- Item #: i_374376Bottle Size: 750MLThe Champalous are masters of Loire Chenin Blanc, producing Vouvray in all styles; this still, dry rendition, aged in stainless steel, represents their flagship cuvee. Gentle and refreshing on the palate, it boasts a delightful balance of stony minerality with luscious, almost honeyed fruit and flowery notes, making for a great aperitif or easy pairing with all sorts of dishes.
- Item #: i_353023Bottle Size: 750mlOne of the oldest and most celebrated domaines in Savennières, Chateau d’Épiré is rich in history, not only for its fabulous architectural rendition of the Petit Trianon of Versailles, but most especially for its exquisite wines. This cuvée is dry and accessible with notes of exotic fruits. Delicious and spectacularly complex, and it shows a value disproportionate to their pedigree.
- Item #: i_350029Bottle Size: 750mlIn 2009, the château’s new owner, le Comte de Colbert, asked Yves Lambert and his son, Arnaud, from Domaine de Saint-Just, to manage the estate. They accepted with a twenty-five year lease and immediately began a hard work of converting these historical vineyards to organic culture after more than fifty years of chemical farming. Today, five after many years of quality farming and the deft touch of Arnaud, the brilliance of the wines known centuries ago is reemerging.
Inside the bottle: The wine starts out aromatically expressing the magic that limestone imparts to its local vine community. Pure and striking fruits, like sweet lime, meyer lemon with lemon curd, exotic spice and flint dart out of the glass and into the nose. If you can manage to keep it in the glass for a couple of hours of slow observation and drinking, the wine will take you on a rollercoaster of highs that seem only to climber higher with every passing minute. Acidity? More than you can imagine but somehow it presents itself gently on the finish after a somewhat overwhelming initial attack from the first sip. The wine hasn’t a drop of tropical or rich, ripe fruit notes because this cold site rarely has a chance to develop botrytis, even in ideal years. The topsoil is pure sand with limestone gravel that has been unearthed from the tuffeau limestone that sits on thirty centimeters below the soil. It’s pure sand and limestone soils make it the most unique soil structure on the hill. Anyone would be hard-pressed to find a white wine in the world that carries this fair of a price.
- Item #: i_344231Bottle Size: 750MLBrézé is a unique site due to its relatively high elevation and eminently nuanced geological profile. The high composition of tuffeau, a porous, chalky limestone also used in the construction of much of the Loire’s Renaissance architecture, results in finely mineral Chenin Blanc. Clay and sand also lend themselves to the diversity of the terroirs, giving body to the reds and richness to the whites. With five historic and clearly delimited Clos to work with, the Lambert duo has the incredible opportunity to truly understand and reveal the distinctions within this extraordinary appellation.
- Item #: i_353223Bottle Size: 750mlEvelyne de Pontbriand took over her venerable family estate—known historically as the Château des Vaults but now as Domaine du Closel—in 2001 in a career change from teaching French literature. Her mother Michèle de Jessey was a notable figure in the Chenin-only appellation of Savennières, having inherited the estate from her aunt, Madame du Closel; she was devoted to all things Savennières, and even became its president, the first woman to run an AOC.
Evelyne inherited her mother’s passion and technical acuity and now meticulously manages the estate, which comprises 13 hectares of Chenin Blanc (as well as 3 of Cabernets Franc and Sauvignon). The estate was certified organic in 2006 and received full biodynamic certification as of the 2015 vintage. Savennières is a famously unique, intense, savory and structured expression of Chenin Blanc, thanks to the preponderance of schist, a form of slate, in its soils; Evelyne has learned from her 16 years on the job that meticulous, minimal farming and winemaking is the most effective way to convey its essence.
100% Chenin Blanc. La Jalousie is a blend of several parcels of younger (20-year-old) vines planted in schistous soils on gentle hills. Like the rest of the Closel vines, they are biodynamically farmed, low-yielding and harvested by hand. They are the first of the estate to be harvested, when the grapes are pale yellow, crisp and totally healthy. The bunches are direct-pressed, then fermented with native yeasts and a small amount of sulfur in tank. The wine is tank-aged on its lees, without any exposure to air, for 9 months before bottling. Normally, Jalousie doesn't go through malo but in the warm 2018 vintage, it did so. Jalousie is intended to be a modern rendition of Savennières: approachable and fresh in its youth, as a result of not being over-ripened, botrytis-influenced or long- or wood-aged.
