- Item #: i_351473Bottle Size: 750mlDomaine Boisson, located in Meursault, was not very well known until recently. It was a kind of hidden gem. The domaine is part of the family Domaine Boisson-Vadot which is divided into three entities: the parents have Boisson-Vadot, the son Pierre Boisson and the daughter Anne Boisson. The élevage for the wines is long (between 15 and 20 months) and the quality of the wine is regular, with great finesse and infinite finish. The Meursault Sous la Velle has an open bouquet with aromas of citrus and white-fleshed fruit (apple and pear) and acacia notes. It has a fresh, nicely fruity palate with a distinctive mineral quality.
- Item #: i_351912Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 92Decanter: 93 PointsDECANTER 93 POINTS: "This great vineyard can, in some incarnations and for no obvious reason, almost seem to acquire a seaweedy, marine allure and an umami intrigue inside its cascade of stony citrus and restrained green apple. That's the case here, all amplified by the wine’s intensity, depth and textural poise."
- Item #: i_351598Bottle Size: 750mlThe vineyards are farmed organically. The only thing David Croix doesn’t like in 2016 is the lack of volume. He was full of praise for the quality of the vintage, explaining that the grapes were very healthy at harvest despite the difficult season, and said the aromas in the winery during fermentation were glorious. He describes the wines as “harmonious, with nothing that is out of balance”. No Bourgogne was made this year, there are tiny volumes of village wines and several of the Beaune Premiers Crus have been blended to make a single wine. In fact, only Corton-Charlemagne has achieved anything like a normal yield. This has delicious red fruit and almost endless strawberry and juicy cherry flavours- although this is not a massive wine. The 60-year-old vines are planted on shallow topsoil with lots of iron oxide which gives the dense tannic structure.
- Item #: i_352091Bottle Size: 750mlDemougeot is a native of Burgundy who started his domaine in the heart of Meursault in 1992. Today he has a total of almost 20 acres under vine and makes 14 different wines so there isn't much of any single wine. There are no synthetic herbicides, pesticides or fertilizers used in the vineyards. Much of the plowing is done with a horse and all harvest is by hand. The farming is probably closer to biodynamic than organic but he follows neither with religious ferver, instead relying on his connection with the land to determine the methods that keep the land the healthiest and most lively. The style here is one of classism and elegance. The wines are gentle and never forced yet have a verve that allows them to age with ease. Fermentation is done in cement cuve. Elevage is relatively long at 18 months for both the red and whites. Chardonnay grapes for this 2016 Meursault are sourced from three distinct parcels in three lieux-dits, namely ‘Les Chaumes, ‘Les Pellans’ and ‘Limouzin’. Vines are 18-60 years of age. Matured for 12 months in French oak barriques, 10% new. It shows hints of white peach and minerals on the nose. Elegant and bracing on the palate with beautiful notes of peach, apple, nectarine and minerality.
- Item #: i_351279Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Pouilly-Fuissé Tête de Cru Clos des Prouges was cropped at a mere 29 hectoliters per hectare this year, and it's a little more fleshy and exotic in profile, bursting with aromas of spring flowers, orange zest, peaches and fresh pastry. On the palate, it's full-bodied, ample and rich, with succulent balancing acids and a long, fragrant finish. It's a bit more precocious than usual and will drink well out of the gates."
- Item #: i_351283Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Decanter: 93 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Pouilly-Fuissé Hors-Classe Tournant de Pouilly is one of the more reserved wines in the portfolio, unfurling reluctantly in the glass with notes of ripe lemons, yellow orchard fruit and pastry cream. On the palate, it's full-bodied, deep and dense, with considerable concentration and substance, balanced by the bright acids that this domaine seems so unfailingly to capture. This has considerable aging potential and will demand two or three years' patience."
DECANTER 93 POINTS - "This cuvée hails from one hectare of old vines in an east-facing climat near the hamlet of Pouilly. A sweet bouquet of confit citrus, yellow orchard fruit, fresh almonds and orange zest is followed by a full-bodied, vibrant palate with an almost electric sense of energy, lovely depth at the core, and a long, pure finish. This is beautifully bright, yet also clearly the product of ripe grapes."
BURGHOUND 91 POINTS - "A pungent combination offers up strong notes of petrol where additional breadth is present in the form of essence of white orchard fruit and oak toast. The mouth feel of the equally sized flavors is slightly more refined yet there is fine concentration and punch on the bitter lemon-inflected finish. This needs a few years to better harmonize and to develop better depth but the underlying material appears to be present such that it should progressively improve."
