German wine is primarily produced in the west of Germany, along the river Rhine and its tributaries, with the oldest plantations going back to the Roman era. Approximately 60 percent of the German wine production is situated in the federal state of Rhineland-Palatinate, where 6 of the 13 regions (Anbaugebiete) are situated. Germany as the eighth largest wine-producing country in the world. White wine accounts for almost two thirds of the total production. Among enthusiasts, Germany's reputation is primarily based on wines made from the Riesling grape variety, which at its best is used for aromatic, fruity and elegant white wines that range from very crisp and dry to well-balanced, sweet and of enormous aromatic concentration.
- Item #: i_308344Bottle Size: 750MLIn the small town of Schweigen, Becker's vineyards straddle the French border… about 70% of this wine is grown in France, the other 30% on the German side. The soils consist of limestone covered in a clay/loam mix. The grapes are all destemmed and fermented in open tanks. The final blend is aged in large oak casks and 10% smaller barriques, all neutral oak. This is an incredibly drinkable, lovely Pinot with sweet fruit married to exceptional minerality. Notes of dried cranberry, pomegranate and light cherry entice the palate. Year after year, Becker's basic cuvee achieves the holy grail of Pinot: a light body belied by delicious flavor. Great on its own, but also compliments heavier seafood, poultry, and fine cuts of beef and game.
- Item #: i_304582Bottle Size: 750ml"For the first time, a single-vineyard old-vines (55-plus) Muscat is being made as a stand-alone. It’s the very epitome of the opal basil flavor of MC Muscat; it’s a profound aroma, no less; entirely arresting, even stunning. The palate has density and preposterous length, like a pudding of Muscat. Has there ever been a better one? You have to go to ZH’s Goldert to find its equal." - Terry Thiese.
- Item #: i_304581Bottle Size: 750ml"Germany’s (and thus among the world’s) greatest Muscat has been divided into two wines this year. This one’s zingy and primordial; ludicrous “green” flavors; solid and direct, minty and mizuna; a clamorous yet crystalline beauty" - Terry Thiese.
- Item #: i_362358Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR - 95 POINTS
Offers rapierlike focus and acidity to the concentrated and explosively fruity green apple, white cherry and jasmine flavors. Dried sage and chamomile notes linger on the powerful, well-structured finish, showing some hints of white pepper. Complex and refined. Drink now through 2026. 250 cases made. –KM
WINE ADVOCATE - 94 POINTS The 2015 Birkweiler Kastanienbusch Riesling trocken GG shows a very pure and complex, almost dusty and wet clay bouquet with herbal flavors. Round, piquant and very elegant on the palate, this is another Mosel-like Riesling from the Southern Pfalz. It is lean but juicy, precise, concentrated and very complex in the finish. Already accessible, but with a long and tension-filled finish, this is a very expressive Riesling with grip and character. Highly recommended.
After 2014, Hansjorg Rebholz has again bottled a great vintage. His 2015 series is outstanding and a benchmark collection. His selective harvesting has come close to perfection over the years, and even more so because it wasn't easy in 2014 nor in 2015, when the ripening of the grapes was so quick that many wines in the Pfalz lost precision and balance.
Rebholz's 2015s are below 13% alcohol and most of them are between 12-12.5% alcohol. The acidity is vital and very precise, and the wines reveal a persistent mineral structure intertwined with ripe and concentrated fruit. Sometimes you have the impression of drinking a Mosel wine with the origin of Pfalz. The outstanding wines in 2015 are the Riesling grand crus Kastanienbusch GG, Ganz Horn GG and Im Sonnenschein GG. There is just one wine even more impressive: the 2015 Gewurztraminer Auslese Albersweiler Latt. This is one of the greatest Gewürztraminers beyond Alsace. - Stephan Reinhardt.
- Item #: i_322589Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI VINOUSMEDIA - 92 POINTS Like several other von Winning 2017s, this delivers cress-like cut and Sauvignon-like aromatics – here peppermint and cilantro – on top of the hedge flowers and hyacinth I find typical of this site. Firm but generously juicy, the palate bursts with bright lime and delivers an infusion of flowers and herbs. A mouth-shakingly vibrant and refreshing finish barely but delightfully hints at sweetness, and takes a surprisingly Gruner Veltliner–like turn in its stimulating persistence of cress and white pepper. For all of its nippiness and sheer energy, this still exhibits its site’s anticipated charm. -- David Schildknecht