The Australian wine industry is the world's fourth largest exporter of wine with approximately 750 million litres a year to the international export market with only about 40% of production consumed domestically. Wine is produced in every state, with more than 60 designated wine regions totaling approximately 160,000 hectares; however Australia's wine regions are mainly in the southern, cooler parts of the country, with vineyards located in South Australia, New South Wales, Victoria, Western Australia, Tasmania and Queensland. The wine regions in each of these states produce different wine varieties and styles that take advantage of the particular terroir such as: climatic differences, topography and soil types. With the major varieties being predominantly Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Merlot, Semillon, Pinot noir, Riesling, and Sauvignon Blanc. Wines are often labeled with the name of their grape variety, which must constitute at least 85 percent of the wine.
- Item #: i_378621Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 9262% Cabernet Sauvignon, 18% Malbec, 10% Petit Verdot, 6% Cabernet Franc, 4% Merlot
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 92 POINTS - "Powerful smoke- and spice-accented aromas of fresh blueberry, cherry-vanilla and cured tobacco, with a floral nuance building with air. Juicy and expansive on the palate, offering sappy dark berry preserve flavors with suggestions of candied flowers, licorice and mocha. Supple, slowbuilding tannins provide grip to the impressively long finish, which leaves boysenberry and smoky mineral notes behind.
Winemakers Notes: Lovely red berry and darker fruit aromas, notably blackcurrant, plum and lifted violets with a touch of black olives. These characters continue onto the palate supported by layers of nutmeg, cinnamon and spice oak flavours, with a hint of vanilla. Balanced, finely structured and perfumed, this wine shows considerable length and structure & will benefit from cellaring for 10 to 20 years. Bottled without filtration, decanting 2 hour’s prior to consumption is recommended.
- Item #: i_382445Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91AUSTRALIAN WINE COMPANION 94 POINTS - "Firm with tannin and alive with promise. It's not the brightest spark but deep pools of blackberried fruit and swirls of firm coffeed tannin make it a monty for sound future development."
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "Deep garnet purple in color, the 2013 The McRae Wood Shiraz has a profound nose with black plums, berries and cherries, alongside spice box, violets, cedar and toast. Full, rich and chewy, though with slightly astringent tannins, the oak is poking out a bit and this wine needs some time. Rating: 91+"
- Item #: i_378405Bottle Size: 750mlGarnet red in color, this wine offers aromas of blueberries and blackcurrant, with hints of fresh violet. On the palate, it shows savory notes and pepper spice, as well as fresh rhubarb and fleshy fruit. Fine tannins and balanced acidity with length on the palate.
Blend: 84% Grenache, 16% Shiraz
- Item #: i_381882Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "Inky purple. Heady, expansive aromas of dark fruit liqueur, potpourri and incense, with a hint of smoky minerality adding vivacity. Offers juicy, penetrating cherry and dark berry flavors and an exotic floral pastille quality that builds in the glass. Shows excellent clarity and thrust on the finish, with silky tannins coming in late."
The "Second Pass" Shiraz is sourced from the Nugan family’s premium vineyards in Australia. After fermentation, the wine was pressed onto the pomace and yeast lees of our premium "Alfredo" Dry Grape Shiraz adding to the wines' intensity, a la the Ripasso style found in Italy's Valpolicella region. Thereafter, the wine was matured in French and American oak for 12 months resulting in a wine of concentration and quality. Dark berries, mint leaf and herbal wood fills the nose as more scents reverberate: black licorice, strawberry tea, mixed brown spices, dark perfumed florals. Sweet fruit buoyed by lush tannins start on the palate with more layers growing with each sip: cherries and berries meet breakfast tea and violet petals, rhubarb, tobacco, dark chocolate and brown earth. Sweet, rich, complex. The tannins and excellent acidity keep it aloft and light on the palate even with all its richness of flavor. Great with grilled meats (from lamb to cow) and game, strong hard cheeses.
- Item #: i_378585Bottle Size: 750mlThis is a great introduction to Eden Valley reds: a cooler area bordering the famous, very warm Barossa Valley. Yalumba is a name to learn if you haven't already; they were founded in the mid 1800s and have a solid line of different styles for different occasions and palates.
WINE & SPIRITS MAGAZINE 93 POINTS - "A modern take on an old-fashioned style of Eden Valley shiraz, this is bold in flavor but not at all massive—more about stamina and grace than density and weight. Its flavors of red currants, jasmine and tar have forthright power, a zesty blast of shiraz spice that leaves a clean, fresh taste in its wake. This performs far above its price, a wine to buy by the case and enjoy this winter into spring."
95% Shiraz, 5% Viognier