- Item #: i_352674Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC
Aged 24 months on fine lees in foudre
Jean-François creates a stunning number of cuvées, ranging between thirty-five and forty every year! His methodology goes far beyond the details of the average vigneron. For some, his process would be maddening, as each cuvée calls for a highly individualized élévage. Jean-François is committed to minute doses of sulfur, so low in fact, that many fear it hurting the wines during transport. He curbs this issue entirely by aging many of his whites on the lees for extended periods of time, anywhere from two to eleven years! In all of his years making wine, he has never had a problem. In the Jura, many of the wines go through a traditional, intentional oxidation; however Jean-François aims to lend a greater lightness and elegance to wines of this style than are typical. He gravitates toward the Burgundian style, using ouillage to top off barrels. Jean-François Ganevat is a master of his craft, one of the true magicians of the eclectic. To say that his grapes are spun into gold would not be far from the truth; they are entirely otherworldly.
- Item #: i_351473Bottle Size: 750mlDomaine Boisson, located in Meursault, was not very well known until recently. It was a kind of hidden gem. The domaine is part of the family Domaine Boisson-Vadot which is divided into three entities: the parents have Boisson-Vadot, the son Pierre Boisson and the daughter Anne Boisson. The élevage for the wines is long (between 15 and 20 months) and the quality of the wine is regular, with great finesse and infinite finish. The Meursault Sous la Velle has an open bouquet with aromas of citrus and white-fleshed fruit (apple and pear) and acacia notes. It has a fresh, nicely fruity palate with a distinctive mineral quality.
- Item #: i_350693Bottle Size: 750mlDomaine Boisson-Vadot is one of the fine, outstanding small producers in the village of Meursault that are not particularly well known beyond their native France, but which produce stellar examples of Meursault. The Boisson family have been vignerons in Meursault for more than two centuries, and the wines today are as fine as they have ever been in the long and illustrious family history. The wines of Boisson-Vadot, Pierre Boisson and Anne Boisson are all produced collaboratively at the family's cellars in Meursault. The hierarchy starts with the domaine’s excellent Bourgogne Blanc, from vines in the village of Meursault, which could easily be mistaken for a Meursault with its broad texture and hints of lime, nuts and honey.
- Item #: i_351912Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 92Decanter: 93 PointsDECANTER 93 POINTS: "This great vineyard can, in some incarnations and for no obvious reason, almost seem to acquire a seaweedy, marine allure and an umami intrigue inside its cascade of stony citrus and restrained green apple. That's the case here, all amplified by the wine’s intensity, depth and textural poise."
- Item #: i_345021Bottle Size: 750MLChassagne-Montrachet La Boudriotte 1er Cru is located on the grounds of the Morgeot Abbey and is technically a subsection of Morgeot. Boudriotte itself is made up of six individual lieux-dits, all of which may also be bottled as Morgeot 1er Cru. The vineyard lies on a gentle slope of gravel, clay, and limestone, from vines planted between 1932 and 1969.
Domaine Blain-Gagnard was formed in 1980 when Jean-Marc Blain (a Sancerrois) married Claudine Gagnard, youngest daughter of Jacques and Marie-Josephe Gagnard of Domaine Gagnard-Delagrange. The couple runs this venerable domaine with the help of their son Marc-Antonin. Jean-Marc Blain and Claudine Gagnard met while they were both studying oenology at Dijon. The estate’s vineyards come mainly from grandparents and other relatives of Claudine, along with a few purchases. The vines are planted in Chardonnay (55%) and the rest in pinot noir, with a small parcel of Passetoutgrain. They now control 20.5 acres of vines in Chassagne-Montrachet, including holdings in three grands crus: Le Montrachet, Batard-Montrachet, and Criots-Batard-Montrachet.
Food pairing White Burgundy, with its rich texture and toasted flavors, pairs well with white fish and shellfish, and its naturally high acidity can counterbalance cream-based sauces. Oak-aging lends itself well to grilled fish, starches, butter, and toasted nuts.
