- Item #: i_375800Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93PETER LEIM 1+ STARS-"It’s dark and stony on both the nose and palate, de-emphasizing its fruit flavors, yet it avoids the vegetal character typical of the vintage, instead feeling savory and strongly chalky even to the point of bitterness, albeit in an appealing way. It grows in intensity the farther back it moves on the palate, finishing with harmony and length. This is excellent, and it will be fascinating to see how it evolves with further aging. Last tasted: 2/18
- Item #: i_353094Bottle Size: 750mlVINOUS 92 POINTS - "Moderately saturated medium red. Sexy, musky aromas of fresh, ripe strawberry, raspberry, menthol and licorice. Quite penetrating for the vintage, with its touch of sweetness effortlessly carried by firm acidity cooling menthol and underlying minerality. This very sexy wine finishes firm and long, with a solid tannic spine and an element of saline complexity. Really spreads out on the end to dust the entire palate and vibrate."
- Item #: i_333781Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 99 PointsTasting through the stunning line-up from Bosquet de Papes re-affirmed the brilliance of this estate and reinforced our belief in the strength of the 2016 vintage in Chateauneuf du Pape. The wines from top to bottom are stunning and appear to be the best this great estate has made to date. Shockingly, the wines continue to offer an amazing quality to price ratio. Where else in the world can you find such critically acclaimed wines at such compelling prices?
Consider the following quotes from critics who review Rhone wines for a living:
"The wines here seem to be going from strength to strength" - Wine Advocate
"Today this estate unquestionably produces some of the top wines in the appellation" - Jeb Dunnuck
'This is a property to buy from before pricing jumps" - Wine Advocate
Nicolas Boiron is the gregarious, larger than life personality who has led this family owned domaine to its greatest heights. Each of these wines has its own personality, but the common thread is they all display delicious, full-bodied fruit flavors enveloped in silky smooth tannins.
JEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS - "The deepest colored of the trio and a true “Wow” wine, the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape La Folie is 80% Grenache and 20% Mourvèdre that was completely destemmed and brought up 10% new barrels, with the balance in demi-muids. An insane bouquet of black cherry liqueur, blackberries, crushed rocks, and pepper garrigue gives way to a full-bodied, incredibly polished, seamless Grenache. This beauty does everything right and possesses a vibrant, sexy texture, no hard edges, and a blockbuster finish. It will most likely merit a triple-digit score in a few years and cruise for a decade or more."
WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "The 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape la Folie is a special cuvée that has only been made three times: in 2007, 2015 and 2016. As Nicolas Boiron points out, it's a "modern style" of Châteauneuf, completely destemmed and aged in demi-muids and barriques, with a fair proportion of those barrels being new. Mocha cedar notes mark the nose at this early age, while the flavors resemble caramelized cherries and baking spices. Full-bodied, rich, creamy and undeniably plush, it's still recognizable as Châteauneuf-du-Pape, showing velvety hints of chocolate on the long finish. The assemblage is 80% Grenache and 20% Mourvèdre."
- Item #: i_322213Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91Burghound: 91-93WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS: " The 2013 Volnay 1er Cru Les Caillerets "Ancienne Cuvée Carnot" is showing well, opening in the glass with a complex bouquet of smoked meats, hoisin, wild berry fruit and spices. On the palate, the wine is medium-bodied, delicate and precise, with racy acids, powdery tannins and impressive concentration despite its fine-boned format, and its sappy expression of fruit is complemented by considerable savory nuance, concluding with a sappy finish."
- Item #: i_352968Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 88 - 91 POINTS - " A restrained but softly perfumed nose combines notes of red and dark cherry, spice, plum, sandalwood and a hint of violet, all of which is trimmed in just enough wood to mention. The lacy but quite punchy lighter weight flavors possess excellent delineation on the attractively stony finish that offers sneaky good length. This is very pretty and very Chambolle though it's not quite as complex as the Aux Réas, at least not today."
- Item #: i_352372Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Decanter: 96 PointsJeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsDECANTER 96 POINTS - "Sweet and opulent, this is really rather yummy with abundant notes of blueberry, thyme, blackcurrant, spice and olives. Very dense, textured, saline and toothsome; powerful but very drinkable. Great development potential."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Depending on which exact components go into the blend (and the actual blending decisions), I suspect the 2017 Lirac La Reine des Bois could be slightly different from these composite impressions. That said, all the potential puzzle pieces I tried were excellent. Expect a full-bodied, rich and velvety wine, with hints of boysenberries, blueberries and vanilla, with more length and verve than the regular bottling."
