- Item #: i_351383Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 94JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "Slightly lighter on its feet, with more red fruits, cassis, garrigue, spice, and subtle minerality, the 2016 Vacqueyras Chateau Mazane stays incredibly light and graceful on the palate and has incredible class. Nuanced, elegant and lightly textured, yet brilliantly concentrated and full-bodied, it's another undeniably delicious, seriously good wine from this estate. The blend is 60% Syrah, 30% Syrah and the rest Mourvèdre and it has a decade of terrific drinking ahead of it."
- Item #: i_345742Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 95-96JAMES SUCKLING 95-96 POINTS - "Dark, spicy and stony aromas with a smoky and intense mineral edge, some garrigue herbs, blackberries and ripe plum fruits. A sense of deep-set tension in a succulent array of black-fruit flavors with a long driving thread of tannins."
- Item #: i_351780Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Located at the foot of the village of Rasteau between the towns of Orange and Vaison-la-Romaine, Domaine Beau Mistral is comprised of 28 hectares (70 acres) covering several appellations from the southern Rhône Valley and is rightly situated next to such famous crus from the region such as Châteauneuf du Pape and Gigondas.
After being passed through destemming machine, the grapes are added to tanks where the temperature is closely monitored throughout the fermentation, which lasts several weeks. Pumping-over and some gentle punching-down take place in order to preserve the wine’s fruit and suppleness.
Ageing: 100% in tank.
Food pairing: This wine pairs exceptionally well with red meats and dishes such as roasted veal with morel mushrooms, herb-crusted ribs and cheeses.
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "With its complex aromas of spice and red fruit, the 2016 Cairanne Les Garrigues is a knockout. Plus, it's medium to full-bodied, plump and succulent, with supple tannins and terrific freshness. It never seems heavy or alcoholic. Drink now to 2025."
- Item #: i_351455Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 97Tasting through the stunning line-up from Bosquet de Papes re-affirmed the brilliance of this estate and reinforced our belief in the strength of the 2016 vintage in Chateauneuf du Pape. The wines from top to bottom are stunning and appear to be the best this great estate has made to date. Shockingly, the wines continue to offer an amazing quality to price ratio. Where else in the world can you find such critically acclaimed wines at such compelling prices?
Consider the following quotes from critics who review Rhone wines for a living:
"The wines here seem to be going from strength to strength" - Wine Advocate
"Today this estate unquestionably produces some of the top wines in the appellation" - Jeb Dunnuck
'This is a property to buy from before pricing jumps" - Wine Advocate
Nicolas Boiron is the gregarious, larger than life personality who has led this family owned domaine to its greatest heights. Each of these wines has its own personality, but the common thread is they all display delicious, full-bodied fruit flavors enveloped in silky smooth tannins.
JEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "I was questioning if the top cuvées were worth the money after tasting the traditional cuvée from winemaker Nicolas Boiron, then I tasted his 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape A La Gloire de Mon Grand-Père and decided that, yes indeed, the special cuvées in 2016 can certainly be worth the uptick in price. Based almost exclusively on Grenache (there’s a splash of Cinsault and Clairette) sourced from the La Gardiole lieu-dit and aged mostly in demi-muids, this heavenly beauty offers awesome notes of garrigue, toasted spices, flowers, licorice and loads of sweet Grenache fruit. Voluptuous, flamboyant, and sexy, yet also elegant and seamless, with a weightless texture, this is Grenache at its finest and is going to knock your socks off over the coming 10-15 years."
WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "There are 10,000 bottles of the stunning 2016 Châteauneuf du Pape A la Gloire de Mon Grand-Père, which is good news for lovers of 100% Grenache. Drawn from a single parcel in the lieu-dit of Gardiole (mostly sandy soils), half of the fruit was destemmed. It's full-bodied and concentrated but silky and refined, with scintillating purity of cherry and raspberry fruit, backed by crisp acids and enlivening hints of orange zest on the long, reverberating finish. It's a terrific value that should drink well for more than a decade."
- Item #: i_353278Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96-98Jeb Dunnuck: 97WINE ADVOCATE 96-98 POINTS - "A prodigious effort, the 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape Les Hautes Brusquieres Cuvee Speciale was yet to be bottled during my June visit. It offers up sweet floral aromas, hints of thyme and rosemary and bold cherry fruit. Full-bodied and creamy-velvety in texture, it's a hugely seductive mouthful of wine that I found difficult to spit. If it emerges from the bottling process looking like this, buyers will have huge smiles on their faces."
