- Item #: i_345449Bottle Size: 750MLAubert de Villaine may be more famous for managing the legendary estate of Domaine de la Romanée Conti (DRC) but his passion for producing exemplary Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, and Aligoté does not begin and end with the wines from the Cote de Beaune. Truth be told, his true winemaking love lies south of those world renowned vineyards in the Cote Chalonaise district, one of Burgundy's best-kept secrets. The greatness of Aubert's wines cannot be overstated. They are among the finest that the region has to offer and are the ultimate expression of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. His innovative approach to winemaking spans the pages of time, incorporating tradition with a modernist’s mastery for precision and truth. Designed for immediate consumption or moderate to long-term aging, the red and white wines from Aubert's Maconnais vineyards are a must-have for anyone who is passionate about the wines of Burgundy.
- Item #: i_345448Bottle Size: 750MLBIODYNAMIC
Mercurey Les Montots is a powerful wine with aromas of dark fruit followed by subtle animal and spicy notes. The palate is rich and elegant. The wine’s distinct acidity lends it a very drinkable quality and evokes fruits of the forest. This wine can be enjoyed after between two and eight years.
Les Montots is situated on fairly steep slope with southern exposure, planted with a selection of Pinot Noir vines from Nuits-Saint-Georges chosen for teir aromatic qualities and moderate yield. Les Montots is a Mercurey of its own kind, structured and viforous, deep with a dark ruby color.
- Item #: i_322611Bottle Size: 750MLWINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "The 2017 Bourgogne Côte Chalonnaise La Digoine opens in the glass with a reserved bouquet of smoky blackberries, raspberries and bay leaf, followed by a medium to full-bodied, fleshy and supple palate that's open and charming, concluding with a spice-inflected finish."
Winemaker's Notes "La Digoine is a site at the foot of a slope, known for centuries to provide the deep soil and growing conditions necessary for excellent red wine. Our vineyard here is planted in moderate-yield Pinot Noir. La Digoine can be drunk very young. Within two or three months of bottling, it demonstrates immediate appeal with red berry fruit and a balance of roundness, structure, and lenght on the palate.
However, this is another versatil wine which benefits from bottle aging. After 18 to 24 months, slow maturation and evolution begin to make their mark, and La Digoine will improve over the next ten year, revealing the deep, complex aromas worthy of a great burgundy. Depending on cellar conditions, we recommanded twelve to fifteen years of aging.
Serving temperature for a young La Digoine should be around 60°F, and around 64°F for an older one. It goes well with red meat and any of a variety of cheeses, though soft cheeses like Camembert, Brie, and Vacherin should be avoided."
- Item #: i_378941Bottle Size: 750mlJacques Beaufort has long been one of our Champagne hero's. Back in the early 1970's Jacques was virtually alone leading the charge against the use of chemicals and herbicides and he has now been farming biodynamically for decades. Beaufort's approach to winemaking is equally stripped-down and non-interventionist. Such a strict, natural approach has its obvious risks, and over the years his Champagnes have been a bit "hit or miss" but his hits like this 2010 are often home runs. This is a bright, exuberant (dare we say hedionistic) Champagne that belies it Brut Zero configuration. The 2010 Andre Beaufort presents a delicate mousse and persistent bubbles, greeting your nose with pear, herbs de Provence and toasted hazelnuts. Expressive in character and bold on the palate, it culminates with a fine, zippy finish.
- Item #: i_376663Bottle Size: 750mlWINERY NOTES-"The base wine for this Old Vines Champagne comes from our plots, Pierre Robert Haut, Tarclett, and Varmery. The vines are on average 45 years old, which is important for the selection of the plots, as each plant produces a third less than a younger plant. Hence a higher aromatic potential and an optimum maturity at harvest time. The primary aromas are typical of a Pinot Noir from Ay: blackcurrant, small red fruit, in the nose and on the palate, with a spicy note at the end of the tasting.These aromas have evolved with the second fermentation, dominated now by juicy fruit, such as white peach and stewed lemon. Despite a lively attack on the palate, this wine feels round, vinous, frank and well structured, long on the mouth without being heavy. This is a wine for lovers of varietal wines, the opposite of a blended Champagne."
- Item #: i_350551Bottle Size: 750mlThe 2015 Bourgogne Pinot Noir, which comes from vines between Nuits Saint-Georges and Flagey-Echézeaux, saw up to 40% new oak due to the tannins. It has an attractive bouquet with lightly spiced black fruit, touches of limestone and freshly tilled soil emerging with time. The palate is medium-bodied with supple tannin, the new oak neatly integrated with good substance towards the quite elegant finish. This is one of the best Bourgognes that I encountered from the 2015 vintage.
- Item #: i_352529Bottle Size: 750mlDomaine Anne Gros produces one of the most elegant and light-footed wines in Vosne Romanee, her wines are arguably the most feminine in style compared to the 3 other Gros estates (Anne’s cousins), as well as other female winemakers in Vosne Romanee, i.e. Leroy, Mugneret Gibourg and Cecile Tremblay. Anne Gros has been in charge of the estate since 1988 at the age of 22 after she took over her father’s entire estate. Domaine Anne Gros has c. 7 hectares of vines, mostly treated organically (though not certified).Juicy red currant, light cranberry, supple stem tannins with refreshing acidity.