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "The flagship is the 2017 Lirac La Reine Des Bois, a Mourvèdre-heavy blend that includes 30% each of Syrah and Grenache. Its deep purple color is followed by stunning notes of blackberries, cassis, graphite, earth, and peppery herbs. Full-bodied, rich, concentrated, and voluptuous, it has no hard edges, remarkable purity, and a blockbuster finish. It's a decidedly sexy, forward, opulent wine from this estate to enjoy over the coming 7-8 years."
- Item #: i_345743Bottle Size: 750MLBurghound: 88-91Light ruby. Perfumed and seductive. Quite appealing already. Just needs the acidity to settle down a little. Lightly sandy tannins on the end...
- Item #: i_333869Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 96WINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS - "Bold, lush and tropical in feel, with creamed papaya and mango notes seamlessly gliding together, while coconut, green plum, ginger, quince and white peach flavors fill in the background. Offers a succulent finish, but stays pure and steady thanks to perfectly embedded acidity. Best from 2015 through 2030. 250 cases imported."
- Item #: i_376540Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS-"Fermented in used barrels with blocked malolactic, Doyard's 2008 Extra Brut Blanc de Blancs Grand Cru saw 108 months on the lees before it was disgorged with three grams per liter dosage. Wafting from the glass with a complex bouquet of gingerbread, warm biscuits, citrus oil, dried white flowers and a delicate hint of olorosso sherry, it's medium to full-bodied, deep and incisive, with an racy spine of acidity, a concentrated core of fruit and a long, searingly intense and delicately sapid finish. The subtle oxidative qualities lend it an appealingly old fashioned feel. As Doyard followers may know, this cuvée derives from Mesnil-sur-Oger, Cramant, Avize and Oger."
IMPORTER'S NOTES - "The Champagne Blanc de Blancs Millésime 2008 by Doyard is produced from the attentive selection of Chardonnay, coming only from the Grand Cru villages of the renowned Côte des Blancs, more precisely in Mesnil, Oger, Avize and Cramant. Only grapes from the best vintages turn into this Champagne Blanc de Blancs, resulting in output of just 650 6-pack cases a year. Dosage is 3g/l for this delicate and mineral Champagne Extra Brut."
- Item #: i_322098Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Burghound: 91Vinous Media: 91-94Decanter: 94 PointsDECANTER 94 POINTS: "This old-vine 0.72ha parcel touches the Clos St-Jean at the northern end of the village, and is one of the fresher, pithier wines in the domaine's range in 2017. It has good weight and concentration but also plenty of acidity, framed by aromatic oak."
- Item #: i_352603Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91-93BURGHOUND 91 POINTS : "A more deeply pitched nose reveals notes of dark cherry, plum and raspberry along with pretty spice and violet wisps. The supple and quite round medium-bodied flavors possess a bit more volume if less finesse on the impressively persistent and slightly firmer finish where a trace of wood appears.
WINE ADVOCATE 91-93 POINTS : "The 2017 Volnay 1er Cru Frémiets displays appealing aromas of smoked meats, plums, wild berries, dark chocolate and rich soil. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, broad-shouldered and velvety, with fine-boned structuring tannins cloaked in sapid and succulent fruit.
- Item #: i_352256Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91-93ROBERT PARKER 91-93 POINTS: "The 2016 Gevrey-Chambertin les Seuvrées comes from 60- to 70-year-old vines and included 30% whole-bunch fruit. This has a more refined and precise bouquet than the la Justice thanks to the effortlessly pure red fruit intertwined with cold stone/limestone aromas. The palate is medium-bodied with fine tannin, a killer line of acidity and a brightness on the finish that is a pure joy. This is a superb village cru, one of the best that I encountered this vintage."
