- Item #: i_351526Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95-97Vinous Media: 96 PointsDecanter: 96 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 95-97 POINTS - "The 2014 Clos de Tart Grand Cru will contain 40% whole bunch fruit in the final. It was picked from September 17 until September 22. This blend that I tasted included the young vines at the bottom of the vineyard that may or may not be deselected to make a Forge de Tart (the decision will be made next year). It is also the first vintage that does not include old vines at the northwest corner that were pulled up in spring 2014, due to be replanted in four years' time. It has a very well defined bouquet with cranberry and wild strawberry fruit, fine mineral tones and is quite harmonious with hints of wet limestone. The palate is medium-bodied and I feel this has tightened up since I tasted it in September 2015. The fruit also seems a little darker. Blackberry and wild cherry, with a hint of cola and certainly more tangible mineralité on the finish, as you can feel the mouth tingling long after it has bid adieu. Readers will be aware that I tasted the 2014 back in September at retiring winemaker Sylvain Pitiot's retirement do. Nevertheless I thought it would be appropriate to return a couple of months later to taste with new winemaker, Jacques Devauges. It also gave me a chance to walk down through the vineyard from Laurent Ponsot's winery and get a feel for the terroir - bracing it was too as I tramped through the vines to quizzical stares of those doing the first pruning of the vines."
DRECANTER 96 POINTS - "Vibrant, ripe blackberry plus delicate notes of rose, a gorgeously silky texture and sweet-spice finish. I tasted the seven parcels that make up this final wine and it is clear that there's a sensational synergy in the blending."
BURGHOUND 93 POINTS - OUTSTANDING! - "There is whiff of new wood framing the intensely floral-suffused nose and in particular rose petal and lavender that add elegance to the fresh mix of mostly red and dark currant scents that are trimmed in discreet earth hints. There is a lovely sense of energy to the moderately dense middle weight plus flavors that culminate in a dusty, palate coating and beautifully long finish. This is already completely harmonious and should make for terrific drinking for years to come."
- Item #: i_353329Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The 2014 Grand Cru Schoenenbourg is still a bit discreet and reductive on the nose, but intense in its concentrated citrus (lemon confit) and earthy flavors. Sweet and piquant on the palate, this is a generous, lush and juicy, but firmly structured and vivacious, Schoenenbourg with a nice tannin grip, lingering and refreshing salinity. It has an exciting mineral structure in the finish and remains firm and precise. Very promising."
- Item #: i_351628Bottle Size: 750mlFrom 88 year-old vines, the oldest parcel of the domaine. A cushioned, deep, textured almost dark-fruity-chocolate nose. Mouth-filling, a little tannin plenty of supple structure, with a slightly more mineral and saline mid-palate and finish. Good flavour here. Very likeable wine…
- Item #: i_345431Bottle Size: 750MLROBERTPARKER.COM 93 POINTS: "Tasted blind at the Burgfest 2014 tasting, the 2014 Volnay 1er Cru Les Santenots-du-Milieu from Comtes Lafon is blessed with a sensual bouquet with plenty of dark cherry and blueberry fruit, maybe a slight malic scent just underneath. The palate is medium-bodied with sappy red berry fruit, a fine line of acidity, fresh and tensile with impressive mineralité coming through toward the finish. This is a stylish, well-crafted Santenots that should age well in bottle and may eventually merit a higher score. Tasted September 2017."
- Item #: i_350731Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 93 - 95 POINTS - "This is markedly more restrained with its reluctant aromas of brooding dark berry fruit, earth, sauvage and hints of dried flowers. There is excellent volume, concentration and imposing power to the big-bodied flavors that deliver plenty of minerality and outstanding persistence on the robust but balanced finish. This classically proportioned Clos de la Roche is indisputably going to require extended keeping."
