The Australian wine industry is the world's fourth largest exporter of wine with approximately 750 million litres a year to the international export market with only about 40% of production consumed domestically. Wine is produced in every state, with more than 60 designated wine regions totaling approximately 160,000 hectares; however Australia's wine regions are mainly in the southern, cooler parts of the country, with vineyards located in South Australia, New South Wales, Victoria, Western Australia, Tasmania and Queensland. The wine regions in each of these states produce different wine varieties and styles that take advantage of the particular terroir such as: climatic differences, topography and soil types. With the major varieties being predominantly Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Merlot, Semillon, Pinot noir, Riesling, and Sauvignon Blanc. Wines are often labeled with the name of their grape variety, which must constitute at least 85 percent of the wine.
- Item #: i_383703Bottle Size: 750mlOne of the Top 100 Wineries in the World, located in the cooler Yarra Valley. One of Australia's best Chardonnays at this price point. Sourced from the 5 best Giant Steps vineyards, this is a blend of their finest grapes An intense Chardonnay that was gently matured on oak for 7 months. Apricot, white peach, grapefruit flavours along with a long, mineral finish A truly wonderful Chardonnay that is perfect with friends. Great to accompany poultry, pork and Asian foods.
- Item #: i_380016Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "This subdued white shows plenty of elegance and grace. Spice and toasty notes linger in the background, and pear and melon flavors have a succulent texture, with a thread of acidity that weaves in and out. Drink now through 2022. 2,500 cases made."
WINE MAKER NOTES - Our fruit was harvested by hand at the end of February then whole-bunch pressed and settled in tank before racking to tank and barrel for fermentation. The wine underwent a partial malolactic fermentation and was aged for 10 months – part in steel tank to retain fresh fruit flavours, part in barrel for added complexity. We used a mix of old and new French oak.
With fruit from select vineyards, this is a true regional Yarra Valley Chardonnay. It has fresh citrus and stone fruit aromas with bright fruit on the palate, creamy texture and a clean finish.
- Item #: i_381097Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 95James Suckling: 94Decanter: 96 PointsWine Enthusiast: 95 Points#38 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - " Supple and creamy up front, with precision to the nutmeg, lemon curd, verbena and mandarin orange flavors, which are intense and harmonious. The elegant body and lingering accents of ginger and citrus zest elevate this white to something special. Drink now through 2028."
- Item #: i_380013Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 97JAMES SUCKLING 97 POINTS - "What a nose of chalk, crushed stones, slate, vanilla, spices, honeysuckle, sliced apples, quince, dried sage, thyme and a ton of freshly squeezed lemons and limes. The palate’s very edgy with a taut line of acidity, but it fits in so well the stone fruit and flora undertones. Clarity, precision and focus that matches up to any top Grand Cru Burgundy. Not for the faint of heart but the fearless. "
- Item #: i_377919Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 94AUSTRALIAN WINE COMPANION 95 POINTS - "Has the intensity, complexity and drive expected of Vasse Felix, with layers of white peach, pear and sotto voce grapefruit twinned to the all-important acidity. There's an argument to be made that this offers the best value of the three '16 Vasse Felix Chardonnays."
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "Very powerful aromas of grilled peaches and mangoes with grapefruit citrus and minerally spunk. The palate is smoothly layered with impressive concentrated peaches and tropical fruit flesh. Fresh, vibrant and delicious."
- Item #: i_380014Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 91 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 91 POINTS. BEST BUY 2018 - "This brand, which employs an army of winemakers from around the world to make dozens of wines under the Handpicked label, has succeeded in crafting a delicious, delicate Chard at an affordable price. Attractive notes of red apple peels and blossoms are backed by a hint of baking spice and a copper penny tang. The palate is light and fresh, with a tight, chalky texture and a long ginger and apple-peel finish. One to sip with salads and seafood."