German wine is primarily produced in the west of Germany, along the river Rhine and its tributaries, with the oldest plantations going back to the Roman era. Approximately 60 percent of the German wine production is situated in the federal state of Rhineland-Palatinate, where 6 of the 13 regions (Anbaugebiete) are situated. Germany as the eighth largest wine-producing country in the world. White wine accounts for almost two thirds of the total production. Among enthusiasts, Germany's reputation is primarily based on wines made from the Riesling grape variety, which at its best is used for aromatic, fruity and elegant white wines that range from very crisp and dry to well-balanced, sweet and of enormous aromatic concentration.
- Item #: i_318005Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR - 92 POINTS Offers aromas of quince and honey, with the quince note continuing on the palate and combining with nervy citrus accents. Very suave and smooth, showing enough acidity for balance and dense flavors that carry through the finish. Drink now through 2031. 90 cases imported. — AZ
MOSEL FINE WINES 93 POINTS "The 2017er Urziger Wurzgarten Spatlese “Urgluck” was harvested at a whopping 96 Oechsle, i.e. well into Auslese category. It delivers a captivating and elegant nose of flowers, minty herbs and candied grapefruit. These are joined by riper scents of whipped cream and vineyard peach as the wine gains from airing in the glass. This delightful Auslese in all but name shows quite some creamy and ripe fruits on the palate yet remains at all time very delicate and refined. A touch of exotic fruits and honey make for a smooth and juicy feel in the long finish. A hint of zest comes through in the after-taste. This is a gorgeous Auslese-style wine in the making! 2027-2047."
Terry Theise note "Probably the masterpiece of their vintage, but not an “easy” wine. Extreme sassafrass, and very stony, but a hyssop-y spice trails along a subtle vein of fruit. Mosel at its most masculine, but hugely impressive, with its serious “resting face.”"
- Item #: i_374421Bottle Size: 750mlMOSEL FINE WINES 93 POINTS - "The 2017er Krettnacher Altenberg Spätlese Trocken was made from fruit harvested at 89° Oechsle in the Enkers part of the vineyard which is planted with 50 year-old vines. It offers a stunning nose of flowers, white peach, a hint of passion fruit and herbs. The wine develops a beautifully elegant feel of herbs, salty elements and spices, with a little bit of power in the finish. The balance and finesse is simply superb and full of potential. 2022-2037"
WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "From Enkers Weinberg and picked around October 10, the 2017 Krettnacher Altenberg Riesling Spätlese trocken is clear, precise and flinty on the nose, offering ripe and refreshing mineral and lemon aromas. On the palate, this is a tight, very mineral, concentrated and structured Riesling with a bone-dry and salty taste and a juicy finish. This is full-bodied at 11.5% alcohol. Tasted from AP 7 18 in June 2019."
- Item #: i_331139Bottle Size: 750mlJANCIS ROBINSON 16 POINTS - "Old-fashioned roses. Proper Turkish Attar perfume! And then, when your nose is leading you down a path of Gewurz fat-bottomed spiciness, the palate delivers bracing freshness in a carnival of pink grapefruit, a naughty hint of passion fruit, lean and taut as a gymnast (not a fat bottom in sight) but kick-boxing flavour. An astonishing amount packed into just 11.5%. Cucumber-fresh finish."
- Item #: i_331141Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE - 97 POINTS The 2017 Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese is intense and concentrated on the nose, with raisin, grapefruit and even vegetable aromas at the moment. This is highly attractive and noble on both the nose and palate. The wine is lush and dense on the palate but highly elegant, crystalline and fine, revealing a highly stimulating, salty-piquant and intensely aromatic and complex finish. This is an outstanding wine, and it's highly digestible. Tasted in March 2019.
Katharina Prum started harvesting on September 25th in 2017, benefited from a golden sunny October and finished in a little bit more than three weeks on October 18. The team picked all predicates from Kabinett (the Graacher Himmelreich is one of the finest produced in the Mosel that year) to TBA yet with a focus on Spatlese and Auslesen, which are absolutely fabulous in their purity, finesse and weightless elegance. Only the higher predicates, including the gold-capsuled Auslesen, are based on a good amount of carefully selected botrytis and overwhelming quality. Prüm also produced BAs and TBAs in Graach and Wehlen, which will be released later and which I didn't taste so far. 2017 is another great collection for this iconic family domaine in Wehlen.
