- Item #: i_333545Bottle Size: 750MLThe de Villaines farm three appellations within the Côte Chalonaise, namely Bouzeron (Aligoté), Rully (Chardonnay) and Mercurey (Pinot Noir). Their single-vineyard parcels are stunning examples of what this complex and amazing terroir can yield. Though their wines are quite enjoyable young, their ability to age well is what one might expect from a master such as de Villaine. Much of this is due to both the diversity of his vinestock and his organic and biodynamic methodology in the vineyards, both of which Aubert stands by with great conviction. He also ferments his Mercureys in wood cuves, a style adopted from DRC.
- Item #: i_374624Bottle Size: 750mlFor the Chauvet, harmony in champagne is not just important, it is elemental. As such, they are regional champions of the art of blending Chardonnay and Pinot Noir, and they take an unabashedly classical approach in the vineyards and in the cellars. Farming their family’s 10 hectares sustainably in five of the Montagne de Reims’s 17 grand crus—Bouzy, Ambonnay, Verzy, Verzenay and Bisseuil— one feels a complex synergy to the final wines where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Long fermentations and extended élevages on the lees help develop complexity and fine aromatics, while also radically reducing the need for sulfur and eschewing the need for malolactic fermentations. In the end, their harmony in both their partnership and practice yields elegant, earthy and aromatic champagnes with a fine, satiny mousse that dances across the palate. That they are also capable of long cellar aging is a fitting legacy for a family who has endured since 1848, and whose family home in Tours-sur-Marne features an immaculately preserved salon, dating to the early 1900's.
- Item #: i_377573Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93VINOUS WINE MEDIA 94 POINTS-"All of the natural power and breath of Avize come through in the 2013 Extra Brut Blanc de Blancs Grand Cru L’Avizoise. Graphite, crushed rocks and dried flowers are woven throughout a core of rich, super-expressive Chardonnay fruit. The 2013 is ample, savory and intensely mineral, but it will be even better in another few years, once all the elements have time to fully meld together. The 2013 is such a gorgeous and expressive Champagne. These 50+ year-old vines in the Les Robards and La Voie d’Epernay confer real depth and pedigree. Dosage: 5 gr/L. Disgorged: May, 2019."
- Item #: i_350698Bottle Size: 750mlThe wines of Domaine Boisson-Vadot have always been excellent, with a classic, soil-driven and racy style not encumbered by excessive new oak or extensive battonage, but the wines have taken a notable step up in quality now that father and son Boisson are working side by side. The Boisson family have been vignerons in Meursault for more than two centuries, and the wines today are as fine as they have ever been in the long and illustrious family history.
- Item #: i_351473Bottle Size: 750mlDomaine Boisson, located in Meursault, was not very well known until recently. It was a kind of hidden gem. The domaine is part of the family Domaine Boisson-Vadot which is divided into three entities: the parents have Boisson-Vadot, the son Pierre Boisson and the daughter Anne Boisson. The élevage for the wines is long (between 15 and 20 months) and the quality of the wine is regular, with great finesse and infinite finish. The Meursault Sous la Velle has an open bouquet with aromas of citrus and white-fleshed fruit (apple and pear) and acacia notes. It has a fresh, nicely fruity palate with a distinctive mineral quality.
- Item #: i_353019Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The 2017 Meursault Sous la Velle reveals inviting aromas of fresh pear and white flowers, complemented by hints of oatmeal and almond paste. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, layered and nicely concentrated, with lively acids and a charming, satiny profile. This will offer a broad drinking window."
- Item #: i_353801Bottle Size: 750mlAnne Gros simply is one of the top winemakers in Burgundy today, which explains why her wines have inspired such a cult-like following. Importantly for us, Gros personifies the sort of winemaker with whom we have always sought to work: an artisan with a clear vision of her terroir and talents, and the grace to be humble despite the weight of Burgundian tradition and family history.
- Item #: i_350552Bottle Size: 750mlSubtle, harmonious - Burgundy from Domaine Anne Gros is intimately tied with the elegant and poised character of wines from Vosne-Romanée.
While each cru faithfully reflects its terroir, it is terroir as translated through Gros’ expert touch, offering richer aromatics, rounder curves, silkier tannins. The combination is irresistible, so much so that Gros’ very limited production is snapped up by global collectors faster and faster each vintage.
Anne Gros simply is one of the top winemakers in Burgundy today, which explains why her wines have inspired such a cult-like following. Importantly for us, Gros personifies the sort of winemaker with whom we have always sought to work: an artisan with a clear vision of her terroir and talents, and the grace to be humble despite the weight of Burgundian tradition and family history.
