- Item #: i_350029Bottle Size: 750mlIn 2009, the château’s new owner, le Comte de Colbert, asked Yves Lambert and his son, Arnaud, from Domaine de Saint-Just, to manage the estate. They accepted with a twenty-five year lease and immediately began a hard work of converting these historical vineyards to organic culture after more than fifty years of chemical farming. Today, five after many years of quality farming and the deft touch of Arnaud, the brilliance of the wines known centuries ago is reemerging.
Inside the bottle: The wine starts out aromatically expressing the magic that limestone imparts to its local vine community. Pure and striking fruits, like sweet lime, meyer lemon with lemon curd, exotic spice and flint dart out of the glass and into the nose. If you can manage to keep it in the glass for a couple of hours of slow observation and drinking, the wine will take you on a rollercoaster of highs that seem only to climber higher with every passing minute. Acidity? More than you can imagine but somehow it presents itself gently on the finish after a somewhat overwhelming initial attack from the first sip. The wine hasn’t a drop of tropical or rich, ripe fruit notes because this cold site rarely has a chance to develop botrytis, even in ideal years. The topsoil is pure sand with limestone gravel that has been unearthed from the tuffeau limestone that sits on thirty centimeters below the soil. It’s pure sand and limestone soils make it the most unique soil structure on the hill. Anyone would be hard-pressed to find a white wine in the world that carries this fair of a price.
- Item #: i_353318Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "This offers an expressive mix of yellow apple, persimmon and Meyer lemon flavors infused with light notes of hazelnut and hints of smoke. The acidity is electric, giving this plenty of verve and carrying all the elements to the long and seductive, lightly floral finish."
- Item #: i_374376Bottle Size: 750MLThe Champalous are masters of Loire Chenin Blanc, producing Vouvray in all styles; this still, dry rendition, aged in stainless steel, represents their flagship cuvee. Gentle and refreshing on the palate, it boasts a delightful balance of stony minerality with luscious, almost honeyed fruit and flowery notes, making for a great aperitif or easy pairing with all sorts of dishes.
- Item #: i_344231Bottle Size: 750MLBrézé is a unique site due to its relatively high elevation and eminently nuanced geological profile. The high composition of tuffeau, a porous, chalky limestone also used in the construction of much of the Loire’s Renaissance architecture, results in finely mineral Chenin Blanc. Clay and sand also lend themselves to the diversity of the terroirs, giving body to the reds and richness to the whites. With five historic and clearly delimited Clos to work with, the Lambert duo has the incredible opportunity to truly understand and reveal the distinctions within this extraordinary appellation.
- Item #: i_345762Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 94VINOUSMEDIA 94 POINTS: "The 2018 Montlouis Les Tuffeaux is explosive in the glass. Soaring citrus, floral pear and slate-infused aromatics lead into a rich, creamy palate that fills out beautifully. The 2018 is generous and so inviting, and yet remains airy, with beams of salinity that frame the subtle, nuanced finish. A wine of understatement and class, the 2018 is just gorgeous today. The balance of sweetness, acid and structure is compelling, with the sugar present and yet so well-integrated, in the wine’s magical balance."
- Item #: i_302102Bottle Size: 750ML100 % CHENIN BLANC - No dosage. This feels beautifully fresh, energetic, with polished orchard fruit nose, complemented by a light and minerally seam. The palate is certainly vivacious, filled with desiccated fruit, backed up by great acidity, and a fine pétillance. Full, composed, and striking, with a long, fruit-rich finish, this is very impressive.
- Item #: i_345502Bottle Size: 750MLCERTIFIED ORGANIC
• 100% Chenin Blanc
• 50-60 year old vines in Noizay
• Very thin layer of clay sitting over pure limestone
• Indigenous yeasts
• No malo
• Fermented and aged in barrel (20% new, 80% 1-4 year old barrels
- Item #: i_351745Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The 2018 Vouvray Le Mont Moelleux is clear, deep, pure and flinty on the intense but fine and coolish-mineral nose. Very distinctive! Lush and intense but also pure, vital and tensioned on the palate, this elegant and seductive Le Mont offers a straightforward drive and a highly complex and energetic finish with grip and great mineral tension. A gorgeous, crystalline, persistently salty and tightly woven Chenin with great complexity and energy. Very attractive already today!"
