Chile has a long viticultural history for a New World wine region dating to the 16th century when the Spanish conquistadors brought Vitis vinifera vines with them as they colonized the region. In the mid-19th century, French wine varieties such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Carmenère and Cabernet Franc were introduced. In the early 1980s, a renaissance began with the introduction of stainless steel fermentation tanks and the use of oak barrels for aging. Wine exports grew very quickly as quality wine production increased. The number of wineries has grown from 12 in 1995 to over 70 in 2005. Reasons for this sudden expansion varies, but all are essential to understanding Chilean wine culture. The largest factor, and arguably most prominent, relates to the large amount of French families immigrating to Chile during the late 20th century. The French were able to share their fine tastes and experience with the native Chileans, expanding their knowledge of the wine world. Chile is now the fifth largest exporter of wines in the world, and the ninth largest producer. The climate has been described as midway between that of California and France. The most common grapes are Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Carmenère.
- Item #: i_383917Bottle Size: 750mlNo. 3 Light & Lively
- 78% Pinot Noir, 22% Tempranillo from the Casablanca and Colchagua valleys of Chile
- Estate bottled at Trasiego Wines outside Santiago by husband and wife winemaker team Vincente and Bernardita Johnson
- This unique blend of Chilean Pinot Noir and Tempranillo has vibrant notes of sour cherry, pomegranate, white pepper, and subtle bubblegum. Reminiscent of beaujolais nouveau, light bodied on the palette and very easy drinking, good acidity makes this wine refreshingly easy to come back to!
- Headquartered in the heart of downtown Venice Beach, CA
- Collaborates with small, family owned and operated wineries around the world to produce sustainably farmed, estate grown wines
- All wines are developed using a crowd-sourcing method of style selection where large groups of average wine consumers blind taste dozens of wines and describe their favorites in common vernacular
- The styles are intended to be very easy-drinking, crowd pleasing options that the vast majority of wine consumers will enjoy, not ponder over
- all marketing includes fun hashtags, educational labels, and easy to understand wine-speak to appeal to a wide array of new and often younger generations of wine consumers
- Item #: i_383993Bottle Size: 750mlThe wine is fermented in stainless steel tanks then aged in neutral French oak barrels for 6 months. With low filtration it maintains a balanced amount of tannin, structure and acidity. This creates a wine that has flavors of delicious red fruits like cherries and strawberries.