MOSEL FINE WINES - 92+ POINTS This 2017er Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese is almost non-saying at f irst and only timidly delivers scents of vineyard peach, grapef ruit, pear puree, spices and gingerbread. The w ine is delightfully playful and delicately sweet on the palate, where almond cream, peach and candied melon make for a smooth and round feeling. A f resher side underpinned by some zesty grapef ruit comes through in the f inish and af ter -taste. This Auslese will test the patience of wine lovers, yet reward those w ith the patience to wait: This is a great Auslese in the making, and one which has quite some upside potential if it freshens up with time. 2032-2047
JANCIS ROBINSON - 16.5 POINTS Real struck-match aromatics here! Orchard blossom. And then sugary. Hasn’t come together yet. Lots of acidity. Lots of structure. Like scaffolding around a beautiful building. Hasn’t yet been revealed. (TC)
- Item #: i_399959Bottle Size: 750mlTo call the "S" an estate wine borders on dishonesty. The temptation of a fragrance of dark berries and earth cannot be resisted, and flavors of fruits of the forest, chocolate and cedar spice are presented in such smooth texture that even the grip of tannins and mineral dust will not deter one from asking for another glassful.
- Item #: i_320485Bottle Size: 750mlMOSEL FINE WINES - 92 POINTS The 2017 Erdener Pralat Auslese was made from fruit harvested at 107 Oeschle. It unfolds a fascinating and delicately ripe nose driven by toffee, almond cream, smoke, pineapple, pear, orange blossom, minty herbs and anise. The wine develops the full presence of an Auslese GK on the palate, where intense juicy notes of ripe yellow fruits are wrapped into coconut cream and toffee. There is a hint of freshness coming through in the very long and juicy finish. This needs at least a decade in the bottle to fully shine. 2027- 2037.
JAMES SUCKLING - 91 POINTS Very minty with some passion fruit. This is a really juicy but rather sleek Auslese with moderate sweetness. It has got a lot of lemon freshness at the finish. Drink or hold. Screw cap. Stuart Pigott.
- Item #: i_304784Bottle Size: 750MLinfo
Spicy pithy notes with bright lemon flavors are tempered by a smooth honeyed minerality, finishing on a long salty stony note.
The Haarts have been making wine in Piesport since 1337. In the last century Theo Haart raised it to one of the Mosel’s great estates of the Mosel, and although he has handed control of the winemaking to his son Johannes, he still looks after the vineyards. The heart of the estate is the Goldtropchen, and it is harder to find better examples in the sweeter style anywhere. 2107 saw both frost and rot issues, and yields are correspondingly low. The quality, however, is outstanding.
- Item #: i_372079Bottle Size: 750mlJOHN GILMAN - VIEW FROM THE CELLAR - 99 POINTS - "The 2017 Felseneck Grosses Gewächs is yet another utterly brilliant young wine. The nose soars from the glass in a youthfully complex blend of tart orange, pink grapefruit, blood orange, spring flowers, a beautiful base of salty slate minerality, a touch of petrol and a gentle topnote of wild yeasts. On the palate the wine is full, pure and again electric with ripe acidity this year, with a rock solid core, laser-like focus and great cut and grip on the complex, long and utterly seamless finish. This is pure magic. 2027-2085."
JAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS - "Deep and dark in the nose, but blessed with ravishing, tart stone-fruit character on the palate that is almost perfectly balanced by the intense mineral acidity. Enormously long and surprisingly charming finish for a Schafer-Frohlich wine. Huge aging potential. Drink or hold."
