- Item #: i_350697Bottle Size: 750mlORGANIC
The Aligoté is the traditional white grape of Burgundy. 60 year-old vines from within the commune of Meursault. This is a great value, and we should all be thankful that the Boissons have resisted the temptation to re-plant this site with Chardonnay.
Burgundy Aligoté reveals a very aromatic nose of fresh almonds and quince. This balanced and straight wine has a lovely mineral taste on the finish.
- Item #: i_350698Bottle Size: 750mlThe wines of Domaine Boisson-Vadot have always been excellent, with a classic, soil-driven and racy style not encumbered by excessive new oak or extensive battonage, but the wines have taken a notable step up in quality now that father and son Boisson are working side by side. The Boisson family have been vignerons in Meursault for more than two centuries, and the wines today are as fine as they have ever been in the long and illustrious family history.
- Item #: i_350454Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93BURGHOUND 93 POINTS-OUTSTANDING!: "This is equally pretty and even cooler with its airy if slightly riper mix of both red and dark pinot fruit, violet, plum, exotic tea and all but invisible wood nuances. There is excellent volume and punch to the focused and quite powerful medium weight flavors that possess a caressing mouthfeel on the even more mineral-inflected finish that goes on and on. Note well however that this palate coating effort is very much built-to-age and is going to need it."
- Item #: i_351786Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 97 POINTS: "Deep ruby color. A kaleidoscopically spicy and broad-ranging nose grudgingly reveals notes of red cherry, cassis, plum, violet, Asian-style tea, sandalwood and hoisin. The velvety and mouth coating imposingly-scaled and intense mineral-driven flavors are blessed with seemingly endless reserves of dry extract that coat the palate on the highly seductive finish that delivers fantastically good length on the youthfully austere, backward and immaculately well-balanced finale. This opulent yet very serious effort is also going to require a very long snooze in a very cool cellar but it should be a remarkable Musigny when it finally emerges. I would add that I don't know if this will be potentially one of the all-time great vintages for the de Vogüé Musigny but my guess is that it will at least be in the conversation, which given the historical track record of this wine, is no small compliment."
- Item #: i_334050Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 97BURGHOUND 97 POINTS: "Deep ruby color. A kaleidoscopically spicy and broad-ranging nose grudgingly reveals notes of red cherry, cassis, plum, violet, Asian-style tea, sandalwood and hoisin. The velvety and mouth coating imposingly-scaled and intense mineral-driven flavors are blessed with seemingly endless reserves of dry extract that coat the palate on the highly seductive finish that delivers fantastically good length on the youthfully austere, backward and immaculately well-balanced finale. This opulent yet very serious effort is also going to require a very long snooze in a very cool cellar but it should be a remarkable Musigny when it finally emerges. I would add that I don't know if this will be potentially one of the all-time great vintages for the de Vogüé Musigny but my guess is that it will at least be in the conversation, which given the historical track record of this wine, is no small compliment."
- Item #: i_351791Bottle Size: 750mlThis small parcel of Bonnes Mares (0.34 hectares) is on red soils which tend to give the more muscular and deep expressions of the vineyard. This 2015 certainly does not disappoint, with its structure that frames the core juicy, dark fruit. A beautifully sweet and inviting palate, which has a lift and a hint of wildness to it which reflects Francois’ hands off approach. Refined but powerful tannins provide the support for the long term. Drink 2019 - 2035
- Item #: i_350482Bottle Size: 750mlBonnes Mares is 15.05 ha – hence almost 40% larger than Musigny – and is located in both Chambolle Musigny and Morey-Saint-Denis. The main part is in Chambolle-Musigny – north of the village and Les Fuées – and only 1.52 ha is located in the Morey appellation – just south of Clos de Tart.
This small parcel of Bonnes Mares (0.34 hectares) is on red soils which tend to give the more muscular and deep expressions of the vineyard. This 2015 certainly does not disappoint, with its structure that frames the core juicy, dark fruit. A beautifully sweet and inviting palate, which has a lift and a hint of wildness to it which reflects Francois’ hands off approach. Refined but powerful tannins provide the support for the long term. Drink 2019 - 2035
- Item #: i_333891Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 94Vinous Media: 93WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS: "A dense, well-structured style, yet with ample black cherry, blackberry, violet and iron flavors for balance. This red unfolds nicely, leaving a complex finish that introduces an accent of bittersweet chocolate. Excellent length."
