- Item #: i_352959Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92Decanter: 91 PointsWINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Very harmonious, with an open-textured profile, delivering cherry, strawberry, floral, licorice and tobacco notes on a delicate frame. Beautifully integrated and approachable now, though the intensity and slight grip from the tannins suggest that you could wait another year or two. Best from 2020 through 2028."
- Item #: i_323600Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 92#44 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS: "Since Bernard Baudry launched his domaine in 1975, the name has been synonymous with classic, terroir-driven Chinon. Bernard has since increased the domaine’s holdings to thirty hectares and passed the torch to his son Matthieu, but the philosophy has not changed: organic viticulture and native yeast fermentations remain the norm, with each cuvee showcasing the diversity of soils that give rise to distinctive expressions of the Cabernet Franc grape. The "Domaine" bottling is a blend of fruit from gravel and clay soils, giving a highly representative snapshot of the Chinon appellation. It is fresh and buoyant enough for casual fare yet has the stuffing to accompany heartier dishes, while its vivid raspberry fruit makes it extremely approachable today, notwithstanding its short-term aging potential. A versatile wine with excellent typicity, this red represents a perfect introduction to the Baudry estate, to the wines of Chinon, and to Cabernet Franc in general.
- Item #: i_352791Bottle Size: 750mlThere are a lot of nice guys in the world, but few could be described as more genuinely nice than Brendan Stater-West. One might ask how a young American guy from Oregon with no winemaking history ends up in Saumur as the assistant vigneron to Romain Guiberteau, one of the most celebrated vignerons in the Loire Valley. It started with a job in a Parisian wine store where Brendan first tasted a bottle of Guiberteau. Fortune brought the young man a wonderful French wife, and they moved to Saumur where he asked Romain for a job. Romain agreed, a move that proved to be beneficial for both.
CRISP, DRY, HIGH ACID, MINERAL CHENIN BLANC
- Item #: i_352792Bottle Size: 750mlThis is a new venture by an American, Brendan Stater West, who travelled to France to teach English, became hooked on wine, worked for one of the Loire's great winemakers (Domaine Guiberteau), before being offered a vineyard from which to make the sort of wine he likes: "elegant, pure, vertical, with salinity from the limestone.
The Saumur Rouge comes from a young south-west vineyard of Cabernet Franc in Brézé, in the lieu-dit La Ripaille. The soil profile is predominately sandy-clay of 1.5m in depth. Harvest is sorted in the vineyard then destemmed 100% upon arrival at Brendan’s facility. Maceration is based on an infusion style, no extraction (no pump-overs, pigeage, delestage) and lasts 6 days in order to preserve delicate and purity in texture. Aging is also in stainless steel for 6 months. 2018 is the first vintage bottled.
- Item #: i_351882Bottle Size: 750mlCERTIFIED ORGANIC
The Bretons first introduced biodynamic practices into their viticulture in 1994, just after receiving their organic certification in 1991. Recently, they started the three-year process of seeking biodynamic certification. In fact, they have become international icons for the natural wine movement in an area where the climate and soil can make organic viticulture difficult. Catherine and Pierre are two of the hardest working people we know of in the wine businesses. This explains why their wines, despite the fact that they are totally natural and unadulterated, are so incredibly consistent; consistently delicious. Their achievements and contributions to the natural and organic wine movement globally cannot be underestimated. Kermit Lynch
- Item #: i_322154Bottle Size: 750MLWINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "A bramble- and bay leaf—edged version, with a mix of dark cherry and red currant fruit forming the core. Light singed tobacco and a fresh chalk threads line the finish. Long and refined, showing a lovely tug of earth at the end. Drink now through 2026."
Les Varennes du Grand Clos is a slope of siliceous clay and limestone that has proven its ability to yield complex Chinons that stand the test of time-old bottles from decades past are still in their prime. Farming is organic, and the wine ages for over a year in barrel before bottling. The trademark of Les Varennes is its finesse: while structure is certainly not lacking, there is a harmony to fruit, acid, and tannins that allows us to pull the cork today. Its earthy flavors pair perfectly with rustic French cuisine; try a beef stew or wild mushrooms for a guaranteed match.
