The Australian wine industry is the world's fourth largest exporter of wine with approximately 750 million litres a year to the international export market with only about 40% of production consumed domestically. Wine is produced in every state, with more than 60 designated wine regions totaling approximately 160,000 hectares; however Australia's wine regions are mainly in the southern, cooler parts of the country, with vineyards located in South Australia, New South Wales, Victoria, Western Australia, Tasmania and Queensland. The wine regions in each of these states produce different wine varieties and styles that take advantage of the particular terroir such as: climatic differences, topography and soil types. With the major varieties being predominantly Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Merlot, Semillon, Pinot noir, Riesling, and Sauvignon Blanc. Wines are often labeled with the name of their grape variety, which must constitute at least 85 percent of the wine.
- Item #: i_383605Bottle Size: 750mlBen Haines is a boutique winemaker in Victoria’s Yarra Valley. Having trained in viticulture, he pays close attention to what’s happening in each vineyard throughout the growing season. His wines are intensely textural with flavors continuing to develop sip after sip. Fruit is expressive, structure is present without being constraining. Practicing organic
- Item #: i_378357Bottle Size: 750MLThe delicious berry fruit and spice flavors of the cooler climate grapes from the Joppich Vineyard in Langhorne Creek gives the Blue Eyed Boy its crowd appeal. It is blended with McLaren Vale Shiraz to add intensity, vibrancy and richness. This year the McLaren Vale fruit came from the Gateway and Long Gully Road Vineyards.
- Item #: i_377020Bottle Size: 750MLWinemaker Notes - "This alluring and unashamedly bold Shiraz has hints of spiced plums, blackberry jam and cherry all at the fore and finishes with coffee cream, licorice and vanilla. Full bodied with vibrant berry fruit characteristics, yet elegant with restrained tannins, resulting in a soft mouthfeel."
- Item #: i_380013Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 97JAMES SUCKLING 97 POINTS - "What a nose of chalk, crushed stones, slate, vanilla, spices, honeysuckle, sliced apples, quince, dried sage, thyme and a ton of freshly squeezed lemons and limes. The palate’s very edgy with a taut line of acidity, but it fits in so well the stone fruit and flora undertones. Clarity, precision and focus that matches up to any top Grand Cru Burgundy. Not for the faint of heart but the fearless. "
- Item #: i_383505Bottle Size: 750mlRipe and soft, this is a great everyday Syrah with a winning combination of generous character and freshness. WINEMAKER NOTES - "The fragrant nose offers abundant dark fruits with hints of cut flowers, clove, black pepper, and anise. The palate is full bodied with a plush mouth-feel, dark fruits, smooth tannins..."
"Winner’s Tank is a new venture between Reid Bosward of Kaesler vineyards, and David and Cathy Knight, owners of the Winner’s Tank site. The name relates to an old water tank that sits in the corner of the vineyard. In true Aussie spirit, a strong rivalry exists between the three neighboring towns in the local Australian Rules Football competition. Each year the winning team heads out to the vineyard to paint the tank in their team colors."
- Item #: i_377276Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "A blend of six vineyards, the 2017 Samuel's Collection Viognier boasts extravagant floral and apricot aromas that leap from the glass. It's a blend of barrel-fermented (in old hogsheads) and steel-fermented components that have a slightly creamy texture and layers of opulent fruit. It's a rich wine, but with sufficient balancing acidity to keep it refreshing and clean on the long finish. It should provide immense pleasure over the next few years."
In our opinion, this Viognier in particular has become the standard by which we judge all others at the surrounding price points. This wine is fermented entirely with indigenous yeasts which maintains complexity and layers of flavor. This is a delicate and aromatic Viognier wine. The color is pale gold with green highlights, with a nose of pure aromas displaying apricot nectar, lifted honeysuckle and orange oil perfume. The particularly white peach and apricot flavours, finishing with an aromatic citrus freshness. This wine will continue to grow and develop in the bottle, firstly showing enhanced apricots and spice, then after a couple of years, honey flavors and toast.