- Item #: i_333928Bottle Size: 750MLThe small family domaine in France that works traditionally using techniques and savoir faire passed down across multiple generations is under serious threat today. Consolidation, technology, regulation, foreign investment, globalization, and many other factors (all in the name of progress), threaten the great agricultural tradition of winegrowing in France, arguably the world’s greatest winegrowing culture. Few domaines in France embody this way of life more ably and proudly than Domaine Albert Boxler in Niedermorschwihr. Jean Boxler, many generations removed from his ancestor of the same name that moved here from Switzerland in 1673, currently rules the roost at this humble yet incredibly exciting domaine. Intense and serious about his land, his craft, and his wine, Jean is the genius behind what are certainly some of the finest white wines in Alsace (and the world).
- Item #: i_354185Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 96 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 96 POINTS - ""Lemon and grapefruit zest are subtle but distinct on this wine's nose. The palate shows immense concentration, centered around vivid citrus zestiness that brightens and tingles on the midpalate. There is something driven and taut here, stony and bold."
- Item #: i_333400Bottle Size: 750mlJean-Marie Bechtold is a strong personality with a strong and genuine commitment to the environment. In and around Dahlheim in northern Alsace he makes (biodynamic wines in a very personal style). His hallmark is a special softness that brings out the subtle aspects of his grape material from the half dozen vineyards he carefully manages.In addition to Engelberg, Bechtold actively develops three interesting Lieux-dits;(literally said-location) Obere Hund, Silberberg and Sussenberg.
"most often carries almost no residual sugar and is a wine destined for cellaring. It is a complete wine with all the complexities conveyed by the limestone soil, yet it requires several years to marry its fruit and minerality together and reach full potential." MADROSE.COM
- Item #: i_354239Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Cardamom and pine needle notes are exotic on the nose of this finely meshed white. Light- to medium-bodied and zesty, with vibrant acidity married to flavors of baked peach, almond biscotti and candied orange zest. The graceful finish shows a lasting tang of salinity. Riesling, Pinot Blanc, Pinot Beurrot, Muscat and Pinot Noir."
- Item #: i_352076Bottle Size: 750mlFull-bodied and structured Pinot Blanc, yet bone-dry and mouthwatering. It exudes fresh and fruity aromas of yellow peaches and nectarine. A hint of hazelnut comes out with air. The mouthfeel is dense yet lent tension by its zesty minerality.
- Item #: i_353337Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 91VINOUS 91 POINTS - "Pale straw-green. Bright, fresh and juicy, with Earl Grey, elderberry, mint and grapefruit on the nose and in the mouth. Very fruity and even more floral in its bright, vibrant personality thanks to the majority of Muscat Ottonel (70%) and less Muscat d’Alsace (30%); the latter variety gives structure, but it’s the former that gives perfume. Readers might like to know that this lovely Muscat wine from Weinbach usually picks up a note of menthol three or four years after the harvest. Makes a perfect aperitif wine."
- Item #: i_354303Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ENTHUSIAST 90 POINTS - " Subtle notes of green pear and russet-pear peel promise freshness on the nose of this wine. The palate delivers on a concentrated, subtly fruited body that has an almost zesty element, but is also ripe and powerful. It is dry, bold and lasting on the finish."
- Item #: i_354381Bottle Size: 750mlThis presentation of the ancient Sylvaner comes from 60 yr. old vines grown in deep clay soil. An aromatic and exotic nose leads to a medium bodied palate of orchard fruit and bright acidity. Seven months on the lees and certified organic.
- Item #: i_352486Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ENTHUSIAST 92 POINTS - "Scented, lemony freshness lifts the pear and peach notes of this wine, creating a sense of anticipation. The palate pivots towards ripe, juicy yellow peach and revels in flavors made all the more intense by the medium-sweet style. This wine is juicy, bold and rounded."
- Item #: i_350641Bottle Size: 750mlJAMES SUCKLING 91 POINTS - "A joyful dry white that's brimming with fruit aromas, from pears to lychee to flowers. A medium body with a very attractive balance of juicy fruit and fresh acidity. A properly dry finish."
Gentil has become a joyous, convivial wine whose arrival the Hugel family always awaits with impatience in the spring following each vintage. Gentil shows pure, fresh aromas, very fruit-driven and floral, as well as expressive and flattering. On the palate, this dry wine has a lively, youthful fresh character that is refreshing, with a pleasant, scented finish. Gentil is a perfect wine to sip with friends or to enjoy with simple everyday meals. Gentil is best enjoyed chilled with saltwater and freshwater fish, shellfish, starters and hors d'oeuvres. Blend: 50% Sylvaner and Pinot Blanc, 15% Gewurztraminer, 22% Pinot Gris, 7% Riesling, 6% Muscat
- Item #: i_300180Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate-Pinot Blanc, Alsace, France - ""A delightful hint of creaminess is combined with juicy abundance and underlying firmness, and flavors of sweet corn typical for true Pinot Blanc mingle delightfully with fresh apple and Auxerrois-typical tangerine."
- Item #: i_354073Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 99JAMES SUCKLING 99 POINTS - "Almost absurdly fresh for its age. The spicy and mineral complexity is just beginning to emerge from the cloak of ripe tree fruits. This is as graceful as it is concentrated and as pristine as it is powerful. The best vintage of this wine so far released and the shining star of the vintage. Delicious now, but probably has a couple of decades ahead of it if you can resist its fascination now."