- Item #: i_321806Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96+"This Vertus domaine numbers among my favorite addresses on the Cote de Blancs, and the Doyard family's vinous, incisive Champagnes deserve a place in any well-stocked cellar. Deep, concentrated and characterful, everything that bears the Doyard label is well worth serious attention." - William Kelley, The Wine Advocate.
The Doyards trace their roots in Champagne back to the 17th century. Maurice Doyard was the first in the family to make wine in the village of Vertus, officially signifying the domaine's foundation. In 1979, at the ripe old age of 20, Yannick Doyard took over the estate, quickly turning it into a beacon for precise, mineral-etched Champagnes they're known for today. They employ a 'non-dogmatic' approach to biodynamic farming, utilizing absolutely no herbicides or pesticides, and most vineyards are still worked by horse.
Yannick Doyard's pride and joy is his Clos de l'Abbaye which is a true tete de cuvee triumph from the beautiful 2013 vintage. Derived from an actual, walled "clos" in the heart of Vertus behind the family estate, the Clos de l'Abbaye is planted with 60-year-old Chardonnay vines, bio-dynamically-farmed and horse-plowed. Fermented and aged in older, neutral Burgundy barrels with no malo, it sees a long, 54 months sur lie prior to release at a mere 2 grams/liter of dosage.
Only in these very strange times would we be offered an augmented allocation a well as a discounted price on such a crown jewel. Quantity is limited, don't miss out on this truly remarkable Champagne.
WINE ADVOCATE 96+ POINTS - "The 2013 Extra-Brut Premier Cru Clos de l'Abbaye is brilliant, mingling notes of citrus oil, peach and pear with hints of wheat toast and walnuts in an incipiently complex bouquet. Full-bodied, deep and multidimensional, the vintage's racy acid spine is cloaked in a textural, enveloping core of fruit, concluding with a long and resonant finish. This derives from a walled 0.40 ha plot of 60-year-old cordon-pruned vines just behind the winery in Vertus; only the first press juice is used. This is a strikingly good Champagne."
- Item #: i_322316Bottle Size: 750mlBurghound: 90BURGHOUND 90 POINTS- OUTSTANDING! - "A well-layered and appealingly fresh combination features various red berries, floral, earth, herbal tea and sauvage hints. There is fine richness to the lively, intense and mineral-driven medium weight flavors that exhibit a distinct salinity on the beautifully complex, well-balanced and firm finale. Good stuff."
- Item #: i_350079Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 91-94 POINTS- OUTSTANDING! - "The perfumed, cool and airy nose is attractively elegant with its mix of red and dark currant, sandalwood, violet and lilac scents. The polished and equally cool middle weight flavors possess a wonderfully refined mouth feel thanks to the fine grain of the tannins along with ample minerality on the mildly austere, balanced and strikingly persistent finale. This is a classic Beaux Monts with an ultra-sophisticated mouth feel though note that this will need a few years of cellar time to fully harmonize."
- Item #: i_352105Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Wine Spectator: 98Vinous Media: 95James Suckling: 97WINE SPECTATOR 98 POINTS - "Honeysuckle, verbena and chamomile aromas stream out first, followed by a remarkably creamy core of yellow apple, white peach, heather honey and warm mirabelle plum notes. Hazelnut oil and brioche line the finish, adding considerable length. Despite all the lushness and depth, this manages to maintain a sense of tension and precision as well. Amazing wine."
- Item #: i_345629Bottle Size: 750MLBurghound: 92 - 95BURGHOUND 92 - 95 POINTS -"Don't Miss - Outstanding! This is also gorgeously spicy with ripe and very fresh black cherry, red currant and sandalwood aromas. There is superb intensity to the overtly mineral-driven and beautifully delineated middle weight flavors that are shaped by a very firm but not hard tannic spine as there is good phenolic maturity here. I very much like the balance of the long and quite serious finale that is an exercise in harmony, indeed this could aptly be described as quite Zen-like. In a word, brilliant."
