- Item #: i_350399Bottle Size: 750ml#51 WINE ENTHUSIAST TOP 100 of 2018
WINE ENTHUSIAST 93 POINTS - "A single vineyard offering from selected parcels in the La Moussiere vineyard. Certified biodynamic. 7-8 months on fine lees after fermentation, prior to bottling. This wine comes from Mellot's home domaine of La Moussière, It is young and intense, with a mix of spice, concentrated citrus and crisp acidity. The depth of flavor in this wine is extraordinary and merits aging. Drink from 2020."
- Item #: i_351368Bottle Size: 750mlCertified Organic (Ecocert)
This cuvee is called Cote 50 deriving from a Roman term meaning 50 metres above the river) From vines averaging 30 to 35 years old, on mostly sandy slopes situated closer to the town of Bourgueil. Made from yields around 30hl/ha the alcoholic fermentation is done in open tanks with gentle plunging. Aged in large specially designed large wooden tanks for 12 months, this wine is notable for its freshness and perfume and has very fine tannins well covered with admirable flesh coming from fully ripe fruit.
- Item #: i_352793Bottle Size: 750mlThe vineyards that make up this charming and utterly delicious wine come from Saumur-Champigny’s most southern hill, Saint-Cyr-en-Bourg. Les Terres Rouges is composed of numerous small plots blended into one larger south-facing vineyard area, just across from the now famous hill, Brézé. The southern aspect gives the wine plenty of needed sunshine in a region that has a long, drawn out growing season that can bring several rain storms in early fall, just about the time they are getting ready to harvest. This privileged location makes for consistent ripening of the wine’s plush black and red fruits.
- Item #: i_352791Bottle Size: 750mlThere are a lot of nice guys in the world, but few could be described as more genuinely nice than Brendan Stater-West. One might ask how a young American guy from Oregon with no winemaking history ends up in Saumur as the assistant vigneron to Romain Guiberteau, one of the most celebrated vignerons in the Loire Valley. It started with a job in a Parisian wine store where Brendan first tasted a bottle of Guiberteau. Fortune brought the young man a wonderful French wife, and they moved to Saumur where he asked Romain for a job. Romain agreed, a move that proved to be beneficial for both.
CRISP, DRY, HIGH ACID, MINERAL CHENIN BLANC
- Item #: i_352792Bottle Size: 750mlThis is a new venture by an American, Brendan Stater West, who travelled to France to teach English, became hooked on wine, worked for one of the Loire's great winemakers (Domaine Guiberteau), before being offered a vineyard from which to make the sort of wine he likes: "elegant, pure, vertical, with salinity from the limestone.
The Saumur Rouge comes from a young south-west vineyard of Cabernet Franc in Brézé, in the lieu-dit La Ripaille. The soil profile is predominately sandy-clay of 1.5m in depth. Harvest is sorted in the vineyard then destemmed 100% upon arrival at Brendan’s facility. Maceration is based on an infusion style, no extraction (no pump-overs, pigeage, delestage) and lasts 6 days in order to preserve delicate and purity in texture. Aging is also in stainless steel for 6 months. 2018 is the first vintage bottled.
- Item #: i_334246Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Substantial, with firm tannins providing support for black currant, espresso and tobacco notes. This is fueled by lively acidity that imparts a sense of freshness. Spice details mark the lingering finish. Try with food now, but should be better in a few years."
- Item #: i_351882Bottle Size: 750mlCERTIFIED ORGANIC
The Bretons first introduced biodynamic practices into their viticulture in 1994, just after receiving their organic certification in 1991. Recently, they started the three-year process of seeking biodynamic certification. In fact, they have become international icons for the natural wine movement in an area where the climate and soil can make organic viticulture difficult. Catherine and Pierre are two of the hardest working people we know of in the wine businesses. This explains why their wines, despite the fact that they are totally natural and unadulterated, are so incredibly consistent; consistently delicious. Their achievements and contributions to the natural and organic wine movement globally cannot be underestimated. Kermit Lynch
- Item #: i_374376Bottle Size: 750MLThe Champalous are masters of Loire Chenin Blanc, producing Vouvray in all styles; this still, dry rendition, aged in stainless steel, represents their flagship cuvee. Gentle and refreshing on the palate, it boasts a delightful balance of stony minerality with luscious, almost honeyed fruit and flowery notes, making for a great aperitif or easy pairing with all sorts of dishes.