JEB DUNNUCK 95-97 POINTS - "Blackberries, crushed rocks, peppery herbs, and graphite notes all emerge from the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Hautes Brusquières, the most concentrated, rich, and opulent in the lineup. It has brilliant purity of fruit, ripe, polished tannins, and a great, great finish, all making for a brilliant 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape that will keep for 15+ years."
- Item #: i_353902Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96-98Jeb Dunnuck: 97-99JEB DUNNUCK 97-99 POINTS - "Brought up in new demi-muids, the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Vieilles Vignes is a blend of 90% Grenache and 10% Mourvèdre (the Mourvèdre is from the Cristia lieu-dit). Unquestionably the greatest vintage of this cuvée ever made, this crazy good 2016 knocks it out of the park with its huge nose of currants, seaweed, incense, garrigue, and chocolate. Just a massive, deep, powerful wine, with sweet tannin and remarkable purity, it’s going to flirt with perfection and keep for 20-25 years. Bravo to the Maret family as well as consultant Philippe Cambie!"
WINE ADVOCATE 96-98 POINTS - "Turning to the darker side of the fruit spectrum, the 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee Vieilles Vignes veers toward black cherries, cola and spice. It's full-bodied, rich and velvety, but it takes a different tack than the more open and charming Les Hautes Brusquières bottling. It should drink well for close to two decades. They're the twins you might've fantasized about, one bright and bubbly, the other brooding and mysterious. And you can have both."
- Item #: i_321295Bottle Size: 750MLJeb Dunnuck: 96JEB DUNNUCK 94-96 POINTS - "Also not yet bottled the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée des Felix offers a similar level of concentration, yet is more tight, structured, and elegant. Currants, scorched earth, leather, and ground pepper notes give way to a full-bodied, powerful, concentrated 2016 that's going to benefit from short-term cellaring yet cruise for two decades. This cuvée is 65% Grenache, 25% Mourvèdre, and the rest a mix of varieties, all aged in very old barrels."
- Item #: i_351680Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The estate’s top wine is the 2016 Lirac Secret de la Grange, a 90-10 blend of Grenache and Syrah that never sees oak. This full-bodied blend is fabulously concentrated and lush, with ripe fruit flavors of raspberries and stone fruits, an intriguing hint of almond paste and a rich, long finish tinged with licorice. It should drink well for up to a decade."
- Item #: i_352118Bottle Size: 750mlVINOUS 94 POINTS - "Saturated ruby. Mineral- and spice-accented aromas of fresh dark berries, licorice and candied violet show excellent delineation, clarity and lift. At once rich and energetic in the mouth, offering juicy black raspberry, cherry and spicecake flavors that steadily deepen on the back half. Turns sweeter on the persistent, penetrating finish, which features well-knit tannins and lingering floral and exotic spice notes. This is quite graceful, and while it will no doubt reward patience, it's awfully easy to drink now. Drinking window: 2024 - 2034."
- Item #: i_351752Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 93WINE ENTHUSIAST 93 POINTS - "While this dry wine's crisp apple, white grapefruit and pear notes are understated on the nose and palate, its opulent, creamy mouthfeel is the showcase. Full bodied and honeyed yet not heavy, it shows hints of cashew, earth and saline complexities in development. Although drinking elegantly now, it should be even better from 2026."
- Item #: i_352536Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Advocate: 97Wine Spectator: 97Vinous Media: 97Decanter: 98Jeb Dunnuck: 100JEB DUNNUCK 100 POINTS: "Another perfect wine from this brilliant estate is the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape, which matches the otherworldly 2007. A classic blend of 60% Grenache, 30% Mourvèdre and 10% Syrah brought up all in old foudre, this beauty's deep purple color is followed by a mammoth bouquet of kirsch liqueur, black currants, blueberries, Asian spices, and garrigue. Full-bodied, concentrated, and powerful, it nevertheless is as graceful as a ballerina on the palate and has ultra-fine tannins, a silky, seamless texture, and a finish that just won't quit. Hats off to vigneron Paul-Vincent Avril!"
ROBERT PARKER 97 POINTS: "The 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape is full-bodied but balanced, with plenty of richness and concentration but also a certain paradoxical lightness. It offers complex garrigue and anise notes, a blend of cherry and raspberry fruit, a silky texture and a long finish that shows no sign of the wine's 15.8% alcohol. For technocrats, the wine's pH is 3.7, which is sufficient acidity to maintain a fine sense of balance. This lovely wine should drink well for at least two decades. Together with the 2015 and the 2017, it will be a compelling trio of wines to follow over the years."