BURGHOUND 93 POINTS "OUTSTANDING": "This is also quite ripe yet retains a lovely freshness to the cassis, black cherry, lavender and warm earth scents. There is excellent power and volume to the concentrated, intense and mouth coating big-bodied flavors that culminate in an impressively long and balanced finish. This possesses both good power and superb length and is absolutely one to consider."
- Item #: i_345019Bottle Size: 750MLBurghound: 90-92Vinous Media: 91VINOUS MEDIA 91 POINTS: "(these 2015s were bottled in September of this year): Healthy ruby-red. Quite sun-drenched on first sniff, with raspberry and spice aromas coming across as more expressive than the '16. Sappy, spicy, highly concentrated flavors of red and purple fruits and flowers are already surprisingly supple, with an element of minerality contributing to the impression of vivacity. The plush, building tannins saturate the entire mouth. Seriously concentrated and alive. Yves Confuron told me that these wines are pumped only once, when they are assembled in tank prior to bottling." -- Stephen Tanzer
- Item #: i_345020Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 94Burghound: 90-93BURGHOUND 94 POINTS "OUTSTANDING": "A discreet application of wood frames aromas that, much like the Epenots, are super-ripe yet manage to maintain reasonably good freshness to the poached plum and violet-scented nose. This too is nothing short of massively concentrated, ripe and sumptuously opulent with a subtle minerality that helps to add lift to the borderline thick and ever-so-slightly warm finish. This muscular effort is also most impressive in its fashion though it's absolutely one to buy and then forget you own it. *Outstanding*"
VINOUS 94 POINTS: "Good ruby-red. A distinctly different expression of Pommard from the Grand Clos des Epenots, with the nose dominated by darkest berries, minerals and chocolate. Densely packed and highly concentrated but less open to inspection than the Grand Clos des Epenots; very closed in on itself but already suggests outstanding complexity. Very broad, firm tannins saturate the entire palate and the very long, rising finish leaves the tongue glistening. Classic white-soil Rugiens: already complex on the nose but in need of cellaring to gain in pliancy and expand."
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS: "There’s plenty of black cherry, black currant and violet aromas and flavors in this red, along with a backbone of assertive, dusty tannins. All the elements are in the correct proportion, but just need time to integrate. The long aftertaste also indicates potential"
- Item #: i_334227Bottle Size: 750MLBURGHOUND 91 - 94 POINTS - "This too flirts with brett though in this case it is so subtle that I almost hesitate to mention it as it's very much a background element on the otherwise pungently earthy purple fruit and floral scents. The fresh, energetic and highly detailed middle weight plus flavors possess excellent concentration and minerality before concluding in a linear, intense and youthfully austere finish. Given that this is not in bottle it's hard to know what may be done and thus my range offers the benefit of the doubt."
VINOUS 91 - 93 POINTS - "(from old vines on white, rocky soil above Les Rugiens; vinified with 15% whole clusters): Bright medium red. Red berries and smoky minerality on the nose. Suave, seamless and intense, conveying a touch of medicinal austerity that brings freshness for the year. Finishes with firm, rising tannins and excellent lingering flavor intensity. Rossignol believes the wine's slightly roasted quality is a function of its minerality rather than from oak. And he noted that even if the pH here went as high as 3.8, he would not adjust the wine's acidity due to its chalky, saline character and inherent energy."
- Item #: i_333340Bottle Size: 750MLBURGHOUND 92-95 POINTS: "Once again there is just enough reduction present to mask the underlying fruit but not the earth and underbrush elements; moreover it is sufficiently light that I doubt that it will persist for very long. Otherwise there is a slightly finer mouth feel to the sleek, intense and muscular mineral-driven flavors that explode on the sappy, rich and balanced finale that displays strikingly good length. However, note well that like the Charmes, this is definitely not constructed for early drinking so be prepared to have at least some patience."
