- Item #: i_333928Bottle Size: 750MLThe small family domaine in France that works traditionally using techniques and savoir faire passed down across multiple generations is under serious threat today. Consolidation, technology, regulation, foreign investment, globalization, and many other factors (all in the name of progress), threaten the great agricultural tradition of winegrowing in France, arguably the world’s greatest winegrowing culture. Few domaines in France embody this way of life more ably and proudly than Domaine Albert Boxler in Niedermorschwihr. Jean Boxler, many generations removed from his ancestor of the same name that moved here from Switzerland in 1673, currently rules the roost at this humble yet incredibly exciting domaine. Intense and serious about his land, his craft, and his wine, Jean is the genius behind what are certainly some of the finest white wines in Alsace (and the world).
- Item #: i_352545Bottle Size: 750mlThe Beck-Hartweg vineyard has one more special feature: 25% is classified as Grand Cru Frankstein (only 4% of the total Grand Cru production of Alsatian wine has this classification) and is spread among four south-east sloping hillsides of solid granite. The mountain granite soil is a composite of light, stony,shallow sand and forces the roots to penetrate down into the rock fissures for nutrients which gives the wine crystalline minerality and long finish.
- Item #: i_345653Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93James Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "Ripe apricots and a hint of mangoes, making this rich, but rather dry riesling very attractive. However, there's also serious concentration and major minerality coming out, especially at the long, delicately spicy finish. Drink or hold."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Riesling Grand Cru Sommerberg is pure and flinty on the piquant, spicy/herbal and floral nose. This is the pure expression of granite in Riesling! Hints of pineapple and other tropical fruit flavors such as mangos are found in the far background. Rich and round on the palate, this is an intense, textured and juicy Riesling with lots of tropical fruit flavors and ripe, perfectly integrated acidity. This is very fine despite its intensity and ripeness. The salty finish is long and aromatic, and you get tannins rather than acidity. Impressive."
- Item #: i_353147Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 95 PointsBIODYNAMIC
WINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS - "Subtle hints of ripe peach and Mandarin appear on the nose accompanied by a breezy tone of wet stone. The fresh palate corrals its ripe citrus notes with a pleasantly bitter hint of pith. There is ripeness but also crunchiness within this concentrated cosmos of citrus. In the end it all merges into a citrus-scented, energetic and dry path of aromatic freshness."
- Item #: i_351895Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC AND CERTIFIED ORGANIC
IMPORTER NOTES - "Literally the “sheep’s path,” Schoffweg leads into Grasberg and is an exceptional terroir: a thin slab of Aalenian limestone perched above the plains, the ultimate extension of the hillock of Altenberg in Bergheim. It faces east, but the warmer climate is tamed by strong winds. Drained by the northern wind in summer, protected by the foehn in autumn, this very poor terroir with rocky yellow limestone provides an extremely complex expression, without noble rot.
- Item #: i_351893Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Certified organic (Ecocert) and biodynamic -
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The Deiss 2011 Grasberg leads with saline, alkaline and marine aromatics, though also with intimations of the diverse ripe peach, pear, and melons – backed by distinct sweetness – that mark a ripe and infectiously juicy though firm palate. There is grip and nearly explosive interactivity in the finish, with nut oils, nutmeg, caraway as well as mineral elements bouncing off of the rich, resilient base of ripe fruit. Hardship of site certainly seems to have borne positive results here. Look for exciting performances through at least 2025. Deiss finds this “a bit timid” when compared with the corresponding 2010, but those are hardly words I would use to describe it!"
VINOUS MEDIA 92+ POINTS - "Good full yellow. Aromatic nose of lime, gooseberry, cinnamon and white flowers, complicated by smoke and a whiff of varnish; shows obvious notes of noble rot and gewÃ¼rztraminer. Off-dry on the palate, offering notes of spicy rhubarb and candied rose petal. Finishes with slight heat but has the material to support the alcohol. From vines situated very close to the Rotenberg at 350 meters above sea level, exposed north. This colder, later-ripening site allows for a more complex co-plantation of grape varieties, and this is why there is gewÃ¼rztraminer here.
- Item #: i_351894Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The bright and fresh citrus color of the 2012 Langenberg indicates a traditional field blend of different (mostly white) grape varieties, such as Riesling and the early ripening Muscat and diverse Pinots. The complantation is cultivated on the poor and weathered granite soils of a steep, south-facing and terraced vineyard in St-Hippolyte, and all the grapes were picked in one passage. The wine starts with a lovely clear bouquet of white fruits and flowers, along with refreshing citrus flavors and a stony/mineral touch. The minerality is even more present and expressive on the palate which reveals a subtle, gently sweet and elegant fruit, as well as a lot of tension and vibrancy. The Langenberg finishes pure, minerally-piquant and salty and with a stimulating grip. “Granite gives tension and finesse, not volume,” says Jean-Marcel Deiss, adding that the Langenberg "is a strict and protestant" wine. However, it is excellent at least for the next 8 years."
- Item #: i_345853Bottle Size: 750MLRiesling by Marcel Deiss is a white wine made from grapes of more than 25 years old vines and it is a wine characterized by a remarkable complexity. A very ripe apple is felt on the nose, with a sensation due to chamomile herbal tea, mineral scents and di lime. The palate is dense and soft, fresh, sapid and slightly herbaceous. Organic wine, made with old style artisanal methods.
- Item #: i_345654Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 93James Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "For a seven-year-old dry white, this has great vitality. The more air it gets, the more candied-citrus, pear and dried-herb aromas emerge. Although the wine's frame is on the sleek side, there's serious concentration. The finish is very long with a cascade of herbal and mineral notes. Drink or hold.
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Trimbach’s 2011 Riesling Cuvee Frederic Emile leads with a fascinating nose mingling quinine and smoky black tea with the more usual lime, white peach and crushed chalk. Silken-textured and generously juicy, with hauntingly bittersweet inner-mouth floral perfume, it opens-up in an infectiously juicy manner one seldom expects from youthful exemplars of this cuvee, thus drinking-well before one is able to purchase it! (But at least you can safely count on savoring it in its elegant prime through at least 2025.) Lentil sprout, peach kernel, and almond oil add to the diversity of flavors already intimated on the nose in a superbly sustained, bell-clear and invigorating as well as surprisingly and delightfully buoyant finish.
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Lovely spice and smoke notes lead the way in this firm, linear white, accenting poached apple, chopped almond, dried thyme and lemon pith flavors on the harmonious palate. Best from 2019 through 2029."