- Item #: i_345736Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 95Vinous Media: 95 PointsJames Suckling: 93Decanter: 95 PointsJeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsWINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "A bright, piercing style, with a beam of violet and iron racing forth, backed by bitter cherry and red currant coulis flavors. The finish is flecked with olive, chalk and savory details while staying very focused and pure.
DECANTER 95 POINTS - "This smells liked the baked slopes of Cornas; sun-warmed pine needles and dusty herbs, with a dab of tarry black fruit within. It has that raw, blood and iron Cornas character, backed by some slightly earthy, resinous scents. Full-bodied, it has a lovely freshness on the palate. It's mineral and tannic, bristling and writhing, with significant but not oversized savoury tannins on the finish. A good pick this year, especially as it will be good in its youth but also age well."
- Item #: i_351680Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The estate’s top wine is the 2016 Lirac Secret de la Grange, a 90-10 blend of Grenache and Syrah that never sees oak. This full-bodied blend is fabulously concentrated and lush, with ripe fruit flavors of raspberries and stone fruits, an intriguing hint of almond paste and a rich, long finish tinged with licorice. It should drink well for up to a decade."
- Item #: i_353133Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "Moving to the 2017s and starting with the base Châteauneuf Du Pape, it's a blend of 80% Grenache and 20% Syrah that was brought up mostly in demi-muids. Revealing a ruby/purple hue as well as notes of black raspberries, kirsch, garrigue, incense, and loamy soil and earth, this beauty hits the palate with beautiful depth of fruit, a layered, rounded, sexy texture, no hard edges, remarkable purity, and just tons of charm. Drink it any time over the coming decade or more."
- Item #: i_353426Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC, ORGANIC
A blend of roussanne, white grenache and marsanne with a touch of viognier – from the southern Rhône Valley. Deliciously rich, concentrated wine with mandarin, orange zest, toasted almond, apricot and subtle spice flavours. A complex, powerful wine that’s textural and mouthfilling.” – Bob Campbell MW Tasting Note: A blend of Rousanne, White Grenache and Marsanne, with a touch of Viognier. Barrel-aged for 8 months. The nose is powerful and expressive with citrus aromas and hints of toasted almonds and anise. In the mouth it has flavours of lime with good acidity and mineralogy, and a very long finish. Ideally coupled with foods such as salmon, game, poultry, rabbit, pâté and hard cheeses. Serve lightly chilled at 14ºC. Enjoy now or for five to six years.
- Item #: i_352778Bottle Size: 750mlClos Saint Jean Chateauneuf du Pape Blanc is produced from equal parts Grenache Blanc, Roussanne and Clairette. The wine is aged in a combination of new, French oak barrels and vats. The production is quite small with than less than 350 cases made per year.
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - " Review: "The whites here continue to improve. The 2018 Châteauneuf Du Pape Blanc offers a rocking bouquet of key lime pie, tangerine, and ripe peach that gives way to a powerful, opulent, medium to full-bodied white that has tons of flesh and texture, beautiful balance, and a great finish. This is a white for the dinner table."
- Item #: i_350560Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92-94Jeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS
"2015 Clos Saint Jean Châteauneuf-du- Pape Vieilles Vignes Coming from an old vine selection and a smaller production release for the US market, the 2015 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Vieilles Vignes tastes like the classic cuvée, only on steroids. Kirsch, loads of black and blue fruits, flowers and lavender notes all emerge from this full-bodied 2015 that has fine, fine tannin, solid mid-palate depth and a great finish. It certainly offers pleasure today, yet will keep for 10-15 years. I’ve written so many glowing reviews on the wines of Clos Saint Jean I sometimes feel like a broken record. Nevertheless, this estate continues to go from strength to strength and has yet to make a misstep since I’ve been reviewing the wines. The estate makes five separate red cuvees: a traditional cuvee based largely on Grenache from all the estate parcels; a Vieilles Vignes cuvee that’s slightly more Grenache dominated and from older vines (this cuvee is only for the US Market); the Combe des Fous based on Grenache, Syrah and Vaccarèse; the Sanctus Sanctorum which is 100% Grenache all from a single parcel in the la Crau lieu-dit; and lastly the Deus Ex Machina which is a 60/40 split of Grenache and Mourvèdre. Any of the three special cuvees would suffice as a dessert island wine for yours truly.
ROBERT PARKER 92-94 POINTS: "The 2015 reds from these two brothers are some of the gems in the vintage. Similar to the classic cuvée, except with another level of concentration and elegance, the 2015 Châteauneuf du Pape Vieilles Vignes sports a deep ruby/purple color to go with classic, Provençal notes of black cherries, cured meats, toasted spice and garrigue. Full-bodied, elegant, seamless, yet stacked and pleasure bent, it will shine from the get go and cruise for a decade or more."