- Item #: i_333343Bottle Size: 750MLBURGHOUND 95-97 POINTS "DON'T MISS": "A discreet application of wood does not reduce the considerable appeal of the ripe, pure and airy nose with its broad mélange of wild red berry fruit liqueur, earth, spice, violets and a hint of animale. The broad-shouldered flavors possess superb mid-palate concentration that enrobes the buried but still quite firm tannins while culminating in a beautifully balanced, muscular and explosively long finish. This is also very clearly built to age yet like the Clos St. Denis, there is so much sap that this could be drunk now with pleasure. A 'wow' wine."
- Item #: i_333537Bottle Size: 750MLBURGHOUND 91-94 POINTS: "A slightly more elegant if still deeply pitched nose features aromas of red and dark raspberry, earth, floral nuances and an interesting hint of smoked meat. Consistent with the elegance of the nose the medium-bodied flavors are a bit finer as well though they certainly don't lack for power, punch and concentration, indeed this is even more firstly structured and the tannic spine makes it indisputably clear that this is going to be a long-distance runner.'
- Item #: i_333349Bottle Size: 750MLDecanter: 95DECANTER 95 POINTS - "A blend of four parcels worked as a joint venture since 2009. Dark fruits on the nose with Pinot lift and great intensity and purity. Very ripe with no trace of jamminess, while firm tannins give grip and structure. Very assertive now but has great energy and drive. A wine of great splendour and potential."
- Item #: i_350358Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97-99Vinous Media: 97-99Decanter: 97WINE ADVOCATE 97-99 POINTS - "The 2015 Chambertin Grand Cru took a while to open in the glass, as it is prone towards. It has a very elegant bouquet once again, the fruit an equal mixture of red and black, a touch of cold flint in the background accompanied by blood orange and satsuma that emerge with time. The palate is blessed with beguiling symmetry and power, counterpoised by the killer line of acidity, leading to a mineral-rich finish that goes on forever. This is another outstanding Chambertin from Rousseau that wine lovers will doubtlessly be fighting over for years to come. And you know what? I wouldn't blame them."
VINOUS 97-99 POINTS - "Dark, bright red with ruby highlights. Crushed black cherry, raspberry and spice aromas are lifted by a pungent floral topnote--"very ripe for this wine," notes Rousseau. At once utterly young and almost exotic, conveying extraordinary intensity and layered texture to its slightly high-toned flavors of raspberry, cherry, pomegranate, licorice and spices. An element of menthol reserve contributes to the wine's impression of brooding energy. Finishes with noble, seamless tannins and slowly mounting, explosive palate-staining length. Almost painful and almost perfect.(ST) Inner quote mark (1/2017)
BURGHOUND 98 POINTS - "Here too there is just enough oak to mention but once again it’s not really enough to impair the purity of the distinctly cool and ultra-spicy red currant, underbrush, sandalwood, lilac and plenty of earth aromas. The rich, intense and overtly muscular big-bodied flavors possess a similar level of minerality that is borderline pungent and it informs the explosively long, firm and very serious finish. This notably powerful, but not really austere effort, displays magnificent potential and if it develops its usual degree of complexity over time it should merit the upper end of my projected range. But as structured and firm as it is, I suspect that this will drink well after only 6 to 8 years of age thanks to the incredible abundance of dry extract."
JOHN GILMAN 98 POINTS - "The 2015 Rousseau Chambertin is an utterly profound bottle in the making. The bouquet is deep, pure and sappy, soaring from the glass in a blaze of raspberries, red plums, red and black cherries, cocoa, a gorgeous base of soil, violets and cedary wood. On the palate the wine is pure, full-bodied and sappy at the core, with seamless, haunting beauty, suave tannins, bright acids and glorious complexity on the very, very long, very refined and vibrant finish. This will deserve a full fifteen years of bottle age to really start to drink with its secondary layers on full display, but unless it closes down after bottling, it is going to be so tempting to open earlier that a great many bottles may well fall to infanticide!"
