- Item #: i_322154Bottle Size: 750MLWINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "A bramble- and bay leaf—edged version, with a mix of dark cherry and red currant fruit forming the core. Light singed tobacco and a fresh chalk threads line the finish. Long and refined, showing a lovely tug of earth at the end. Drink now through 2026."
Les Varennes du Grand Clos is a slope of siliceous clay and limestone that has proven its ability to yield complex Chinons that stand the test of time-old bottles from decades past are still in their prime. Farming is organic, and the wine ages for over a year in barrel before bottling. The trademark of Les Varennes is its finesse: while structure is certainly not lacking, there is a harmony to fruit, acid, and tannins that allows us to pull the cork today. Its earthy flavors pair perfectly with rustic French cuisine; try a beef stew or wild mushrooms for a guaranteed match.
- Item #: i_345148Bottle Size: 750MLLauded by King Réné Anjou in the 15th century classical literature, the Château de Brézé wines were regarded with such esteem that the royals exchanged them annually with the great Sauternes of Château d’Yquem. The vineyards belonging to the Château de Brézé entered a Renaissance of their own in 2009 when Count de Colbert conferred upon Yves and Arnaud Lambert management of the viticultural estate. The father and son team have immediately converted the entire 25 hectares to organic methods, with official certification as of the 2012 vintage.
Loire Cabernet Franc from a historic property which is mentioned for the first time in the year 1063, in records from Saint Florent's Abbatial. Delicious flavors of tobacco, raspberry, cassis, violet, and pepper.
- Item #: i_353022Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92+The 2016 Chateau La Prade is a great way to start the year! Overflowing with rich, dark fruits enveloped in satiny smooth tannins, this is an easy wine to pick for your Tuesday night drinker. As you probably know by now, 2016 in Bordeaux was an exceptional vintage with well ripened fruit and exceptional balance and freshness. The beauty of the vintage is the quality extends from the higher priced Classified Growths and Grand Cru Classe's to the more reasonably priced wines. A perfect example is this wine from Chateau La Prade which received a 92+ Point score from Wine Advocate.
The review from the Wine Advocate calls this wine, "Full-bodied, rich and plushly textured, the decadent black fruit and spicy layers deliver a very long, impactful finish." This wine is every bit of that, delivering pleasure with every sip until the bottle is completely empty.
The tiny appellation of Cotes de Francs is located on the right bank of Bordeuax near its famous neighbors of St Emilion and Pomerol. The terroir of Cotes de Francs consists of clay and limestone soil, perfectly suited to Merlot which makes up the majority of the blend augmented with Cabernet Franc adding freshness and floral notes.
Nicolas Thienpont whose family owns Vieux Chateau Certan and Le Pin has made improvements to the vineyards and cellar since purchasing the estate in 2000. The grapes are harvested by hand and aged in a combination of new and older French oak. The result is a satisfying wine that completely over-delivers for the price point. In fact, we have this at the lowest price in the country.
This is a great wine to stock up on while it is available. Enjoy!
WINE ADVOCATE 92+ POINTS - "The medium to deep garnet-purple colored 2016 La Prade bursts boldly from the glass with notions of chocolate-covered cherries, blueberry compote and plum preserves with suggestions of eucalyptus, espresso, licorice and cedar chest plus a waft of violets. Full-bodied, rich and plushly textured, the decadent black fruit and spicy layers deliver a very long, impactful finish. This is so tempting to drink right now, but it will age beautifully."
- Item #: i_353325Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "This has a smoldering profile, with bay leaf, tobacco and loam notes opening up to black olive, currant and cedar details that follow closely behind. Shows great harmony now, but the tannins could soften up a bit, which should be no problem with some time in the cellar. Delivers lots of character and energy."
- Item #: i_353565Bottle Size: 750mlThierry and Lydie are both very passionate about the job, working together on the Estate and completing each other on every level. She is in charge of the vineyard, making every detail possible all year long so Thierry can have the best conditions to get started in the cellar and master the vinifications. The domaine is ran under sustainable culture. No synthetic chemical treatment is done. The vineyards of Domaine Chancelle have been in the family for 5 generations with Lydie and her husband Thierry taking over the Estate in 2000. It is located in the village of Turquant, in the greater Saumur.
