- Item #: i_353121Bottle Size: 750mlDomaine la Barroche is a family estate that has been passed down from one generation to the next since the 14th century. Julien’s father, Christian Barrot, is passionate about viticulture and has taken meticulous care of the family’s 12.5 hectare of vines since the early 1970’s. Until Julien joined his father back in 2002, all of the wine had been sold in bulk to negociants. Now, half of the Grenache vines are more than 100 years-old and are some of the oldest found in Chateauneuf-du-Pape. Julien has moved to completely organic viticulture (not certified) and his father is still following his passion and continues to work in the vineyards. Taking all of his father’s work to the next level, Julien is now vinifying each grape variety and some parcels separately, studying and learning his holdings parcel by parcel.
The 2017 Domaine La Barroche Chateauneuf-du-Pape offers a singular wine personality, a delicate alchemy of spices and well-ripened black fruits, a delight for the senses.
- Item #: i_350860Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "A similar blend, the 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape Boisrenard checks in as 66% Grenache, 12% each of Syrah and Mourvèdre, and the balance a mix of permitted varieties, that saw 10% new oak. It has a thrilling bouquet of black cherries, cassis, bouquet garni, scorched earth, and graphite. Tasting like a Grand Cru Burgundy with its tension, purity, and elegance, it has building tannins, terrific concentration, and a great finish. Still tight, backward and reserved, hide bottles for 4-5 years if you can. It's going to be long-lived."
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "Mostly (66%) Grenache, with smaller amounts of Mourvèdre and Syrah (12% each), and tiny amounts of the other permitted varieties, the 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee Boisrenard is inky in color, with aromas that hint at toasted coconut, black cherries and chocolate. It's a rich, decadent, full-bodied sexpot of a CdP that possess admirable concentration, a wonderfully creamy-silky texture and a long, long finish."
- Item #: i_353886Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "Even better, the 2017 Rasteau Les Argiles Bleues (80/20 Grenache and Syrah) just screams Rasteau with its ripe, chocolaty dark fruit and scorched earth aromas and flavors. It’s rich, has tons of minerality, medium to full body, and a great finish. It’s capable of lasting for over a decade."
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Could the 2017 Rasteau Argiles Bleues be even better than the excellent 2016? It's certainly a big step up from the regular 2017 bottling. Ripe notes of cola, plum and dried spices lead into a full-bodied, expansive palate that's rich and velvety in texture, finishing long and layered. It should drink well for at least 6-7 years."
- Item #: i_351782Bottle Size: 750mlMarsanne from 100 year old vines
Bernard Faurie is the wise old man of the hill (the hill of Hermitage that is), the last of the Mohicans I’d say. Let’s start with the vines. Bernard is the fifth generation in a storied lineage working the same vines on the hill (yes, the very same, they are over 100 years old). His two principal cuvées are red Hermitages in two different blends: Gréffieux/Bessards and Bessards/Méal. Occasionally, despite his predilection, he’ll bottle a barrel of pure Méal. He also produces a miniscule quantity of Hermitage Blanc, an absolutely mesmerizing example from the lower slopes of Bessards that is wiry, stony, and coiled for many years of unfurling. Bernard’s wine has renewed a deep sense of understanding for us about what Hermitage really is, and what makes it special.
- Item #: i_353971Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95-97Jeb Dunnuck: 95WINE ADVOCATE 95-97 POINTS - "From the lieu-dit of the same name, the 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape La Guigasse is all undestemmed Grenache matured in demi-muids, possibly as long as 30-36 months, according to Baptiste Grangeon, who looks after the wines for American importer Peter Weygandt. Less perfumed than it is some years, it still positively bursts with raspberries and cherries, hints of cola and peppery spice. It's full-bodied, rich and silky-textured, with a long, plush yet vibrant finish that hints at mint and garrigue. Tasted twice (once blind), with consistent notes."
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "The 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape La Guigasse comes from a single lieu-dit in the heart of the appellation and is 100% Grenache that was not destemmed and brought up in old barrels. It’s a Provençal as they come offering a killer perfume of spiced red and black fruits, white pepper, garrigue, and herbes de Provence to go with a medium to full-bodied seamless style on the palate. It benefits from air, is perfectly balanced, and is a complex, layered, incredibly satisfying 2017 Châteauneuf du Pape that can be cellared today or cellared for 15 years or more."