- Item #: i_377922Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92The latest release of the Lassalles’ tête de cuvée marries the power and drive of the vintage with a velvety texture acquired from a seven-year élevage. This blend of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay is a Champagne of luxury, from its decadent golden tinge to the fine, persistent bead that playfully caresses the palate. Uncorking this euphoric elixir will guarantee a ceremoniously delicious occasion. —Anthony Lynch
- Item #: i_351741Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95-97Wine Spectator: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 98-100 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 97-100 POINTS - "Made with close to 50% stems (the highest in a while) and brought up in foudre and demi-muids (20% new), the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Chaupin sports deep ruby/purple color as well as sensational notes of kirsch liqueur, black raspberries, crushed flowers, crushed rocks, and incense. Just a huge, rich, unctuous wine, it offers everything you could want from Grenache and is certainly going to challenge the 2007 and 2010 as the greatest expression of this terroir to date. "
WINE ADVOCATE 95-97 POINTS - "Tasted from a single foudre representing the La Crau Est lieu-dit, the 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee Chaupin comes across as even richer and creamier than the 2015, yet with brighter acids and similar spice. Red fruit lingers, morphing toward chocolate as the finish goes on and on. Christophe Sabon describes the 2015s as well balanced and says, "They're not as intense as '16 or '10, but very interesting." He says he's aiming to achieve balance between power, elegance and ripe tannins. For me, the 2015s fit these criteria well at this estate. He adds, "To keep Grenache alone, you must be on sandy soils." Those, of course, are the basis for the family's Cuvée Chaupin and their new Châteauneuf-du-Pape from Clos Saint Antontin."
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "Delightful plum, raspberry and blackberry compote flavors form the core, with racy, graphite-edged structure running underneath. Dark anise and tobacco notes check in throughout. The long finish lets the fruit linger."
- Item #: i_352240Bottle Size: 750mlPaul Wasserman: “In cask this was all umami on the nose. Incredibly complex and compelling. The kind of nose so great you hate to move on to actually tasting the wine. Tapenade, green peppercorns, tarragon, Szechuan pepper, jus de viande. Like with the Crozes les Habrards, there is a lot of the color green. It actually reminded of a specific dish we make at the farm, the most umami dish we make, the one I have pregnant cravings for. It’s an Italian dish. Rabbit in a sauce that has anchovies, capers, and vinegar. Bottling has closed this up a little, and made it darker. It starts with griotte cherries, and the savory has moved from green to blue-black, to plums and vegemite. It is now closed on the palate too, but it is quiet rather than austere; it has the reserve of a truly great wine built for the ages. You definitely need to give this a two-hour decant to get it back to its life in cask. But it does go back there. Painfully slowly. La Force Tranquille. But when it finally cracks, the finish is superlative. Long, fresh, savory, complex. As the French say: PMG (pour ma gueule); or as the seagulls do: Mine!”
- Item #: i_333895Bottle Size: 750MLWINE ADVOCATE 91-93 POINTS: "The 2012 Nuits Saint Georges Les Charmoix is Etienne Grivot’s second village cru in Nuits Saint Georges, sourced from old vines with a propensity to ripen a little later than Les Lavieres. The nose is therefore rounded and fleshier than the aforementioned cru with buoyant red cherries and strawberry. The palate is also showing a more sorbet-like freshness and offers lovely blood orange notes on the vibrant finish. This is superb for a village cru."
- Item #: i_377744Bottle Size: 750MLSUSTAINABLE FARMING 80% Pinot Noir, 20% Chardonnay
Old vines in Verzeney Grand Cru
Jean Lallement (Lall-Mont) is an estate of only four hectares split between Verzenay and Verzy in the Montagne de Reims. A tiny producer, one of the smallest in this portfolio, but what wines! Original, complex, distinctive and yummy, all from a young vigneron who’s restlessly improving every year. The vineyards are spread between Verzenay and Verzy both grand cru villages, with small holdings in the premier cru of Ludes. Alex Lallement explained the terrior of Verzenay as more masculine and higher in elevation, while Verzey is more feminine and perfumed.
- Item #: i_351620Bottle Size: 750mlImmediately attractive and enticing. Aromatic and full of charm and joy. Bright perfumed notes of crunchy red cherry, forest berry, bramble and spices. A tiny production averaging just 20hl / hectares. One of Santenay’s most prestigious Premier Cru situated east of the village next to Chassagne-Montrachet. Rarely more than 100 cases of this incredible value red Burgundy are produced each year. Ageing is in used oak barriques.