- Item #: i_351526Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95-97Decanter: 96WINE ADVOCATE 95-97 POINTS - "The 2014 Clos de Tart Grand Cru will contain 40% whole bunch fruit in the final. It was picked from September 17 until September 22. This blend that I tasted included the young vines at the bottom of the vineyard that may or may not be deselected to make a Forge de Tart (the decision will be made next year). It is also the first vintage that does not include old vines at the northwest corner that were pulled up in spring 2014, due to be replanted in four years' time. It has a very well defined bouquet with cranberry and wild strawberry fruit, fine mineral tones and is quite harmonious with hints of wet limestone. The palate is medium-bodied and I feel this has tightened up since I tasted it in September 2015. The fruit also seems a little darker. Blackberry and wild cherry, with a hint of cola and certainly more tangible mineralité on the finish, as you can feel the mouth tingling long after it has bid adieu. Readers will be aware that I tasted the 2014 back in September at retiring winemaker Sylvain Pitiot's retirement do. Nevertheless I thought it would be appropriate to return a couple of months later to taste with new winemaker, Jacques Devauges. It also gave me a chance to walk down through the vineyard from Laurent Ponsot's winery and get a feel for the terroir - bracing it was too as I tramped through the vines to quizzical stares of those doing the first pruning of the vines."
DRECANTER 96 POINTS - "Vibrant, ripe blackberry plus delicate notes of rose, a gorgeously silky texture and sweet-spice finish. I tasted the seven parcels that make up this final wine and it is clear that there's a sensational synergy in the blending."
BURGHOUND 93 POINTS - OUTSTANDING! - "There is whiff of new wood framing the intensely floral-suffused nose and in particular rose petal and lavender that add elegance to the fresh mix of mostly red and dark currant scents that are trimmed in discreet earth hints. There is a lovely sense of energy to the moderately dense middle weight plus flavors that culminate in a dusty, palate coating and beautifully long finish. This is already completely harmonious and should make for terrific drinking for years to come."
- Item #: i_322037Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97Burghound: 92-94Vinous Media: 99+VINOUS 99+ POINTS: "The 2016 Clos de Tart Grand Cru, cropped at 35hl/ha, is the first year farmed biodynamically. This was completely breathtaking in barrel, and now, in bottle, nothing has changed in that respect. It has an ineffably complex bouquet, not as intense as it showed in barrel yet extremely deep and cerebral, black fruit mingling with forest floor, crushed stone and a touch of sea spray. The palate is perfectly balanced with a deceivingly understated entry, before a wave of black and red fruit crashes over the senses. It is framed by supremely fine tannin, the intensity building toward a crescendo as it fans out. The aftertaste is unbelievably long, remaining in the mouth 60 seconds after the wine has departed. The best ever - simple as that. Tasted at Clos de Tart."
eROBERT PARKER 97 POINTS: "The superb 2016 Clos de Tart Grand Cru confirms the promise it showed from barrel, unfurling in the glass with a striking bouquet of raspberries, rose petals, blood orange, black tea, spices and smoked meats. On the palate, the wine is full-bodied, pure and ample, with a deep core of vibrant, searingly intense fruit that entirely cloaks its structuring chassis of satiny tannin, concluding with a long and captivatingly floral finish. More elegant and transparent than the richer and fleshier 2015, this is an exceptional vintage for Clos de Tart. That there are fully 27,000 bottles makes this one of Burgundy's rare confluence of quality and quantity."
- Item #: i_351083Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 92 POINTS - "Initially there was some mild reduction present but some aggressive aeration allowed the notably stylish aromas of spice, red berry fruit, herbal tea and a hint of wood to express themselves. There is a lovely sense of detail to the supple, intense and focused middle weight flavors that display good if not truly special complexity on the balanced and solidly lingering finish. As is the case with many '07s today this is a lighter version of the appellation which would allow it to be enjoyed now even in magnum format. However, for my taste I would suggest holding this for another 6 to 10 years first to allow for more overall depth to develop."
