The Australian wine industry is the world's fourth largest exporter of wine with approximately 750 million litres a year to the international export market with only about 40% of production consumed domestically. Wine is produced in every state, with more than 60 designated wine regions totaling approximately 160,000 hectares; however Australia's wine regions are mainly in the southern, cooler parts of the country, with vineyards located in South Australia, New South Wales, Victoria, Western Australia, Tasmania and Queensland. The wine regions in each of these states produce different wine varieties and styles that take advantage of the particular terroir such as: climatic differences, topography and soil types. With the major varieties being predominantly Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Merlot, Semillon, Pinot noir, Riesling, and Sauvignon Blanc. Wines are often labeled with the name of their grape variety, which must constitute at least 85 percent of the wine.
- Item #: i_378357Bottle Size: 750MLThe delicious berry fruit and spice flavors of the cooler climate grapes from the Joppich Vineyard in Langhorne Creek gives the Blue Eyed Boy its crowd appeal. It is blended with McLaren Vale Shiraz to add intensity, vibrancy and richness. This year the McLaren Vale fruit came from the Gateway and Long Gully Road Vineyards.
- Item #: i_377020Bottle Size: 750MLWinemaker Notes - "This alluring and unashamedly bold Shiraz has hints of spiced plums, blackberry jam and cherry all at the fore and finishes with coffee cream, licorice and vanilla. Full bodied with vibrant berry fruit characteristics, yet elegant with restrained tannins, resulting in a soft mouthfeel."
- Item #: i_380013Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 97JAMES SUCKLING 97 POINTS - "What a nose of chalk, crushed stones, slate, vanilla, spices, honeysuckle, sliced apples, quince, dried sage, thyme and a ton of freshly squeezed lemons and limes. The palate’s very edgy with a taut line of acidity, but it fits in so well the stone fruit and flora undertones. Clarity, precision and focus that matches up to any top Grand Cru Burgundy. Not for the faint of heart but the fearless. "
- Item #: i_378692Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90Jeb Dunnuck: 90 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "The classically styled 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Sexy Beast features hints of mint and cocoa on the nose, alongside cassis and baking spices. It's medium to full-bodied, with a certain amount of varietal reserve, meaning it doesn't completely fill the mouth or coat the palate like Shiraz but shows a crisp, linear and well-defined finish."
- Item #: i_377456Bottle Size: 750mlTwo Hands Wines was founded in early 1999 by Michael Twelftree and Richard Mintz. The original aim shared by Michael and Richard was to make the best possible Shiraz-based wines from prized Shiraz growing regions throughout Australia. Their intention was, and still is, to showcase the diversity of Australian Shiraz by highlighting regional characteristics and allowing the fruit to be the primary feature of the wines. We were glad the angels decided to leave part of their 'share' for us-- "Angels' Share" references, of course, the portion of the wine (or other liquid) that angels take from or levy on the winemaker while said wine is in barrel (also known as evaporation). But the intimation is that the wine the angels would want is pretty good stuff and that certainly fits in this case. The nose is a mix of New World/Old World with spicy, peppery plums, light minty earth, raspberries and a touch of cured meats. McClaren Vale meet the Rhône. The palate continues with bright fruits, blackberry, boysenberry, excellent peppery spice, currents of mint and eucalyptus, bacon fat and a bit of earth in the finish.