- Item #: i_351699Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 95Decanter: 97 PointsWine Enthusiast: 96 PointsJeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsWINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "This offers a mix of red and black cherry paste flavors, infused with a range of bay leaf, savory, tobacco, olive and chalk notes. Shows a grippy feel through the finish, with the chalky minerality driving through. Best from 2022 through 2038."
#57 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019
DECANTER 97 POINTS - "From lieux-dits Mazard and La Côte, 80% destemmed. Sun-warmed herbs accompany sand, lavender and raspberry on the nose. It has good aromatic freshness and definition, and the full-bodied palate is also clean, super-fresh and lively. It's dense and ripe, defined by serrated tannins, keen acidity and a mouth-coating character. This is full of character, a very classic expression of Cornas that's not massive, but is detailed, clear and sinewy with mineral hints. Seriously good this year."
- Item #: i_378941Bottle Size: 750mlJacques Beaufort has long been one of our Champagne hero's. Back in the early 1970's Jacques was virtually alone leading the charge against the use of chemicals and herbicides and he has now been farming biodynamically for decades. Beaufort's approach to winemaking is equally stripped-down and non-interventionist. Such a strict, natural approach has its obvious risks, and over the years his Champagnes have been a bit "hit or miss" but his hits like this 2010 are often home runs. This is a bright, exuberant (dare we say hedionistic) Champagne that belies it Brut Zero configuration. The 2010 Andre Beaufort presents a delicate mousse and persistent bubbles, greeting your nose with pear, herbs de Provence and toasted hazelnuts. Expressive in character and bold on the palate, it culminates with a fine, zippy finish.
- Item #: i_351708Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Pure cherry, raspberry and stony mineral flavors are the hallmarks of this juicy red, with a firm, well-integrated structure. Combines elegance and muscle. The finish is dense and long. Best from 2022 through 2036."
- Item #: i_325730Bottle Size: 750mlChampagne Bertrand Senecourt is an Epernay Champagne house that sometimes makes special cuvees, such as Beau Joie Special Cuvee Brut. The Champagne is 60% Pinot Noir and 40% Chardonnay and it is bottled in a distinctive 100% copper wrapper that Bertrand Senecourt says is inspired by the suits of armor worn by medieval knights. The copper “suit of armor” keeps the Champagne colder for longer periods, according to Bertrand Senecourt, and the copper wrapper is made from recycled copper. In 2012 Beau Joie Special Cuvee Brut was the official Champagne for the party held after the Grammys at the Chateau Marmont in Los Angeles. Other Beau Joie cuvees have earned compliments in Stephen Tanzer’s International Wine Cellar. Bertrand Senecourt is also the maker of the prestigious Charles Ellner Champagnes.
- Item #: i_399905Bottle Size: 750MLeROBERT PARKER 90 POINTS: "The 2013 Beauséjour (Duffau Lagarrosse) offers impressive intensity given the growing season with crisp and pure dark cherries, raspberry coulis and subtle earthy bordering upon loamy scents. The oak here is nicely enmeshed and attests some clever winemaking in this challenging season. The palate is well balanced with a little chewiness on the entry. There is admirable weight here, even if I discerned more finesse and precision on the 2013 Pavie-Macquin. Still, this constitutes a sterling effort and it should give 10 to 15 years of pleasure, possibly longer."
- Item #: i_375282Bottle Size: 750MLJOHN GILMAN 92 POINTS-"2009 was the first vintage of Rosé that bore the new name of “Campania Remensis” on the label. The cuvée now takes its name from the Latin term for the countryside outside of Reims 40 that was used during Roman times here. The wine all hails from fruit grown in the village of Orme on the Petite Montagne, with the cépages sixty-five percent Pinot Noir, thirty percent Chardonnay and five percent red still wine (again Pinot Noir). The 2013 Campania Remensis was disgorged in March of 2017 and was showing beautifully a year out from its disgorgement, offering up a very refined and pure nose of strawberries, white cherries, a touch of orange zest, chalk and a topnote of dried flowers. On the palate the wine is crisp, full-bodied, elegant and marvelously balanced, with a good core, fine focus and grip, lovely, delicate mousse and a very long, complex and vibrant finish. First class Rosé! 2018-2035."