DECANTER 97 POINTS - "A dense oaky nose, powerful and forthright with cherries and dark fruits emerging. The density is present on the palate too, but there is ample acidity to lift it. The tannins are extremely fine, the silkiness of the texture overriding the structure at present. The finish is elegant, poised, and very long. Impeccably balanced and will age very well."
- Item #: i_345116Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 93Burghound: 93-96Decanter: 97DECANTER 97 POINTS: "Cote Bouguerots is a distinct, late-ripening, sector within Bougros Grand Cru on even steeper slopes (45 degrees in parts) which are a shallow mix of clay and gravel. This plot was identified by Didier Seguier and is a personal favourite of his. Acidity is more pronounced here than in the warmer, more generous Bougros. Flinty, austere yet fine, there is an electric intensity which bodes well for long-term ageing. Still very youthful, this has great length and class on the finish. Oak treatment is similar to Bougros - subtle and adding to texture rather than flavour."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS: "The 2015 Chablis Grand Cru Bougros Cote de Bouguerots was the standout wine when I tasted the range of William Fevre from barrel. Now in bottle, the nose has closed down, but there remains a brooding intensity here and superb mineralité. The palate is very well balanced with a touch of orange zest and quince on the entry. There is a keen line of acidity here and quite a powerful finish that lingers long in the mouth. Give this three or four years in bottle and it should offer another ten years of drinking pleasure."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS: "Offers apple, lemon and stone flavors, backed by a firm structure. Lean and taut, yet balanced, persisting through the long finish. Best from 2019 through 2025."
BURGHOUND 93 POINTS: "A reserved but ripe nose features white fruit and floral notes that are set off by deft touches of classic Chablis character and wood. There is both good richness and power to the concentrated, vibrant and mineral-driven medium plus weight flavors that also possess ample amounts of dry extract that confer a textured feel to the impressively intense and mouth coating finish. This too is really quite good."
- Item #: i_333991Bottle Size: 750MLThe Domaine Hubert Lignier has long had a reputation for its fine wines known for their concentration, depth and structure. The Ligniers follow the principles of “lutte raisonnée” (sensible combat) in their viticulture: for example, only organic compost is used when necessary and the vineyard is tilled so that no herbicides are used. raditional vinification practices are the core of their work: grapes are destemmed and fermentation takes place in open-top cement tanks that allow manual pigéage. Only natural yeasts are used. This is pitch-perfect Gevrey-Chambertin: meaty and succulent, with classic Lignier poise and a long, mineral-drenched, driving finish.
- Item #: i_350592Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94-96Burghound: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94 - 96 POINTS - "The 2015 La Grande Rue Grand Cru, from the 1.65-hectare monopole, has a very fine bouquet, quite open and expressive with red cherry, bergamot, early grey and light earthy scents that unfold in the glass. The palate is medium-bodied with fine definition. There is superb tension on the entry and conspicuous salinity here. It is not a powerful La Grande Rue but in keeping with Nicole Lamarche's vision, pursues elegance and style. Yet the persistence is very long, so much so that I have written this entire tasting note and I can still feel my mouth tingling! This is superb."
BURGHOUND 94 POINTS - "This perfumed beauty displays fireworks in a glass with its kaleidoscopic nose of super spicy, floral and cool red and dark berry nose. The middle weight flavors are less concentrated and powerful than those of the Grands Ech but markedly finer with a caressing and sophisticated mouthfeel that carries over to the rich finish that once again tightens up noticeably on the impeccably well-balanced and strikingly persistent finish. While at least some patience will also be required this classy effort should be approachable sooner than the Grands Ech. 2030+"
- Item #: i_351045Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 96WINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS - "A big, rich red, this evokes bilberry, black cherry, spice and mineral aromas and flavors. A touch exotic, with a good dose of new oak that will need to be resolved. Starts out silky, until the solid structure takes over. Terrific length. Best from 2024 through 2047."
BURGHOUND 91 - 94 POINTS - "Reduction. The medium-bodied flavors possess good volume and punch along with a lovely bead of minerality while concluding in a textured, mouth coating and relatively powerful finish. This is perhaps not quite as refined as it usually is but that is a very minor nit in what is otherwise a fine Ech."