- Item #: i_351375Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Wine Spectator: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "The 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape is another sunny, beautifully Provençal effort that has a huge nose of garrigue, raw steak, leather, truffle, and peppery spice. Medium to full-bodied, concentrated, and balanced, it’s not a massive Beaucastel yet it has a classic, Provençal, incredibly satisfying style that will benefit from 4-6 years of bottle age and keep for two decades."
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The full-bodied, dense 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape seems a bit closed at the moment, but Asian five spice powder still brings plenty of complexity and nuance to the rich, dark fruit aromas and flavors. Multidimensional, layered and long, this is another terrific vintage for Beaucastel's main cuvée, perhaps falling just slightly behind the 2016 and 2018."
- Item #: i_352383Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 94Vinous Media: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsWINE ADVOATE 94 POINTS - "Notes of smoked meat and cold fireplace mark the nose of Saint Cosme's 2017 Cote Rotie. It's medium to full-bodied, with a plush, seductive mouthfeel, supple tannins and a long finish. It should be a beauty."
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS, WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS, VINOUS 94 POINTS
- Item #: i_354233Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 96JEB DUNNUCK 96+ POINTS - "Made from 100% Grenache from a parcel next to the domaine, the 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape L'Avenue spent 18 months all in demi-muids. Notes of blueberries, spring flowers, sappy garrigue, and green peppercorns all give way to a medium to full-bodied, concentrated Grenache that has beautiful mid-palate density, building tannins, thrilling purity, and a great, great finish. It's a singular Grenache from this estate that's going to benefit from 4-5 years of cellaring and will keep for 15+. It's brilliant."
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "The 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape l'Avenue is 100% Grenache aged in demi-muids. Full-bodied, yet deceptively lithe and agile on the palate, it delivers a cornucopia of mixed red fruit—cherries, raspberries and strawberries—on the nose. In the mouth, it seems to darken a bit into black cherries, while adding a refreshing minty overtone. Tasted twice (once blind), with more tannin noted on one occasion but with a similar overall impression: a lovely expression of Grenache fruit that finishes silky and sublime, with a subtle dusting of Asian five spice powder."
- Item #: i_354231Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 95Vinous Media: 94-95Jeb Dunnuck: 95JEB DUNNUCK 95+ POINTS - "The 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape Val De Dieu is always the most modern style wine in the lineup and in 2017 is a blend of 66% Grenache and 34% Syrah that had the Grenache brought up in demi-muids and the Syrah in new barrels. Deep, saturated purple-colored, with notes crème de cassis, ground pepper, bouquet garni, and crushed flowers, it's medium to full-bodied and concentrated, with subtle background oak and a great, great finish. It's another brilliant example of this cuvée that will benefit from short-term cellaring and cruise for 15 years or more."
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "A beauty, with creamy raspberry, boysenberry and blackberry fruit flavors gliding atop a polished structure, while anise, bergamot, fruitcake and cinnamon notes filter through on the finish like dappled morning light. Reveals a subtle minerally echo at the very end. Thoroughly beguiling. Best from 2020 through 2035."
VINOUS 94-95 POINTS - "Bright violet. Oak-spiced cherry, dark berry and lavender scents show excellent clarity and pick up suggestions of licorice and rhubarb with aeration. Sweet and expansive in the mouth, offering appealingly sweet Chambord, cherry preserve and floral pastille flavors that show a suave marriage of depth and energy. Fine-grained tannins come in late on the impressively long finish, which strongly echoes the red fruit and floral notes."
- Item #: i_351076Bottle Size: 750mlLocated in the Languedoc region of the South of France, a stone’s throw away from the Mediterranean sea. Chateau Maris offers sustainable, organic wines. Maris Minervois wine is a blend of Syrah & Grenache, in AOP Minervois. Aromas of blackberry, black cherry, pepper, and blackcurrant. Attractive mouth with a fruited palate. A comforting everyday wine perfect for a roast, barbecue and sharing with friends.
