German wine is primarily produced in the west of Germany, along the river Rhine and its tributaries, with the oldest plantations going back to the Roman era. Approximately 60 percent of the German wine production is situated in the federal state of Rhineland-Palatinate, where 6 of the 13 regions (Anbaugebiete) are situated. Germany as the eighth largest wine-producing country in the world. White wine accounts for almost two thirds of the total production. Among enthusiasts, Germany's reputation is primarily based on wines made from the Riesling grape variety, which at its best is used for aromatic, fruity and elegant white wines that range from very crisp and dry to well-balanced, sweet and of enormous aromatic concentration.
- Item #: i_318005Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR - 92 POINTS Offers aromas of quince and honey, with the quince note continuing on the palate and combining with nervy citrus accents. Very suave and smooth, showing enough acidity for balance and dense flavors that carry through the finish. Drink now through 2031. 90 cases imported. — AZ
MOSEL FINE WINES 93 POINTS "The 2017er Urziger Wurzgarten Spatlese “Urgluck” was harvested at a whopping 96 Oechsle, i.e. well into Auslese category. It delivers a captivating and elegant nose of flowers, minty herbs and candied grapefruit. These are joined by riper scents of whipped cream and vineyard peach as the wine gains from airing in the glass. This delightful Auslese in all but name shows quite some creamy and ripe fruits on the palate yet remains at all time very delicate and refined. A touch of exotic fruits and honey make for a smooth and juicy feel in the long finish. A hint of zest comes through in the after-taste. This is a gorgeous Auslese-style wine in the making! 2027-2047."
Terry Theise note "Probably the masterpiece of their vintage, but not an “easy” wine. Extreme sassafrass, and very stony, but a hyssop-y spice trails along a subtle vein of fruit. Mosel at its most masculine, but hugely impressive, with its serious “resting face.”"
- Item #: i_331138Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS An elderflower aroma draws you into this silky white, offering flavors of ruby grapefruit, blood orange and nectarine. Rose petal hints add to the complexity of the mineral-infused finish. Drink now through 2023. 375 cases made, 125 cases imported. — AZ
Hans Wirsching's lovely dry Scheurebe comes from the Iphofer region of Franken. Bottled in the old fashioned bochsbeutel.
- Item #: i_342371Bottle Size: 750mlTerroir-driven Chardonnay transplanted from Puligny-Montrachet
Very fine nose of ripe citrus notes, pears, brioche and light oak. On the palate the wine is very elegant, juicy and tasty. The oak flavors are integrated nicely and frame the pretty apple and pear flavors wonderfully. The wine finishes beautifully with a touch of minerality.
- Item #: i_322602Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "From the famous Laychen parcel, the 2017 Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling GG Alte Reben is bright, clear, fine and relaxed on the subtly concentrated nose that displays aromas of perfectly ripe stone fruit intertwined with delicate slate notes. On the palate, this is a concentrated, lush, vital, crystalline, highly refined and complex Sonnenuhr with finely racy acidity, lots of energy, grip and mineral tension. This is a rich, concentrated, powerful but still refined, vital and elegant Sonnenuhr that will improve over the years in the bottle."
- Item #: i_322826Bottle Size: 750mlZesty grapefruit and lemon make for a penetrating nose, a tangy palate and an overall sunny disposition. The feel is quite plush and the finish is surprisingly buoyant, infectiously juicy and mouthwateringly salt-tinged. If this doesn’t wake you up (or please you!), you have problems.
- Item #: i_300704Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR - 90 POINTS Lime, clementine, vanilla and lemongrass flavors mingle in this exotic and highly aromatic white. Though dry, this is very expressive and seductive, with an elegant profile. Mineral elements linger on the finish. Drink now. 500 cases made, 400 cases imported.—A.Z.
Why it's of note: The family-owned Pfeffingen is another leading producer from Pfalz. Their main focus is Riesling, but they have become quite famous for their Scheurebe wines. Their work with the grape started with Karl Fuhrmann, the grandfather of the current winemaker, Jan Eymael. Today, the family makes both dry and lusciously sweet wines from this highly aromatic variety. This one is an entry-level version, showing great balance and a charming profile, thanks to the precision of Eymael's winemaking.
- Item #: i_376449Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS Pure, featuring ample fruit and floral elements and notes of tangerine, nectarine and coriander. Well-balanced, with lively acidity and salty minerality creating a vibrant impression on the finish. Drink now through 2027. 200 cases made.