- Item #: i_353023Bottle Size: 750mlOne of the oldest and most celebrated domaines in Savennières, Chateau d’Épiré is rich in history, not only for its fabulous architectural rendition of the Petit Trianon of Versailles, but most especially for its exquisite wines. This cuvée is dry and accessible with notes of exotic fruits. Delicious and spectacularly complex, and it shows a value disproportionate to their pedigree.
- Item #: i_344231Bottle Size: 750MLBrézé is a unique site due to its relatively high elevation and eminently nuanced geological profile. The high composition of tuffeau, a porous, chalky limestone also used in the construction of much of the Loire’s Renaissance architecture, results in finely mineral Chenin Blanc. Clay and sand also lend themselves to the diversity of the terroirs, giving body to the reds and richness to the whites. With five historic and clearly delimited Clos to work with, the Lambert duo has the incredible opportunity to truly understand and reveal the distinctions within this extraordinary appellation.
- Item #: i_345148Bottle Size: 750MLLauded by King Réné Anjou in the 15th century classical literature, the Château de Brézé wines were regarded with such esteem that the royals exchanged them annually with the great Sauternes of Château d’Yquem. The vineyards belonging to the Château de Brézé entered a Renaissance of their own in 2009 when Count de Colbert conferred upon Yves and Arnaud Lambert management of the viticultural estate. The father and son team have immediately converted the entire 25 hectares to organic methods, with official certification as of the 2012 vintage.
Loire Cabernet Franc from a historic property which is mentioned for the first time in the year 1063, in records from Saint Florent's Abbatial. Delicious flavors of tobacco, raspberry, cassis, violet, and pepper.
- Item #: i_352905Bottle Size: 750mlManual Harvest in order to pick only the perfectly rippened grapes.
Aged in Stainless steel between 7 to 9 months
Deep and velvety, Beautiful aromas of red and black fruits (Cherry, blueberry, blackberry, et ripe black currant)
perfect balance between flesh and fruit
- Item #: i_352587\Bottle Size: 750mlFrom 25- to 50-year-old vines…displays a very clear, deep, flinty-pure and coolish, but also intense and mineral nose of great precision and individual expression. This Sancerre is full-bodied, very complex and mineral on the palate, with a clear and elegant, very persistent fruit, great grip and lingering salinity.
- Item #: i_333451Bottle Size: 750MLThe incremental changes made in both the winery and vineyards over the years and more recently by Benjamin Dagueneau have come together with a vintage that could best express what he was trying to say. Aromatic ripeness without high alcohol. Massive mineral concentration that will yield over time and marry perfectly with the high-toned fruit components and barrel and bottle complexity that seem in perfect harmony. The most young and backward of the bunch (as usual), this wine has massive acidity that provides the perfect balance to the mineral profile that is so prevalent in the mouth. No shortage of fruit, but for the time being, this wine is all about structure and potential. Sit back and marvel at what the years have in store for this wine, and make sure you save some.
- Item #: i_322262Bottle Size: 750mlPowerful, fragrant, slightly earthy aromas. Ripe, lovely black fruited texture, opulent structure. Will need a few years to come together.
- Item #: i_345492Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Racy and mouthwatering in feel from start to finish, with jasmine, ginger, peach, yellow apple and mineral notes that zip through in lockstep. Pretty honeysuckle accents gild the finish. Drink now through 2025."
- Item #: i_352136Bottle Size: 750mlCERTIFIED ORGANIC
Winemaker Notes - "Crisp apple, blossom honey, and a subtle note of grapefruit zest on the nose. Juicy and penetrating on the palate, offering lively orange zest and orchard fruit flavors along with hints of anise and honeysuckle. Very pure and focused."