- Item #: i_376667Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92100% Pinot Meunier from two special parcelles (Maisancelle and Cote aux Chatalgniers)situated in the Marne Valley left bank of the river. This 2016 was disgorged in November 2018 with a dosage of 3g/l.
- Item #: i_325598Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "A fleshy, acidulous cuvees which suggests the liveliness of pomelo or morello cherry, mingled with the irresistible aroma of freshly picked wild strawberries. the aromatic finess evokes, like a cherry or almond ree in bloom, a natural, sophisticated elegance. A delicate, structured wine, with aromas of homemade red fruit jams, warmed by hints of pepper and cinnamon. This elegant, seamless Champagne is supple in texture, expressing toast, coffee, spice and dried berry aromas and flavors that pick up a hint of vanilla as well. Offers lovely harmony and a long aftertaste. Drink now through 2013."
- Item #: i_351830Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "A great sleeper of the vintage, this fully mature wine, made by Helene Garcin, has loads of deep raspberry and black cherry fruit with hints of licorice, toasty oak, and spice box. It is plush, succulent, and hedonistic, yet at the same time complex. I loved their 1998, and this wine seems to have turned out just as well. It has reached full maturity, where it should stay for at least a 10 to 15-year period."
- Item #: i_351375Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Wine Spectator: 95Decanter: 95 PointsJeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "The 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape is another sunny, beautifully Provençal effort that has a huge nose of garrigue, raw steak, leather, truffle, and peppery spice. Medium to full-bodied, concentrated, and balanced, it’s not a massive Beaucastel yet it has a classic, Provençal, incredibly satisfying style that will benefit from 4-6 years of bottle age and keep for two decades."
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The full-bodied, dense 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape seems a bit closed at the moment, but Asian five spice powder still brings plenty of complexity and nuance to the rich, dark fruit aromas and flavors. Multidimensional, layered and long, this is another terrific vintage for Beaucastel's main cuvée, perhaps falling just slightly behind the 2016 and 2018."
- Item #: i_352234Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92-94James Suckling: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 93 - 95 POINTS - "The 2017 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc is another brilliant white from this team that hasn't put a foot wrong in the past decade or more. Buttered citrus, honeysuckle, flower oil, and white flowers all flow to this rich, beautifully layered, fresh and vibrant white that's impeccably balanced. Scheduled to be bottled shortly after my visit, it’s unquestionably another great vintage for this wine."
WINE ADVOCATE 92 - 94 POINTS - "Tasted prior to bottling, the 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape Blanc contains a whopping 80% Roussanne. There's 15% Grenache Blanc, with the balance being a blend of the appellation's various permitted white varieties. It's a rich, full-bodied example of white Châteauneuf-du-Pape, with honeyed notes of pineapple, peach and citrus all playing leading roles, while a touch of anise appears on the lingering finish."
JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "The anchor grape, Roussanne (80 per cent of the blend) is working well here, holding the acidity nicely. This has waxy, apple and lemon aromas with some pear perfume, too. Crisp, pear flavors on the gently creamy, elegant and open-knit palate. Delicately crisp. Drink or hold."
- Item #: i_353005Bottle Size: 750mlAs has always been the case, Versino makes very little Cuvée des Felix—usually about 400 cases in total, a fraction of which make it to the US. Bois de Boursan grows all the 13 authorized Châteauneuf varieties in their multitude of vineyard parcels (27 plots across 10 hectares, all in the village of Châteauneuf-du-Pape proper), but this wine is driven by Grenache (65%) and Mourvèdre (25%), with Syrah (5%) and an assortment of other varieties comprising the balance. It is aged 18 months in used French oak barriques and is typically a touch more tannic and tightly wound compared to Bois de Boursan’s estate Châteauneuf bottling (which we offered back in January). Nevertheless, like most Châteauneuf-du-Pape, today’s 2012 is delicious to drink now, thanks to Grenache’s generous fruit. It is downright explosive right out of the gate, with a dark, ruby-black hue in the glass and lots of black fruits on the nose and palate: crushed blackberry, cherry, and boysenberry are layered with black licorice, cacao nibs, wild herbs, lavender, warm spices and leather with faint accents of dried olive and meat stock. It is full-bodied on the palate, its richness checked by a lively jolt of freshness. Think big, but agile: It’s built to age 10-15 years and will show best following a 45-minute decant and a service temperature closer to 60 degrees. Use some big Burgundy stems and pair it with pulled pork cooked “low and slow” in the oven. This pairing is a ‘master class’ in concentrated flavors and a great way to enjoy one of wine’s most enduring classics. Enjoy!