- Item #: i_350482Bottle Size: 750mlBonnes Mares is 15.05 ha – hence almost 40% larger than Musigny – and is located in both Chambolle Musigny and Morey-Saint-Denis. The main part is in Chambolle-Musigny – north of the village and Les Fuées – and only 1.52 ha is located in the Morey appellation – just south of Clos de Tart.
This small parcel of Bonnes Mares (0.34 hectares) is on red soils which tend to give the more muscular and deep expressions of the vineyard. This 2015 certainly does not disappoint, with its structure that frames the core juicy, dark fruit. A beautifully sweet and inviting palate, which has a lift and a hint of wildness to it which reflects Francois’ hands off approach. Refined but powerful tannins provide the support for the long term. Drink 2019 - 2035
- Item #: i_350608Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-95Decanter: 97DECANTER 97 POINTS - "Like the domaine's Bonnes Mares parcel, this 0.25ha block used to belong to Domaine Newman, but has hit even greater heights under the hand of Arnaud Mortet. Beautifully judged, this is the work of a winemaker at the peak of his game, showing subtle (40%) whole-bunch notes with black cherry and blood orange fruit, sinuous tannins and a bright, tangy finish."
WINE ADVOCATE 93-95 POINTS: "2017 Mazis-Chambertin Grand Cru is the fourth vintage of this grand cru that Arnaud Mortet has produced and it's a lovely wine, offering up notes of dark wild berries, orange rind, peonies and spices. On the palate, it's full-bodied, ample and layered, with excellent depth and dimension, framed by fine-grained tannins that assert themselves on the elegantly chalky finish. Mortet manually destemmed a quarter of this cuvée, cutting out the stems and retaining the pedicels."
- Item #: i_345130Bottle Size: 750MLBurghound: 92-95BURGHOUND 92 - 95 POINTS - " This is also brooding to the point of being almost inexpressive and it is only with aggressive swirling that reluctant aromas of pungent earth, spice, floral, dark currant and mocha notes emerge. This is a seriously powerful and concentrated Maz with its muscular big-bodied flavors that also possess a hugely long finish on the almost painfully intense finale. This is terrific and should amply reward longer-term cellaring and note too that it's going to need it as this is very structured though not hard or tough."
- Item #: i_333343Bottle Size: 750MLBURGHOUND 95-97 POINTS "DON'T MISS": "A discreet application of wood does not reduce the considerable appeal of the ripe, pure and airy nose with its broad mélange of wild red berry fruit liqueur, earth, spice, violets and a hint of animale. The broad-shouldered flavors possess superb mid-palate concentration that enrobes the buried but still quite firm tannins while culminating in a beautifully balanced, muscular and explosively long finish. This is also very clearly built to age yet like the Clos St. Denis, there is so much sap that this could be drunk now with pleasure. A 'wow' wine."
- Item #: i_352243Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "The 2016 Clos de la Roche Grand Cru Cuvée Vieilles Vignes is superb, bursting from the glass with aromas of juicy cherries, peonies, blood orange, licorice, raw cocoa and espresso roast. On the palate, it's full-bodied, deep and succulent, with a concentrated, layered mid-palate, satiny structuring tannins and vibrant underlying acidity, concluding with a long finish. Harvested on October 7 at a comparatively high yield by Ponsot's standards of 38 hectoliters per hectare, this year seems to have been perfectly adapted to Ponsot's style. Vibrant, elegant and expressive, the 2016 is quite different from the richer, more powerful 2015, but in the fullness of time, I wouldn't be surprised to see it surpassing its brawnier elder sibling."
- Item #: i_350388Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 96 - 98 POINTS - "The 2015 Chambertin Clos de Bèze Grand Cru is a class act in the making, perhaps one of the finest barrel samples that I have tasted from Drouhin. This gem has a gorgeous and extraordinarily pure bouquet with crushed strawberry, pomegranate and overripe orange scents that are exquisite and beautifully defined. The palate is medium-bodied with super fine, almost filigree tannin that seem to caress the senses. It constitutes the most sophisticated of Drouhin's 2015s with ineffable finesse on the finish that lingers so long in the mouth. This is simply a brilliant wine."
BURGHOUND 94 POINTS