Tasting Notes: Strawberry-scented with flavors of cherry and cranberry that pop on a crisp, refreshing palate. Drink it as an aperitif or with your favorite foods off the grill.
- Item #: i_351793Bottle Size: 750mlThis Chinon is the perfect fruity wine to start discovering Cabernet Franc from the Loire Valley. Nose exhibits aromas of red berries and sweet spices. Palate is structured with silky tannins, coming from the part-ageing in oak barrels. A very decent medium-bodied bottle for an immediate pleasure, perfect for the price.
- Item #: i_352940Bottle Size: 750mlIn only a few years, Domaine Guiberteau has become one of the most sought after domaines in Saumur, their wines already stringently allocated and found in the best restaurants in France.
AB organic certification
Organic (since 2003) Vinification: 100% de-stemmed, indigenous yeasts, no new oak except Arboises (80% new) and Brézé (40%), no fining, filtration if needed.
- Item #: i_333763Bottle Size: 750MLDomaine LEDUC-FROUIN was founded in 1873 and is now managed by Antoine Leduc, 4th generation Winemaker. Antoine was always destined to work in his 30 hectares family estate and he returned there in 1993 after doing his Oenology studies in Bourgogne and Bordeaux. Combining tradition and modernity, Antoine makes every effort to produce typical, local and subtile wines. .e diversity of the soils (falun, shale, clay) allows him to perform single vineyard winemaking like La Seigneurie".
With its brilliant garnet color, this wine has blackcurrant, blueberry, tobacco and spicy scents. Velvety and rich but well-rounded with soft tannins.
- Item #: i_352904Bottle Size: 750mlThis small estate in Montreuil-Bellay (15 km south of Saumur) has been farmed according to bio-dynamic principles since 1962. In fact, Matthieu's father, François, was a leading French consultant in bio-dynamics along with the likes of Joly, Leflaive, and Chapoutier, and wrote the how-to book on using its principles in the vineyard. Matthieu and Sylvanie Bouchet took over the family winery located at the place called La Salle in 1990. Matthieu and Sylvanie chose to follow in their father’s footsteps. They still farm according to the strictest principles of Bio-dynamics which involve, among other things, the complete absence of chemical fertilizers, pesticides, or additives of any kind. *Biodynamic, Natural Wine*
- Item #: i_353351Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 90WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "A pure, elegant style, offering notes of dark cherry, bay leaf and tobacco. Well-structured, with fresh acidity keeping everything together. Hints of coffee emerge midpalate as this flows into a lasting finish. Drink now through 2028."
- Item #: i_353639Bottle Size: 750mlORGANICALLY FARMED
Mosse Cabernet Franc comes from 40 year-old vines on schistes soils with clay and gravel. The soils bring a unique mineral character to the Cabernet Franc and the wine is bone dry with zero residual sugar. Not a fruit bomb, but quite elegant and long with earthy red currant and black raspberry fruit.
- Item #: i_345837Bottle Size: 750MLThierry’s domaine, Roches Neuves, whose vineyards are planted in the Saumur (Blanc) and Saumur-Champigny (Rouge) appellations, has rightfully become one of the greatest examples of high achievement in biodynamic vine growing in France. We put him up there with the greats: Abbatucci in Corsica, Ganevat in the Jura, Ostertag in Alsace. His total dedication to site specific wines produced from Cabernet Franc and Chenin Blanc, his “parcellaires,” has produced some of the most exciting wines in the Loire Valley today.
• 100% de-stemmed
• Fermentation in stainless steel tank for 8 to 10 days
• Light pumpovers during fermentation—meant to infuse the grapes not extract them
• Aged in stainless steel and wood tanks, on fine lees, without sulfur, for 3 to 4 months
• Communes: Chaintres de Varrains and Saumur