- Item #: i_321325Bottle Size: 750mlAntoine Bouvet checks all the boxes for those seeking artisanal-scale Champagne: limited production, long lees aging, low dosage, loads of depth, terrific value. Only 70 cases made. Mineral driven Champagne crafted from Pinot Noir and Chardonnay, hailing from France’s most famous sparkling wine region. 40+ year vines give way to concentrated fruit, with crisp acidity and distinct minerality. Aged for six years before disgorgement adds complexity, leading to a ripe and toasty wine displaying flavors of yellow stone fruit, honey, almond, and abundant brioche notes, thanks to extensive contact with the lees.
- Item #: i_352492Bottle Size: 750mlWINERY NOTES - The name of our second wine honours Baron Jacques-Maxime de Brane, who owned the estate in the 19th century. Blended from vats carefully selected for their suppleness, it is aged just like the First Wine, but for a 12-month period.
- Item #: i_352545Bottle Size: 750mlThe Beck-Hartweg vineyard has one more special feature: 25% is classified as Grand Cru Frankstein (only 4% of the total Grand Cru production of Alsatian wine has this classification) and is spread among four south-east sloping hillsides of solid granite. The mountain granite soil is a composite of light, stony,shallow sand and forces the roots to penetrate down into the rock fissures for nutrients which gives the wine crystalline minerality and long finish.
- Item #: i_379662Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Over the past decade and half Bolllinger has been quietly tweaking their production methods to reign in oxidation in the field and winery while still keeping the use of sulphur dioxide to a minimum. Their Champagnes are now more precise and fresher but still display authoritative power and persistence. This delicate balancing act is perfectly realized in this prodigious 2012 which is already a worthy rival to their legendary 2008.
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "Disgorged in July 2019, Bollinger's 2012 Brut La Grande Année is showing well, offering up an incipiently complex bouquet of crisp yellow orchard fruit, fresh peach, orange oil, toasted walnuts and dried apricot that's still quite reserved with less than a year on cork. Full-bodied, deep and muscular, the 2012 is blockier and broader-shouldered than its 2008 predecessor, with a weightier and even more concentrated palate built around a bright spine of acidity, concluding with a chalky finish that carries appreciably dry extract. This isn't quite as elegant as the exquisite 2008, but it is a superb effort and obviously built to age."
Bollinger has been the first Champagne House to achieve the certification of “Sustainable Viticulture in Champagne,” a new set of standards established by the Champagne governing body to encourage stronger viticulture practices. Bollinger in 2012 in addition was accredited with “High Environmental Value” certification in 2012.
The delicate color and golden hues are a sign of the wine’s maturity and Bollinger’s wine-making methods. A wonderful aromatic depth. The wine’s fruity, spicy and floral notes intertwine to reveal a highly complex nose; wild peach, plum and orange peel precede saffron and tonka bean, complemented by a fresh, mineral aspect. Dense and harmonious in the mouth. A creamy effervescence and fresh structure, with a gentle saline finish.
- Item #: i_353322Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 91WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "A big red, rich in texture, laced with black cherry, pomegranate and violet notes, showing hints of iron and earth. Features a solid structure underneath and finishes long and sappy."
- Item #: i_321102Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 96WINE ENTHUSIAST 96 POINTS: "*Cellar Selection* Firm and structured, this beautifully concentrated wine has plenty of the dark tannins that come out of Cabernet Sauvignon in Saint-Estèphe while allowing room for juicy fruit. The wood aging is still showing, giving some spice to the wine. At the end, it’s the density of the wine that’s so impressive."
- Item #: i_353254Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95WINE ADVOCATE 95+ POINTS: "With some of the oldest vines in all of Bordeaux, especially one parcel from 1905, Belair Monange’s 2012 (14.5% alcohol) is a tribute to this great terroir that was poorly managed and exploited prior to the family of Jean-Pierre Moueix taking over. Now it is Christian Moueix and his son Edouard who manage the property and produce the wine. The 2012 is a beauty, with a deep ruby/purple color, complex notes of minerals, crushed rock, red and black fruits, a medium to full-bodied mouthfeel, great texture, long finish and true ability and character. It should age beautifully for 20 or more years and yet be drinkable another three or four." (APRIL 2015)
VINOUS 95 POINTS: "The 2012 Bélair-Monange brings together power and finesse in what is a very complete expression of Saint-Emilion. Beams of supporting tannins give the 2012 much of its energy. Red stone fruit, chalk, mint, spice and expressive floral notes are all nicely delineated. I expect the Bélair-Monange will drink better earlier than the other top wines in the Moueix stable. This is the first vintage that incorporates the Magdelaine vineyards, which were annexed in 2012. Bélair-Monange is now under the direction of Edouard Moueix, who lives on the property and seems determined to take the estate to the top of the hierarchy in Saint-Emilion. The 2012 is certainly a strong move in that direction."