- Item #: i_322154Bottle Size: 750MLWINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "A bramble- and bay leaf—edged version, with a mix of dark cherry and red currant fruit forming the core. Light singed tobacco and a fresh chalk threads line the finish. Long and refined, showing a lovely tug of earth at the end. Drink now through 2026."
Les Varennes du Grand Clos is a slope of siliceous clay and limestone that has proven its ability to yield complex Chinons that stand the test of time-old bottles from decades past are still in their prime. Farming is organic, and the wine ages for over a year in barrel before bottling. The trademark of Les Varennes is its finesse: while structure is certainly not lacking, there is a harmony to fruit, acid, and tannins that allows us to pull the cork today. Its earthy flavors pair perfectly with rustic French cuisine; try a beef stew or wild mushrooms for a guaranteed match.
- Item #: i_322561Bottle Size: 750MLFrom a ripe vintage comes this rich Chenin Blanc redolent of lanolin, pollen, ripe pear and quince over a base of wet stones. The richness in the mouth is cut but the rapier like acidity and the fruit is contrasted nicely by the crisp mineral notes.
- Item #: i_344231Bottle Size: 750MLBrézé is a unique site due to its relatively high elevation and eminently nuanced geological profile. The high composition of tuffeau, a porous, chalky limestone also used in the construction of much of the Loire’s Renaissance architecture, results in finely mineral Chenin Blanc. Clay and sand also lend themselves to the diversity of the terroirs, giving body to the reds and richness to the whites. With five historic and clearly delimited Clos to work with, the Lambert duo has the incredible opportunity to truly understand and reveal the distinctions within this extraordinary appellation.
- Item #: i_345148Bottle Size: 750MLLauded by King Réné Anjou in the 15th century classical literature, the Château de Brézé wines were regarded with such esteem that the royals exchanged them annually with the great Sauternes of Château d’Yquem. The vineyards belonging to the Château de Brézé entered a Renaissance of their own in 2009 when Count de Colbert conferred upon Yves and Arnaud Lambert management of the viticultural estate. The father and son team have immediately converted the entire 25 hectares to organic methods, with official certification as of the 2012 vintage.
Loire Cabernet Franc from a historic property which is mentioned for the first time in the year 1063, in records from Saint Florent's Abbatial. Delicious flavors of tobacco, raspberry, cassis, violet, and pepper.
- Item #: i_333451Bottle Size: 750MLThe incremental changes made in both the winery and vineyards over the years and more recently by Benjamin Dagueneau have come together with a vintage that could best express what he was trying to say. Aromatic ripeness without high alcohol. Massive mineral concentration that will yield over time and marry perfectly with the high-toned fruit components and barrel and bottle complexity that seem in perfect harmony. The most young and backward of the bunch (as usual), this wine has massive acidity that provides the perfect balance to the mineral profile that is so prevalent in the mouth. No shortage of fruit, but for the time being, this wine is all about structure and potential. Sit back and marvel at what the years have in store for this wine, and make sure you save some.
- Item #: i_352282Bottle Size: 750mlThe legendary Didier Dagueneau changed the perception of Pouilly Fume. After his death in a plane crash in 2008, his son Louis Benjamin took the reins, and his years of working with his father led to a seamless transition. The Silex is among the greatest expression of Sauvignon Blanc in the world. The wine undergoes whole cluster fermentation, with varieties of native yeasts. Fermentation occurs in small stainless steel and oak barrels. After initial racking, the wine stays on the lees until bottling. There is no malolactic fermentation.
- Item #: i_311491Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90100% Sauvignon Blanc
A racy, aggressive Sauvignon nose of chalk and flint; round in the mouth with herbal notes and very fresh.
