The Australian wine industry is the world's fourth largest exporter of wine with approximately 750 million litres a year to the international export market with only about 40% of production consumed domestically. Wine is produced in every state, with more than 60 designated wine regions totaling approximately 160,000 hectares; however Australia's wine regions are mainly in the southern, cooler parts of the country, with vineyards located in South Australia, New South Wales, Victoria, Western Australia, Tasmania and Queensland. The wine regions in each of these states produce different wine varieties and styles that take advantage of the particular terroir such as: climatic differences, topography and soil types. With the major varieties being predominantly Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Merlot, Semillon, Pinot noir, Riesling, and Sauvignon Blanc. Wines are often labeled with the name of their grape variety, which must constitute at least 85 percent of the wine.
- Item #: i_383511Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 92 PointsPRACTICING ORGANIC FARMING
WINE ENTHUSIAST 92 POINTS - "Made in small quantities from winemaker Ben Haines, this blend is fermented with native yeasts and aged for 10 months on the lees. The aromas are heady in tones of lemon curd, honey, toasted nuts and spice. But it's the palate that steals show. Tingly acidity perfectly balances an oily texture and lingering, spicy flavors. Lovers of textural whites will be all over this."
- Item #: i_383605Bottle Size: 750mlBen Haines is a boutique winemaker in Victoria’s Yarra Valley. Having trained in viticulture, he pays close attention to what’s happening in each vineyard throughout the growing season. His wines are intensely textural with flavors continuing to develop sip after sip. Fruit is expressive, structure is present without being constraining. Practicing organic
- Item #: i_378621Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 9262% Cabernet Sauvignon, 18% Malbec, 10% Petit Verdot, 6% Cabernet Franc, 4% Merlot
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 92 POINTS - "Powerful smoke- and spice-accented aromas of fresh blueberry, cherry-vanilla and cured tobacco, with a floral nuance building with air. Juicy and expansive on the palate, offering sappy dark berry preserve flavors with suggestions of candied flowers, licorice and mocha. Supple, slowbuilding tannins provide grip to the impressively long finish, which leaves boysenberry and smoky mineral notes behind.
Winemakers Notes: Lovely red berry and darker fruit aromas, notably blackcurrant, plum and lifted violets with a touch of black olives. These characters continue onto the palate supported by layers of nutmeg, cinnamon and spice oak flavours, with a hint of vanilla. Balanced, finely structured and perfumed, this wine shows considerable length and structure & will benefit from cellaring for 10 to 20 years. Bottled without filtration, decanting 2 hour’s prior to consumption is recommended.
- Item #: i_381616Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 90WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "Crisp and bright, offering a mix of bright cherry, mineral and white pepper notes that add an air of delicacy and precision. The tannins are firm and in the background. Drink now through 2026."
The Cirillo family are custodians of what it is believed to be the oldest continuously producing Grenache and Semillon vineyards in the world. Planted in 1848, these vines are not only a part of the Barossa history, but Australia’s winemaking heritage. That is a long time ago! To put it into perspective, the California Gold Rush began the same year when the precious metal was discovered at Sutter’s Mill. The Cirillo’s winemaking heritage spans back over 9 generations to the Southern Italian province of Calabria.
The vineyard sits on what was an old inland lake over 100 Million years ago. The soil is deep silt sand over limestone and clay. This combination of free-draining topsoil and water-holding subsoil has sustained the 7 acres of grenache. The gnarled and wizened basket pruned bush Grenache vines stand up to 6 feet high and nearly 6 feet wide. For these vines to survive at this age, they need constant attention through-out the year. Owner and Winemaker Marco Cirillo spends every spare moment training, pruning and nurturing each vine through its fragile life. The result is fruit with incredible intensity and old vine richness not often seen.
During primary fermentation the wine is hand tended 2 to 4 times per day. Once the ferment is complete it is carefully transferred into an 800kg basket press which will then allow intimate control of the tannin, fruit and overall structure of the wine. It is then stored in seasoned 60% French and 40% American oak hogsheads for up to 24 months.
Most of the grapes from these ancient vines are sold to the great Australian producer, Torbreck, leaving only a small portion for Cirillo to use in these wines. These wines produced from gnarled and wizened trunks are something to be treasured and enjoyed.