DECANTER 98 POINTS: "Yields are always low at Clos des Papes, but this was Vincent Avril's biggest harvest since 2007, with yields of 25hl/ha. A tasting of various different blends highlighted the part played by each main variety, but the final blend shows a young wine that is already aromatically harmonious, bright and detailed. It's fuller-bodied than an average vintage, deep yet fresh. It has a powerful tannic and acidic framework this year, but the wine is very well balanced and very long, with a sublime freshness. An effortlessly brilliant Clos des Papes."
- Item #: i_311270Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92James Suckling: 94Decanter: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 92JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS -"This has a very plush, luscious and generously fleshy feel. Cherry compote, raspberries, blackberries and plums. Tarry elements, too. Smooth, velvety, pure and even. Succulence, elegance and clarity. Such value here. Drink or hold."
ROBERT PARKER 92+ POINTS - "The 2016 Cotes du Rhone Coudoulet de Beaucastel was bottled just two weeks before my visit, hence the plus sign attached to its rating. Planted just outside the boundaries of the Châteauneuf-du-Pape appellation, the vines here average 80 years old. Mouthwatering aromas of red fruit and spice lead the way, backed by a full-bodied wine that's creamy and lush but also silky and vibrant. As always, it's one of the best Côtes du Rhône wines from a given vintage... Certainly, the wines are breathtaking at the upper levels, but the Perrin family continues to put effort into the entry-level wines as well, from the Coudelet de Beaucastel, which is always one of the top Côtes du Rhône wines, to the other wines reviewed under the Famille Perrin heading. 92+ points."
- Item #: i_322198Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94-96ROBERT PARKER 91-93 POINTS: "Sourced from 60-year-old vines and aged in 15% to 20% new oak, the 2016 Saint Joseph l'Olivaie offers a concentrated mouthful of black olive and cherry fruit, a velvety texture and a long, cool finish. This medium to full-bodied wine should drink well on release and for up to decade. Young Jerôme Coursodon now farms 16 hectares in Saint Joseph, centered around Mauves, just outside Tournon. He considers the 2016s more approachable than the dense 2015s."
JEB DUNNUCK 91-93 POINTS: "Leading off the 2016s from barrel, the 2016 Saint Joseph L'Olivaie comes from the lieu-dit of the same name and vines averaging 60 years in age. It’s a ripe, concentrated beauty that's loaded with notions of black raspberries, scorched earth, spice and pepper. With medium to full-bodied richness, ripe, present tannin and a great finish, it's going to be a great value. I continue to love the wines from the young Jerome Coursodon, who pulls from roughly 16 hectares of vines all in the southern part of Saint Joseph, mostly just outside the village of Mauves. The 2015s are monster, blockbuster styled efforts that I suspect won’t appeal to the traditionalists out there, but are singular wines. The 2016s are more elegant and finesse-driven, yet still pack in more sweet fruit than just about everyone else out there."
- Item #: i_351140Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "On the darker side of the ledger, with currant and blackberry fruit laced with mesquite, bay leaf, iron and tobacco notes. A light smoldering charcoal hint through the finish melds with the fruit and other components. Best from 2020 through 2038. 83 cases made, 6 cases imported."
Francois Villard La Brocarde comes from vines planted on the Cote Blonde with up to 13% Viognier in the blend. The wine takes its name from the La Brocarde lieu-dit. The berries are whole cluster fermented and up to 30% of the grapes are destemmed. The wine is aged in between 80% new, French oak barrels to 100% new, oak, depending the character of the vintage. The wine spends close to 18 months in barrel before bottling. The production is quite small as only 100 cases are produced in an average year.
- Item #: i_351595Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "A bright, fresh, mineral-driven style, with mouthwatering white pepper and rose petal notes gilding a core of damson plum and blood orange flavors. The long, sleek finish is mouthwatering. Drink now through 2030."