Like Morgeot, La Boudriotte can have weight, depth,and richness, but is typically a bit more finessed. Aromas and flavors of yellow apples, lemons, and minerals are accompanied by notes of vanilla and toast thanks to aging in 30% new Burgundian piece.
- Item #: i_345518Bottle Size: 750MLBURGHOUND 90 POINTS - "In contrast to the Pouilly-Fuissé, the reduction is sufficiently prominent that I would advise decanting this first. Otherwise there is excellent concentration to the sappy and palate coating flavors that possess a lovely texture that extends to the solidly complex and sneaky long finish."
- Item #: i_345574Bottle Size: 750MLBurghound: 89Situated in the heart of the Chassagne-Montrachet region of Burgundy’s scenic Cote d’Or, Chateau de la Maltroye is easily recognizable from afar by its signature glazed tile roof. This stately bourgeois mansion was actually constructed in the 18th century over the ruins of a 15th century building, whose old cellar was nevertheless maintained, and continues to store the estate’s wines today. The vines are 40 years old on average, though most of them are well over 50. Jean-Pierre and his team carry out extensive manual soil work and sustainable treatments on these vines. This beautiful and rare Chardonnay offers floral touches of hawthorn, acacia and honeysuckle, along with verbena and hazelnut on the nose. On the palate, the wine reveals a deep minerality and a kind of toasted character, developing notes of honey and ripe pear over time.
- Item #: i_351598Bottle Size: 750mlThe vineyards are farmed organically. The only thing David Croix doesn’t like in 2016 is the lack of volume. He was full of praise for the quality of the vintage, explaining that the grapes were very healthy at harvest despite the difficult season, and said the aromas in the winery during fermentation were glorious. He describes the wines as “harmonious, with nothing that is out of balance”. No Bourgogne was made this year, there are tiny volumes of village wines and several of the Beaune Premiers Crus have been blended to make a single wine. In fact, only Corton-Charlemagne has achieved anything like a normal yield. This has delicious red fruit and almost endless strawberry and juicy cherry flavours- although this is not a massive wine. The 60-year-old vines are planted on shallow topsoil with lots of iron oxide which gives the dense tannic structure.
- Item #: i_352091Bottle Size: 750mlDemougeot is a native of Burgundy who started his domaine in the heart of Meursault in 1992. Today he has a total of almost 20 acres under vine and makes 14 different wines so there isn't much of any single wine. There are no synthetic herbicides, pesticides or fertilizers used in the vineyards. Much of the plowing is done with a horse and all harvest is by hand. The farming is probably closer to biodynamic than organic but he follows neither with religious ferver, instead relying on his connection with the land to determine the methods that keep the land the healthiest and most lively. The style here is one of classism and elegance. The wines are gentle and never forced yet have a verve that allows them to age with ease. Fermentation is done in cement cuve. Elevage is relatively long at 18 months for both the red and whites. Chardonnay grapes for this 2016 Meursault are sourced from three distinct parcels in three lieux-dits, namely ‘Les Chaumes, ‘Les Pellans’ and ‘Limouzin’. Vines are 18-60 years of age. Matured for 12 months in French oak barriques, 10% new. It shows hints of white peach and minerals on the nose. Elegant and bracing on the palate with beautiful notes of peach, apple, nectarine and minerality.
- Item #: i_351059Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "The 2016 Pouilly-Fuissé Madrigal saw contact with a new barrel, and notes of spice and toast inflect its bouquet of ripe citrus fruits. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, with the most texture and mid-palate amplitude of any wine in the range, though there's still plenty of tangy acid lending cut and tension."