- Item #: i_350578Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Green plum and verbena notes lead the way for now, with a flash of quinine on the finish. This is juicy, but still a bit compact overall, with the core of ample pear, quince and ginger flavors in reserve. Just wait for everything to knit together and stretch out, as the purity and length are there. Best from 2018 through 2028."
- Item #: i_351742Bottle Size: 750mlJOHN GILMAN 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Sec bottling from the Le Mont vineyard is another gem from Domaine Huët. The bouquet is bright, pure and nascently complex, offering up scents of lemon, apple, quince, bee pollen, chalky soil tones and a topnote of spring flowers. On the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied and more closed in personality than the Le Haut Lieu Sec, with a bit of the backend dustiness of shutdown young Vouvray already starting to throw its weight around, but with excellent depth at the core and impressive focus. The finish is long, beautifully balanced and intensely flavored, with great energy and grip. This is dynamite wine in the making but unlike the Le Haut Lieu Sec, I would be tempted to tuck this away in the cellar right away and not drink any bottles during its first couple of years, as I have the sense that this is going to shut down quite briskly and it will be pointless to waste bottles early on, particularly given how much potential there is here for down the road!"
- Item #: i_351745Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS - "A beauty, with an inviting display of succulent yellow apple, green plum, pear, persimmon and quince flavors that ripples lengthily through the finish, while light verbena, ginger and honeysuckle notes dart around. A long green tea echo runs through the finish. Shows terrific range and purity, with the sweetness easily harnessed for balance. Best from 2019 through 2040."
- Item #: i_302660Bottle Size: 750MLJean-Claude Pichot’s family is one of the oldest inVouvray, with origins as viticulturists and restauranteursdating back to 1739. The family cellars are located in thecharming village of Vouvray, in caverns hewn from therolling hills which were once quarried to provide stoneto construct the grand châteaux of the Loire. In fact, thePichot home is itself part house and part cavern, with adramatic hearth carved from the rock. Jean-Claude wasone of six sons, but the only one to continue the familytradition of vigneron.Tasting notes: golden raisins on the nose and on thepalate. Grape juicy, like table grape concentrate. Easyto drink, already well-balanced with some elements ofcloves, butter tarte tatin and a touch of maple sugar.Good fruit extension with some grapefruit and apple skinon the finish.
- Item #: i_333869Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 96WINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS - "Bold, lush and tropical in feel, with creamed papaya and mango notes seamlessly gliding together, while coconut, green plum, ginger, quince and white peach flavors fill in the background. Offers a succulent finish, but stays pure and steady thanks to perfectly embedded acidity. Best from 2015 through 2030. 250 cases imported."
- Item #: i_353445Bottle Size: 750mlNATURAL WINE
The Chenin du Jardin Naturiste is 100% Chenin blanc, aged for six months in steel. He (the garden gnome on the front), bares his butt, because he is all natural. The wine has zero Sulphur added and certified organic farming.
Bright, crisp, dry, mineral driven – green apple, lots of citrus notes, lime zest and lemon with some pineapple fruit in the finish.
- Item #: i_350095Bottle Size: 750mlLocated in Loire Valley, Laffourcade's Savennières is medium bodied dry wine with a floral and melony character, with hints of honeysuckle and beeswax. This Savennieres possesses crisp acidity, penetrating flavors, and a dry, heady, mineral-laced finish. A beautiful wine!
- Item #: i_375446Bottle Size: 750mlThe wine is a brilliant pale gold. On the nose, there is a fine bouquet full aromas of white flowers and yellow fruit such as pears. One finds citrus notes such as grapefruit. The attack is gentle with a lovely vivacity where one finds agreeable notes of grapefruit on the lingering finish. It is a lovely wine, ripe and refreshing.
- Item #: i_351513Bottle Size: 750mlThe vineyard was planted in 1130 by Cistercian monks and today consists of vines aged from 35 to 80 years old. The old small monastery still exists and a few hundred meters away, the castle of La Roche aux Moines was built and dismantled during the wars of religion. Always considered as a rare and unique product, the Serrant Casting was celebrated by Louis XI and Louis XIV as one of the best French white wines. The vineyard is cultivated partly by hand and partly by horse because of the steep slopes overlooking the Loire. Since 1984, the entire estate has been cultivated using biodynamic farming methods. Three wines are produced in small quantities on the property and benefit from the principles of biodynamic.
- Item #: i_334150Bottle Size: 750ML"Les Vieux Clos leaves quite an impression on the palate, with lingering flavors of succulent pear, quince, and baked apple all mingling with chamomile, honey and roast almonds. A bright acidity balances the rich texture of this wine." Producer