- Item #: i_352674Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC
Aged 24 months on fine lees in foudre
Jean-François creates a stunning number of cuvées, ranging between thirty-five and forty every year! His methodology goes far beyond the details of the average vigneron. For some, his process would be maddening, as each cuvée calls for a highly individualized élévage. Jean-François is committed to minute doses of sulfur, so low in fact, that many fear it hurting the wines during transport. He curbs this issue entirely by aging many of his whites on the lees for extended periods of time, anywhere from two to eleven years! In all of his years making wine, he has never had a problem. In the Jura, many of the wines go through a traditional, intentional oxidation; however Jean-François aims to lend a greater lightness and elegance to wines of this style than are typical. He gravitates toward the Burgundian style, using ouillage to top off barrels. Jean-François Ganevat is a master of his craft, one of the true magicians of the eclectic. To say that his grapes are spun into gold would not be far from the truth; they are entirely otherworldly.
- Item #: i_351634Bottle Size: 750mlThe vines here are from southeast facing slopes in a section of Les Lys known as “Clos du Roi” (effectively a monopole of the Defaix estate). The Defaix domaine owns 3.5 hectares of this 5 hectare 1er Cru. The resulting wine is long-lived and displays remarkable finesse and length, a classic Chablis. One often encounters the flavors and aromas of bergamot, acacia and honey in the Les Lys alongside a compelling freshness, a wine of excellent tension. The average age of the vines is 45 years.
- Item #: i_376254Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS-'Tightly knit and exotic, with mouthwatering acidity and expressive accents of coconut, ground clove and tea rose to the flavors of yellow plum, lemon curd and graphite. Creamy and harmonious. Drink now through 2019. 4,000 cases made. (03/16)."
JOHN GILMAN 91+ POINTS"Nicolas Demière’s current bottling of non-vintage Blanc de Blancs is base year 2012 and the wine is absolutely singing at the present time. The dosage here is six grams per liter and the nose jumps from the glass in wide open constellation of pear, crème patissière, lovely chalkiness, a touch of fresh almond, gentle smokiness and a topnote of white flowers. On the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied, vibrant and rock solid at the core, with excellent focus and grip, lovely, frothy mousse and a long, racy finish. This is drinking very well indeed today, but will clearly last very well and it would be a fine bottle to lay down in the cellar as well. 2016- 2030. 91+."
- Item #: i_351279Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Pouilly-Fuissé Tête de Cru Clos des Prouges was cropped at a mere 29 hectoliters per hectare this year, and it's a little more fleshy and exotic in profile, bursting with aromas of spring flowers, orange zest, peaches and fresh pastry. On the palate, it's full-bodied, ample and rich, with succulent balancing acids and a long, fragrant finish. It's a bit more precocious than usual and will drink well out of the gates."
- Item #: i_377844Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS-"[This] is a Chardonnay from five villages of the Côte des Blancs but is mainly sourced in Vertus (50%). The recent disgorgement from early 2018 (dosage: four grams per liter) is based on the 2012 vintage and includes 50% of reserve wines from vintages 2011 down to 2008. Intensely citrus colored, this is a pure, fresh, concentrated, very mineral and pure Chardonnay that still offers greenish citrus flavors. With great finesse and complexity on the palate, it is very elegant and pure as well as very long and expressive, with intense, powerful and well-concentrated but fresh and highly finessed fruit and vitality. There is lots of energy and tension here, lots of expression and length. Great complexity and vitality. This has huge aging potential. A great wine, indeed.(08/18)"
- Item #: i_377258Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS-"-An expressive skein of ground spice is the aromatic highlight of this finely balanced blanc de blancs, offering a refined and creamy bead, layered with flavors of poached pear, candied lemon zest, honey and pastry. Drink now through 2023. 11/13."
PETER LEIM CHAMPAGNEGUIDE.NET-"This is 60 percent Montgueux and 40 percent Le Mesnil and Oger; 70 percent of the blend comes from the base vintage of 2009, with the other 30 percent being reserve wine from 2008. It’s round and rich, showing the intrinsic opulence of Montgueux Chardonnay, and its flavors of ripe peach and citrus are generous and accessible, persisting with good length and plenty of aroma. Last tasted: 2/13."