- Item #: i_350566Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97Wine Spectator: 94Vinous Media: 96-97James Suckling: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 97JEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "More closed, yet still loaded with potential, the 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape La Reserve offers a tight, reserved bouquet of cassis and blackberry fruits intermixed with ample spice box, mineral, and meaty notes developing with time in the glass. Full-bodied, concentrated, and straight on the palate, it has beautiful depth and richness, yet needs 4-5 years of bottle age."
WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "Hints of cedar and vanilla from aging in 20% new demi-muids accent ripe black cherries in this full-bodied, silky-textured but concentrated wine that once again manages to combine richness with airiness, power with elegance and features a finish that lingers while being refreshing at the same time. It's still a major-league contender for wine of the vintage."
VINOUS 96 - 97 POINTS
DECANTER 96 POINTS
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS
- Item #: i_350340Bottle Size: 750mlWines from Le Clos du Caillou are Rhône blends at their most intense. Concentrated and richly textured, these organically raised, older-vine wines capture the spice and silk of old-vine Grenache grown on the region’s finest terroirs. Each wine too reflects the native perfumes of the south, the “garrigue” blend of thyme, rosemary and lavender that grows wild among the estate’s vines. Of all the terroir in the Côtes du Rhône appellation, the “clos” of Caillou has to be one of the most exceptional. Completely surrounded by Châteauneuf-du-Pape vineyards, this walled parcel of land was intentionally left out of the appellation by the owner, following a bureaucratic spat back in 1936. What this means today is that Caillou’s Côtes du Rhône wines are the qualitatively the same, with regard to terroir and exposition, as top Châteauneuf wines.
- Item #: i_351752Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 92 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 92 POINTS - "While this dry wine's crisp apple, white grapefruit and pear notes are understated on the nose and palate, its opulent, creamy mouthfeel is the showcase. Full bodied and honeyed yet not heavy, it shows hints of cashew, earth and saline complexities in development. Although drinking elegantly now, it should be even better from 2026."
- Item #: i_352348Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94-96Jeb Dunnuck: 97-99 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96-99 POINTS: "The 2017 Châteauneuf-du-Pape looks to be a huge success and reminds me of the 2007. As is normal, Vincent keeps multiple foudres with different blends (as well as a foudre of the final blend), and it's always incredibly educational tasting through the different barrels. The final blend has a classic, sweet bouquet of kirsch, spices, and garrigue, and it's full-bodied, deep, and thrillingly concentrated on the palate. The blend is shifted more toward Mourvèdre due to the tiny quantity of Grenache in the vintage, which makes me think this cuvée might close down shortly after bottling, but it's upfront and incredibly expressive today."
DECANTER 96 POINTS: "There's 10% less Grenache in the blend this year, topped up with extra Mourvèdre which certainly makes itself felt. The final assemblage has a lovely depth and concentration of fruit, and is relatively tannic and structured in this vintage. It has plum and violet lift to the aromatic profile, and perhaps sacrifices a little elegance for power and potency in 2017 - not necessarily a bad thing, depending on your taste. A Clos des Papes for the depths of the cellar."
ROBERT PARKER 94-96 POINTS: "Paul-Vincent Avril and I tasted from several foudres of the 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape. Foudre #17 was Syrah-heavy, with plenty of blueberry and blackberry fruit tinged with licorice. Full-bodied and rich, it was also silky and long (93 - 95 points). Number 19 was 55% Grenache and 45% Mourvèdre, more floral, herbal and spicy, with black cherry fruit and ample concentration (95 - 97 points). From #18, an approximation of the final 60,000-bottle blend, the wine was full-bodied and velvety, ripe and concentrated without going over the top, with cherry and blueberry fruit that lingered on the finish (94 - 96 points). According to Avril, the 2017 will be approximately 45% Grenache and 40% Mourvèdre, with the balance mainly Syrah, and a finished alcohol of about 15.3% (less than in 2016) Tasting in the cellar at Clos des Papes with Paul-Vincent Avril is an experience not to be missed, as he drops winemaking facts and philosophical nuggets into every discussion. With the focus on crafting only a single cuvée of red and white Châteauneuf-du-Pape, a visitor inevitably misses out on many of the decisions that led to the blending of any given foudre's contents, but it is easier to see a picture of the overall vintage, at least as seen through the lens of Avril's winemaking. Grenache yields in 2017 were approximately 15 hectoliters per hectare, versus 25 hectoliters per hectare in 2016, so there is much less wine, and the 2017 Clos des Papes will have a higher proportion of Mourvèdre."