This very special Silvaner from the famous Escherndorfer Lump is one of the best wines in Franconia. The young winemaker Daniel Sauer represents the new generation of winemakers who, with modern know-how, are reviving the old traditions of natural winemaking and producing great wines of unprecedented elegance and finesse! Ab ovo (latin) Means "from the egg", originally, from the beginning. Ab ovo stands for a high-quality Silvaner which was developed in a concrete egg and therefore has gone through a special maturing process and is characterized by a high minerality. A special wine with a great future. Limited edition. Stephan Reinhardt writes in WeinWisser 03/2011: "Hardly anywhere else but the Silvaner has found a better location than in Escherndorfer Lump, this hollow mirrored steep slope on the Main. Here it is rooted in the strong shell limestone soil and delivers year after year grandiose wines, not only with Horst but also in the related or not related Sauer with names Rainer, Helga and Daniel, whose Silvaner are fascinatingly clear, subtle and elegant, simply magnificent. The wine itself is characterised by minerality, body, richness and a rounded texture. The aromas are reminiscent of wild herbs and ripe pears. The taste is balanced, multi-layered with echoes of spices. One of the most beautiful dry Frankish Silvaner of the last 350 years is the "Ab Ovo" Produced in 2009 for the first time and spontaneously fermented in the concrete egg and grown into a radiantly clear, salty, elegant and complex wine, we conclude: More eggs for the Silvaner! " BIODYNAMIC. This literally means "from the egg" and this is what really happens. Bio-dynamically cultivated grapes are vinified in an egg-shaped concrete tank. The secret of the egg is its rather special proportions. The "golden ratio" is an embodiment of aesthetics and harmony. The wine benefits from these perfect spatial proportions. During fermentation the rising CO2, the tapering towards the top of the egg and the uninterrupted surface (the inside of the egg has no weld seams, joints or angles of any sort) enable the wine to circulate and flow without interruption. The concrete also "breaths" like a barrel. And what is produced at the end are filigree, mineral Silvaners of the very best quality with a very definite personality of their own. The wine itself is characterised by minerality, body, richness and a rounded texture. The aromas are reminiscent of wild herbs and ripe pears. The taste is balanced, multi-layered with echoes of spices.
- Item #: i_324315Bottle Size: 750mlJOHN GILMAN - VIEW FROM THE CELLAR - 92 POINTS - The 2017 Monzinger Kabinett is a lovely wine and a clear indication that the dry wines here are not the only outstanding examples of the vintage. The bouquet wafts from the glass in a lovely blend of peach, sweet grapefruit, gentle herbal tones, citrus zest, salty minerality and a topnote of wild yeasts. On the palate the wine is medium-full, crisp and nicely filigreed, with a lovey nexus of fruit, minerality and zesty acidity coming together on the long, bouncy and complex finish. Fine juice. 2018-2040. 92.
- Item #: i_318011Bottle Size: 750mlBurghound: 93WINE ADVOCATE - 94 POINTS
"Picked on November 8, the 8% alcohol plus 97.5 residual sugar 2012 Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Rotlay offers a very stony scented Sonnenuhr, as well as Riesling bouquet in a very delicate and noble way. On the palate this full-bodied "Auslese" is elegant, delicate and juicy, but also full of salty minerals and tension. This is a great and noble sweet Rotlay. Its aging potential should be terrific."
STEPHEN TANZER'S INTERNATIONAL WINE CELLAR 93 POINTS - "Golden yellow. Lovely floral, peach and clove aromas are complicated by a dash of nut oil. Unctuous, creamy apricot flavor is lifted by a bracing saline character. Finishes brilliantly--and almost off-dry--with slate, lemon oil and a hint of nutmeg. Distinctive and long, this is one of the great ausleses of the vintage."
- Item #: i_399971Bottle Size: 750mlThis is a delightful and delicious Weissburgunder (Pinot Blanc) with aromas of apples, pears, and honeysuckle. There are citrusy flavors with lemony notes and also flavors of honeydew melon. Overall this is light and refreshing, is DRY, has good balance, and perfect acidity.
Food pairings would include sole, sea bass, seafood salads, grilled chicken, baked chicken, pasta with garlic and oil or a light cream sauce, vegetable stir fry, Asian noodle dishes, green salads, and hard cheeses.
The St. Antony vineyards are in the prestigious "Roter Hang" section of the Rheinhessen that is known for the deeply flavored and mineral rich wines from the iron enriched (the Roter, or Red part of the name) clay soils that have made other producers such as Keller being world famous.