- Item #: i_376772Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS-"Unfortunately I was only able to taste one new release from Andre Clouet this year. The NV Brut Grande Reserve emerges from the glass with layers of hazelnut, pear, spice and dried flower aromas. This rich, creamy wine impresses for its balance and sheer richness. I loved it. This is Lot L06. Anticipated maturity: 2011-2014."(11/11)
Fashioned from 100% Bouzy and Ambonnay Pinot Noir form the 2009 and 2008 vintages with 30% of the base wine fermented in used Sauterenes barrels. The bouquet is open airy with inviting sourdough, yellow plum, citrus and Macintosh apple notes. This is a concentrated, but not at all ponderous, Champagne with a palate that features appetizing summer and citrus fruits seamlessly wedded to oak derived notions of honey, toast and brown spices. The low (6g/l) dosage works well here to keep everything lively while also letting Champagnes chalk and soil character to come to the fore. This intricately crafted Brut beautifully marries power and poise in way that one seldom finds at this low price point.
- Item #: i_325288Bottle Size: 750MLThis is the hip ultra-luxury cuvee made by Cattier. It is packaged in a gold bottle with a pewter card-spade with an A on it instead of a label, giving rise to the nick-name ace of spades. It is a favorite of many musicians and has been popping up in celebrity circles and music videos. It is made exclusively from Premier and Grand Cru-rated villages in three different terroirs: Montagne de Reims, Vallée de la Marne and Côte des Blancs. The blend is 40% Chardonnay, 40%, Pinot Noir, and 20% Pinot Meunier.The original de Brignac name was registered by the Cattier family in the late 1940s or early 50s, according to Jean-Jacques Cattier. It was chosen at that time by his mother, who had been reading a novel featuring a character named de Brignac. In naming the new Champagne itself, Cattier states those involved came up with Armand, it sounded kind of noble.
- Item #: i_321859Bottle Size: 750mlRosé Majeur is the perfect embodiment of the originality and finesse of the House’s wines. Made predominantly from Chardonnay, it is crafted with the addition of a small proportion of still Pinot Noir from the best crus of the Montagne de Reims. A low dosage enables it to express the House style, both feminine and generous, with great elegance. The very high proportion of Chardonnay and the aging process result in a Champagne with remarkable finesse. Brut Rosé Majeur shines with freshness on the palate, offering immediate pleasure and well-balanced flavors.
- Item #: i_377891Bottle Size: 750MLIMPORTER'S NOTES-" Ages in barrel for 6 months and in bottle for 10 years before release • Current disgorgement: November 2016 (2005 Vintage) • Dosage 5 grams/liter • The Annonciade bottling is an hommage to an ancestor of the Bara family. In 1833, Annonciade, daughter of a winemaker from Bouzy, married Auguste François Bara, a young cooper from a neighboring village. Jules Bara, their son, constructed the first cellar at Champagne Paul Bara. This cuvée symbolizes the perfect marriage between vigneronne and cooper.
- Item #: i_374322Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS-"Entirely vinified in oak and disgorged in May 2018, after 15 years on the lees in bottle, the 2002 Millésime Brut Le Clos Saint-Hilaire is a single-plot Blanc de Noirs from Pinot Noir vines planted in Mareuil-sur-Aÿ in 1964. Highly fine and pure on the deep, elegant and spicy nose, with intense mirabelle and apricot flavors, this is a pure, salty, very finessed yet tensioned, complex, mineral and refreshing Pinot with intense and well-concentrated fruit, a juicy texture and persistent structure. The finish is very long but pure, fresh, salty and, in any case, highly stimulating! Total production: 3,700 bottles. Tasted November 2018."
- Item #: i_321832Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97James Suckling: 98Wine Enthusiast: 96 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS - " A very composed Champagne with plenty of still fresh lemon and white cherry fruits on offer. There's impressive clarity, power and richness here. The nose has candied peach, strawberry, white cherry and grilled nuts. Very flavorsome palate with pastry flavors adding savory notes to the stone fruits and citrus. Toasted almonds and chalky minerals define the long finish. Still so young and powerful!
WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - " The 2002 Brut Cuvée Nicolas François was disgorged in January 2015 with four grams per liter dosage, and it's showing superbly, wafting from the glass with a complex bouquet that mingles confit citrus, peach and dried papaya with nuances of iodine, brioche and honeycomb. On the palate, it's full-bodied, broad and vinous, with a rich and layered core that's underpinned by serious structure and tension, concluding with a long and precise finish. This is one of the finest wines Billecart has released in the last decade, and it is well worth seeking out."