- Item #: i_351264Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 92 POINTS - "Enough reduction is present to push the underlying fruit to the background. Otherwise there is a similar sense of energy to the slightly rounder and softer medium-bodied flavors that aren't quite as mineral-driven or complex but do offer fine persistence on the balanced finish. This should be approachable young if desired. This should be approachable young if desired."
- Item #: i_351263Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91-93BIODYNAMIC
BURGHOUND 92 - 94 POINTS - "Firm reduction renders the nose impossible to assess today. More interesting are the racy, tight, intense and relatively powerful medium weight flavors that possess first-rate mid-palate concentration thanks to the copious level of dry extract that also buffers the firm core of ripe acidity shaping the admirably long and well-balanced finale. Note that at least some patience will be required."
WINE ADVOCATE 91 - 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Puligny Montrachet 1er Cru Combettes has a taut but very focused bouquet that displays more vigor than the Clavoillon, just a subtle touch of hazelnut in the background lending complexity. The palate is very well balanced, very harmonious and more understated than in recent vintages. It just begins to fan out on the last quarter with touches of spice and ginger that linger in the mouth on the aftertaste. I often rate Leflaive's Combettes highly and this is no different."
VINOUS 91 - 93 POINTS - "(the yield here was 30 hectoliters per hectare, according to winemaker Pierre Vincent): More complex and perfumed on the nose than the Clavoillon, offering scents of lemon drop, white peach, wild flowers, herbs and vanillin oak. At once silky and vibrant, with citrus, stone fruit and delicate spicy oak flavors showing a captivating sucrosité. Impeccably balanced wine with perfectly integrated acidity."
- Item #: i_350948Bottle Size: 750mlVINOUS 92 - 94 POINTS - "(just 25 hectoliters per hectare produced, due to frost and some incidence of mildew and oidium): Pale yellow. Musky ripe peach and wild flowers on the nose and palate. Distinctly salty, tactile and energetic, conveying a strong impression of site character. The mid-palate fruit is currently a bit suppressed but this energetic wine builds slowly on the back end and saturates the palate with saline minerality."
BURGHOUND 91 - 94 POINTS - "A ripe yet cool and airy nose is comprised by notes of green apple, citrus zest, pear and once again, plenty of floral influence. The notably rich and generously proportioned flavors exude both minerality and salinity on the beautifully complex finale. Despite the richness the mid-palate mouth feel is actually based more on finesse and refinement than usual. Excellent."
- Item #: i_351769Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 92 PointsDECANTER 92 POINTS - "The Vaudésir is the ripest and most giving of the three grand cru bottlings in the range this year, offering up an expressive bouquet of peach, preserved lemon and flowers. The wine is textural, full-bodied and concentrated, with notable extract buttressed by ripe but succulent acids that evoke the wines of the 2015 vintage." Drinking Window 2020 - 2030
- Item #: i_350484Bottle Size: 750mlThis is pure and elegant this year, offering up a bouquet of lemon oil, nutmeg, toasted wheat and honeysuckle. On the palate the wine is medium-full and nicely layered, with good concentration in an open-knit but vibrant style.
- Item #: i_352054Bottle Size: 750mlThis is brought up just like a top tier wine from Meursault with about 10% new French oak for 12 months followed by 6 months in stainless steel before bottling (known as the "Roulot method"). It brims with stony minerals, Meyer lemon zest and is packed with tension and shimmering acidity, rounded with just a kiss of new oak. This is flat out brilliant Chardonnay that you need in your glass NOW!
- Item #: i_352205Bottle Size: 750mlGuillaume and Aude Lavollée represent the fourth generation of vignerons at Génot-Boulanger. Their wines are produced exclusively from estate-owned vineyards, located along all three Burgundy côtes, from Chambolle Musigny, down to the domaine in Meursault, and on to Mercurey. With 22 hectares, Génot-Boulanger is one of only a few family-owned Burgundian domaines to produce such a diverse range. (They produce wine from over 30 appellations!) Since 2008, Guillaume and Aude have worked painstakingly to improve the quality of their wines, converting to organic farming practices and experimenting with biodynamics. The domaine’s philosophy is “maximum work in the vineyards for minimum intervention in the cuverie.” This has translated to wines that are first and foremost true to their terroir. Location: Vines on the hillside southwest of the village Soils: White shale and limestone Surface Area: 0.61 hectares Grape Variety: Chardonnay, average age of vines : 15 years Vinification: We harvest entirely by hand – sorting takes place on a sorting table at the winery. Pneumatic pressing of the grapes. Alcoholic and malolactic fermentation in oak barrels (25% new barrels). Aging: 8 to 10 months in barrel
- Item #: i_351362Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 93JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "Attractive grapefruit and white peaches with a gentle reductive edge. The palate has a very intense, concentrated core of lemons and tart peaches with creamed honey. A pithy, juicy texture. Excellent quality here. Drink or hold."