MOSEL FINE WINES 97 POINTS - "This 2017er Bockenauer Felseneck GG delivers a gloriously reductive nose of grapef ruit zest, grilled pineapple, minty herbs, nettle, yuzu, lime tree and orchard fruits, all wrapped into residual scents of spontaneous fermentation, bacon, smoke and spices. The wine is beautifully focused on the palate, where ripe fruits are perfectly framed by minty herbs, grapefruit zest and ginger -driven spices. The finish is stunningly long, salty and herbal. There is still a hint of tartness in need of integration. With airing, the wine gains in density and shows huge presenc e and even a touch of power, without ever being hot. This is a magical dry Riesling in the making! 2027-2047"
JANCIS ROBINSON 19 POINTS - "The Felseneck and I have changed, so subtly that hardly anybody has noticed. The Felseneck does not appear quite so extreme anymore in its expression of funky sulphur aromas. In exchange my sensory perception has become more tolerant for the wilder side of herbaceous vigour. A rocky minerality carves its way into the palate, fruit covered by stone dust, a cool herbal breeze takes charge of the finish. The big polariser!"
- Item #: i_303967Bottle Size: 750mlJOHN GILMAN - VIEW FROM A CELLAR - 89+ POINTS The 2017 SL Trocken is about as fine an estate Riesling bottling as one could ask for and will be an excellent value in this vintage. The wine offers up a quite refined nose of apple,. lime, a touch of mossiness, wild yeasts, a lovely base of slate and a topnote of citrus peel. On the palate the wine is medium-full, crisp and nicely complex, with a good core, ripe acids and lovely focus and balance on the long and classy finish. This is really, really good entry level wine! 2018-2030+.
- Item #: i_324315Bottle Size: 750mlJOHN GILMAN - VIEW FROM THE CELLAR - 92 POINTS - The 2017 Monzinger Kabinett is a lovely wine and a clear indication that the dry wines here are not the only outstanding examples of the vintage. The bouquet wafts from the glass in a lovely blend of peach, sweet grapefruit, gentle herbal tones, citrus zest, salty minerality and a topnote of wild yeasts. On the palate the wine is medium-full, crisp and nicely filigreed, with a lovey nexus of fruit, minerality and zesty acidity coming together on the long, bouncy and complex finish. Fine juice. 2018-2040. 92.
- Item #: i_364181Bottle Size: 750mlMOSEL FINE WINES 94 POINTS The 2017er Scharzhofberger Kabinett was fermented down to fully fruity levels. This is still massively under the impact of the spontaneous fermentation on the nose. It takes a few minutes before a most beautiful and telltale nose of white peach, white flowers, mint and plenty of chalky minerals, blended into elements of smoky slate to perfection. The wine is racy but also delivers a delicately smoothing feel of creamy grapefruit on the palate. While it does have the presence of a light Spätlese, the wine remains light-footed and completely elegant right into the apricot blossom infused finish and leaves one with a superbly airy, delicately fruity and mineral feel in the after-taste. Overall, the wine still remains rather shy and it is easy to overlook its greatness to come. Everything is there for making a stunning, playfully light yet complex Spatlese or Auslese like Eberhard von Kunow, the father of Max, used to make in the 1990s.
Importer's notes: This is a remarkable kabinett showing black tea, red peach and a smoked paprika nuance. The palate is crunchy with grilled tangerine, bitter orange and a cayenne pepper cut. It was both fermented and aged in tank for 8 months and only contains 43 grams/liter of residual sugar. It’s a juicy, straight riesling full of charm.
- Item #: i_331138Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS An elderflower aroma draws you into this silky white, offering flavors of ruby grapefruit, blood orange and nectarine. Rose petal hints add to the complexity of the mineral-infused finish. Drink now through 2023. 375 cases made, 125 cases imported. — AZ
Hans Wirsching's lovely dry Scheurebe comes from the Iphofer region of Franken. Bottled in the old fashioned bochsbeutel.
- Item #: i_331143Bottle Size: 750mlThe velvety texture is offset by ample minerality midpalate in this well-knit, zesty version. Geranium notes extend, meeting apple and lime flavors that linger on the well-defined finish.
Why it's of note: Hans Wirsching is one of the largest family-owned wineries in Germany, with over 200 acres of vineyards, but they are still committed to high-quality wines. The winery focuses primarily on Silvaner, which is the most important variety in Franken, where they are located. This version shows the beautiful texture that great Silvaner is known for. Try it with crudo or sushi.