Anne Gros cares for her vineyards according to “lutte raisonée” principles, adhering to organic practices as much as possible depending on the conditions of the growing year. Grapes are always harvested by hand. Juice is fermented on indigenous yeasts in lined (enameled) cement tanks for the reds, and in stainless steel tanks for the whites. Wines are aged in barrel for approximately 16 months, with 80 percent new oak for grand cru wines, 50 percent for village wines and 30 percent for regional wines.
- Item #: i_352593Bottle Size: 750mlWINERY NOTE: This blend is almost exclusively from domain grapes. The lieux-dits are sprinkled throughout Meursault: Les Criots is on the Volnay side, Au Moulin Landin is in the center, Les Millerands is closer to Puligny, and the Bois de Blagny has a higher elevation (giving tension and minerality to the blend).
- Item #: i_353018Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The last vintage that will appear under the old Boisson-Vadot label is the 2016 Meursault Les Chevalières, a lovely wine that wafts from the glass with aromas of crisp yellow orchard fruit, orange oil, iodine and toasted nuts. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, firm and chiseled, with a tensile spine of acidity and a chalky, mouthwatering finish."
- Item #: i_353336Bottle Size: 750mlPasses of first smoky notes, evoking toasted sesame and flint, it is indeed the spring freshness that illuminates this elegant and intense Folatières. Lemon zest, honeysuckle, apple blossom, a mineral touch evoking the wet pebble, an iodized nuance of oyster shell, fresh hazelnut, wild mint and coriander: the bouquet, versatile as desired, shows a great distinction. A few brioche touches and a delicate nuance of acacia honey provide just the right amount of gluttony, while the fruit expresses itself in all its truth, with frank flavors of pear, Reinette apple and nectarine. If still very young, this Puligny 1 er Cru Folatières has a dense material but perfectly sheathed by a stimulating acidity, with lemony flavors. Let there be no mistake: there is a huge underlying structure, with fat and lamb's lettuce, which requires only a few years in the cellar to unfold fully and nest perfectly with this ubiquitous mineral tension.
- Item #: i_350691Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93WINE ADVOATE 93 POINTS - "The lovely 2017 Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru La Maltroie reveals aromas of crisp green pear, honeycomb, fresh pastry and white flowers, followed by a medium to full-bodied, satiny but fine-boned palate that's elegant and precise. As I wrote last year, it combines some of the qualities of Chenevottes and Vergers."
- Item #: i_353244Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 90VINOUS 90 POINTS - "The 2018 Bourgogne Chardonnay, which had been bottled by the time of my visit, has a clean, precise apple blossom and citrus-scented bouquet that shows impressive definition for a generic white Burgundy. The palate is taut and fresh with a touch of bitter lemon on the entry, superb acidity and a saline finish. You will not find a better white Bourgogne Blanc in 2018."
- Item #: i_353240Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92-94VINOUS 92-94 POINTS - "The 2018 Chassagne-Montrachet Champs Gain 1er Cru, the smallest cuvée of the domaine, this year represented by two barrels, has a gorgeous bouquet of citrus lemon, almond flakes, nectarine and subtle praline aromas. The palate is very well balanced with a fine bead of acidity, sharing the same weight and density as the La Maltroye but leading to a slightly more mineral-edged, almost stoic finish. This will be fascinating to monitor in bottle."
- Item #: i_353921Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92-94VINOUS 92-94 - "The 2018 Chassagne-Montrachet Les Chenevottes 1er Cru has a beautifully defined bouquet of yellow plum, linseed and citrus lemon scents complemented by hints of pressed flowers; a suggestion of orange rind appears with aeration. The palate is beautifully balanced with a fine line of acidity, and quite spicy and energetic, revealing touches of pepper and even a dab of curry powder toward the long, complex finish. Another great success for Alex Moreau."
- Item #: i_353923Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91-93Vinous Media: 91-93WINE ADVOCATE 91-93 - "Bursting with aromas of ripe citrus, pear and mint that are framed by a deft touch of oak, Moreau's 2018 Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru La Maltroie is medium to full-bodied, elegantly textural and precise. Racier than the more enveloping Chenevottes, it's also more tender and charming than the incisive Vergers.
VINOUS 91-93 - "The 2018 Chassagne-Montrachet La Maltroye 1er Cru has a slightly reserved bouquet that is less expressive than its sibling Chassagnes at the moment; fleeting touches of citrus lemon and smoke emerge with aeration. The palate is well balanced with a very saline opening that counters the richness on the midpalate. There is weight and power to this Maltroye, yet the acidity offsets that and leaves it feeling perfectly balanced, with a very long, spicy tail on the finish. Excellent."