Domaine Frantz Chagnoleau is a small estate run by two talented winemakers, Frantz Chagnoleau and his wife Caroline Gon (winemaker at Heritiers du Comte Lafon). Frantz has a degree in Oenology and cut his teeth working for Olivier Merlin in the Mâconnais. Caroline holds two degrees in agricultural engineering and oenology; she worked at Newton Vineyards in Napa Valley before returning to France to work with Dominique Lafon as head winemaker for Héritiers du Comte Lafon. The relationship with Dominque as a friend and mentor has had a great influence on the couple, which is evident in a lineup of pure, terroir driven Mâconnais wines.
Since 2013 all of the vineyards have been certified organic. As with Lafon, this dynamic duo believe in minimal intervention, which includes the use of only indigenous yeast, as the best way to express the nuances of each unique terroir. Aging is done in mostly large, used French oak, harvest is done completely by hand on a plot by plot basis, allowing each vine to achieve the appropriate balance of sugar and acidity before being picked. This dynamic duo is one of the most talented teams in all of Burgundy, farming the old-fashioned way and making micro-quantities of single vineyard White Burgundy from some of the finest Chardonnay terroir in the world.
- Item #: i_351279Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Pouilly-Fuissé Tête de Cru Clos des Prouges was cropped at a mere 29 hectoliters per hectare this year, and it's a little more fleshy and exotic in profile, bursting with aromas of spring flowers, orange zest, peaches and fresh pastry. On the palate, it's full-bodied, ample and rich, with succulent balancing acids and a long, fragrant finish. It's a bit more precocious than usual and will drink well out of the gates."
- Item #: i_351283Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Decanter: 93 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Pouilly-Fuissé Hors-Classe Tournant de Pouilly is one of the more reserved wines in the portfolio, unfurling reluctantly in the glass with notes of ripe lemons, yellow orchard fruit and pastry cream. On the palate, it's full-bodied, deep and dense, with considerable concentration and substance, balanced by the bright acids that this domaine seems so unfailingly to capture. This has considerable aging potential and will demand two or three years' patience."
DECANTER 93 POINTS - "This cuvée hails from one hectare of old vines in an east-facing climat near the hamlet of Pouilly. A sweet bouquet of confit citrus, yellow orchard fruit, fresh almonds and orange zest is followed by a full-bodied, vibrant palate with an almost electric sense of energy, lovely depth at the core, and a long, pure finish. This is beautifully bright, yet also clearly the product of ripe grapes."
BURGHOUND 91 POINTS - "A pungent combination offers up strong notes of petrol where additional breadth is present in the form of essence of white orchard fruit and oak toast. The mouth feel of the equally sized flavors is slightly more refined yet there is fine concentration and punch on the bitter lemon-inflected finish. This needs a few years to better harmonize and to develop better depth but the underlying material appears to be present such that it should progressively improve."
- Item #: i_352652Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS: "There are merely 1,400 magnums of the 2016 Pouilly-Fuissé Vignes de la Côte, but it is a fabulous wine that will be worth every effort to track down. Unfurling in the glass with notes of honeycomb, crisp yellow orchard fruits, waxy lemon rind, nutmeg and subtle touches of praline and sesame, it's full-bodied, ample and enveloping, with stunningly satiny texture, a deep, multidimensional core and a bright line of acidity that defines the long and penetrating finish."
- Item #: i_350374Bottle Size: 750mlJON GILMAN 91 POINTS - "Monsieur Vincent noted that the yields here were quite correct in 2016 and the wine was showing quite nicely at the time of my visit, offering up a bright bouquet of apple, touches of tangerine and pink grapefruit, chalky soil tones, spring flowers, fresh almond and a whisper of vanillin oak. On the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied and zesty, with a fine core, very good cut and grip and a long, nascently complex and energetic finish. Good juice."
BURGHOUND 89 - 91 POINTS - "A discreet application of wood easily allows the aromas of acacia blossom, lavender, citrus and the essence of white-fleshed fruit to be appreciated. The caressing and quite refined flavors exude a subtle salinity on the refreshing, firm and sneaky long finale. This should make for a very fine villages with a few years of cellaring."
