- Item #: i_321806Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96+"This Vertus domaine numbers among my favorite addresses on the Cote de Blancs, and the Doyard family's vinous, incisive Champagnes deserve a place in any well-stocked cellar. Deep, concentrated and characterful, everything that bears the Doyard label is well worth serious attention." - William Kelley, The Wine Advocate.
The Doyards trace their roots in Champagne back to the 17th century. Maurice Doyard was the first in the family to make wine in the village of Vertus, officially signifying the domaine's foundation. In 1979, at the ripe old age of 20, Yannick Doyard took over the estate, quickly turning it into a beacon for precise, mineral-etched Champagnes they're known for today. They employ a 'non-dogmatic' approach to biodynamic farming, utilizing absolutely no herbicides or pesticides, and most vineyards are still worked by horse.
Yannick Doyard's pride and joy is his Clos de l'Abbaye which is a true tete de cuvee triumph from the beautiful 2013 vintage. Derived from an actual, walled "clos" in the heart of Vertus behind the family estate, the Clos de l'Abbaye is planted with 60-year-old Chardonnay vines, bio-dynamically-farmed and horse-plowed. Fermented and aged in older, neutral Burgundy barrels with no malo, it sees a long, 54 months sur lie prior to release at a mere 2 grams/liter of dosage.
Only in these very strange times would we be offered an augmented allocation a well as a discounted price on such a crown jewel. Quantity is limited, don't miss out on this truly remarkable Champagne.
WINE ADVOCATE 96+ POINTS - "The 2013 Extra-Brut Premier Cru Clos de l'Abbaye is brilliant, mingling notes of citrus oil, peach and pear with hints of wheat toast and walnuts in an incipiently complex bouquet. Full-bodied, deep and multidimensional, the vintage's racy acid spine is cloaked in a textural, enveloping core of fruit, concluding with a long and resonant finish. This derives from a walled 0.40 ha plot of 60-year-old cordon-pruned vines just behind the winery in Vertus; only the first press juice is used. This is a strikingly good Champagne."
- Item #: i_379329Bottle Size: 750MLcépage 60% Pinot Noir, 40% Chardonnay
assemblage 100% 2014
village/vyd all Coeur de Cuvée and old vine sélection massale; 40% Pinot Noir from Mareuil-sr-Aÿ 1er Cru (Faubourg D’enfer, Croix Blanche, Pruche, Haut de Varille); 20% Pinot Noir from Aÿ Grand Cru (Cheuzelles, Pierre Robert, Le Leon, Pruche); 30% Chardonnay from Mareuil-sr-Aÿ 1er Cru (Beauregard, Ramonette, Buisson Saint Loup, Clef); 10% Chardonnay from Oiry Grand Cru and Chouilly Grand Cru
Jean-Paul Hébrart has been making some of the very finest wines in the Marne Valley for many years. They have long been favorites of ours. Peter Liem recently, said "Hébrart's wines just keep getting better and better. He's easily one of the best growers in Champagne." Hébrart's wines straddle ripe fruit character and intense soil expression, making them both complex and approachable. They are the wines you drink with people who think that they don't like Champagne.
- Item #: i_378249Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92Wine Spectator: 90Like all of Paul Bara’s releases, Pinot Noir is the back-bone of their Special Club. Production is strictly old-school, with only free run and first press juice used, fermentation in small cement tanks, and aging and riddling in cold, extremely deep cellars for several years. Nothing is released until ready. Each year, the Special Club represents the pinnacle of the Bara process and style. Superlatives seem to be insufficient when describing the experience of savoring a glass of this Champagne. It simply has it all—refined hazel-nutty, toasty notes, bright acidity, some of the most delicate bubbles ever created, and a finish that lasts and lasts (sometimes longer than the bottle does).
Clark z. Terry, Kermit Lynch wine merchant
- Item #: i_379358Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Disgorged in July 2018 with five grams per liter dosage, the 2014 Brut 1er Cru Blanc de Blancs Gastronome is showing beautifully, bursting from the glass with an expressive bouquet of ripe citrus fruits, Anjou pear, warm bread and fresh peach. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, fleshy but fine boned, with ripe but racy acids, a pretty core of fruit and an elegantly chalky finish."
- Item #: i_378663Bottle Size: 750MLThe champagne Spécial Club 2010 from PIERRE GIMONNET & FILS is a great champagne. Its terroir is the greatest of the House, and the ultimate vintage. This 100% Chardonnay champagne is elaborated from a precise blend of the oldest vines (more than 40 years old), with a majority of Cramant Grand Cru. Vintage Cuvée "Special Club" 2010 offers a great balanced between its various Chadonnay origins, with a weak sugar dosage (5 grs per liter). But this mainly Cramant cuvée perfectly expresses this style : very complex with a great elegance ans fineness.
- Item #: i_378226Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 95This is a rare all white grape Champagne from the village of Bouzy, which of course, is the famed Champagne bastion for Pinot Noir. "Les Mottelettes" is a chalk-laden vineyard parcel planted in 1961 with roughly 90% Chardonnay and 10% Pinot Blanc vines. Quentin Paillard, his brother and his father all wanted to make a terroir Champagne from their oldest, most prized plots--the same vines that they use to propagate the massale selections for the rest of their holdings. Bouzy is well known as one of Champagne's "hot pockets" and its wines are noted for their weight and power, this Paillard bottling, however, impresses with its buoyancy and taught precision as it graces the palate with bright, enduring notes of lemon peel, yellow orchard fruits, almonds, and slate.
- Item #: i_377201Bottle Size: 750mlPETER LEIM 1 1/2 STARS-"A blend of 70 percent Pinot Noir and 30 percent Chardonnay, this is fragrant and perfumed, its soft red fruit feeling voluptuous in texture and energetic in tone. This is an excellent version of this cuvée, showing an unusual detail and finesse, and it finishes with long, lively length. Last tasted: 3/17."
- Item #: i_379567Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS-"Aromatic, with floral and ripe berry and cherry fruit notes, this harmonious Champagne shows a zesty underpinning and a creamy mousse. Fresh and mouthwatering throughout, showing hints of chopped almond, Meyer lemon peel and pastry dough. Offers a lingering finish loaded with fragrant spice and graphite accents.”