- Item #: i_352779Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "As always, the 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape Vieilles Vignes has a touch more dark fruits, more concentration, and more structure, which makes it less approachable but more age-worthy. Blackcurrants, ground pepper, bouquet garni, crushed rocks, and garrigue notes all emerge from this structured, focused, yet ripe and beautifully textured Châteauneuf Du Pape that's going to benefit from 2-4 years of bottle age."
ROBERT PARKER 93 POINTS - "The 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape Vieilles Vignes starts off with scents of tapenade, then adds ripe cherries and cola notes. Dark and concentrated, it's full-bodied and open-knit, perhaps a bit coarser than the elegant 2016, with a touch of chocolate on the long finish. The Grenache in this cuvée was planted in 1905, making this a relative value among old-vine offerings."
- Item #: i_322198Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94-96ROBERT PARKER 91-93 POINTS: "Sourced from 60-year-old vines and aged in 15% to 20% new oak, the 2016 Saint Joseph l'Olivaie offers a concentrated mouthful of black olive and cherry fruit, a velvety texture and a long, cool finish. This medium to full-bodied wine should drink well on release and for up to decade. Young Jerôme Coursodon now farms 16 hectares in Saint Joseph, centered around Mauves, just outside Tournon. He considers the 2016s more approachable than the dense 2015s."
JEB DUNNUCK 91-93 POINTS: "Leading off the 2016s from barrel, the 2016 Saint Joseph L'Olivaie comes from the lieu-dit of the same name and vines averaging 60 years in age. It’s a ripe, concentrated beauty that's loaded with notions of black raspberries, scorched earth, spice and pepper. With medium to full-bodied richness, ripe, present tannin and a great finish, it's going to be a great value. I continue to love the wines from the young Jerome Coursodon, who pulls from roughly 16 hectares of vines all in the southern part of Saint Joseph, mostly just outside the village of Mauves. The 2015s are monster, blockbuster styled efforts that I suspect won’t appeal to the traditionalists out there, but are singular wines. The 2016s are more elegant and finesse-driven, yet still pack in more sweet fruit than just about everyone else out there."
- Item #: i_350392Bottle Size: 750mlAn expressive and seductive wine. The nose evokes a basket of fruits gilded by the sun, apricot, quince, peach and citrus fruits. Some sweet notes of flowers (lilac, rose and violet) and honey make the whole set even more charming. The mouth is gourmand and fresh, a beautiful spicy power and a bitterness thirst quenches the final reflecting us the image of this vintage.
- Item #: i_345247Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 93BIODYNAMICALLY FARMED
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Beaurenard has excelled this vintage. The 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape is no slouch, with ample richness, bold cherry and apricot fruit and attractive hints of dried spices and garrigue. Complex, full-bodied and supple, it finishes long and silky. It's two-thirds Grenache Noir, with the rest composed of the 17 other permitted grape varieties."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "nicely packed, with raspberry and plum compote flavors at the core, liberally lined with singed alder, tobacco and warm brick accents. The finish has a grippy edge, but this red stays fresh and driven overall. Best from 2020 through 2030.
- Item #: i_350882Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "From a cooler terroir of sandy soils just beside the domaine, the 2016 Gigondas Le Lieu Dit is another tour de force from this brilliant estate. It sports a medium ruby color as well as a rocking bouquet of kirsch, blackberry liqueur, rose petals, damp earth, incense, and spice. Ultra-fine, seamless, elegant, and pure, it's nevertheless powerful and rich, with awesome intensity. Readers need to snatch up this blockbuster."
- Item #: i_350613Bottle Size: 750mlVINOUS 94 POINTS: "Pale yellow. Displays ripe citrus and pit fruit scents that are accompanied by subtle honey and floral nuances. Silky and expansive on the palate, offering juicy tangerine, white peach and pear nectar flavors that are supported by an undercurrent of smoky minerality. The long, floral-driven finish shows fine definition and leaves behind twinges of tarragon and lemon balm."
- Item #: i_353134Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Coming in (rating-wise) right where I projected it would last year, Giraud's 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape is a terrific example of a cuvée tradition. At 80% Grenache, 15% Syrah and 5% Mourvèdre, it's a pretty typical blend yet one that exceeds expectations. It's full-bodied, plush and velvety, showing ample ripeness—raspberries, cherries, and stone fruit—without going over the top into cooked fruit. No, it doesn't show that much complexity at this age, but some of that will emerge over the next decade or so."