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS: "This is marked by a pleasantly firm chalky thread which frames and carries the core of pure damson plum, bitter cherry and red currant fruit. Light floral and alder notes hang in the background, while the minerality stretches everything out on the finish. Refined, restrained, long and should cellar well. Best from 2017 through 2027."
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS: "Wonderful wine for the vintage with firm and silky tannins, savory and ripe fruit as well as hints of earth and mushrooms. Chalk and citrus undertones. Full body and a beautiful finish. Addition of Magadeline vineyards shows promise and expanded quality. Better after 2017."
- Item #: i_374662Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS-"A 100% Pinot Noir here with a terrific floral nose: violets and red roses, some gently flinty reductive notes and red berries to boot. The palate's impressive thanks to plenty of tannin and a really impressive structure. Bold, long and very pure. Red-cherry-pip finish. Drink now."
- Item #: i_353981Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91+Wine Spectator: 93Vinous Media: 9193 points Wine Spectator Cherry and strawberry flavors override the slight reduction, led by the vibrant structure to a long, mouthwatering conclusion. Balanced, pure and focused, if compact, with a tight finish. This improves with air, so decant now or be patient. Best from 2018 through 2032."
91 points Robert Parker's Wine Advocate Tasted blind at the annual 'Burgfest' tasting in Beaune. The 2012 Nuits St Georges 1er Cru Clos des Porrets Saint Georges has a nose that you might describe as more generous in style vis-à-vis its peers, but there is plenty of red and black fruit here, very fine delineation and the oak is judiciously integrated. The palate is medium-bodied with supple, ripe tannins matched with a fine thread of acidity. This still feels primal, but there is class and elegance here, with just a dab of spice on the aftertaste. This has much more to give. My score tasted blind reflects more that this wine is at an typical awkward stage rather than its full potential at maturity, ergo the positive sign."
91 points Vinous The 2012 Nuits Saint-Georges Clos des Porrets Saint-Georges 1er Cru offers satisfying levels of red and black fruit on the nose, and quite seamless thanks to the oak being neatly entwined. Undergrowth scents gradually emerge with time. The palate is marked by ripe tannin, quite crisp and backward, yet it displays the pedigree noted on previous bottles. Tasted at the Gouges retrospective at La Cabotte."
- Item #: i_345526Bottle Size: 750MLeROBERT PARKER 96-98 POINTS: "Taking longer to develop in the glass than the exuberant and sexy la Mouline, the 2012 Cote Rotie la Turque (93% Syrah and 7% Viognier that will see four years in new oak) offers Bordeaux-like notes of lead pencil and graphite to go with olive, smoked herbs, pepper and ripe dark fruits. Possessing a touch less raw material than both the 2009 and 2010, it nevertheless has full-bodied richness, serious mid-palate depth, lots of sweet tannin and a fabulous finish. It will need 4-6 years of cellaring and drink well over the following two to three decades."
- Item #: i_3765008Bottle Size: 750mlDECANTER 90 POINTS - " "With a hazelnut, white pepper and spice bouquet, this cuvée is taut, medium-bodied and nicely balanced, with a citrussy finish. The blend is 35% Chardonnay, 35% Pinot Noir and 30% Pinot Meunier."
Huré Frères follows strict sustainable practices from vine to bottle and selects from massale vineyards-essentially plots that have been replanted with cuttings from the best-performing vines.
- Item #: i_345029Bottle Size: 750MLVINOUS 93 - 95 POINTS - "The Nuits St. Georges Aux Boudots is the richest and most voluptuous of the 2012 Nuits 1er Crus. Sweet raspberry, cinnamon, mint, new leather and licorice resonate off the palate in a generous, open Nuits loaded with class and pure textural volume. Flowers, dried herbs and mint add complexity over time. The 2012 should drink well with minimum cellaring because of its pure generosity and volume, but it also has more than enough stuffing to age well for a number of years. This is a great example of the Grivot house style at its very best."
STEPHEN TANZER 92 - 94 POINTS - "A sexy point of reduction to the aromas of wild dark cherry, smoke and violet. Offers a lovely blend of silky Vosne-side elegance and Nuits wildness and structure, showing superb clarity and cut to its flavors of wild small red berries. Finishes very long and juicy, with a firm spine of acids and tannins and lingering perfume."
BURGHOUND 93 POINTS - "As it was from barrel this is still noticeably reduced so if you're tempted to try a bottle in the name of science be sure to decant it first. This is a big and very rich wine with good muscle and punch to the well-detailed flavors that possess a lovely sense of underlying tension on the austere, balanced and strikingly long finish. This is a robust effort that in 2012 is more Nuits than Vosne in character. Note that my score assumes that the reduction is a passing phase."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2012 Nuits Saint-Georges 1er Cru Les Boudots from Etienne Grivot was one of the highlights from the horizontal. It has a very elegant and composed bouquet with gorgeous red cherry, cranberry and raspberry scents infused with cold stone and subtle undergrowth aromas. The palate is medium-bodied with very fine tannin, dark berry fruit intermingling with cola and brown spices, fanning out gloriously on the finish. You will finish it down to the last drop."
