- Item #: i_345448Bottle Size: 750MLBIODYNAMIC
Mercurey Les Montots is a powerful wine with aromas of dark fruit followed by subtle animal and spicy notes. The palate is rich and elegant. The wine’s distinct acidity lends it a very drinkable quality and evokes fruits of the forest. This wine can be enjoyed after between two and eight years.
Les Montots is situated on fairly steep slope with southern exposure, planted with a selection of Pinot Noir vines from Nuits-Saint-Georges chosen for teir aromatic qualities and moderate yield. Les Montots is a Mercurey of its own kind, structured and viforous, deep with a dark ruby color.
- Item #: i_322611Bottle Size: 750MLWINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "The 2017 Bourgogne Côte Chalonnaise La Digoine opens in the glass with a reserved bouquet of smoky blackberries, raspberries and bay leaf, followed by a medium to full-bodied, fleshy and supple palate that's open and charming, concluding with a spice-inflected finish."
Winemaker's Notes "La Digoine is a site at the foot of a slope, known for centuries to provide the deep soil and growing conditions necessary for excellent red wine. Our vineyard here is planted in moderate-yield Pinot Noir. La Digoine can be drunk very young. Within two or three months of bottling, it demonstrates immediate appeal with red berry fruit and a balance of roundness, structure, and lenght on the palate.
However, this is another versatil wine which benefits from bottle aging. After 18 to 24 months, slow maturation and evolution begin to make their mark, and La Digoine will improve over the next ten year, revealing the deep, complex aromas worthy of a great burgundy. Depending on cellar conditions, we recommanded twelve to fifteen years of aging.
Serving temperature for a young La Digoine should be around 60°F, and around 64°F for an older one. It goes well with red meat and any of a variety of cheeses, though soft cheeses like Camembert, Brie, and Vacherin should be avoided."
- Item #: i_352650Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS: "The 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape checks in as 75% Grenache, 11% each of Syrah and Mourvèdre, and the balance Cinsault, Vaccarèse, and Counoise. It was 60% destemmed and brought up in a mix of foudre and concrete tanks. It's a smoking good base cuvée that offers perfumed black raspberries, violets, sweet spice, and exotic pepper aromas and flavors. Rich, medium to full-bodied, packed with fruit, balanced, and lengthy, drink this seductive, sexy 2017 over the coming 10-15 years. 92+"
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS: "The 2017 Châteauneuf du Pape Cuvée Tradition is a top effort for an entry-level wine. Bottled in March, it features peppery notes, dried spices and ripe cherries on the nose. Full-bodied, rich and velvety, it finishes long and intense, adding hints of salted licorice. It should drink well for at least a decade."
- Item #: i_352779Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "As always, the 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape Vieilles Vignes has a touch more dark fruits, more concentration, and more structure, which makes it less approachable but more age-worthy. Blackcurrants, ground pepper, bouquet garni, crushed rocks, and garrigue notes all emerge from this structured, focused, yet ripe and beautifully textured Châteauneuf Du Pape that's going to benefit from 2-4 years of bottle age."
ROBERT PARKER 93 POINTS - "The 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape Vieilles Vignes starts off with scents of tapenade, then adds ripe cherries and cola notes. Dark and concentrated, it's full-bodied and open-knit, perhaps a bit coarser than the elegant 2016, with a touch of chocolate on the long finish. The Grenache in this cuvée was planted in 1905, making this a relative value among old-vine offerings."
- Item #: i_352750Bottle Size: 750mlFrançois, how do you do it!? Dedicated to the Givry appellation, François Lumpp elevates each wine to a level rarely seen in this southern part of Burgundy. François is quick to point out that Givry shares the same soils as the Côte de Beaune, and indeed, just a taste reveals he has no reason to envy his neighbors to the north. The aromas are typical of fine Burgundy: raspberry, incense, cedar, and clove; on the palate, it presents a dense core and fine tannin. While all of François’s reds offer pleasure now and have good aging potential, none are more cellar-worthy than A Vigne Rouge. But to be honest, I’ve never resisted the temptation to drink it young! —Will Meinberg
- Item #: i_350741Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93JOHN GILMAN 95 POINTS - "The 2017 Clos du Bourg Demi-Sec is a stunning wine in the making. The bouquet offers up a superb constellation of apple, pineapple, quince, very complex minerality, honeycomb, orange blossoms and lanolin. On the palate the wine is pure, nascently complex and full-bodied, with superb depth at the core, bright, seamless acids, laser-like focus and outstanding grip and balance on the long, vibrant and stunning finish. This too will be approachable for a few years and then shut down for an extended period of hibernation, but unlike the Le Haut Lieu Demi-Sec, where early sampling would be perfectly understandable, to waste bottles of the 2017 Clos du Bourg Demi-Sec drinking it in its early window of accessibility would border on a crime! This is a legend in the making."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "This glistens, with glazed pear, warm persimmon, green plum and quince flavors, all carried by elegant white ginger and verbena notes. A light gilding of piecrust adds to the flattering feel, though there’s ample acidity here for balance and drive. Drink now through 2032."
- Item #: i_322644Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 92JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "This combines red-berry perfume with some earthy power. Pretty concentrated and complex wine for the appellation, the rather polished tannins giving it nice textural complexity. Long and generous, but cool and slightly salty finish. Drink or hold."