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "I loved the 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape, and I’d certainly be happy with a case in the cellar. Offering a pure, elegant, incredibly Grenache-driven profile of sweet black raspberries, incense, violets, and garrigue, it’s medium to full-bodied, ethereal, and elegant on the palate. It’s already hard to resist yet will keep for 10-15 years."
- Item #: i_351583Bottle Size: 750mlRouchier is one of the smallest productions, he total vineyard area of the Domaine is only 1.5 hectares, worked solely by husband and wife team Christian and Martine. In the Heart of Saint Joseph, Rouchier produces two 100% Syrah Lieu-dits, Luc, a .5 hectare parcel planted in 1972 on clay on Schist soils. The other parcel, Chave, is a one-hectare plot planted in 1958 on granite. Both vineyards are organic, and like a handful of producers in the Rhone valley, Rouchier bottles their wines naturally with no sulfur added and is the first we have seen apply these principles to Saint Joseph. These are very pure and juicy bottlings of Syrah in Saint Joseph with the Chave shows more vineyard expression; both are serious. Rouchier has been polishing there wines creating fresh examples and leaning away from the ultra-rustic style that their first vintages saw.
- Item #: i_351595Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "A bright, fresh, mineral-driven style, with mouthwatering white pepper and rose petal notes gilding a core of damson plum and blood orange flavors. The long, sleek finish is mouthwatering. Drink now through 2030."
- Item #: i_334203Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92Wine Spectator: 92James Suckling: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "A fresh, dark-cherry and stone nose with attractive purity of fruit here. The palate has a very succulent, quite grainy and deeply ripe feel with a super rich, concentrated and bold serving of ripe dark plums and blackberries. Impressive."
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Baking spices, cola and raspberry notes all appear on the nose of the 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape. It's full-bodied and velvety, folding in hints of French roast and dark chocolate on the lingering finish. It should drink well for a decade or more."
JEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "Lots of lavender, garrigue, peppery herbs, and rocking dark fruits emerge from the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape. With medium to full body, ripe, polished tannins, and a great finish, it’s unquestionably an outstanding wine. It’s already hard to resist yet will benefit from 2-4 years of bottle age and cruise for a decade."
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Solidly built, featuring cherry and plum paste notes, laced with stony minerality, tobacco and garrigue accents. This has grip but remains well-integrated, ending with subtle persistence on the cedar-tinged finish. Best from 2020 through 2030"
- Item #: i_353037Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95ROBERT PARKER 94 POINTS: "A special cuvée made for American importer Peter Weygandt, the 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee Girard includes a bit more old-vine Grenache, and it shows in the wine's increased elegance. It's more floral than the regular bottling, with scents of tea and roses, but it's also darker and richer, with black cherry fruit, a velvety mouthfeel and a long, layered finish."
- Item #: i_352376Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Wine Spectator: 93Vinous Media: 92 PointsJames Suckling: 94Decanter: 92 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "Wow. This has such attractive dark plums and berries with chocolate and cocoa, as well as ripe red and dark cherries. The complexity and depth is striking here. The palate carries so much flavor and so much detail. So lush. Rich dark fruit, cocoa and red-cherry pip to close. Drink over the next decade or more. This has plenty in the tank."
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "Moving back south, the 2017 Gigondas is another terrific vintage for this cuvée, and it’s a quintessential expression of Saint Cosme. Ground herbs, graphite, gunpowder, pepper, black raspberries, and cassis all emerge from this full-bodied, ripe, polished Gigondas. With solid concentration, building yet ripe tannins, and a great finish, you’ll be thrilled to have a case in the cellar."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS This offers a mix of dark cherry, currant and blackberry compote flavors, scored liberally with singed alder, dried sage and warm earth accents through the finish. A flash of chestnut at the very end keeps this in the old-school camp. Solid for the vintage. Best from 2022 through 2035."
- Item #: i_353439Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92-94Jeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 92-94 POINTS - "Blended on the spot from several different barrels, the 2018 Gigondas looks very promising. Asphalt, black cherries and tapenade feature on the nose, while the palate is almost painfully intense, with ample weight, great richness and a long, velvety finish."
JEB DUNNUCK 92-94 POINTS - "Moving to the Gigondas releases, the 2018 Gigondas (which now always includes the grapes that previously went into the Valbelle cuvée) is a drop-dead gorgeous wine that readers should snatch up. Tons of blackberry fruit, peppery herbs, violets, and wildflower notes all give way to a medium to full-bodied Gigondas that has the rounded, sexy style of the vintage front and center. I love it, and while it’s going to be drinkable right out of the gate, it’s going to keep for 15-20 years."