- Item #: i_379553Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95DECANTER MAGAZINE 96 POINTS - "5% of red wine has been added by assemblage from the legendary La Cote Aux Enfants vineyard in Aÿ. The resulting power is subtle, gastronomic and bewitching: as a corollary to a lighter, onion-skin colour, there's an intensity and length on the palate allied to perfect integration of the 8g/l of sugar and the legacy of both oak fermentation and long yeast maturation, the latter under cork. The vinous power is such that this will match rich, savoury dishes such as quail, venison, pigeon and guinea fowl. A triumph!" (AG) (2/2020)
WINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS - "Enticing aromas and flavors of wild strawberry, apricot and Macadamia nut are woven with accents of saffron, ground ginger, honey and orange peel in this seamlessly knit rosé in a vinous style. Satiny in texure, with an overall grace that belies the powerful tension and focus throughout, driving the lasting finish." (AN)
- Item #: i_305850Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Very elegant and refined in texture, with fresh, focused acidity finding fine integration with the layered notes of patisserie apple, black currant, smoky mineral and biscuit, complimented by hints of lemon zest and honey. Lingering finish. Drink now through 2020. Tasted twice, with consistent notes. 5,000 cases imported.”
We are excited about this offering because we love nothing more than offering killer deals on great wines. While not as flashy or fashionable as some of its Grandes Marques brethren, Bollinger nevertheless possesses a legion of savvy devotees that is surpassed only by that of Krug’s. As with Krug’s Grand Cuvee, Bollinger’s reputation is anchored by their consistently splendid multi-vintage Brut Special. This is a particularly nice rendition and it is further notable because it is the first release of Special Cuvee packaged in a swanky new bottle patterned after one the company used in the 1840s. Disgorged this past summer, 45% of the blend is from 2008, while 50% is from 2007, with the rest being composed of older vintages aged in magnum.
Jacques Bollinger and Paul-Joseph Renaudin founded Bollinger in 1829. However, it was really the widow (yes, another dynamic Champagne widow) Lilly Bollinger, who guided the firm from 1941 to 1971, that is most responsible for the lofty reputation that the firm enjoys today. By all accounts this grande dame was an indefatigable and astute leader that left no stone unturned in the pursuit of bolstering the excellence of her Champagnes. Ghislain de Montgolfier, a great great grandson of Jacques Bollinger, took charge of the house from 1994 to 2008. Today, Jérôme Philipon is managing director, while Mathieu Kauffmann , who has been with the house since 2001, is Bollinger’s brilliant chef de cave. Bollinger’s 395 acres of vines provide for roughly two-thirds of the house’s needs, which permits greater control over style and quality.
- Item #: i_379451Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 90Bruno Gobillard Brut Rose Sophie base is a blend of 50% Pinot Noir, 30% Chardonnay and 20% Pinot Meunier topped with 15% still red wine. Pale and very delicate, it shows fresh Queen Anne cherry character backed by wonderful acidity due to the absence of malolactice fermentation.
WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "A lively version, with bright, well-knit acidity and a lacy texture. This offers subtle notes of ripe cherry and strawberry fruit, gingersnap and red licorice. Citrusy finish."
- Item #: i_379227Bottle Size: 750mlDomaine Bruno Gobillard is in Pierry, near Epernay. The estate was created in 1994 when Bruno Gobillard, then a 28-year-old from a long-established Champagne producing family, decided to strike out on his own. Bruno Gobillard has 17 acres of vineyards located in the communes of Moussy, Pierry, Epernay, Cramant, Chatilllonsur-Marne and La Chapelle Montaudon. The vines are an average of 30 years old. The Gobillard family has been growing grapes and making Champagne in the region since the mid-19th century.
- Item #: i_377206Bottle Size: 750mlFashioned from 45% Pinot Noir, 30% Chardonnay and 25% Pinot Meunier, this Brut Rose charms with an enticing nose of red currants, strawberries and lemon curd. The fresh red fruits spill over to the dry yet creammy palate. Here then is a well intergrated and balanced Rose that is a real pleasure to drink and a real bargain to boot.
- Item #: i_313630Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS-"This vibrant version shows a range of toasted brioche, baked cherry, crystalized honey, grated ginger and coconut flavors, remaining light-footed and lively throughout. Beautifully balanced, with a lasting, mouthwatering finish. Disgorged 2014. Drink now through 2020. 5,000 cases imported. (10/16)."
PETER LEIM 2 STARS-"Beginning with this release, chef de cave Thierry Roset has reduced the number of crus that are included in this wine, although the general composition remains the same: one-third of each variety, with about 40 percent of the blend composed of reserve wines that average about ten years of age. As usual, it's generous in aroma, showing a waxy, burnished richness and an unusual complexity and depth for a non-vintage brut. At the same time, it feels lively and vibrant thanks to its fresh acidity, along with a pervasive chalkiness that saturates the wine from start to finish. This is already one of the finest NVs on the market, and if anything, it's only getting better with each new release."
