German wine is primarily produced in the west of Germany, along the river Rhine and its tributaries, with the oldest plantations going back to the Roman era. Approximately 60 percent of the German wine production is situated in the federal state of Rhineland-Palatinate, where 6 of the 13 regions (Anbaugebiete) are situated. Germany as the eighth largest wine-producing country in the world. White wine accounts for almost two thirds of the total production. Among enthusiasts, Germany's reputation is primarily based on wines made from the Riesling grape variety, which at its best is used for aromatic, fruity and elegant white wines that range from very crisp and dry to well-balanced, sweet and of enormous aromatic concentration.
- Item #: i_308344Bottle Size: 750MLIn the small town of Schweigen, Becker's vineyards straddle the French border… about 70% of this wine is grown in France, the other 30% on the German side. The soils consist of limestone covered in a clay/loam mix. The grapes are all destemmed and fermented in open tanks. The final blend is aged in large oak casks and 10% smaller barriques, all neutral oak. This is an incredibly drinkable, lovely Pinot with sweet fruit married to exceptional minerality. Notes of dried cranberry, pomegranate and light cherry entice the palate. Year after year, Becker's basic cuvee achieves the holy grail of Pinot: a light body belied by delicious flavor. Great on its own, but also compliments heavier seafood, poultry, and fine cuts of beef and game.
- Item #: i_304582Bottle Size: 750ml"For the first time, a single-vineyard old-vines (55-plus) Muscat is being made as a stand-alone. It’s the very epitome of the opal basil flavor of MC Muscat; it’s a profound aroma, no less; entirely arresting, even stunning. The palate has density and preposterous length, like a pudding of Muscat. Has there ever been a better one? You have to go to ZH’s Goldert to find its equal." - Terry Thiese.
- Item #: i_300704Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR - 90 POINTS Lime, clementine, vanilla and lemongrass flavors mingle in this exotic and highly aromatic white. Though dry, this is very expressive and seductive, with an elegant profile. Mineral elements linger on the finish. Drink now. 500 cases made, 400 cases imported.—A.Z.
Why it's of note: The family-owned Pfeffingen is another leading producer from Pfalz. Their main focus is Riesling, but they have become quite famous for their Scheurebe wines. Their work with the grape started with Karl Fuhrmann, the grandfather of the current winemaker, Jan Eymael. Today, the family makes both dry and lusciously sweet wines from this highly aromatic variety. This one is an entry-level version, showing great balance and a charming profile, thanks to the precision of Eymael's winemaking.
- Item #: i_304564Bottle Size: 750mlThis is a playful rose, made of 100% Pinot Noir, cherry-tinged with cherry and watermelon fruit flavors on the palate. It is crisp, clean, medium acid, and fruity. Delicious chilled and will pair with cheeses, salads, chicken and spicier fare.
- Item #: i_322590Bottle Size: 750mlDELICIOUS! Von Winning practices organic and sustainable viticulture. This dry rose is a light salmon color. The aromas of just ripe strawberries, lilies, and a hint of golden delicious apple. On the palate, this medium bodied wine continues the play of "Strawberry Fields Forever" with the addition of "tangerine trees and marmalade skies," some salinity and deliciousness. The finish is of medium length with good acidity and balance.