- Item #: i_344272Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 92James Suckling: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS: "A ripe and lush style, with creamed melon and peach notes framed by a light-handed dose of warm piecrust and singed macadamia nut hints. Keeps a fresh edge due to the honeysuckle gilding on the finish. Clairette, Grenache Blanc and Roussanne. Drink now through 2020."
- Item #: i_351602Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93James Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "This creamy and dreamy gewurztraminer is very seductive with a great lightness of touch. Wonderfully fresh and bright at the long, spicy finish, which has a slight bitter-sweet twist. Drink or hold. Made from biodynamically grown grapes."
VINOUS 94 POINTS - "Bright yellow gold. Aromas of peach, melon and honeysuckle are complicated by a mineral element on the captivating nose. Dense and creamy, offering terrific depth to the peach, mango and clove flavors. Finishes with excellent clarity and cut. A beauty; I like how this displays a terrific balance of Gewürztraminer richness, sweetness and energy. In fact, much richer and sweeter than the Cuvée Théo, but also better balanced. Weinbach did not bottle their Gewürz Altenbourg and Gewürz Mambourg in 2017 because of a frost episode that greatly reduced production volumes, and so all those Grand Cru grapes were used to make this wine. The Cuvée Laurence is normally Weinbach’s best Gewürz anyway (in fact, I think it’s the estate’s best dry wine), but in 2017 it’s even better than usual."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "From the bottom of the Altenbourg, the 2017 Alsace Gewurztraminer Cuvée Laurence offers intense and generous yet bright fruit on the nose. Creamy, dense and concentrated, this is a very elegant and structured Gewurtz with a long finish."
- Item #: i_352163Bottle Size: 750mlThe Borgeot brothers, Pascal and Laurent, are fourth generation winemakers. Their village Remigny is in the departement of Saone et Loire, so they are not in the Cote d’Or phone book, a source of eternal consternation for them, especially with the village of Santenay in site across the fields. Together, they work 48 acres of vines, half in red, half in white. The majority of these vines are 30 years old or older, with parcels of Santenay ‘Les Gravieres’ and Santenay ‘Vieilles Vignes’ older than 50 years. For over twenty years, their vines have received only organic fertilizers. They work the soil in winter to keep down weeds and increase micro-bacteriological activity. Where they have replanted, they have chosen strains of vines that are low yielding. All of these policies are aimed at bringing the harvest to full and perfect maturity as often as possible. Borgeot wines are floral and lemony in their youth, with spice and honey-drops as they develop. The Borgeot brothers, Pascal and Laurent, are fourth generation winemakers.
- Item #: i_350401Bottle Size: 750mlPierre Gonon farmed some of Mauve’s best slopes in the heart (some say the birthplace) of the St-Joseph appellation. In 1989, he turned direction of the property over to his sons, Jean and Pierre. This friendly, talented team of brothers has since earned a reputation as the domaine of St-Joseph.
The Gonon brothers farm and ferment in the old-school style. They work their nine hectares of land without any chemical fertilizers, herbicides, or pesticides, using all-natural composts.
VINE AGE AVERAGE 100 YEARS
- Item #: i_352768Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92+WINE ADVOCATE 92+ POINTS - "A generous bouquet of marzipan and ripe pears that's subtly framed by new wood introduces the 2017 Pouilly-Fuissé En Bertillonne, a medium to full-bodied, deep and muscular wine that's textural and blocky in profile, with ripe underlying acids and a heady finish. Its structure and concentration are impressive, but it will merit a little bottle age."
- Item #: i_352769Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2017 Pouilly-Fuissé opens in the glass with an attractive bouquet of confit citrus, Anjou pear and blanched almonds. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, deep and fleshy, with ripe acids, a nicely concentrated core of fruit and good tension at the core despite its expressive profile."
- Item #: i_350309Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS "All the 2017s from this estate are brilliant wines, and the 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape should be purchased by the case. It offers a ripe, sexy style as well as complex notes of ripe red and black currants, graphite, melted licorice, and incense. With ripe tannins and a layered, elegant texture, it’s a terrific example of the style of the vintage and will keep for 10-15 years."
- Item #: i_352238Bottle Size: 750mlORANIC APPROACH - NO HERIBICIDEN NO INSECTICIDE, NO ANTI-ROT TREATMENT
Arguably one of the top two producers in Sancerre with some of the best vineyard sites, Vincent Pinard is dedicated to his craft. He is based in Bué and has 15 ha of vines. Vincent certainly makes the most of this privileged position, crafting some of the most exciting wines in the appellation. The excessively low yields, hand harvesting and modern winery, complete with temperature controlled vats, result in enticing, aromatic and intense wines. Although not certified organic, they do not use any pesticides in the vineyard.
The Cuvée Harmonie is aged in barriques and is rounded, restrained and extremely complex.
- Item #: i_322224Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90James Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "This has a very fresh and pure lemon nose with iodine, wet-chalk and spiced almond-biscuit notes. The palate has a stunning array of lemons, peaches and grapefruit with a seamless, pastry-like texture and a late, flinty twist to the succulent, grapefruit finish. Drink or hold."