- Item #: i_352133Bottle Size: 750mlCERTIFIED ORGANIC
Natural fermentation, low doses of sulfur, cement cuve, no wood; long fermentations, then wines are aged for 6 to 8 months on fine lees.
Antoine set out on a solo mission that consisted of a return to natural farming and winemaking, and getting Patrimonio drunk by those who care, away from the tourists and off the island. Mission accomplished, to put it mildly. After all these years, Arena is the reference point of wine merchants the world over for great Corsican wine. It has done more for Corsica and Patrimonio than anyone could have dreamed of. So what makes Carco so special? The path to greatness is wrought with trials and tribulations. In the early days, Antoine’s rouges were inconsistent—at times great, at other times hot and funky, as he experimented with various ways to battle the island’s excessive heat. The Carco blanc, though, was perfection from the start: timeless Vermentinu imbued with salt, sun, and rocks year in and year out. Through it all, Carco kept steady and won Corsica its proverbial seat at the table. Chris Santini, Kermit Lynch wine merchant
- Item #: i_350734Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 94"It's another one of those values that almost seems too good to be true." - Jeb Dunnuck
Bastide Miraflors by Domaine Lafage has been our best-selling red wine from France and one of the stores' most popular wines over the past several years. In particular, the 2016 vintage of Bastide Miraflors has been gobbled up by our customers at an astonishing rate.
Sadly, this outstanding vintage is coming to an end so we grabbed the remaining bottles from the distributor. This fantastic Rhone blend received a 94 Point score from Jeb Dunnuck and is an off the charts value.
We have written several times about how great this wine is and its unbelievable quality to price ratio. This is a full-bodied blend composed of 80% Syrah and 20% Grenache. Bastide Miraflors is a rich, dark-fruited wine with silky smooth tannins made in a juicy, crowd-pleasing style.
This is a more than worthy follow-up to the email we recently sent out for Lafage Narassa, which quickly sold out. Jeb Dunnuck described this wine as "possessing a full-bodied, layered mouthfeel, sweet tannins, and sensational purity," He finishes the review by stating, "It's another one of those values that almost seems to good to be true."
This is another brilliant wine from Domaine Lafage and its importer Eric Solomon. We are thrilled to offer the remaining bottles from this vintage.
Grab the last of this fantastic wine and amazing value while you can. When it's gone, it's gone!
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "A wine that almost always over-delivers, the 2016 Côtes du Roussillon Bastide Miraflors is, I suspect, the finest vintage for this cuvée to date (it’s in the same league as the off-the-charts 2015). A blend of 80% Syrah and 20% Grenache from Lesquerde and Saint Martin de Fenouillet (both in the northern part of the Roussillon), aged all in older barrels and concrete tanks, it boasts rockstar notes of ripe blackberry fruits, spice, dried garrigue, and hints of chocolate. Possessing a full-bodied, layered mouthfeel, sweet tannins, and sensational purity, it’s another one of those values that almost seems too good to be true. Drink it any time over the coming 3-4 years."
- Item #: i_333477Bottle Size: 750MLA blend of Grenache, Syrah, and assorted Bordeaux varietals
WINEMAKER NOTES - Opaque with ruby accents, the wine is intensely perfumed with aromas of vivid wild berry, warm spice, plum, kirsch, lavender and subtle oak nuances. The entry is juicy and penetrating with rich flavors of ripe blackberry, racy currant and blueberry that generously coat the palate. Easy drinking, the finish is long and clean with just the right amount of polished tannins to keep the fruit in focus.
- Item #: i_322196Bottle Size: 750MLIn the late 1990s, René Rostaing, a great Northern Rhone wine maker, purchased a property in the Côteaux du Languedoc near Nîmes. Located in a relatively cool microclimate with limestone soils, grows Syrah with small amounts of Mourvèdre, Grenache, and Rolle. The terroir yields a slight garrique character. It may be the best example yet of the Rostaing's ethic: elegant, yet concentrated; expressive, but subtle; hedonistic, but cerebral.
- Item #: i_321133Bottle Size: 750MLThis was one of the easiest decisions we made all year! Yes! Yes!! Yes!!! We know the Tariquet is sure to please with its abundant fruit and snappy, crisp textures. Think pure lime and green apple, with hints of guava or kiwi. The Grassa family has owned Domaine du Tariquet in Armanac since 1912, but in 1982 they made the radical decision to bottle most of the grapes on the property as table wine, not a distilled brandy. Tariquet was the first producer in the region to make a commercial wine from the local Colombard & Ugni Blanc grapes and because these grapes oxidize quickly, Tariquet harvests at night directly into temperature controlled fermentation tanks that are rolled into the vineyard. No oxidation is possible, just pure freshness. Just five years later in 1987, winemaker Yves Grassa was named Winemaker of the Year at the largest competitive tasting event in the world, London’s International Wine Challenge.