- Item #: i_377200Bottle Size: 750MLWINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS-Honey, pastry dough and spice accents lace the patisserie plum and pear fruit in this rich Champagne, while vibrant acidity and a lacy mousse carry the flavor range to a long, zesty finish. Drink now through 2026. 1,400 cases made." -AN (09/17)
- Item #: i_352920Bottle Size: 750mlClaude Cazals "Clos Cazals" cuvee is rarely encountered because the firm reserves the lion's share of this flagship bottling for long time private clients and nearby Michelin-starred restaurants. Clos Cazals is a nine acre walled in vineyard that is situated behind the village church in the Grand Cru village of Oger in Champagne's Cote de Blancs region. This special bottling is made from fruit drawn from a small section in the clos that was planted back in 1957. The fact that the vineyard is enclosed gives the vines protection from the wind which results in grapes that are always the ripest in the village. This 2006 is our fourth vintage from the Clos and it could be our favorite to date as combines the deep seated fruit of the 2002 with the precision and elegance of the 2004. It's pale straw-gold in the glass with a very fine perlage. This 2006 captivates with aromas suggestive of assorted orchards fruits, almonds, honey, and lemon oil. The palate presents a long procession of flavors suggestive of lemon drops mingled with white flowers that slowly morph into notions of lime and baking spices all of which are seamlessly fused to a frim stony undercarriage. Another triumph from one of the very best terriors in all of Champagne.
- Item #: i_376327Bottle Size: 1.5LClos Cazals may be one of Champagne’s best-kept secrets. It sits tucked away in the Mesnil-sur-Oger, a Grand Cru village that is located in the Côte des Blancs just south of Epernay. In Champagne, a village is considered Grand Cru when it has been scored 100% by the CIVC (Comité Interprofessionnel du Vin de Champagne) for the quality of its grapes, a stringent and highly acclaimed achievement. Mesnil-sur-Oger has undoubtedly earned that accolade, evident in its Chardonnay grapes that thrive in these unique soils. Here, the soils can look almost blindingly white due to a higher content of chalk relative to most other villages in Champagne. One lesser known secret is that a substrata of Kimmeridgian soils are at their strongest concentration between Mesnil-sur-Oger and Avize, neighboring towns to the south and north, respectively. The Blanc de Blancs produced in this small village are amongst the world’s top echelon sparkling wines.
- Item #: i_350864Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 92 - 95 POINTS - "*Don't miss!* This is also surprisingly reserved and if not inexpressive, then reluctant though vigorous swirling coaxes a stunningly broad array of spice nuances as well as both blue and black fruit aromas that slide gracefully into rich, full, sweet and subtly mineral-infused flavors that are impressively powerful for the vintage and deliver simply huge length on the explosive and palate staining finish. This is not only classy but exceptionally stylish as well though note that it will need 12 to 15 years to reach its majority - it should be well worth the wait." Drink: 2018+
- Item #: i_375626Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS-"A firm, focused version that expands on the palate, offering a layered mix of white cherry, acacia blossom, smoked almond and pastry cream, with a finely detailed mousse. The lasting finish echoes hints of orange liqueur, mineral and ground ginger. Disgorged December 2014. Drink now through 2026. 655 cases made."
96 Points and Cellar Selection Wine Enthusiast 2017
- Item #: i_373441Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 93James Suckling: 93Wine Enthusiast: 93 PointsWINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "An elegant Champagne that offers flavors of poached pear, candied kumquat and dried cherry on a delicate mousse. Well-cut, with a lingering, mineral-tinged finish. Drink now through 2026."
JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "Some charming reductive toastiness on the nose ahead of ripe peach stone fruits and lemon citrus, as well as biscuity spices and grilled almonds. The palate carries plenty of yellow peach and lemon citrus fruit flavors. Acidity sits inside fleshy smooth fruit creating handy length and balance."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 93 POINTS - "The prestige cuvée from this producer, this has richness and a dense texture that brings out the ripe fruits. From a good, if not great, vintage, it is beautifully balanced, still young to taste and likely to age well. Drink now for the fruit or wait until 2018 for more maturity."
- Item #: i_311355Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "Tasted at Bordeaux Index's annual 10-Year On tasting in London. The 2006 Château Pape Clément has an intense bouquet that is very well defined, adorned with cassis, blueberry and subtle iodine scents that all gain momentum in the glass. The palate is medium-bodied with supple tannin, very well-judged acidity, the new oak neatly enmeshed and blessed with a precise, harmonious finish that lingers. This is a wonderful Pape Clément that will give much pleasure over the next 20 or 30 years."
- Item #: i_325508Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91PETER LIEM - CHAMPAGNEGUIDE.NET
Rating: **(*) (TWO AND A HALF STARS)
As always, this comes from old vines in Les Chétillons, which are now almost 90 years of age. An old-vine depth and complexity is apparent when comparing this with Moncuit's vintage 2004: this has more ripeness and weight, but it also has more complexity, more finesse and a more intense mineral expression, as well as greater length and refinement. The intensity of fruit flavor is impressive, staining the mid-palate with dark notes of citrus peel, red apple, melon and quince, and while this isn't necessarily an austere wine, it gives the impression of not possessing a single gram of excess weight. It's exceptionally streamlined and pure, finishing with elegantly sophisticated nuance and length, and it should develop superbly well in the cellar. Last tasted: 11/13