- Item #: i_378190Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "Impressive richness and depth from the outset here. The nose has rich dark-plum, chocolate and earth aromas with such poise and richness. The palate is full-bodied with saturated plums and blackberries. Long, ribbony tannins."
WINERY NOTES - "Small batches of grapes are gently crushed and then transferred to five tonne headed down open fermenters. These batches remain separate until final blending. Foot treading is undertaken two thirds of the way through fermentation. The wine is then basket pressed and transferred to a mixture of new and used French and old American oak barriques to complete fermentation. The barrel ferments are aged on lees, there is no racking until final blending and no fining or filtration.
Dead Arm is a vine disease caused by the fungus Eutypa Lata that randomly affects vineyards all over the world. Often affected vines are severely pruned or replanted. One half, or an 'arm' of the vine slowly becomes reduced to dead wood. That side may be lifeless and brittle, but the grapes on the other side, while low yielding, display amazing intensity. "
- Item #: i_302554Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 92JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS -"A cherry-flavored nose that also offers up aromas of blackberry pie, cedar and spices. Medium to full body, grainy tannins, lots of fresh blue and black fruit and a chewy finish. Drink in 2021."
- Item #: i_379971Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 96Elderton's Command Shiraz is an iconic wine made from grapes sourced from 120 year old vines. Named because of the special treatment the quality fruit 'commanded', this is a Shiraz of excellent concentration. The fruit for this wine comes from the Elderton vineyard located on the banks of the Para River and is matured in a mixture of French and American oak. This allows the wine to retain its driven power while also giving the wine a level of complexity and balance. Elderton's Command can be enjoyed by lovers of ripe and rich fruit early, yet will reward the truly patient with a wine of true beauty when left alone to mature for a decade.
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "From vines planted in 1894, the 2014 Command Single Vineyard Shiraz aged in a combination of French and American oak (80% new). Aromas of smoky campfire and vanilla lead the way, followed by expressive raspberry fruit. It's full-bodied and lush across the palate, creamy in texture, impressive in its concentration and balanced by a crisp, fruit-driven finish. Quintessential Barossa Shiraz."
- Item #: i_383703Bottle Size: 750mlOne of the Top 100 Wineries in the World, located in the cooler Yarra Valley. One of Australia's best Chardonnays at this price point. Sourced from the 5 best Giant Steps vineyards, this is a blend of their finest grapes An intense Chardonnay that was gently matured on oak for 7 months. Apricot, white peach, grapefruit flavours along with a long, mineral finish A truly wonderful Chardonnay that is perfect with friends. Great to accompany poultry, pork and Asian foods.
- Item #: i_379944Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 95WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "Even bigger, richer and darker than the 2015, the 2016 Anaperenna Shiraz-Cabernet Sauvignon is 84% Shiraz and 16% Cabernet. These are not wines for fans of shy, delicate wines, but neither are they clumsy fruit bombs. This is pleasantly multifaceted, with complex notes ranging from charred beef, black olive and asphalt to blackberries and cassis, all underscored by loam, vanilla and cedar. Full-bodied (15.5% alcohol), it's hugely ripe but balanced, with supple tannins and enough acidity on the long, velvety finish to balance the ledger."
From the warm, northern district of Ebenezer in the Barossa Valley, Shiraz vines up to 130-years-old produce concentrated grapes with depth of flavor and complexity. Cabernet is 30-130 year old vines.
The first Glaetzers settled in Australia’s Barossa Valley in 1888, after emigrating from Brandenburg, Germany, bringing with them a passion for winemaking. Over a century later, winemaking patriarch Colin Glaetzer established Glaetzer Wines.
Ben Glaetzer, son of Colin, heads up the winemaking team today. He is committed to expressing the purity of fruit; using minimal intervention techniques, Ben produces ultra-premium wines that are unmistakably Barossan, yet markedly elegant.
- Item #: i_380016Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "This subdued white shows plenty of elegance and grace. Spice and toasty notes linger in the background, and pear and melon flavors have a succulent texture, with a thread of acidity that weaves in and out. Drink now through 2022. 2,500 cases made."