- Item #: i_353241Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 90-92VINOUS 90-92 POINTS - "The 2018 Chassagne-Montrachet Village had been blended in July and fined three weeks prior to my visit. It has a delightful bouquet of orange blossom, tinned peach and touches of wild mint, quite intense for a Village Cru. The palate is taut, fresh and spicy on the entry, with touches of white pepper and fennel infusing the citrus fruit. An almost clinical saline finish lingers in the mouth. Superb."
- Item #: i_353924Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92-94Vinous Media: 93-95Decanter: 94VINOUS 93-95 - "The 2018 Chassagne-Montrachet Morgeots 1er Cru has a tight, backward, stony bouquet; Alex Moreau mentioned that he strove to pick at the right time to keep a sense of strictness. The palate is taut and fresh on the entry, with a fine bead of acidity. Elegant and refined, without the weight of the Champs Gain or La Maltroye on the midpalate, but conveying a sense of athleticism and poise on the saline finish and an exceptionally persistent aftertaste. Superb."
DECANTER 94 - "Based on heavier, clay-limestone soils than most of Chassagne's Premiers Crus, this plush, powerful white is made with fruit from Les Fairendes and slightly stonier La Cardeuse. Smoky, oatmealy and textured, with beeswax and kitchen spice aromas, a taut mineral core and a palate-coating finish. Alex Moreau calls this a 'wine to lay down' and he's right."
WINE ADVOCATE 92-94 - "The 2018 Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Morgeot was one of the more reserved wines in the cellar when I tasted it, unwinding with notes of pear, peach, white flowers, mint and petrol. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, textural and precise, but needs time to fill out. Of course, that sense of reserve at this early stage is full of promise for the future."
- Item #: i_350690Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92-94Burghound: 90-92Vinous Media: 92-94Decanter: 94DECANTER 94 - "Alex Moreau's parcel of Les Vergers faces easy and sits on limestone-rich soils in the northern part of the village close to St. Aubin. This is a wonderful expression of the Premier Cru, aged in 20% new wood and combining understated power with chalky minerality, notes of vanilla spice and dessicated coconut and a long, mineral-fresh finish. Zippy and focused."
WINE ADVOCATE 92-94 - "With a finished pH of 3.19, the 2018 Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Vergers is one of the raciest wines in the cellar. Exhibiting scents of almond paste, citrus oil and crisp green orchard fruit, it's medium to full-bodied, deep and chiseled, with a textural attack and lovely mid-palate volume, concluding with a long and precise finish."
VINOUS 92-94 - "The 2018 Chassagne-Montrachet Les Vergers 1er Cru has a more reserved and austere bouquet compared to the Clos Saint-Jean, featuring scents of dewy green pasture and mountain streams and more malic in style. The palate is very well balanced with a keen line of acidity, notes of lemon rind mixed with orange pith and a touch of white peach and a little tangerine toward the elegant finish, which brims over with energy. Alex Moreau mentioned that this has the higher acidity of his cuvées, and you can feel it (in a good way)."
- Item #: i_353926Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-95WINE ADVOCATE 93-95 - "A new cuvée for Moreau debuts with the 2018 Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru, the result of an exchange in must from a proprietor with vines in Aloxe-Corton. Offering up aromas of green apple, white flowers, toasted nuts and iodine, the wine is full-bodied, deep and tensile, with a satiny attack that segues into a layered core that's framed by lively acids and chalky extract."
- Item #: i_353967Bottle Size: 750mlBernard Moreau’s ‘En Remilly’ never disappoints. This consistently delicious bottle oozes with flavors of green apple skin, lemon cream, brioche, and white flowers, marked by chalky, mineral-driven undertones and a touch of sweet oak. Full-bodied and lively, the wine remains balanced by zesty acidity and a grippy finish.
- Item #: i_354067Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 94DECANTER 94 POINTS - "Jean-Claude Bessin only makes 5,000 bottles of this old vine cuvée from a lieu-dit within the larger Fourchaume Premier Cru. Combining stainless steel and oaked components, it's rich, concentrated and appealingly honeyed, with subtle wood spices, a thread of minerality and a pure, focused, enticingly balance finish. These are never wines that have to try too hard."
- Item #: i_333543Bottle Size: 750MLBURGHOUND: "An intensely floral nose also evidences notes of pear and a citrus hint that is picked up by the very fresh and energetic flavors that possess sufficient detail to be interesting on the round, rich and rather forward flavors, all wrapped in an acceptably long finish. The recent bottling has clearly disturbed the balance but it seems as though this should recover quickly."