAMES SUCKLING 97 POINTS - "This shows fantastic depth and intensity. Full-bodied, very balanced and beautiful. A rich and powerful wine. Watch this. Better than the 2015. A blend of cabernet sauvignon and petit Verdot."
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The 2016 Sapaio shows abundant dark chocolate and spice all balanced out by the rich sweetness of the fruit. Blackberry, plum and dark currant emerge from the bouquet. The harvest required that much of the fruit for this wine come from vineyards in Bibbona (outside the Bolgheri appellation), and that's why this wine is classified as a Toscana IGT. The results are well-balanced, fragrant and absolutely seamless. Some 20,000 bottles were made."
- Item #: i_301972Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 95Wine Enthusiast: 95 PointsWe're excited to announce the arrival of the 2016 Barbaresco from the historic Produttori del Barbaresco, which is a perfect introduction to the beauty of Nebbiolo, the Barbaresco terroir, and the character of this wonderful vintage. The 2016 growing season was another great year for Nebbiolo grapes in the region, creating contrasts with the open, fruit-driven 2015s. There are the powerful aromas and flavors of wild red fruits (think red currant, raspberry, and cherry), the rose and violet, and the spices like anise and white pepper, all to be expected in a classical Nebbiolo. But in 2016, there is a notable finesse in how those flavors come across the palate, and in how they interplay with the wine's structure; the firmness of the fine, enshrouding tannin and the racy spine of acidity make this a serious wine.
Delicious now with an hour decant, the 2016 Produttori del Barbaresco will continue to soften and evolve over 20 years if you choose to put a few in the cellar. This kind of wine is perfect with flavorful, complex and slightly rich dishes like mushroom risotto, ragu' (meat sauce) with polenta or pasta, roast lamb, and moderately aged cheeses (nothing too sharp).
The Produttori del Barbaresco is historically important in Piedmont, but it's also a rare example of a cooperative of growers making superlative wine. Before 1894, the Nebbiolo grapes grown in the village of Barbaresco in the north of Italy were sold to the neighboring village of Barolo. It was then that Domizio Cavazza, of the Royal Enological School of Alba, created the first cooperative with nine Barbaresco vineyards, and made this unique and pure expression of the grape from his native village. He recognized the singularity of the terroir here, and the tradition of Barbaresco was born.
125 years later, the wines from the Produttori del Barbaresco cooperative are recognized as being among the greatest expressions of the Nebbiolo grape on the planet. Fifty families, each with generations of knowledge and passion, work together using their collective 250 acres to make the numerous single vineyard reserve bottlings as well as the wine we're featuring, their flagship "classic" Barbaresco. The key distinction is that the "classic" Barbaresco is made from a selection of younger vines from various sites, and is crafted to reflect the growing season in a balanced and approachable fashion.
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The 2016 Barbaresco is a tight and beautiful wine that will require more time to unwind and soften. This beautifully balanced vintage is characterized by a tight inner core of fruit that underlines the graceful aging capacity of these wines. The 2016 is shaping up to be one destined for long cellar aging. Now in its youth, the wine offers wild berry, rose and licorice aromas."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS; CELLAR SELECTION - "Enticing aromas of violet, woodland berry, loose vineyard soil, wild mint and a hint of spearmint shape the intensely fragrant nose. The tense, young palate is still nervous but already boasts finesse, showing wild raspberry, crunchy red cherry, white pepper and star anise. Firm, refined tannins and racy acidity give it a linear, almost austere elegance, while bright acidity keeps it focused and balanced. Drink 2026-2036."
- Item #: i_301238Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "The 2016 Bolgheri Superiore Ornellaia is a wine of extreme complexity and precision. It offers monumental depth with profound layers of black fruit, coffee, licorice and baking chocolate. I tasted this 2016 vintage beside the less-impactful 2015 vintage (which was reviewed last year). These two editions are very different when compared side to side, and this 2016 release is clearly superior in terms of the quality, clarity and intensity of its offerings. This Ornellaia delivers glossy shine and a polished texture that segues to important richness, concentration and textural fiber. It wraps thickly over the palate, imparting waves of sweet dark fruit and dark spice that linger for many long minutes. This beautiful wine is hitting the market now, but collectors will want to put it straight into their cellars for safekeeping."
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 96+ POINTS - "Just bottled, the 2016 Ornellaia is a dense, powerful wine. Naturally, the 2016 is just at the beginning of its life, but I am struck by how polished the tannins are for such a young wine. Ornellaia is at its best starting around age ten, but there is little doubt the 2016 is a hugely promising wine. Black cherry, chocolate, plum, new leather and a range of spice notes all build into a veritable crescendo of aromas, flavors and textures." - Antonio Galloni (Mar 2019)
WINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS - "Black currant, plum, cedar, lead pencil and toasty, spicy elements highlight this intense red. Muscular tannins line the extended finish, leaving a peppery impression. The parts are all there but need time to integrate. Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. Best from 2023 through 2043. From Italy." — B.S. (May 22, 2019) Tenuta dell'Ornellaia was founded in 1981, in a beautiful, unspoiled part of Tuscany. From the outset, their mission was to produce outstanding wines. Since then passion and dedication, coupled with a unique terroir and an extraordinary microclimate, has brought the Tenuta dell'Ornellaia's prestigious labels great success and recognition as one of the most important wineries in the world.
- Item #: i_302316Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94+James Suckling: 95From Tenuta San Guido, makers of the iconic Sassicaia, comes a wine made for less serious occasions, but maintains the high class of winemaking. Aged in a mix of French and American oak for 15 months.
JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "This is extremely perfumed with aromas of lavender, cinnamon, blackberries, bark and blackcurrants. Full-bodied, extremely refined and polished. Gorgeous fruit and balance. Best ever bottling of this pretty wine from the producers of Sassicaia? Drink or hold."
WINE ADVOCATE 94+ POINTS - "This wine is showing exceptionally well in this classic vintage. The 2016 Guidalberto (Cabernet Sauvignon and a smaller percentage of Merlot) opens to a full and generous bouquet and a beautifully rich and velvety appearance. This edition of Tenuta San Guido's mid-level wine offers a bigger aromatic profile, more texture and more volume as well. Dark cherry and blackberry segue to spice, tar, leather and sweet fruit at the end. The mouthfeel is elegantly shaped, silky and nuanced. This may well be the best vintage of Guidalberto I have yet to taste—and you can get this wine at a great price too."