- Item #: i_352742Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Decanter: 90 to 95 point scoreJEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "I always love this cuvée, and the 2017 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Les Quartz offers a terrific perfume of black raspberries, white flowers, orange blossom, honeysuckle, and crushed rocks. It's medium to full-bodied, seamless, and finesse-driven on the palate, with the pure, elegant style of the estate front and center. It picks up more minerality with time in the glass, is beautifully balanced, and has a great finish."
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape Les Quartz features scents of black olives and black cherries on the nose. It's a full-bodied, dense, tightly packed wine that will need time to fully express itself—is it a modern-day 2005? Ample cherry and stone fruit appear on the long, intense finish, confirming the terrific potential this wine possesses."
DECANTER 95 POINTS - "Grown half on galets and half on sand in lieu-dit Les Cassanets, the fruit is destemmed and fermented mostly in concrete, before being matured in demi-muid, except for a 10% portion in amphora. It has a highly individual aromatic profile, very dark and brooding. The full-bodied palate features black fruits with a lovely sense of purity and line. There's real weight and presence without heaviness, and wonderful harmony and balance. A highly polished wine with a slight sweetness to the fruit and a very long finish. The best Quartz in some time from Clos du Caillou - real depths to explore here despite the polish."
- Item #: i_352497Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Decanter: 90 to 95 point scoreJeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsDECANTER 94 POINTS - "Sourced from lieu-dit Les Bédines, the fruit is destemmed and fermented in concrete, then matured 75% in foudre and 25% in demi-muid. Loganberry and bay leaf notes display burgeoning complexity, leading to a very full-bodied and flowing palate with highly polished red berry fruit. It has great finesse in a highly tailored style, with incredible silkiness to the tannins - they're plentiful but super-fine. Captivating and seductive."
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "More elegant as well as more complex, the 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape Les Safres boasts beautiful notes of kirsch liqueur, new saddle leather, garrigue, and pepper incense. Rounded, beautifully textured, and elegant, with ultra-fine tannins, it's a seamless, sensational Châteauneuf Du Pape wine that shines on all accounts. It shows the sunny, sexy style of the vintage and is approachable today yet will keep for 15+ years or more."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Hints of rosemary and pine accent cherries and apricots in the Grenache-dominated 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape Les Safres. Full-bodied, rich and velvety, it finishes long and intense. Already drinking well, it should continue to do so through 2030."
- Item #: i_351165Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 91 - 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Cotes du Rhone Les Quartz looks to be something special. Full-bodied, concentrated and velvety, it delivers intense fruit notes of ripe raspberries and stone fruit that linger on the finish."
JEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "The 2017 Côtes Du Rhône Les Quartz is a step up, offering complex kirsch, black raspberry, spice, and garrigue notes as well as some toasted bread hints. It's rounded, supple, and beautifully balanced, with fine tannins and a great finish."
- Item #: i_333944Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsROBERT PARKER 97 POINTS: "The 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape La Combe des Fous is full-bodied, rich and velvety, yet it also possesses more freshness and concentrated berry fruit than the Vieilles Vignes bottling. An absolute beauty of a beast, it delivers ripe raspberries and cherries, a gentle dusting of Asian spice and a long, long finish."
JEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS: "The 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape La Combe Des Fous checks in as a normal blend of 70% Grenache, 20% Syrah, and the rest Vaccarèse and Cinsault, raised in tank and demi-muids. Kirsch liqueur, white flowers, graphite, ground pepper, and obvious minerality all emerge from this ethereal yet powerful, concentrated 2017. It's very much in the more Provençal, elegant style of this vintage, yet has classic Clos Saint Jean purity, style, and power. It's a gorgeous wine."
- Item #: i_349978Bottle Size: 750mlJEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - " Renaissance from Cristia is a beauty! A normal blend of 60% Grenache and 40% Mourvèdre that comes from old vines planted in sandy soils, it reveals a medium ruby/purple color as well as a pure, elegant bouquet of crème de cassis, jammy blackberries, candied violets, incense, and spiced meats. This ripe, powerful, concentrated, and full-bodied, Châteauneuf du Pape has awesome purity, silky tannins, and one hell of a great finish. So of the oak that was present when I tasted this from barrel has integrated nicely and this beauty can be drunk anytime over the coming 15 years."