- Item #: i_376004Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Spectator: 93JOSH RAYNOLDS 91 POINTS-"(one-third each Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier; 11 g/l dosage;...: Light, bright orange. Intensely perfumed scents of raspberry, orange zest, white flowers and chalky minerals. Juicy and precise in the mouth, offering vibrant red berry and blood orange flavors and a complicating hint of brioche. The floral quality comes back strong on the very long, incisive finish, which features a subtle anise quality and smoky minerality. About 20% of the Pinot Noir here was in the form of still red wine."
- Item #: i_324220Bottle Size: 750MLWINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "The NV Brut Classic is a very pretty, fresh wine with notes of flowers, pears, minerals and mint. Deutz has produced a lovely, focused Champagne loaded with class, personality and brilliance. The Brut Classic is approximately 38% Pinot Noir, 32% Pinot Meunier and 30% Chardonnay, with the addition of 20-40% reserve wines."
- Item #: i_321847Bottle Size: 750mlThe Grande Sendrée Cuvée takes its name from a parcel of land covered by cinders after the fire which ravaged Urville in 1838. A spelling error having slipped through in a new version of the land register, it is with an “s” that this cuvée is designated today. A reproduction of an 18th century bottle found in the Urville cellars is used and the Grande Sendrée undergoes remuage entirely by hand.
- Item #: i_321866Bottle Size: 750mlThis Pinot Meunier dominated blend (with 30 Pinot Noir and 10% Chardonnay) posses a glossy, pale gold hue with lively bubbles, a silky mid-palate and a long pleasing finish. The nose offers up fragrant hints of fresh fruit before expanding to release riper fruit aromas of red apples and assorted stone fruits.
Champagne Dumenil is an independent Champagne House which continues to utilise the expertise that has been handed down through the family for 5 generations. Today Frederique and Hugues Poret-Dumenil run things with a steady hand, they are artisans of wine who are passionate about both the vineyard and the wine, craft Champagnes of style in the highest respect for their land situated in Chigny-les-Roses, Rilly la Montagne, Ludes and Sacy. Their Jany Portet bottling is sourced from the family's vines in the Montagne de RemisPremier Cru village of Saucy. Here the triple influence of chalk, sand and clay produces superbly balanced blends with the dominant sandy soil bringing extra lightness to enhance the full, ripe fruit aromas (citrus fruit, stewed fruit and honeyed floral notes.
- Item #: i_321883Bottle Size: 750MLThe newest in the Egly-Ouriet range, this is one third of each - Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Pinot Meunier - from Trigny, on the Massif St Thierry northwest of Reims. The inaugural release is 100% 2016, vinified in tank without malo, and then aged 3 years on lees, before disgorgment and finishing with 2g/L dosage. While still offering up that trademark Egly vinosity and complexity, there is a distinctly fresh quality to this wine that is a pleasant surprise after seeing the lovely golden color when it is poured in your glass. Flavors of ripe golden delicious apple are rounded out with citrus and floral notes, and a rich, well-balanced weight.
- Item #: i_321839Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS-"The NV Fleur de Miraval Exclusivement Rosé 1 is the first release from a new Champagne house formed as a partnership between Rodolphe Péters, Marc Perrin and Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt that focuses just on Rosé Champagne. In developing Fleur de Miraval, Péters and Perrin observed that they were generally not happy with the way most Rosé Champagnes age, especially the Pinot components, so they set out to create a Champagne that essentially blends young Pinot with Chardonnay from both the base vintage and older vintages. The debut release of Fleur de Miraval is 75% Chardonnay and 25% Pinot Noir. Chardonnay components are equal parts base vintage 2016, a perpetual reserve that goes back to 2007 and bottled 2008 and 2009 Champagne purchased sur-lattes (already in bottle, but not disgorged). The Pinot Noir is from Vertus, just south of the Côte des Blancs, vinified as a saignée, and then added to a base of white wine.
In tasting, Fleur di Miraval is bright, taut and focused. The cranberry, orange zest, chalk and floral notes sizzle with energy. Not surprisingly, one of the inspirations for Fleur de Miraval is Krug Rosé, and that influence is evident in its style, weight and flavor profile. Because of its recent disgorgement, Fleur di Miraval is extremely tight, but it opens nicely over several hours. This is an impressive debut. It will be interesting to see what future releases bring. Dosage is 4.5 grams per liter.