WINE MAKER NOTES - Our fruit was harvested by hand at the end of February then whole-bunch pressed and settled in tank before racking to tank and barrel for fermentation. The wine underwent a partial malolactic fermentation and was aged for 10 months – part in steel tank to retain fresh fruit flavours, part in barrel for added complexity. We used a mix of old and new French oak.
With fruit from select vineyards, this is a true regional Yarra Valley Chardonnay. It has fresh citrus and stone fruit aromas with bright fruit on the palate, creamy texture and a clean finish.
- Item #: i_373812Bottle Size: 750MLThe Australians are known for making great stickies (dessert wines) and the Hardys Tawny certain ranks among our best value dessert wines. Considering the modest price, this outstanding tawny most certainly over delivers. A best seller!
International Wine Cellar - "Pinkish amber. Spicy redcurrant and toffee aromas are complicated by orange peel, molasses and fresh rose. A delicate and nicely focused tawny with toffeed apple and pear flavors and an exotic blood orange quality emerging on the back. This rather understated port shows good finishing lift and a lingering salted caramel character."
- Item #: i_301684Bottle Size: 750mlWINERY NOTES - "Deep crimson with ruby hues. Attractive aromas of spiced plum, red currant and blue and black berry fruits are met with floral nuances of violets and black pepper spice. The round, supple palate is filled with juicy blue and red fruits, spiced plum, liquorice and notes of crushed tarragon, with beautifully textured svelte tannins and a long, peppery finish."
Blend: 66% Shiraz, 15% Grenache, 10% Mataro, 9% Viognier
- Item #: i_382170Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 94James Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "A wine that really shows the prowess and attractive nature of the shiraz that this vineyard can produce. The concentrated yet fresh red plums and cherries really sing on the palate. Tannins glide like layers of silk. A brilliant wine. Drink or hold. Screw cap."
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "There’s a lovely sense of restraint here, with firm tannins reining in complex, detailed flavors of blueberry pie, kirsch and dark chocolate. Espresso, clove and caramel notes add even more complexity on the finish, where the flavors continue to unfold. Drink now through 2034."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Overtones of vanilla and cedar mark the nose of the 2016 Brooks Road Shiraz, which aged in 20%-30% new French oak. Herbal notes and hints of green peppercorns add nuance to the ripe cherry flavors of this full-bodied red. The tannins are supple, making this wine approachable now, but they also linger softly on the finish, suggesting up to a decade of additional ageability."
- Item #: i_382151Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 94James Suckling: 95Decanter: 92 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "A fresh and fragrant cabernet with violets and dark rose-like floras, cassis and blueberries. There is also a decent serving of spicy oak in the mix. The palate is smoothly arranged on sheets of formidably strong tannins, which are carried seamlessly into the finish. A stunning cabernet. Best from 2022. Screw cap."
WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The inky purple 2016 Trueman Cabernet Sauvignon is a super effort. It boasts intense, classic aromas of pencil shavings and cassis on the nose, then delivers rich waves of velvety but structured fruit on the full-bodied palate. If there's any complaint, it's that it's perhaps a bit too monolithic, but it's a young wine and should add layers of complexity given enough time in the cellar. It's not unapproachable now, but it probably won't fully hit its stride for at least five years and then be drinkable for at least a decade after that."
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Juicy and vibrant, showing terrific purity to the raspberry and black cherry flavors at the polished and refined core, with supple tannins and details of Earl Grey tea, violet and toasted cumin. Impressive for the seamless harmony and the creamy texture, this shows a tug of grip from the tannins on the finish. Drink now through 2035."
DECANTER 92 POINTS - "Oz Clarke: Very unusual mix of marzipan, dry chocolate and blackcurrant. It is quite tannic, but does have some violet scent and sap to lift it. Sarah Jane Evans: Textbook aromas: blackcurrant with a hint of green pepper. This is a modern and glossy approach to Cab. Fleshy blackcurrants and a firm undertone of cedar. Tina Gellie: Quite a jammy Cab, but still has that cassis and green pepper note, plus soft vanilla oak and grippy tannins."