- Item #: i_351619Bottle Size: 750mlThe name "Sous Éguison" refers to the cliff above the vineyard. The cliff offers protection from the North winds, which is a significant advantage given how harsh the climate is and how bitter the Spring frosts are at this altitude. The natural growth cycle of the vines is also slower and the grapes mature a full week later than at lower levels. The vineyard was planted by Caroline Lestime on a terroir which gives the Chardonnay varietal great power. This cuvee expresses the tradition and experience of great quality.
- Item #: i_352712Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92-94WINE ADVOCATE 92-94 POINTS: "The 2016 Chablis 1er Cru Montee de Tonnerre has such a pretty, winsome bouquet with scents of pressed white flowers, white peach, subtle smoke and walnut aromas. The palate is flinty on the entry with wonderful tension. This is not a powerful Chablis but one that emphasizes the terroir and is blessed with a precise, elegant and persistent finish. This is an outstanding effort by Benoît Droin and clearly the pick of his premier crus this year."
VINOUS 92-94 POINTS: "Light yellow-green. Captivating, soil-driven scents of lime skin, crushed rock, fresh herbs and caraway seed. In a distinctly cool style, despite the fact that Droin picked these vines later at 12.8% potential alcohol due to hydric stress here in August, but with noteworthy density to the slightly reduced flavors of anise and rock. Not hugely ripe but strong in extract and very long and saline on the slowly building aftertaste, finishing with a suggestion of silex. I love the cool minerality on display here."
- Item #: i_376514Bottle Size: 750MLANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS-"The NV (2015) Brut Nature Blanc de Blancs is once again one of the stars in the range, not to mention an absolutely insane value in the world of fine wine. Bright, sculpted and classy to the core, the 2015 dazzles from the very first taste. Citrus, mineral and floral notes abound in this super-expressive, finely-cut Blanc de Blancs. Crystalline and energetic, the Blanc de Blancs has so much to offer. The 2015 is a more than worthy follow up to the stellar 2013. Non-dosé. Disgorged: January 2018."
- Item #: i_352163Bottle Size: 750mlThe Borgeot brothers, Pascal and Laurent, are fourth generation winemakers. Their village Remigny is in the departement of Saone et Loire, so they are not in the Cote d’Or phone book, a source of eternal consternation for them, especially with the village of Santenay in site across the fields. Together, they work 48 acres of vines, half in red, half in white. The majority of these vines are 30 years old or older, with parcels of Santenay ‘Les Gravieres’ and Santenay ‘Vieilles Vignes’ older than 50 years. For over twenty years, their vines have received only organic fertilizers. They work the soil in winter to keep down weeds and increase micro-bacteriological activity. Where they have replanted, they have chosen strains of vines that are low yielding. All of these policies are aimed at bringing the harvest to full and perfect maturity as often as possible. Borgeot wines are floral and lemony in their youth, with spice and honey-drops as they develop. The Borgeot brothers, Pascal and Laurent, are fourth generation winemakers.
- Item #: i_378103Bottle Size: 750mlMousse's Anecdote is from a special parcel "Les Varosses" that features deep top soils over a base of green clay. This edition is 100% Chardonnay from the fine 2013 vintage. It was disgorged with a dosage of 5 grams/liter in August 2017. The result is a broad shouldered blancMousse's Anecdote is from a special parcel "Les Varosses" that features deep top soils over a base of green clay. This edition is 100% Chardonnay from the fine 2013 vintage. It was disgorged with a dosage of 5 grams/liter in August 2017. The result is a broad shouldered blanc de blancs with an inviting apple pastry nose followed in the mouth by a dazzlingly play of yellow and green summer fruits that take on a nutty aspect in the long, tangy finish. This definitely offers a whole lot of flavor excitement and complexity for the money. de blancs with an inviting apple pastry nose followed in the mouth by a dazzlingly play of yellow and green summer fruits that take on a nutty aspect in the long, tangy finish. This definitely offers a whole lot of flavor excitement and complexity for the money.
- Item #: i_378904Bottle Size: 750ml"Diapason" is the new name for Pascal’s Le Mesnil cuvee. The idea and name stem from the concept of bottling one terroir, "Mesnil", so you experience one pure note of Champagne, just as a diapason (French for tuning fork) gives you one pure note. This edition is 75% 2007, 21% 2006 and rest 2005. It was disgorged in July of 2017 with a modest dosage of 5 g/l. Fragrant aromas of citrus fruits mixed with notions of ginger and brown spices dominate the nose. The palate brims with pear, lemon drop, and patisserie inflections that are silky and harmonious. The minerality that one associates with this famous village emerges nicely in the enduring finish.