- Item #: i_351708Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Pure cherry, raspberry and stony mineral flavors are the hallmarks of this juicy red, with a firm, well-integrated structure. Combines elegance and muscle. The finish is dense and long. Best from 2022 through 2036."
- Item #: i_351962Bottle Size: 750mlThis Bourgogne rouge is surprisingly charming and floral. I don’t normally care much for Bourgogne wines but this is something special and worth the attention. This Pinot Fin is a blend of seven different plots around Cote de Nuits, 50% from Chambolle Musigny appellation, 25% from Nuits Saint Georges, and 25% from Vosne Romanée. Around 60% of the crop was lost in 2016 due to frost, around 20 barrels of Bourgogne Pinot Fin produced in 2016. Flamboyant aroma of supple rose petal, wild strawberries, and raspberry. 60% whole cluster. Great lightness and gentleness.
- Item #: i_352449Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS "...opening reluctantly in the glass to reveal aromas of red berries, grilled meat and warm spices. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, satiny but dense, with a deep, concentrated core and chalky structuring tannins. This will need more time than the comparatively precocious 2017 rendition."
- Item #: i_352567Bottle Size: 750mlOnly the most dedicated and courageous growers would dare to practice biodynamic viticulture in a climate that is as cool and damp as Champagne’s. Benoit Lahaye is one of these brave souls, having been a practitioner of natural winegrowing since the early 1990s. Made entirely from 36-year-old Pinot Noir vines in the vineyard of "Les Juliennes" in the Grand Cru village of Bouzy, this very reddish rosé is effusively fruity on the nose, displaying deep aromas of just-squeezed strawberries and raspberries. The light (3 g/l) dosage and absence of malolactic fermentation work in concert to give the red berry flavors extra brilliance and intensity.
- Item #: i_351470Bottle Size: 750mlThe Boisson family roots run deep in Meursault, dating back some 200 years. Today, the estate is run by father-son duo Bernard and Pierre, creating earth-driven bottles full of depth and complexity. The 2016 Pommard is silky and fragrant, oozing with notes of raspberry, cherry, and baking spice, coupled with fresh acidity and grainy, well-integrated tannins. Lengthy and sophisticated, will improve over the next five years.
- Item #: i_352267Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 92 POINTS - "A pure, elegant and airy nose features wisps of both red and dark pinot fruit along with subtle earth notes that are set off by relatively generous wood. There is excellent concentration and intensity to the middle weight plus flavors that possess excellent power and drive, all wrapped in a serious, balanced and strikingly persistent finish. This is a big Beaune with solid minerality and phenolic maturity and one to consider."
- Item #: i_322213Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91Burghound: 91-93WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS: " The 2013 Volnay 1er Cru Les Caillerets "Ancienne Cuvée Carnot" is showing well, opening in the glass with a complex bouquet of smoked meats, hoisin, wild berry fruit and spices. On the palate, the wine is medium-bodied, delicate and precise, with racy acids, powdery tannins and impressive concentration despite its fine-boned format, and its sappy expression of fruit is complemented by considerable savory nuance, concluding with a sappy finish."
- Item #: i_345110Bottle Size: 750MLBURGHOUND 89 POINTS "OUTSTANDING, TOP VALUE" :"A pretty and broad-ranging nose features notes of menthol, floral, raspberry, red currant and raspberry. There is a relatively refined mouth feel to the lightly mineral-inflected middle weight flavors that deliver fine depth and length on the slightly austere finish. This is both very pretty and very Chambolle."
VINOUSMEDIA 87-89 POINTS :"(50% estate and 50% purchased grapes; all vinified at Bouchard): Good dep red. Very dark aromas of black cherry, licorice and bitter chocolate. Juicy and firm, showing excellent mineral-driven definition to its black fruit flavors. A very concentrated village wine but its serious mounting tannins will require patience." -- Stephen Tanzer
- Item #: i_321280Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 95-97Decanter: 97 PointsDECANTER 97 POINTS: "Elegant raspberry-dominant nose, with a sheen of new oak. Lean and pure attack, lifted and refined. Exquisite fruit and concentration, impeccably balanced.Drinking Window 2019+
ROBERT PARKER 95-97 POINTS: "The 2015 Gevrey Chambertin 1er Cru Clos Saint-Jacques has a very well-defined bouquet that offers lifted redcurrant and wild strawberry aromas, interwoven with wet limestone and almost flint-like scents. The palate is medium-bodied with very fine tannin. This is seamless and silky smooth, a Clos Saint-Jacques determined to show the other vineyards what it can do. Beautiful delineation and focus on the finish, this is an outstanding Clos Saint-Jacques from Bruno Clair that will offer 20 or 30 years of drinking pleasure.(NM)