- Item #: i_352584Bottle Size: 750mlThe Cuvée Alouettes comes from sandier soils, which tend to yield softer wines with very supple tannins—perfect for drinking young. It saw fermentation and aging in stainless steel to preserve maximum aromas of fresh fruit, and the fruits are not lacking: wild berries jump out of the glass invitingly, while a peppery note adds an earthy twist.
- Item #: i_352136Bottle Size: 750mlCERTIFIED ORGANIC
Winemaker Notes - "Crisp apple, blossom honey, and a subtle note of grapefruit zest on the nose. Juicy and penetrating on the palate, offering lively orange zest and orchard fruit flavors along with hints of anise and honeysuckle. Very pure and focused."
- Item #: i_351796Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Piercing and pure, with pear, green apple and green almond notes carried by a sleek, minerally edge. Shows juiciness along the edges and flashes of honeysuckle and bitter almond in the background. Drink now through 2033."
- Item #: i_350578Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Green plum and verbena notes lead the way for now, with a flash of quinine on the finish. This is juicy, but still a bit compact overall, with the core of ample pear, quince and ginger flavors in reserve. Just wait for everything to knit together and stretch out, as the purity and length are there. Best from 2018 through 2028."
- Item #: i_350741Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93JOHN GILMAN 95 POINTS - "The 2017 Clos du Bourg Demi-Sec is a stunning wine in the making. The bouquet offers up a superb constellation of apple, pineapple, quince, very complex minerality, honeycomb, orange blossoms and lanolin. On the palate the wine is pure, nascently complex and full-bodied, with superb depth at the core, bright, seamless acids, laser-like focus and outstanding grip and balance on the long, vibrant and stunning finish. This too will be approachable for a few years and then shut down for an extended period of hibernation, but unlike the Le Haut Lieu Demi-Sec, where early sampling would be perfectly understandable, to waste bottles of the 2017 Clos du Bourg Demi-Sec drinking it in its early window of accessibility would border on a crime! This is a legend in the making."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "This glistens, with glazed pear, warm persimmon, green plum and quince flavors, all carried by elegant white ginger and verbena notes. A light gilding of piecrust adds to the flattering feel, though there’s ample acidity here for balance and drive. Drink now through 2032."
- Item #: i_350542Bottle Size: 750ml2017 marks an exciting transition for fans of Arnaud’s captivating wines as he will unite his cuvées from both Brézé (20ha) and Saint Cyr en Bourg (20ha) under one label: Domaine Arnaud Lambert. The Saint Cyr wines come from Domaine Saint-Just, which was founded by Arnaud’s father Yves in 1996 when Arnaud was still getting his viticulture and oenology degree. The father/son team began working together in 2005, and in 2009, they also became managers of the viticultural estate of the Château de Brézé. (The château is not only a UNESCO World Heritage site, but also a historically important reference in French fine wine: royals used to exchange these wines annually for Château d’Yquem Sauternes.) The same year, they began to work the Château vines, Yves and Arnaud began converting all of their vineyards to organic, and were officially certified in 2012. This movement stemmed first and foremost from the desire to express the terroir of each individual Clos in its purest, most vibrant form.
- Item #: i_302660Bottle Size: 750MLJean-Claude Pichot’s family is one of the oldest inVouvray, with origins as viticulturists and restauranteursdating back to 1739. The family cellars are located in thecharming village of Vouvray, in caverns hewn from therolling hills which were once quarried to provide stoneto construct the grand châteaux of the Loire. In fact, thePichot home is itself part house and part cavern, with adramatic hearth carved from the rock. Jean-Claude wasone of six sons, but the only one to continue the familytradition of vigneron.Tasting notes: golden raisins on the nose and on thepalate. Grape juicy, like table grape concentrate. Easyto drink, already well-balanced with some elements ofcloves, butter tarte tatin and a touch of maple sugar.Good fruit extension with some grapefruit and apple skinon the finish.
- Item #: i_311146Bottle Size: 750mlThis is a classic styled Sancerre from Bailly's vineyards in and around the village of Bué, one of the greatest villages in the appellation. This wine is jammed full with minerals, citrus and and rich, melon fruit. This wine will sing with most anything you pair with it especially goat cheese or shellfish.