"Pascal Doquet's organic Champagnes are of great precision and among the very best that the Côte des Blancs has to offer. Highly recommended."-The Wine Advocate
- Item #: i_378660Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS-"This fresh blanc de blancs dances across the palate, with a fine, lacy mousse carrying flavors of green apple, lemon pastry cream, toast point and dried apricot. The clean-cut finish shows minerally hints of chalk and saline. Disgorged September 2017. Drink now through 2022. 680 cases imported."
- Item #: i_378777Bottle Size: 750mlHere is a regal mix of organically farmed Chardonnay from Cramant, Le Mesnil-Sur-Oger, Chouilly, Oiry, and Oger : five villages on the famous Côtes des Blancs with Grand Cru Classé status among the elite 17 (out of all of Champagne's 300 plus crus) that enjoy this distinction These are the fab five crus among which the firm's 20 acres of vines are distributed. The result here is a wine of finesse and precision with fresh, slightly saline flavors, that truly reflect the characteristics of its hallowed terrrior. In the glass the taster is treated to a silky, integrated effervescence that sets off a delightful, resonant play of lemon tinged Granny Smith apples, ruby red grapefruit, and blanched almonds. Here then is a pedigreed Blanc de Blanc that is sure to please the avid Champagne purist with a price that pleases as well.
- Item #: i_376943Bottle Size: 750mlWINERY NOTES-"Alphaël, angel of knowledge and light, embodies the pure expression of our Chardonnay Grand Cru: fresh and well balanced, with notes of citrus fruit. With its pale, golden aspect, and glints of emerald, it shimmers with a fine effervescence. The first nose, subtle and elegant, unveils notes of candied quince and a rich mineral essence. It then opens out into flavors of fresh fruit, such as peach, and light notes of orange zest. In the mouth, white flowers lead into the slightly roasted and gingerbread undertone of the finish."
Champagne Philippe Glavier is located in the Grand Cru village of Cramant in the Côte des Blancs. Philippe is a RM (Grower) who founded his winery in 1995 with 3 hectares of Grand Cru vineyards and married Véronique in 2000 who bought with her 1.4 hectares from her families' holdings from Grand Cru Côte des Blancs as well. With many small holdings spread over 47 different plots, this idea for the Gräce d'Alphael Non Vintage cuvée with the idea that these small plots will be picked at optimal maturity at harvest and separate microvinification to offer the possibility to make a single aromatic expression of Chardonnay, for each cuvée.
- Item #: i_350612Bottle Size: 750mlThe Domaine Robert-Denogent is a small but tenaciously quality-driven producer of Chardonnay wines based in the Mâconnais village of Fuissé in the warm climate of Southern Burgundy. Situated approximately 70 miles south of the better known Côte d’Or, an area that produces the most celebrated and expensive Burgundy wines, the most famous wine of the Mâcon sub-region is Pouilly Fuissé AOC.
Pouilly-Fuissé Les Reisses "Monopole", a parcel of 0.6 hectares of eighty two year old vines growing on clay soil.
These wines from Robert-Denogent offer quite amazing value with a wonderful richness of white and yellow fruits, intense minerality, great complexity and very good length which is, to be honest, more typical of the best white wines of the Côte de Beaune than the Mâconnais.
- Item #: i_352768Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92+WINE ADVOCATE 92+ POINTS - "A generous bouquet of marzipan and ripe pears that's subtly framed by new wood introduces the 2017 Pouilly-Fuissé En Bertillonne, a medium to full-bodied, deep and muscular wine that's textural and blocky in profile, with ripe underlying acids and a heady finish. Its structure and concentration are impressive, but it will merit a little bottle age."
- Item #: i_352769Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2017 Pouilly-Fuissé opens in the glass with an attractive bouquet of confit citrus, Anjou pear and blanched almonds. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, deep and fleshy, with ripe acids, a nicely concentrated core of fruit and good tension at the core despite its expressive profile."
- Item #: i_322224Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90James Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "This has a very fresh and pure lemon nose with iodine, wet-chalk and spiced almond-biscuit notes. The palate has a stunning array of lemons, peaches and grapefruit with a seamless, pastry-like texture and a late, flinty twist to the succulent, grapefruit finish. Drink or hold."