- Item #: i_382445Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91AUSTRALIAN WINE COMPANION 94 POINTS - "Firm with tannin and alive with promise. It's not the brightest spark but deep pools of blackberried fruit and swirls of firm coffeed tannin make it a monty for sound future development."
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "Deep garnet purple in color, the 2013 The McRae Wood Shiraz has a profound nose with black plums, berries and cherries, alongside spice box, violets, cedar and toast. Full, rich and chewy, though with slightly astringent tannins, the oak is poking out a bit and this wine needs some time. Rating: 91+"
- Item #: i_378935Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93James Suckling: 91WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "A Grenache, Shiraz, Mataro blend, the 2015 Plexus has a pale to medium garnet-purple color and nose of kirsch, red currant jelly and raspberry preserves with hints of Chinese five spice, hoisin, roses, black pepper and underbrush. Rich, concentrated, full-bodied and full-on seductive, it fills the palate with exotically spiced red fruit preserves. With plush tannins and a balanced freshness, it has a perfumed finish with satisfying persistence."
JAMES SUCKLING 91 POINTS - "A flavorful red with lots of juicy-fruit and chocolate character. Full body, round and juicy tannins and a savory finish. "
- Item #: i_378405Bottle Size: 750mlGarnet red in color, this wine offers aromas of blueberries and blackcurrant, with hints of fresh violet. On the palate, it shows savory notes and pepper spice, as well as fresh rhubarb and fleshy fruit. Fine tannins and balanced acidity with length on the palate.
Blend: 84% Grenache, 16% Shiraz
- Item #: i_377616Bottle Size: 750mlLifted blackcurrants and blueberry aroma entwine with Cedary French oak, minty hints and savoury notes. On the palate bright, juicy, blue and red fruits flow onto the palate which is mediumto full bodied. Briary spice adds to the complexity and the sweet fruit is well balanced with fine, silky tannins which lengthen the fruitful and velvety finish.
- Item #: i_377499Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "Composed of 96% Shiraz and 4% Viognier, the 2015 Shiraz / Viognier Hangin' Snakes displays a deep garnet-purple color and a nose of fresh black currants and black cherries with hints of violets, Provence herbs, cloves and cinnamon stick. The black fruit and spices fill the medium-bodied palate, supported by soft, approachable tannins and just enough freshness, finishing long and perfumed."
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 90 POINTS - "Vivid purple. Spice-tinged blue fruits and violet on the fragrant nose. Sweet and seamless in texture, offering juicy boysenberry and cherry flavors that tighten up slowly on the back half. Lingers with very good tenacity and just a hint of dusty tannins that add final grip."
The history of Langmeil's Lindner family paints a rich portrait of farming, food, community and wine which can be traced back six generations to the central European region known as Silesia. The Freedom 1843 Shiraz is believed to be the oldest surviving shiraz vineyard in the world. Called Langmeil, the name of the trading village established in 1842, by the Lindner family whose own mark on the Barossa spans six-generations. Langmeil is renowned for its preservation of old vines and the making of distinguished wines from these cherished sites.
- Item #: i_380657Bottle Size: 750mlWINEMAKER NOTES - "Deep crimson with purple hues. A rich aroma of red and blue fruits, herbs and cedar, entwine with hints of sage, chocolate and savoury notes. Juicy Raspberry and Satsuma plum fills the mouth, with allspice sweetness adding to the mouthfeel. The fruit is well balanced with hints of briary spice and textured, fine tannin." Add to that a distinctive eucalyptol that gives the wine a cooling sensation. This is a big, soft, warming wine with a heady perfume.
"Orphan Bank is testament to Langmeil’s commitment to preserving old and rare Barossa vineyards. Ten rows of Shiraz planted pre-1860 were saved from the developer’s bulldozer and replanted alongside the original Langmeil vineyard on the banks of the River Para. We called these ten rows the “Orphans” but after 150 years they have a new home."
- Item #: i_381097Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 95James Suckling: 94Decanter: 96 PointsWine Enthusiast: 95 Points#38 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - " Supple and creamy up front, with precision to the nutmeg, lemon curd, verbena and mandarin orange flavors, which are intense and harmonious. The elegant body and lingering accents of ginger and citrus zest elevate this white to something special. Drink now through 2028."