- Item #: i_321295Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 89-91Jeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 94-96 POINTS - "Also not yet bottled the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée des Felix offers a similar level of concentration, yet is more tight, structured, and elegant. Currants, scorched earth, leather, and ground pepper notes give way to a full-bodied, powerful, concentrated 2016 that's going to benefit from short-term cellaring yet cruise for two decades. This cuvée is 65% Grenache, 25% Mourvèdre, and the rest a mix of varieties, all aged in very old barrels."
- Item #: i_349955Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92-94Wine Spectator: 96WINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS: "This is tightly coiled, with intense raspberry and cherry reduction notes waiting to unwind, but held in check for now by myriad licorice, iron, rooibos tea and singed alder details. Shows terrific cut and tension through the finish, revealing a blaze of minerality. Just needs some time to harmonize fully."
- Item #: i_349977Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 97WINE SPECTATOR 97 POINTS - "This delivers a lush, enticing blast of cassis and raspberry and boysenberry preserve flavors, carried by a silky structure that lets the fruit play out at length, giving adequate time for black tea, singed apple wood, dried anise and fruitcake notes to fill in throughout. Dreamy. Grenache. Best from 2020 through 2040."
- Item #: i_353102Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94James Suckling: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Dark in color, almost black. Aromas of raisin, spices and blackberry follow through to a full body, with chewy tannins and a long, powerful finish. Has loads of fruit and toasty oak. This is exciting. A new 1947?."
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "Classy, subtle aromas of blackberries, currants and spices follow through to a full body, with fine tannins and a fresh finish. Wonderfully subtle and refined."
- Item #: i_352742Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Decanter: 95 PointsJeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "I always love this cuvée, and the 2017 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Les Quartz offers a terrific perfume of black raspberries, white flowers, orange blossom, honeysuckle, and crushed rocks. It's medium to full-bodied, seamless, and finesse-driven on the palate, with the pure, elegant style of the estate front and center. It picks up more minerality with time in the glass, is beautifully balanced, and has a great finish."
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape Les Quartz features scents of black olives and black cherries on the nose. It's a full-bodied, dense, tightly packed wine that will need time to fully express itself—is it a modern-day 2005? Ample cherry and stone fruit appear on the long, intense finish, confirming the terrific potential this wine possesses."
DECANTER 95 POINTS - "Grown half on galets and half on sand in lieu-dit Les Cassanets, the fruit is destemmed and fermented mostly in concrete, before being matured in demi-muid, except for a 10% portion in amphora. It has a highly individual aromatic profile, very dark and brooding. The full-bodied palate features black fruits with a lovely sense of purity and line. There's real weight and presence without heaviness, and wonderful harmony and balance. A highly polished wine with a slight sweetness to the fruit and a very long finish. The best Quartz in some time from Clos du Caillou - real depths to explore here despite the polish."
- Item #: i_353033Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 96JAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS: "The flagship from this estate is the 2016 Saint Joseph Paradis Saint Pierre, which comes from an incredible terroir high up on the granite slopes just outside of Mauves. Deep purple-colored, with a stunning array of cassis, blackberries, toasted spice, dried herbs, and bouquet garni, this beauty hits the palate with medium to full body, a seamless, elegant texture, no hard edges, and a great finish. It's one of the wines in the vintage and, while already beautiful today, has a good 10-15 years of longevity."