- Item #: i_300182Bottle Size: 750MLTasting notes by Serge Dubs, World's Best Sommelier 1989 :
Young, lively colour, moderately intense, bright lemon yellow with pistachio green hints, a flash of silver, delicately velvety and silky in appearance. Attractive, agreeable bouquet, not too forward, aromatic, perfumed, nicely elegant and refined. Mainly floral aromas of fresh rose, jasmine, reseda, lily, freesia, primrose, with passion fruit, mango and pear. The mouth is filled with aromas that are generous, yet still soft and suave to flatter and charm the palate. It is almost dry, with an elegant finish that is crisp and refreshing. A wine to enjoy now while it is young and its varietal qualities are clearly defined. Ideal as an aperitif, or at any time, to share an agreeable moment with friends. Serve at 8°C. Serve with cheese : munster, auvergne blue, stilton, aged goat's cheese, also with lightly spiced, tasty dishes, Chinese, Moroccan, Indian, and with fruit based cakes and desserts. May be aged for 2 to 3 years.
- Item #: i_351894Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The bright and fresh citrus color of the 2012 Langenberg indicates a traditional field blend of different (mostly white) grape varieties, such as Riesling and the early ripening Muscat and diverse Pinots. The complantation is cultivated on the poor and weathered granite soils of a steep, south-facing and terraced vineyard in St-Hippolyte, and all the grapes were picked in one passage. The wine starts with a lovely clear bouquet of white fruits and flowers, along with refreshing citrus flavors and a stony/mineral touch. The minerality is even more present and expressive on the palate which reveals a subtle, gently sweet and elegant fruit, as well as a lot of tension and vibrancy. The Langenberg finishes pure, minerally-piquant and salty and with a stimulating grip. “Granite gives tension and finesse, not volume,” says Jean-Marcel Deiss, adding that the Langenberg "is a strict and protestant" wine. However, it is excellent at least for the next 8 years."
- Item #: i_354025Bottle Size: EACHThis wine comes from the very poor granit wineyard of Saint Hippolyte. The terroir is made of the degradation of the grey granit of Thannenkirch, light, white, sandy, poor and extremely dry. The growing of the vine is limited, and it must invest quickly in the maturation of the fruits. This is why this wineyard is one of the earliest in Alsace.
- Item #: i_354095Bottle Size: 750mlFélix Meyer is a rising star in Alsace and has an evident instinct for his craft. Since taking over in the family domaine 1992, Félix has already left his own mark, modernizing equipment in the winery, developing export sales, and now expanding the family’s holdings in many of Alsace’s great vineyard sites, including several grand crus. It’s all about the details at Meyer-Fonné, with an emphasis on tradition and respect for terroir. The winery and family home is in the village of Katzenthal, known for its distinctive granite soils. Racy and elegant, his wines are difficult to resist young but have all the right qualities for the cellar. For aromatic and textural seductiveness, no one in Alsace can top Meyer-Fonné. Shop all wines from Meyer-Fonné.
- Item #: i_354177Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 93 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 93 POINTS - "Subtle notes of tart but aromatic apple reach the nose. The palate of this wine is dry and concentrated, displaying juicy notes of tart apple and ripe pear edged with gentle lemon. The mellow and subtle balance leads to a dry, vivid finish."
- Item #: i_353917Bottle Size: 750mlFélix Meyer’s old-vine Pinot Blanc from the slopes of Katzenthal, in Alsace, has long overdelivered in the role of the proverbial “crisp white” for which we long. It has obvious thirst-quenching properties, expressed in the form of perky acidity and a mouth-watering, almost smoky mineral note that grabs hold of the back of the palate.
- Item #: i_311104Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 95 PointsBIODYNAMIC
WINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS - "A glint of Mirabelle plum on the nose of this wine is edged with lemon and wet stone. The palate expands into a riper, juicier notion of melon and shows a salty, yeasty but also zesty texture guided by lemony freshness. The finish tapers to a linear dryness that shines with honesty and barely constrained energy."
- Item #: i_334259Bottle Size: 750MLThe robe is light lemon yellow with green reflections of good intensity. The disk is bright, limpid and transparent. The nose is marked, pleasant and of good intensity with flowers, citrus fruits (lemon zest) and spices (white pepper). The nose has a nice character. Its youth shows radiance and a welcomed sensation of freshness. The balance is elegant and slightly strong, which gives the wine character.
- Item #: i_354186Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 92 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 92 POINTS - "Flinty, smoky notes of reduction for now cloud the nose, but in an appealing way. Underneath await stirrings of peach and mandarin peel. The palate is equally complex, presenting juicy pear notes, subtle citrus and more of that alluring, earthy smoke. It's an intriguing Gewurztraminer with an off-dry, smooth but fresh finish."
- Item #: i_345654Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 93James Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "For a seven-year-old dry white, this has great vitality. The more air it gets, the more candied-citrus, pear and dried-herb aromas emerge. Although the wine's frame is on the sleek side, there's serious concentration. The finish is very long with a cascade of herbal and mineral notes. Drink or hold.
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Trimbach’s 2011 Riesling Cuvee Frederic Emile leads with a fascinating nose mingling quinine and smoky black tea with the more usual lime, white peach and crushed chalk. Silken-textured and generously juicy, with hauntingly bittersweet inner-mouth floral perfume, it opens-up in an infectiously juicy manner one seldom expects from youthful exemplars of this cuvee, thus drinking-well before one is able to purchase it! (But at least you can safely count on savoring it in its elegant prime through at least 2025.) Lentil sprout, peach kernel, and almond oil add to the diversity of flavors already intimated on the nose in a superbly sustained, bell-clear and invigorating as well as surprisingly and delightfully buoyant finish.
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Lovely spice and smoke notes lead the way in this firm, linear white, accenting poached apple, chopped almond, dried thyme and lemon pith flavors on the harmonious palate. Best from 2019 through 2029."