- Item #: i_351264Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 92 POINTS - "Enough reduction is present to push the underlying fruit to the background. Otherwise there is a similar sense of energy to the slightly rounder and softer medium-bodied flavors that aren't quite as mineral-driven or complex but do offer fine persistence on the balanced finish. This should be approachable young if desired. This should be approachable young if desired."
- Item #: i_351263Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91-93BIODYNAMIC
BURGHOUND 92 - 94 POINTS - "Firm reduction renders the nose impossible to assess today. More interesting are the racy, tight, intense and relatively powerful medium weight flavors that possess first-rate mid-palate concentration thanks to the copious level of dry extract that also buffers the firm core of ripe acidity shaping the admirably long and well-balanced finale. Note that at least some patience will be required."
WINE ADVOCATE 91 - 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Puligny Montrachet 1er Cru Combettes has a taut but very focused bouquet that displays more vigor than the Clavoillon, just a subtle touch of hazelnut in the background lending complexity. The palate is very well balanced, very harmonious and more understated than in recent vintages. It just begins to fan out on the last quarter with touches of spice and ginger that linger in the mouth on the aftertaste. I often rate Leflaive's Combettes highly and this is no different."
VINOUS 91 - 93 POINTS - "(the yield here was 30 hectoliters per hectare, according to winemaker Pierre Vincent): More complex and perfumed on the nose than the Clavoillon, offering scents of lemon drop, white peach, wild flowers, herbs and vanillin oak. At once silky and vibrant, with citrus, stone fruit and delicate spicy oak flavors showing a captivating sucrosité. Impeccably balanced wine with perfectly integrated acidity."
- Item #: i_350948Bottle Size: 750mlVINOUS 92 - 94 POINTS - "(just 25 hectoliters per hectare produced, due to frost and some incidence of mildew and oidium): Pale yellow. Musky ripe peach and wild flowers on the nose and palate. Distinctly salty, tactile and energetic, conveying a strong impression of site character. The mid-palate fruit is currently a bit suppressed but this energetic wine builds slowly on the back end and saturates the palate with saline minerality."
BURGHOUND 91 - 94 POINTS - "A ripe yet cool and airy nose is comprised by notes of green apple, citrus zest, pear and once again, plenty of floral influence. The notably rich and generously proportioned flavors exude both minerality and salinity on the beautifully complex finale. Despite the richness the mid-palate mouth feel is actually based more on finesse and refinement than usual. Excellent."
- Item #: i_351769Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 92 PointsDECANTER 92 POINTS - "The Vaudésir is the ripest and most giving of the three grand cru bottlings in the range this year, offering up an expressive bouquet of peach, preserved lemon and flowers. The wine is textural, full-bodied and concentrated, with notable extract buttressed by ripe but succulent acids that evoke the wines of the 2015 vintage." Drinking Window 2020 - 2030
- Item #: i_350071Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 92-93JAMES SUCKLING 92-93 POINTS - "This is a real Puligny with lemons and cooked apples. Hints of straw and limestone. Full- to medium-bodied, layered and clean. Bright finish. A beauty. Savory and salt at the end. Drink now."
- Item #: i_350484Bottle Size: 750mlThis is pure and elegant this year, offering up a bouquet of lemon oil, nutmeg, toasted wheat and honeysuckle. On the palate the wine is medium-full and nicely layered, with good concentration in an open-knit but vibrant style.
- Item #: i_352054Bottle Size: 750mlThis is brought up just like a top tier wine from Meursault with about 10% new French oak for 12 months followed by 6 months in stainless steel before bottling (known as the "Roulot method"). It brims with stony minerals, Meyer lemon zest and is packed with tension and shimmering acidity, rounded with just a kiss of new oak. This is flat out brilliant Chardonnay that you need in your glass NOW!