- Item #: i_374181Bottle Size: 750mlLaherte is located in the Coteaux Sud d'Epernay not far outside of the city. Here the topography is hilly with a variety of aspects and soil types. This micro cuvee is drawn from Chardonnay vines planted on a west facing slope with thin top soil over a deep bedrock of Campanian chalk.
ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "Here in its first release, the 2014 Extra Brut Blanc de Blancs Les Grandes Crayères is another fabulous wine from Aurelien Laherte. Powerful in the glass, the 2014 possesses striking textural depth and resonance. This is an especially potent, structured expression of Chardonnay. I loved it. Dosage is 4 grams per liter. Disgorged: February 2018."
- Item #: i_345631Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92-94Burghound: 94BURGHOUND 94 POINTS: "A discreet application of wood is present on the exceptionally spicy nose of equally pure, cool and airy extract of red and dark berry fruit, violet and Asian-style tea aromas. There is good size and weight to the tautly muscled but suave, intense and detailed medium weight plus flavors that are underpinned by firm tannins and evident minerality on the succulent and mouth coating finish. This is perhaps a bit richer than it normally is at this early stage and should be approachable a bit earlier than usual but overall 2014 is a fantastic vintage for the Drouhin PM. Highly recommended."
eROBERTPARKER 92-94 POINTS: "The 2014 Vosne Romanée 1er Cru les Petits Monts was picked on September 16 and contains 20% whole cluster fruit. Due to be bottled next spring, it has a very fragrant, quite floral bouquet with black cherries, blueberry, minerals and rose petals -- very seductive and detailed. The palate is medium-bodied with svelte, quite lush black fruit, saline in the mouth with very fine tannins interlacing the finish. This is beautiful Petits Monts from Drouhin."
VINOUSMEDIA 91-92 POINTS: "(from a crop level of 28 hectoliters per hectare): Healthy red-ruby. Deeply pitched aromas of dark fruits, licorice and menthol reminded me a bit of Richebourg. Bone-dry and uncompromising in the mouth, with concentrated, well-delineated mineral and floral flavors dominating in the early going. Finishes with serious but fine-grained tannins and lovely floral persistence. Serious, firm and built to age." -- Stephen Tanzer
- Item #: i_345706Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92-94Burghound: 90-93Vinous Media: 90-93BURGHOUND 90-93 POINTS: " Here too there is enough wood to notice though not overshadow the otherwise fresh, cool and restrained nose of red and dark currant, earth, sauvage and discreet floral hints. There is excellent intensity to the well-delineated big-bodied flavors that possess impressive power and punch on the long and moderately austere finish. This excellent effort is a textbook Vaucrains that is absolutely going to require extended cellaring."
eROBERT PARKER 92-94 POINTS: "The 2014 Nuits Saint Georges 1er Cru les Vaucrains has a stylish bouquet with ebulliant red cherry, strawberry and cold stone scents that are beautifully defined. The palate is ripe and sensual on the entry with a keen line of acidity. The tannin here really express the propitious nature of les Vaucrains, imparting impressive detail and precision on the long, sustained finish. Superb!"
VINOUSMEDIA 90-93 POINTS: "Healthy dark red. Reticent but ripe aromas of dark berries, licorice and bitter chocolate. Bigger and sweeter than the Boudots, showing lovely vinosity and saline energy. This is strong, dark and dense in 2014, with the cru's sometimes rustic tannins rounded by the character of the year. Very long on the aftertaste." -- Stephen Tanzer
- Item #: i_379329Bottle Size: 750MLcépage 60% Pinot Noir, 40% Chardonnay
assemblage 100% 2014
village/vyd all Coeur de Cuvée and old vine sélection massale; 40% Pinot Noir from Mareuil-sr-Aÿ 1er Cru (Faubourg D’enfer, Croix Blanche, Pruche, Haut de Varille); 20% Pinot Noir from Aÿ Grand Cru (Cheuzelles, Pierre Robert, Le Leon, Pruche); 30% Chardonnay from Mareuil-sr-Aÿ 1er Cru (Beauregard, Ramonette, Buisson Saint Loup, Clef); 10% Chardonnay from Oiry Grand Cru and Chouilly Grand Cru
Jean-Paul Hébrart has been making some of the very finest wines in the Marne Valley for many years. They have long been favorites of ours. Peter Liem recently, said "Hébrart's wines just keep getting better and better. He's easily one of the best growers in Champagne." Hébrart's wines straddle ripe fruit character and intense soil expression, making them both complex and approachable. They are the wines you drink with people who think that they don't like Champagne.