- Item #: i_349977Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - " Moving to the two 2017s, the 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape Vieilles Vignes checks in as 100% Grenache coming from a single parcel in the Cristia lieu-dit, in the heart of the appellation and was brought up mostly in old barrels, with 30% in new demi-muids. Revealing a more ruby/plum color, it has an incredible nose of spiced red and black fruits, ground pepper, garrigue, and spring flowers. These all carry to a full-bodied, layered, elegant Grenache that has silky tannins, flawless balance, and a great, great finish. It’s already complex and ready to go today yet will cruise for 10-15 years in cold cellars."
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - Possessing more concentration and richness than the other Cristia cuvées, the 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape Vieilles Vignes—sourced from 95-year-old Grenache vines in the Cristia lieu-dit—combines hints of cedar and vanilla from the barrels in which it matured with ripe raspberries and black cherries. Full-bodied and intensely flavored, it delivers those things without any sense of heaviness, remaining fresh, silky and elegant from boldly aromatic start to long, nuanced finish. Yum!
- Item #: i_345248Bottle Size: 750MLJeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "Both the 2017s showed brilliantly. The 2017 Rasteau offers a raspberry and blackberry core of fruit as well as complex notes of sappy garrigue, mint, and even a hint of basil. Based on 80% Grenache, 17% Syrah, and 3% Mourvèdre, brought up in foudre, drink this medium to full-bodied, seamless Rasteau any time over the coming 5-7 years."
- Item #: i_353120Bottle Size: 750mlIt tastes like a Châteauneuf du Pape with its juicy black raspberry, violets, peppery herbs and distinct minerality. This comparison is certainly still valid on the palate, as well and its medium to full-bodied, concentrated and structured, with a sappy, grippy style that will evolve nicely for 7-8 years or more. Don’t let the Vin de France label sway you, this is the real deal. Jeb Dunnuck pour Robert Parker – Octobre 2016
- Item #: i_353080Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "More Grenache-dominated, the 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape La Dame Voyageuse is billed as the early drinker from this estate. Nevertheless, the quality certainly doesn't lag the top cuvée by much. The 2017 checks in as a blend of 90% Grenache, 4% each of Syrah and Mourvèdre, and the balance a mix of permitted varieties, brought up largely in very old barrels. Its deep ruby/purple color gives way to an incredibly sexy, voluptuous wine that's loaded with notions of black raspberries, wild strawberries, ground herbs, pepper, and hints of chocolate. Broad, expansive, silky, and seamless on the palate, this brilliant wine has more upfront appeal than the more concentrated La Reine Des Bois, yet I wouldn't put it past this to age just as long."
- Item #: i_352372Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Decanter: Score above 95 pointsDECANTER 96 POINTS - "Sweet and opulent, this is really rather yummy with abundant notes of blueberry, thyme, blackcurrant, spice and olives. Very dense, textured, saline and toothsome; powerful but very drinkable. Great development potential."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Depending on which exact components go into the blend (and the actual blending decisions), I suspect the 2017 Lirac La Reine des Bois could be slightly different from these composite impressions. That said, all the potential puzzle pieces I tried were excellent. Expect a full-bodied, rich and velvety wine, with hints of boysenberries, blueberries and vanilla, with more length and verve than the regular bottling."
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "The flagship is the 2017 Lirac La Reine Des Bois, a Mourvèdre-heavy blend that includes 30% each of Syrah and Grenache. Its deep purple color is followed by stunning notes of blackberries, cassis, graphite, earth, and peppery herbs. Full-bodied, rich, concentrated, and voluptuous, it has no hard edges, remarkable purity, and a blockbuster finish. It's a decidedly sexy, forward, opulent wine from this estate to enjoy over the coming 7-8 years."
- Item #: i_350090Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94VINOUS 94 POINTS - "Brilliant ruby-red. Vibrant, sharply focused red fruit, floral, garrigue and exotic spice qualities on the highly expressive nose. Intense raspberry, bitter cherry, succulent herbs and candied lavender flavors show superb delineation and no excess weight. Finishes with impressive persistence, sneaky tannins and resonating floral and spice notes. This graceful wine should age effortlessly on its balance."