- Item #: i_333844Bottle Size: 750MLWINE SPECTATOR 92-95 POINTS: "Features pure, racy, floral cassis, violet and bergamot notes, with a long, mineral-tinged finish. Very expressive, this represents a noticeable step up from the second wine in this vintage. Tasted non-blind." –JM
ROBERT PARKER 91-94 POINTS:"The 2012 La Mission Haut-Brion, which represents 41% of the total production, is a blend of 62% Merlot and the rest Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon. Lots of tobacco leaf, forest floor, underbrush and red as well as black fruit aromas jump from this aromatic, seductive, open-knit La Mission. Medium to full-bodied, round, generous, lush and flattering to taste, even at this young age, it is built along the stylistic lines of the 2001 or 1999. Drink it over the next 15-20 years."
- Item #: i_378268Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93VINOUS WINE MEDIA 94 POINTS-"The 2012 Extra Brut Blanc de Blancs Grand Cru Les Chemins d'Avize is another powerful, deep wine that needs time in the glass to be at its best. In fact, the 2012 was not really fully expressive until it had been opened for about 24 hours. There is an inherent depth to the 2012 that just needs time to emerge. With air, the 2012 is broad and expansive, with the layers of fruit intensity and tension that are such signatures of Pierre and Sophie Larmandier's very best wines. What a gorgeous Champagne this is. Dosage is 2 grams per liter. Disgorged: March 2018."
- Item #: i_376844Bottle Size: 750mlThe Nicaise family has been making Champagne for four generations from their 22 acres of vines in the Premier Cru village of Hautvilliers a town famed as the home of Dom Perignon. The quality of this grower-producer really took a major step forward in 2007 when the latest generation, Laure Nicaise-Préaux and her husband Clement Préaux, officially started working at the house to help with the winemaking. Clément apprenticed at Selosse and worked at the Mailly co-op so he came armed with great training and experience. As his father-in-law has slowly yielded more control to him, Clement has lowered the dosages and improved the overall balance in the wines. From the excellent 2012 vintage this Chardonnay dominated (80%) Brut displays an effusive array of bright orchard fruits combined with outstanding precision and length. Drinks like a vintage Grande Marque costing twice its modest price.
- Item #: i_372984Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 93WINE ADVOCATE 97+ POINTS-"Aromas of clear honey, crisp green orchard fruit, white peach, pastry cream and dried white flowers introduce the 2012 Cristal, a full-bodied, concentrated and powerful wine that's built for the cellar. Broader, more textural and more muscular than the 2008 Cristal, with seemingly even greater reserves of structuring dry extract, the 2012 is incisive and searingly chalky. This is the first Cristal produced exclusively from organically farmed fruit, and it marks the opening of a new chapter for Louis Roderer. The blend is 60% Pinot Noir and 40% Chardonnay, vinified without malolactic fermentation and disgorged with 7.5 grams per liter dosage. Chef de Caves Jean-Baptiste Lecaillon has once again excelled himself."
JAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS-"Such attractive, fresh, floral aromas here with fine bread, hints of white almonds and a lemon edge. White cherries and strong, chalky minerals, too. The palate has a very composed feel. Seamless and quite silky texture with effortless length and flow. Very fluid and composed. Very late, warming almond flavors. This is very long and smooth with a velvety finish. Super long pinot weight. Resolved and drinkable, but will age so well."
- Item #: i_379962Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS-"The 2012 Cristal Rosé is showing brilliantly, unwinding in the glass with a beautiful bouquet of fresh peach, bergamot, strawberries, tangerine and blanched almonds that's still quite reserved. On the palate, the wine is full-bodied, deep and strikingly complete, its vinous attack segueing into a multidimensional core that exemplifies the ideal of power without weight, built around a racy but integrated spine of animating acidity and complemented by an exquisitely refined mousse. All the concentration of the 2012 vintage is on display, but it's rendered with terrific finesse. Decidedly youthful and introverted—indeed, I spent several hours with a bottle to compose this note—the 2012 will really come into its own with five or six years in the cellar and displays all the attributes necessary for considerable longevity. It's a blend of 56% Pinot Noir and 44% Chardonnay that saw no malolactic fermentation, and it was disgorged with eight grams per liter dosage."
- Item #: i_376559Bottle Size: 750MLWINERY NOTES: "Apples, stone fruits and wounderful aromas of freshly baked bread open to a full-bodied yet profoundly stony palate. Focused, fine and long on the finish, we beleive it will age well for at least a decade."
This limited (70 case) Millesime is a 50/50 blend of Grand Cru Chardonnay (Oger, Le Mesnil-sur-Oger, and Cramant) and Premier Cru Pinot Noir from Hautvillers and Cumieres. Hand harvested with 33% of the base wine undergoing malolactic feremtation followed by extended "Sur Latte" aging for 84 months.