- Item #: i_350027Bottle Size: 750mlBurghound: 92-95BURGHOUND 92 - 95 POINTS - "Reduction completely obscures the other aromas. As is usually the case the big-bodied flavors possess more size, weight and power and I particularly like the intensity flashed by the austere and backward yet remarkably deep and long finish. This is an imposing yet well-balanced effort that should age effortlessly for years to come."
- Item #: i_350026Bottle Size: 750mlBURGUNDY REPORT - "A super nose; wide, squeeky clean and with fine citrus complexity. A very mineral wine but slowly the citrus notes are released, there’s a growing intensity too. Long finsihing, as it should be. Excellent!"
- Item #: i_300151Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90Wine Spectator: 91ROBERTPARKER.COM 90 POINTS: "The 2014 Montlandrie, the Castillon Côtes de Bordeaux from Denis Durantou, is a blend of 75% Merlot, 20% Cabernet Franc and 5% Cabernet Sauvignon (yes, different to the percentages stated during primeur—happy to correct it now!). It offers attractive red cherry, wild strawberry and pastille-like scents on the pure bouquet, though maybe I discern a little more complexity on Denis' two Lalande-de-Pomerols, La Chenade and Les Cruzelles. The palate is medium-bodied with fine tannin. This feels a little compact at the moment (possibly because of the low pressure system on the day that I tasted?), although there is still commendable depth of fruit and a gentle grip on the persistent finish. I would just give this a couple more years in bottle."
WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS: "Ripe and forward, with a bold core of anise and cassis flavors that is carried by a well-embedded graphite spine. Shows toasted spice and anise hints on the finish but retains a racy feel. Drink now through 2024. 3,467 cases made." –JM
- Item #: i_379384Bottle Size: 750mlThis is 100-percent Pinot Meunier Special Club hails from four select parcels from the Les Fortes Terres vineyard in Cuisles. The warm, south-facing exposure of the site usually renders memorable Champagnes that are silky and full-bodied with plenty of depth. This 2014 edition is no exception as this review suggests:
VINOUS WINE MEDIA 92 POINTS-"The 2014 Brut Special Club Les Fortes Terres shows a more overt side of Meunier. Apricot, orange peel, chamomile, almond and spice notes are all kicked up a notch in this decidedly rich, sumptuous Champagne. Moreover, the Fortes Terres really stands out in this range for its bold, forward personality. Dosage is 3 grams per liter. Disgorged: November 18, 2018."
- Item #: i_350556Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-95WINE ADVOCATE 93 - 95 POINTS - "The 2014 Echézeaux Grand Cru comes from the usual two parcels in the vineyard that are harvested on the same day as usual and co-fermented. The 80% new oak is beautifully integrated with ebullient red cherry, raspberry and vanilla scents -- a bewitching bouquet. The palate is medium-bodied with fine tannin, the fruit effortlessly soaking up the new oak, leaving you with an intense, mineral-rich finish with a saline tang on the aftertaste. A divine Echézeaux."
- Item #: i_379358Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Disgorged in July 2018 with five grams per liter dosage, the 2014 Brut 1er Cru Blanc de Blancs Gastronome is showing beautifully, bursting from the glass with an expressive bouquet of ripe citrus fruits, Anjou pear, warm bread and fresh peach. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, fleshy but fine boned, with ripe but racy acids, a pretty core of fruit and an elegantly chalky finish."