- Item #: i_351917Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 95JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "Moving to the Châteauneuf-du-Pape from bottle, the 2016 vintage was described as having the power of 2010 and similar to yet fresher than 2007. The 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape offers a great bouquet of black raspberries, tapenade, crushed violets, and spring flowers, and shares lots of similarities to the Chaupin cuvée (and it’s less expensive!). Full-bodied, incredibly elegant and seamless, it might be the finest traditional cuvée ever produced from this estate."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape exhibits more dark fruit than I would've expected, with black cherries, black olives and tar all mingling on the nose. In the mouth, the blend of 70% Grenache, 15% Mourvèdre, 10% Syrah and 5% Cinsault is full-bodied, rich and velvety, with a lush, lingering finish. Easy to drink now, it should age for at least a decade just on its sheer concentration and ripeness. Although I showed up considerably late for my appointment with the brother-sister team of Christophe and Isabelle Sabon, Christophe wore his customary, irrepressible smile. The French soccer team was ahead in their World Cup match, and he was showing off the domaine's stellar 2016s. "It's my father's 50th harvest," he said. "And he thinks it's the best. It's incredible because you have power, finesse and acidity."
- Item #: i_351463Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 98JEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS - "Similarly colored to the classic cuvée, the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Quet is 80% Grenache and 20% Mourvèdre. It offers a huge, rich, powerful style that never goes over the top and stays balanced and graceful. Currants, toasted spices, caramelized beef, and exotic notes all flow to a massively textured, powerhouse of a wine that has a stacked mid-palate, a bombastic personality, and a great finish. It needs two to three years of bottle age but is an incredible, heady, powerful wine."
- Item #: i_351353Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 96-98VINOUS 96-98 POINTS - "Dark purple. A highly expressive, mineral-accented bouquet evokes fresh blackberry and blueberry, candied flowers, incense and exotic spices. Sweet, palate-staining black and blue fruit liqueur and violet pastille flavors are complicated by suggestions of cracked pepper and bitter chocolate; a spicecake nuance gains strength with aeration. Steadily building tannins add shape and grip to the extremely long, incisive finish, which emphatically repeats the floral and mineral notes. I wouldn't be surprised to see this wine turn out as well as the amazing 2015 version."
JEB DUNNUCK 95-97 POINTS - "The flagship 2016 Hermitage La Chapelle is slightly more focused and concentrated, yet is still one sexy red that shines in the vintage. Inky colored, with loads of toasted spices, smoked meats and graphite characteristics, it has full-bodied richness, a terrific core of ripe Syrah fruit, fine tannin, and a great finish. Give it 2-4 years of bottle age and enjoy over the following two decades."
WINE ADVOCATE 95-97 POINTS - "Winemaker Jacques Devernois likens the 2016 Hermitage La Chapelle to a woman’s red dress, calling it charming and flashy. It looks like it will appeal young, as this prospective sample had ample concentration but was also supple in feel. Hints of smoke, crushed stone and pencil shavings frame cassis fruit in this full-bodied and creamy-textured wine. It finishes long, with hints of vanilla and great freshness. (JC)
- Item #: i_351565Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Decanter: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 97JEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "The flagship is the Grenache-dominated 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Imperiale, which comes from vines planted in 1902 and was destemmed and aged in concrete tanks. Awesome notes of blackberries, blueberries, crushed rocks, violets, and graphite all emerge from this tight, full-bodied, concentrated and backward Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Possessing incredible purity of fruit, a concentrated yet fresh, structured profile, and a huge finish, it just needs time to shine. 97+"
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "Almost entirely Grenache, from parcels planted in 1901 and 1902, the 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee Imperiale is a stunner. Scents of roses, black tea and raspberries set the scene, while the palate is full-bodied but silky and nearly weightless, delivering an intricate, detailed interplay of red fruit, dried spices and orange zest. Despite what must be 15% alcohol or more, it shows absolutely no sign of heat."
DECANTER 95 POINTS - "This has a distinct old-vine vinosity on the nose. Very full-bodied, searching and intense on the palate, shot through with ample, very ripe suede-like tannins. Powerful, regal stuff, albeit with slightly raised alcohol, but the overall effect is in balance, with a long finish. Restrained power."
- Item #: i_352156Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Wine Spectator: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 93WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "This is very solidly built, nearly bristling with briary energy along the edges while the core of steeped plum, cherry and currant fruit cruises through. Mouthwatering savory, tobacco and olive notes score the finish, all set against a lovely floral accent in the background."
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "There are 20,000 bottles of Rostaing's 2016 Cote Rotie Ampodium, so it is the cuvée most consumers are likely to encounter. It's a fine example of the appellation, offering briary notes of ripe red fruit with spice and herb shadings. It's medium-bodied, silky and fine, with attractive notes of licorice and tea on the finish that give this entry-level wine more complexity than most."