- Item #: i_350578Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Green plum and verbena notes lead the way for now, with a flash of quinine on the finish. This is juicy, but still a bit compact overall, with the core of ample pear, quince and ginger flavors in reserve. Just wait for everything to knit together and stretch out, as the purity and length are there. Best from 2018 through 2028."
- Item #: i_351742Bottle Size: 750mlJOHN GILMAN 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Sec bottling from the Le Mont vineyard is another gem from Domaine Huët. The bouquet is bright, pure and nascently complex, offering up scents of lemon, apple, quince, bee pollen, chalky soil tones and a topnote of spring flowers. On the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied and more closed in personality than the Le Haut Lieu Sec, with a bit of the backend dustiness of shutdown young Vouvray already starting to throw its weight around, but with excellent depth at the core and impressive focus. The finish is long, beautifully balanced and intensely flavored, with great energy and grip. This is dynamite wine in the making but unlike the Le Haut Lieu Sec, I would be tempted to tuck this away in the cellar right away and not drink any bottles during its first couple of years, as I have the sense that this is going to shut down quite briskly and it will be pointless to waste bottles early on, particularly given how much potential there is here for down the road!"
- Item #: i_350542Bottle Size: 750ml2017 marks an exciting transition for fans of Arnaud’s captivating wines as he will unite his cuvées from both Brézé (20ha) and Saint Cyr en Bourg (20ha) under one label: Domaine Arnaud Lambert. The Saint Cyr wines come from Domaine Saint-Just, which was founded by Arnaud’s father Yves in 1996 when Arnaud was still getting his viticulture and oenology degree. The father/son team began working together in 2005, and in 2009, they also became managers of the viticultural estate of the Château de Brézé. (The château is not only a UNESCO World Heritage site, but also a historically important reference in French fine wine: royals used to exchange these wines annually for Château d’Yquem Sauternes.) The same year, they began to work the Château vines, Yves and Arnaud began converting all of their vineyards to organic, and were officially certified in 2012. This movement stemmed first and foremost from the desire to express the terroir of each individual Clos in its purest, most vibrant form.
- Item #: i_351571Bottle Size: 750mlSince the Middle Ages, Fronton, just north of Toulouse, has been the home of the Negrette grape variety, which is nearly exclusive to the area. The region encompasses 2,300 hectares of vines dominated by dry heat and rocky soils and the landscape is marked by hills and valleys, ranging from 300 to 600 ft above sea level. The banks of the Tarn and Garonne rivers have particularly poor gravel soils. Vines grown in this area are forced to struggle and dig deeper for nutrients to establish a stronger root system. This gives the grapes very distinct flavors and they are commonly characterized as having notes of violets and licorice.
- Item #: i_311146Bottle Size: 750mlThis is a classic styled Sancerre from Bailly's vineyards in and around the village of Bué, one of the greatest villages in the appellation. This wine is jammed full with minerals, citrus and and rich, melon fruit. This wine will sing with most anything you pair with it especially goat cheese or shellfish.
- Item #: i_350379Bottle Size: 750mlIn 1936, Quincy became the first Loire wine to earn AOC status, second in all of France only to Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Thanks to the sandy soils and warm microclimate, the Sauvignon Blanc here is able to ripen more fully than in better-known villages such as Sancerre to the north. At Domaine Trotereau, Pierre Ragon is blessed with vines over 100 years old that are still producing exceptional fruit. Lush, aromatic, and zingy, Pierre’s old-vine Quincy has a mouth-coating texture and charming notes of tangerine that are certain to earn this great appellation the following it deserves. —Anthony Lynch
- Item #: i_333869Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 96WINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS - "Bold, lush and tropical in feel, with creamed papaya and mango notes seamlessly gliding together, while coconut, green plum, ginger, quince and white peach flavors fill in the background. Offers a succulent finish, but stays pure and steady thanks to perfectly embedded acidity. Best from 2015 through 2030. 250 cases imported."