- Item #: i_302660Bottle Size: 750MLJean-Claude Pichot’s family is one of the oldest inVouvray, with origins as viticulturists and restauranteursdating back to 1739. The family cellars are located in thecharming village of Vouvray, in caverns hewn from therolling hills which were once quarried to provide stoneto construct the grand châteaux of the Loire. In fact, thePichot home is itself part house and part cavern, with adramatic hearth carved from the rock. Jean-Claude wasone of six sons, but the only one to continue the familytradition of vigneron.Tasting notes: golden raisins on the nose and on thepalate. Grape juicy, like table grape concentrate. Easyto drink, already well-balanced with some elements ofcloves, butter tarte tatin and a touch of maple sugar.Good fruit extension with some grapefruit and apple skinon the finish.
- Item #: i_300104Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 92VINOUSMEDIA 92 POINTS: "The 2017 Montlouis Clos Habert is a fabulous choice for readers who enjoy the richer side of Loire Chenin. Orange peel, burnt sugar, chamomile and lightly honeyed notes are all laced together in a wine that offers superb flavor density and concentration while remaining light on its feet. There is so much to like here. Clos Habert will be especially rewarding when served along richer dishes and fresh cheeses."
- Item #: i_351377Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94VINOUSMEDIA 94 POINTS: "The 2018 Montlouis Les Argiles is bright, finely cut and remarkably nuanced. White orchard fruit, chalk, mint and white pepper give the Argiles a striking aromatic upper register. The Argiles, which emerges from clay-rich soils, impresses more with energy than the breadth I expected. Perhaps that will develop in bottle. This chiseled, finely-cut Chenin has a ton to offer. Bright saline notes punctuate the finish."
- Item #: i_345003Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 93VINOUSMEDIA 93 POINTS: "The 2018 Montlouis Choisilles is a blend from the Les Epinais, La Taille aux Loups and Clos au Renard lieu-dits. Dry and bracing in the glass, with tremendous energy, the Choisilles is beautifully delineated, with sweet floral notes and bright acids that round things out so well. Citrus confit, white flowers, chamomile and crushed rocks lead into the sculpted finish."
- Item #: i_354143Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 95VINOUSMEDIA 95 POINTS: "Chidaine’s 2018 Montlouis Clos du Breuil is marked by a real feeling of old-vine density. Apricot, peach, tangerine oil and spice all build in a viscous, oily Chenin that is all about texture. Powerful and classy, the Clos du Breuil is fabulous. Time in the glass just brings out the wine’s depth and intensity, with a hint of tropical exoticism that lingers on the finish."
- Item #: i_353681Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95+WINE ADVOCATE 95+ POINTS: "The 2018 Vouvray Le Mont Moelleux Première Trie is pure, deep and flinty on the concentrated nose, with very fine oak, toffee and potted ginger aromas. Lush, sweet and generous yet precise and crystalline on the palate, it features very fine tannins, lingering salinity and positive energy. This is a compact, persistent, tightly woven and stimulating Chenin from the Le Mont terroir that reveals firm, tensioned structure and a young finish with potential to improve and refine."
- Item #: i_375446Bottle Size: 750mlThe wine is a brilliant pale gold. On the nose, there is a fine bouquet full aromas of white flowers and yellow fruit such as pears. One finds citrus notes such as grapefruit. The attack is gentle with a lovely vivacity where one finds agreeable notes of grapefruit on the lingering finish. It is a lovely wine, ripe and refreshing.
- Item #: i_322561Bottle Size: 750MLFrom a ripe vintage comes this rich Chenin Blanc redolent of lanolin, pollen, ripe pear and quince over a base of wet stones. The richness in the mouth is cut but the rapier like acidity and the fruit is contrasted nicely by the crisp mineral notes.
- Item #: i_353165Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 96CERTIFIED ORGANIC
DECANTER 96 POINTS - "Occupying the highest point on the slope, Hauts de Husseau's soils feature less chalk but plenty of marine fossils. Here grow the domaine's oldest vines, with very deep roots. This wine is all about focused richness, displaying a saline nose with rich, pineappley scents. The palate is very intense but retains a sense of purpose, chanelling the ripe apple and sweet pineapple flavours down the centre while salinity floods the edges."