- Item #: i_321806Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96+"This Vertus domaine numbers among my favorite addresses on the Cote de Blancs, and the Doyard family's vinous, incisive Champagnes deserve a place in any well-stocked cellar. Deep, concentrated and characterful, everything that bears the Doyard label is well worth serious attention." - William Kelley, The Wine Advocate.
The Doyards trace their roots in Champagne back to the 17th century. Maurice Doyard was the first in the family to make wine in the village of Vertus, officially signifying the domaine's foundation. In 1979, at the ripe old age of 20, Yannick Doyard took over the estate, quickly turning it into a beacon for precise, mineral-etched Champagnes they're known for today. They employ a 'non-dogmatic' approach to biodynamic farming, utilizing absolutely no herbicides or pesticides, and most vineyards are still worked by horse.
Yannick Doyard's pride and joy is his Clos de l'Abbaye which is a true tete de cuvee triumph from the beautiful 2013 vintage. Derived from an actual, walled "clos" in the heart of Vertus behind the family estate, the Clos de l'Abbaye is planted with 60-year-old Chardonnay vines, bio-dynamically-farmed and horse-plowed. Fermented and aged in older, neutral Burgundy barrels with no malo, it sees a long, 54 months sur lie prior to release at a mere 2 grams/liter of dosage.
Only in these very strange times would we be offered an augmented allocation a well as a discounted price on such a crown jewel. Quantity is limited, don't miss out on this truly remarkable Champagne.
WINE ADVOCATE 96+ POINTS - "The 2013 Extra-Brut Premier Cru Clos de l'Abbaye is brilliant, mingling notes of citrus oil, peach and pear with hints of wheat toast and walnuts in an incipiently complex bouquet. Full-bodied, deep and multidimensional, the vintage's racy acid spine is cloaked in a textural, enveloping core of fruit, concluding with a long and resonant finish. This derives from a walled 0.40 ha plot of 60-year-old cordon-pruned vines just behind the winery in Vertus; only the first press juice is used. This is a strikingly good Champagne."
- Item #: i_374181Bottle Size: 750mlLaherte is located in the Coteaux Sud d'Epernay not far outside of the city. Here the topography is hilly with a variety of aspects and soil types. This micro cuvee is drawn from Chardonnay vines planted on a west facing slope with thin top soil over a deep bedrock of Campanian chalk.
ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "Here in its first release, the 2014 Extra Brut Blanc de Blancs Les Grandes Crayères is another fabulous wine from Aurelien Laherte. Powerful in the glass, the 2014 possesses striking textural depth and resonance. This is an especially potent, structured expression of Chardonnay. I loved it. Dosage is 4 grams per liter. Disgorged: February 2018."
- Item #: i_379329Bottle Size: 750MLcépage 60% Pinot Noir, 40% Chardonnay
assemblage 100% 2014
village/vyd all Coeur de Cuvée and old vine sélection massale; 40% Pinot Noir from Mareuil-sr-Aÿ 1er Cru (Faubourg D’enfer, Croix Blanche, Pruche, Haut de Varille); 20% Pinot Noir from Aÿ Grand Cru (Cheuzelles, Pierre Robert, Le Leon, Pruche); 30% Chardonnay from Mareuil-sr-Aÿ 1er Cru (Beauregard, Ramonette, Buisson Saint Loup, Clef); 10% Chardonnay from Oiry Grand Cru and Chouilly Grand Cru
Jean-Paul Hébrart has been making some of the very finest wines in the Marne Valley for many years. They have long been favorites of ours. Peter Liem recently, said "Hébrart's wines just keep getting better and better. He's easily one of the best growers in Champagne." Hébrart's wines straddle ripe fruit character and intense soil expression, making them both complex and approachable. They are the wines you drink with people who think that they don't like Champagne.
- Item #: i_379384Bottle Size: 750mlThis is 100-percent Pinot Meunier Special Club hails from four select parcels from the Les Fortes Terres vineyard in Cuisles. The warm, south-facing exposure of the site usually renders memorable Champagnes that are silky and full-bodied with plenty of depth. This 2014 edition is no exception as this review suggests:
VINOUS WINE MEDIA 92 POINTS-"The 2014 Brut Special Club Les Fortes Terres shows a more overt side of Meunier. Apricot, orange peel, chamomile, almond and spice notes are all kicked up a notch in this decidedly rich, sumptuous Champagne. Moreover, the Fortes Terres really stands out in this range for its bold, forward personality. Dosage is 3 grams per liter. Disgorged: November 18, 2018."
- Item #: i_379358Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Disgorged in July 2018 with five grams per liter dosage, the 2014 Brut 1er Cru Blanc de Blancs Gastronome is showing beautifully, bursting from the glass with an expressive bouquet of ripe citrus fruits, Anjou pear, warm bread and fresh peach. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, fleshy but fine boned, with ripe but racy acids, a pretty core of fruit and an elegantly chalky finish."
- Item #: i_377201Bottle Size: 750mlPETER LEIM 1 1/2 STARS-"A blend of 70 percent Pinot Noir and 30 percent Chardonnay, this is fragrant and perfumed, its soft red fruit feeling voluptuous in texture and energetic in tone. This is an excellent version of this cuvée, showing an unusual detail and finesse, and it finishes with long, lively length. Last tasted: 3/17."
- Item #: i_379567Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS-"Aromatic, with floral and ripe berry and cherry fruit notes, this harmonious Champagne shows a zesty underpinning and a creamy mousse. Fresh and mouthwatering throughout, showing hints of chopped almond, Meyer lemon peel and pastry dough. Offers a lingering finish loaded with fragrant spice and graphite accents.”