- Item #: i_333928Bottle Size: 750MLThe small family domaine in France that works traditionally using techniques and savoir faire passed down across multiple generations is under serious threat today. Consolidation, technology, regulation, foreign investment, globalization, and many other factors (all in the name of progress), threaten the great agricultural tradition of winegrowing in France, arguably the world’s greatest winegrowing culture. Few domaines in France embody this way of life more ably and proudly than Domaine Albert Boxler in Niedermorschwihr. Jean Boxler, many generations removed from his ancestor of the same name that moved here from Switzerland in 1673, currently rules the roost at this humble yet incredibly exciting domaine. Intense and serious about his land, his craft, and his wine, Jean is the genius behind what are certainly some of the finest white wines in Alsace (and the world).
- Item #: i_352545Bottle Size: 750mlThe Beck-Hartweg vineyard has one more special feature: 25% is classified as Grand Cru Frankstein (only 4% of the total Grand Cru production of Alsatian wine has this classification) and is spread among four south-east sloping hillsides of solid granite. The mountain granite soil is a composite of light, stony,shallow sand and forces the roots to penetrate down into the rock fissures for nutrients which gives the wine crystalline minerality and long finish.
- Item #: i_353329Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The 2014 Grand Cru Schoenenbourg is still a bit discreet and reductive on the nose, but intense in its concentrated citrus (lemon confit) and earthy flavors. Sweet and piquant on the palate, this is a generous, lush and juicy, but firmly structured and vivacious, Schoenenbourg with a nice tannin grip, lingering and refreshing salinity. It has an exciting mineral structure in the finish and remains firm and precise. Very promising."
- Item #: i_351893Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Vinous Media: 92+Certified organic (Ecocert) and biodynamic -
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The Deiss 2011 Grasberg leads with saline, alkaline and marine aromatics, though also with intimations of the diverse ripe peach, pear, and melons – backed by distinct sweetness – that mark a ripe and infectiously juicy though firm palate. There is grip and nearly explosive interactivity in the finish, with nut oils, nutmeg, caraway as well as mineral elements bouncing off of the rich, resilient base of ripe fruit. Hardship of site certainly seems to have borne positive results here. Look for exciting performances through at least 2025. Deiss finds this “a bit timid” when compared with the corresponding 2010, but those are hardly words I would use to describe it!"
VINOUS MEDIA 92+ POINTS - "Good full yellow. Aromatic nose of lime, gooseberry, cinnamon and white flowers, complicated by smoke and a whiff of varnish; shows obvious notes of noble rot and gewÃ¼rztraminer. Off-dry on the palate, offering notes of spicy rhubarb and candied rose petal. Finishes with slight heat but has the material to support the alcohol. From vines situated very close to the Rotenberg at 350 meters above sea level, exposed north. This colder, later-ripening site allows for a more complex co-plantation of grape varieties, and this is why there is gewÃ¼rztraminer here.
- Item #: i_351894Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The bright and fresh citrus color of the 2012 Langenberg indicates a traditional field blend of different (mostly white) grape varieties, such as Riesling and the early ripening Muscat and diverse Pinots. The complantation is cultivated on the poor and weathered granite soils of a steep, south-facing and terraced vineyard in St-Hippolyte, and all the grapes were picked in one passage. The wine starts with a lovely clear bouquet of white fruits and flowers, along with refreshing citrus flavors and a stony/mineral touch. The minerality is even more present and expressive on the palate which reveals a subtle, gently sweet and elegant fruit, as well as a lot of tension and vibrancy. The Langenberg finishes pure, minerally-piquant and salty and with a stimulating grip. “Granite gives tension and finesse, not volume,” says Jean-Marcel Deiss, adding that the Langenberg "is a strict and protestant" wine. However, it is excellent at least for the next 8 years."
- Item #: i_353917Bottle Size: 750mlFélix Meyer’s old-vine Pinot Blanc from the slopes of Katzenthal, in Alsace, has long overdelivered in the role of the proverbial “crisp white” for which we long. It has obvious thirst-quenching properties, expressed in the form of perky acidity and a mouth-watering, almost smoky mineral note that grabs hold of the back of the palate.
- Item #: i_311104Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 95BIODYNAMIC
WINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS - "A glint of Mirabelle plum on the nose of this wine is edged with lemon and wet stone. The palate expands into a riper, juicier notion of melon and shows a salty, yeasty but also zesty texture guided by lemony freshness. The finish tapers to a linear dryness that shines with honesty and barely constrained energy."
- Item #: i_334260Bottle Size: 750MLThe robe is a lemon-yellow, with light green reflections of average intensity. The disk is bright, limpid, transparent. The wine shows youth.The nose is frank, pleasant, intense. Elegant, one perceives dominances of fruity scents, citrus fruits, lime, lemon peel, as well as spices, ginger; Airing enhances the previous aromas and reveals a fine smoky mineral hint with a subtle underlying floral note. The nose shows a primary, reserved expression. The ripeness and health of the grapes are perfect.The onset in the mouth is moderately ample, fresh. The alcohol support is balanced. One evolves on a medium with a strict, incisive vivacity marked by a sparkling note. The range of aromas is reminiscent of the nose, dominated by citrus fruits, lemon peel, lime, always the spices, ginger, and this fine smoky mineral note. The finish has a beautiful length, 7-8 caudalies and a sharp, persistent vivacity.The balance of this wine is based on freshness. This crystalline wine renders perfectly the digestible character of this very beautiful terroir. Technical sheet by M. Pascal Leonetti"Best Sommelier of France 2006"
- Item #: i_345654Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 93James Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "For a seven-year-old dry white, this has great vitality. The more air it gets, the more candied-citrus, pear and dried-herb aromas emerge. Although the wine's frame is on the sleek side, there's serious concentration. The finish is very long with a cascade of herbal and mineral notes. Drink or hold.
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Trimbach’s 2011 Riesling Cuvee Frederic Emile leads with a fascinating nose mingling quinine and smoky black tea with the more usual lime, white peach and crushed chalk. Silken-textured and generously juicy, with hauntingly bittersweet inner-mouth floral perfume, it opens-up in an infectiously juicy manner one seldom expects from youthful exemplars of this cuvee, thus drinking-well before one is able to purchase it! (But at least you can safely count on savoring it in its elegant prime through at least 2025.) Lentil sprout, peach kernel, and almond oil add to the diversity of flavors already intimated on the nose in a superbly sustained, bell-clear and invigorating as well as surprisingly and delightfully buoyant finish.
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Lovely spice and smoke notes lead the way in this firm, linear white, accenting poached apple, chopped almond, dried thyme and lemon pith flavors on the harmonious palate. Best from 2019 through 2029."
- Item #: i_334123Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 90Wine Enthusiast: 93WINE ENTHUSIAST 93 POINTS - "Wet stone and fresh lemon are faint but distinct on the nose. A pure lemon flavor streaks across the slender, taut palate, with a comet-like spray of freshness. This wine is dry and, if it weren't for juicy glimpses of ripe lemon, would be almost austere."
JAMES SUCKLING 90 POINTS - "Quite tart and firm. This has enough depth to carry well, and there's a great burst of candied-citrus character at the long finish. Drink or hold."