- Item #: i_350837Bottle Size: 750mlWhilst Chavy’s have been living in Puligny Montrachet for over 200 years it was not until 1986 that Gerard Chavy started to estate bottle his own wine (previously the wines were sold to negotiants).
The estate of Gerard Chavy has now been split into 2 separate estates by his sons, Jean-Louis Chavy, and Alain Chavy. We import the wines from Jean-Louis who has built a brand new winemaking facility and a deep temperature controlled cellar at the bottom of the village.
Vinification is classic with temperature control and only natural yeasts used for fermentation. The average age of vines at this estate is impressive with most vineyards now aged between 20 to 40 years old. For the elevage of the wines the use of new oak is restrained with the village Puligny seeing only 15% new oak and the 1er cru’s just 25%. Unfortunately there are no Grand cru vineyards among his holdings, however his 1er cru’s are located very close to some of the best vineyards in Puligny.
Jean-Louis’ wines show fine fruit purity, with mineral notes giving an extra dimension. These are wines of classic style that age and develop gracefully.
Has a lifted mineral nose with subtle scents of honeysuckle and almond, certainly endowed with the vigour one expects from this vineyard. The palate is fine, harmonious and svelte on the entry. This is a Perrieres demonstrating typical fine mineral nuance, though it needs more time to develop and show its best.
- Item #: i_351619Bottle Size: 750mlThe name "Sous Éguison" refers to the cliff above the vineyard. The cliff offers protection from the North winds, which is a significant advantage given how harsh the climate is and how bitter the Spring frosts are at this altitude. The natural growth cycle of the vines is also slower and the grapes mature a full week later than at lower levels. The vineyard was planted by Caroline Lestime on a terroir which gives the Chardonnay varietal great power. This cuvee expresses the tradition and experience of great quality.
- Item #: i_352712Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92-94WINE ADVOCATE 92-94 POINTS: "The 2016 Chablis 1er Cru Montee de Tonnerre has such a pretty, winsome bouquet with scents of pressed white flowers, white peach, subtle smoke and walnut aromas. The palate is flinty on the entry with wonderful tension. This is not a powerful Chablis but one that emphasizes the terroir and is blessed with a precise, elegant and persistent finish. This is an outstanding effort by Benoît Droin and clearly the pick of his premier crus this year."
VINOUS 92-94 POINTS: "Light yellow-green. Captivating, soil-driven scents of lime skin, crushed rock, fresh herbs and caraway seed. In a distinctly cool style, despite the fact that Droin picked these vines later at 12.8% potential alcohol due to hydric stress here in August, but with noteworthy density to the slightly reduced flavors of anise and rock. Not hugely ripe but strong in extract and very long and saline on the slowly building aftertaste, finishing with a suggestion of silex. I love the cool minerality on display here."
- Item #: i_351915Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 99JAMES SUCKLING 99 POINTS: "The complexity and sheer magnitude of Montrachet is on full show here. A powerful expression of the largest holdings in the Puligny side of the vineyard. Grilled hazelnuts, grilled peaches, grapefruit and lemon citrus, as well as a layer of spiced nougat-like aromas. There’s a very long, concentrated and dense palate that starts out cloaked in flavors of rich peaches and glossy fruits. The flavors then peel away in layers as it sits on the palate, revealing a very focused, refined and essence-like citrus core with tremendous elegance and intensity. Drink or hold through the next decade. Or even longer if you desire."
BURGHOUND 95 POINTS: "DON'T MISS!"A strikingly pretty and layered nose reflects notes of mineral reduction, citrus peel, acacia blossom, spice and essence of green apple. There is excellent freshness and terrific intensity to the big-bodied and tautly muscular flavors that brim with impressive amounts of dry extract on the balanced and explosively long finish that really fans out as it sits on the palate. This is very much still a work in progress and I would recommend not touching a bottle for at least 5 years and 12 to 15 would be better."